• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2: Map Rotation Now 2 Hours Instead of 4

Plum

Credit to J@hranimo for finding this

So it seems that, from a recent EDGE interview with the game's Producer Hisashi Nogami, Splatoon 2 will be reducing the wait time between map-changes from 4 hours down to 2. Thought the news was major enough to deserve its own thread.

EDGE said:
Though with just two maps, one brand-new main weapon and a single game type, we're left with as many questions as answers. Happily, Nogami is able to answer some of them, including the reason behind the team's decision to limit the map rotation to two at a time. ”We feel that part of the gameplay is actually selecting which weapons would be best for that combination of two maps," he explains. ”In Splatoon 2, the maps rotate every two hours, so it'll be a much faster cycle than the previous game."

Source

Splat me if old.

kulapik

Hopefully by Splatoon 4 there will be no rotation and the players will be able to choose like Mario Kart.

Orayn

I really like Splatoon's system. As someone who doesn't devote a ton of time to most competitive MP shooters, repeating a small selection helps me learn the maps a lot better in a shorter period of time.

A big improvement, though I hope the quicker rotation doesn't break your win-streak counter and bonus the way it does in the first game.

The map rotation system is fine, especially over multiple map selections for different game modes, but needed to be more frequent. This is the right call: two hours is long enough to cater your loadout to the maps, learn the nooks and crannies, and get into a groove, but short enough to keep things interesting for people who can only log in for a few matches on a given day.

Extending this to a rotation of three maps per two hours would be perfect, but at least now we're that much closer.

I also hope Splatfests don't lock everybody to the same maps all day like they used to. In any case, this bodes well for a larger map selection at launch than we saw in the first game.

EulaCapra

I'm fine with that but oh dear God, they better reduce the amount of times we gotta press the A-button to scroll through stage announcements.

blamite

I like the concept of the rotation, since it gives you a chance to really get acquainted with a couple specific maps in a more focused way, or know when you can avoid maps you don't like, but just 2 maps or rotation is maybe one too few? 3 per two hours might be a good middle ground? And maybe some specific times when they just go crazy and put everything in the rotation for a while?

I guess this setup is fine with me. As long as they never go to a map voting system.

Why not just have all maps left available from the get-go? I never played the original, but this doesn't seem like a very good design idea at all. What if I can only play once a day for half an hour each time? This means that I'd hypothetically have a 1 in 4 chances that I'd be playing the same damn set of maps each time I picked up the game. Sure, maybe I'd somehow be able to play one set for 10 minutes and the other for 20 or something like that, but the point still stands.

I had no idea maps didn't rotate normally.
What's their reasoning for this?

So you play on all the maps and learn different weapons since few weapons work on every map. Like a sniper player doesn't only play on a stage that favors snipers. Doing that would make the game dull for that player quick as hell.

Before it was two stages for four hours which was obscene. Two hours is so much better.

Protome

Can we at least skip the repetitive boring spiel from the hosts this time? That was the real worst part about that system. I don't need to read your goddamn map description again.

Alienous

So if I want to play Splatoon 2 for an hour I have to bounce between two maps?

How stupid.

I wonder if they ever think to themselves why other multiplayer games haven't adopted this idea.

Majine

Banned
I've never played Splatoon.

You can't get different maps one game to the next?! (Within that timeframe). That sounds Nintendo-crazy, and not in a good way.

plank

I don't understand why they can't make it like MK8, where players select a stage and the game randomizes those selections?

Hip Hop

I've never played Splatoon.

You can't get different maps one game to the next?! (Within that timeframe). That sounds Nintendo-crazy, and not in a good way.

agreed.

this is dumb.

just let people vote for what they want to play.

Alienous

Have they justified 2 hour rotations?

Wouldn't hour long rotations also allow someone to pick a loadout to suit the maps? Hell, half-hour rotations should allow that too.

Because you're supposed to choose which weapons to use on said selection of maps. Some are better suitedthan others.

How hard is this to understand I have no idea
You should also be able to have easy to equip loadouts in between matches. Then you could switch between what gun to use whenever the map is picked. This is basic online shooter stuff and the development team is just leaving it out.

Luigi87

Bring back Flounder Heights 24/7
lololol

Edit: Really though, I'm fine with the rotation system, because I feel if it was user controlled it would get to a point where people would just vote for the same 2-3 maps only.
Edit 2: Being said, increasing it to 3/4 maps would be nice.

Nanashrew

Banned
The point is to teach you about the levels you play on and learning what weapons are good for the stages because not all weapons are suitable.

Just choosing the favorites means many maps will get ignored. And If you want to do that, you have the option to make rooms with friends.

Roboculus

The same maps for two hours? Hell no.

If you think that's bad, imagine it being 4 hours.

I really don't like this map rotation idea but if you're gonna do it, at least throw in a lot more maps per rotation. 2 maps is just way too repetitive.

Neiteio

How long is an average match? Aren't they like 3 or 5 minutes long? I almost wonder how well a one-hour rotation would work with three maps, provided they guarantee alternating between them in order (Map A, Map B, Map C, repeat). Then you get another three maps in the next hour.

Top Bottom