• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiritual successor to Nintendo Power, "Nintendo Force" announced

farnham

Banned
I'm skeptical that a bunch of Nintendo bloggers starting a "magazine" with no publisher backing constitutes in any way a spiritual successor to Nintendo Power... Or even how this team will deliver something different than the blogs they already write for already does.

Many Other game journalists are not that better than blogger themselves... However if you are talking about funding i agree.

If they have any sense, it'll have a robust digital component that could continue if the paper version flops. Given the pedigree of key staff involved, I'd say that's very likely.

Nintendo is too secretive, and third party platform support is minimal. Couple that with an audience that is notorious for freaking out over anything less than glowing reviews and you have a "magazine" with minimal content and an incredibly limited audience. Not really seeing how they will generate a critical mass of advertising revenue either...

Nintendo is too secretive, and third party platform support is minimal. Couple that with an audience that is notorious for freaking out over anything less than glowing reviews and you have a "magazine" with minimal content and an incredibly limited audience. Not really seeing how they will generate a critical mass of advertising revenue either...

Actually Nintendo Power were some of the harshest critics of Nintendo's own 1st party games. I agree that the revenue won't be substantial though.

Damn, was hoping it'd be like an Axem Rangers spinoff or something due to the name.

Axem.gif

:(

Oh shoot, I never realized...it's come to pass!

Darryl

Banned
could be cool, i'll try to subscribe if they're doing print. this sounds much more promising than the other copycats like "Pure Nintendo"

I'm skeptical that a bunch of Nintendo bloggers starting a "magazine" with no publisher backing constitutes in any way a spiritual successor to Nintendo Power... Or even how this team will deliver something different than the blogs they already write for already does.

maybe they're hoping that if they gathered together all of the willing talent, nintendo would give them the name

Does it bother anyone else that no one from NP is part of the team? That, plus calling it a spiritual sequel so soon after NP's death makes them look more like vultures than saviors

Does it bother anyone else that no one from NP is part of the team? That, plus calling it a spiritual sequel so soon after NP's death makes them look more like vultures than saviors

Kind of but looking at the crew I'm much more interested to see what they could do as opposed to the old NP team that honestly didn't really do anything interesting.

With a synonymous name and similar logo's, yes.

I'll wait and see, before passing judgement, but I'm not impressed with their approach so far.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I don't see the point or benefit of this. They've got some talented artists and some decent writers trying to piggyback off of fondness and nostalgia of a magazine from our childhood. Given Nintendo's iron curtain, this feels much like a Nintendo-themed Polygon equivalent.

As in, the quality of the material will be the same as that currently gets aggregated on RMC's site. Some will be great, some will suck, and most of us won't care.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Until Nintendo opens up to people and actually starts letting in a bunch of people into their dev houses, or unless they can get consisten reveals, any Nintendo dedicated magazine is going to fall apart. I do really like the people over at Nintendoworldreport though.

Exactly, I stopped subscribing to nintendo power because it didn't have any info that was worthwhile. The era of the wii and the deluge of shovelware didn't help matters either.

chris3116

If it's digital, it could work with maybe a website and an app for the mobile. If it's printed, I don't see them to be there for a long time.

They're not in it for the money, though. According to a tweet from Neal Ronaghan, it's a labour of love. Personally, I'm very excited. :)

Anyone can say they're not in it for the money, that remains to be seen. I'd like to think this isn't just profiteering, but i guess I'm a naturally suspicious guy.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Agreed - Corbie was one of the few people taking an interest in WiiWare when it was just starting, and always pretty fair.

Jon Kay guarantees an instant level of awesome, too.

LOOK AT THE AWESOME

I have this shirt. It's one of my favourites from Fangamer.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Honestly, a bunch of bloggers, webcomic artists and twitterers coming together to form a gaming magazine/website is about as legitimate as anything else in game journalism, so I don't see a problem with it. Good luck to them.

Neiteio

Hmm, RMC + Mother 3 guide alumni + Brawl in the Family... It won't be a true spiritual successor to Nintendo Power, but it could be something special all the same.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
A magazine with people from blogs like ********** (lolbanned), ehhh... Say goodbye to any credibility.

Top Bottom