• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiritual successor to Nintendo Power, "Nintendo Force" announced

Sadist

Mock if old

Website + opening statement
Facebook page
Twitter

Details about the first issue coming soon

Staff working on it

8XFNd.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm skeptical that a bunch of Nintendo bloggers starting a "magazine" with no publisher backing constitutes in any way a spiritual successor to Nintendo Power... Or even how this team will deliver something different than the blogs they already write for already does.

Nintendo World Report + GN + Nintendo Life = Win

I don't visit the other sites.

Yay! Can't wait. Guess it'll be a PDF and not a actual magazine, tho that would be cool. Sadly, your probably gonna need a credit card for this. Please sell it on amazon so I can get it with gift cards.

Edit: or as a subscription on iTunes.

Wow. I never expected to see Jon Kay and Camille Young working on this. It's almost as if Fangamer's taking over the next Nintendo generation's childhood!

Almost.

I'm skeptical that a bunch of Nintendo bloggers starting a "magazine" with no publisher backing constitutes in any way a spiritual successor to Nintendo Power... Or even how this team will deliver something different than the blogs they already write for already does.

Until Nintendo opens up to people and actually starts letting in a bunch of people into their dev houses, or unless they can get consisten reveals, any Nintendo dedicated magazine is going to fall apart. I do really like the people over at Nintendoworldreport though.

GameE

Im sorry but I dont see the point of this. There are like 2 other 'np revivals" just this like. If Nintendo isnt backing it whats the point? It will just be a lot of old news, previews you can find online, etc.

Gonna have to agree. Is this even an actual magazine you can buy in stores?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Nintendo Power's problem wasn't a lack of good talent. It was that print magazines are going obsolete, and it's harder than ever to convince people to pay for content when gaming news hits the internet literally the minute anything is announced.

Maybe if there were an officially-sanctioned Nintendo magazine that came with a Playstation Plus-style service it would stand a chance (e.g. join Nintendo Power for $20/year, get discounts on downloadable games, bonus content for Nintendo's built-in games, a special designation on your profile, etc.)

But the idea that you can throw together a team of people to write about video games, and convince people to pay for it, seems rather outdated.

onipex

Iwata Asks, that 3DS Show (and whatever the Wii U may get) and Nintendo Directs really kill the need the need for this.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So many people involved. Even the great guy who does the "Brawl in the Family" strips. Intrigued.

Until Nintendo opens up to people and actually starts letting in a bunch of people into their dev houses, or unless they can get consisten reveals, any Nintendo dedicated magazine is going to fall apart. I do really like the people over at Nintendoworldreport though.

They don't need exclusive content or reveals.

In the end, all it boils down to is having quality/insightful reviews and articles, keeping up to speed with news, and establishing a steady stream of content, whether it be videos or images.

NateDrake

They don't need exclusive content or reveals.

In the end, all it boils down to is having quality/insightful reviews and articles, keeping up to speed with news, and establishing a steady stream of content, whether it be videos or images.

But their websites should do this already. So the need for a magazine isn't needed.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I wish they'd reconsider the name, even though the reasoning is obvious. It just gives it a bad ring in a post-Internet world.

EulaCapra

I hope they change their 2 logos. One looks like an athletic shoe brand while the other looks like Nintendo Power font circa 1992.

Still intrigued. Good luck to them.

Print or digital?

Everything looks good except Daan Koopman. Dude's annoying as shit on the Famicast. Let other people talk man, stop talking over people.

But their websites should do this already. So the need for a magazine isn't needed.

Exactly, they need something different than what their websites currently offer. People don't want a magazine just for the hell of wanting a magazine. I would be much more interested in a website composed of all these people.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Interesting. I assume this one's not owned by Future (Else why even end Nintendo Power?) but I do like Jonathan Holmes. But still.. will this one be available digital? This is 2012, paper magazines are just so outdated. But I might be convinced to get a subscription on my iPad.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
With Jon Kay on designer duties, I'm going to say being amazing to look at will probably constitute one significant facet of their 'something different' quotient.

NateDrake

Exactly, they need something different than what their websites currently offer. People don't want a magazine just for the hell of wanting a magazine. I would be much more interested in a website composed of all these people.

Of all the people mentioned, I think only RMC doesn't do much original content in comparison to the rest. If it goes digital, then it has a shot. Maybe they can do 2 issues a month or something with a digital format.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Not sure what to take away from the name. Are they planning to force their passion for Nintendo onto other people?

Why change the name?? Why not just reopen NP? Logo looks identical..

Either way, I'm down. Don't want to see NP die, even though this means it has.

radcliff

I'm willing to give this a shot. I just hope they don't just try to be another EGM or GI. Try and differentiate yourselve if you want to get noticed. I like how GameFan (when they bother to release their issues) take game reviews to another level. Their Sin & Punishment: Star Successor review was amazing. Over a dozen pages, all original self-taken screenshots (not the standard stock shots every magazine uses), and developer interview. This compared to the 1/4 page 1 paragraph review the game received from EGM. Dedicate more pages to the non-block busters that are ususally ignored by the likes of EGM and GI. I would definately support something like that.

C-Drive

That striped line background is kind of irritating to read on. Also I wish they had made the twitter/facebook links clickable.

I'm hoping this turns into more of a Nintendo blog that produces a magazine, than a magazine that contains Nintendo bloggers.

Top Bottom