• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

13ruce

Banned
I was aiming a grenade at a Flyfish, and another player bumped into me and altered my aim, and I missed.

It cost us the wave.

c92.gif

I love that gif lmao.

New dialogue is too strong, these two are adorable.

Amazing.... That Marina tattoo i am getting is now even more justified.
sorry Pearl already have enough video game character tattoo's planned and i don't want too much of em, youre still awesome tho! Will buy your amiibo:p also because i mainly wanted someone for octoling reprensentation cuz i want the squid sisters too (inklings).

h0tp0ck3t

This game doesn't want me to get fresh with the hero brella :( I went from 9.5 all the way down to 4.
I got fresh on the regular brella with an easy 10 game win streak when I was friggin drunk why is it so hard to do the same with the cooler looking hero brella? Why do I even care?

This game doesn't want me to get fresh with the hero brella :( I went from 9.5 all the way down to 4.
I got fresh on the regular brella with an easy 10 game win streak when I was friggin drunk why is it so hard to do the same with the cooler looking hero brella? Why do I even care?

I feel your pain, I was 24 with the sploosh and fell under 15 two days ago.

Koren

Any way to check the app gear "store" without a phone?

(Or better, use it without a phone ?)

It's also important to know which bosses you can't kill. Like, if you've got the dualies, don't try to shoot a Steelhead(unless you're above him). You're never gonna hit him.
I'm pretty sure I killed a couple of them with dualies without any height advantage (by being really close and jumping), so in case of an emergency... you could always try. But that's stupid to pick that as your primary target...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Tablet.

I'm pretty sure I killed a couple of them with dualies without any height advantage (by being really close and jumping), so in case of an emergency... you could always try. But that's stupid to pick that as your primary target...
I think I've killed steelheads with virtually all weapons so far. I've also missed it three times in a row with a sniper : /

Koren

I meant, with a normal, Windows/Linux computer ;)

I think I've killed steelheads with virtually all weapons so far. I've also missed it three times in a row with a sniper : /
I don't remember 3 in a row, but I wouldn't rule out the fact that I did it too... When you're pushed by "things", that's something that happens...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I meant, with a normal, Windows/Linux computer ;)

Try BlueStacks android emu, could be windows-only, though.

Alternatively, get one of the nice new chromebooks with full android appstore support ; ]

Toadsili T

Neo Member

We have a bot on the Discord server that pulls the information of Splatnet2 and displays all the currently available gear as a browsable list. It also displays what the original main ability on the piece of gear is compared to the store's unique main, which is quite handy.

Alas, it's yet another step of software you need. The only other method I know is to use the one blu mentioned; the Bluestacks android emulator.

The thing is that I just added funds in my US account the other day and the whole region handling makes me pause. I read a poster somewhere saying that he bought a foreign version and couldn't find players in the afternoon. Maybe it's bullshit but it's concerning.
How important are Splatfest for the 'experience' of the game ? I'm a Splatoon noob, are they worth buying your region's version or is it a matter a choosing if fries are better than chicken without any importance at all ?
I get the feeling I will have to buy the EU version and that pisses me off with the euro pricing, and that's without talking about the 50 bucks I just dropped in my US account.

What I get from this is (and I really don't want to be a nintendo hater here) that 2017 Nintendo isn't region locked. Except when they don't accept your cc or paypal. Except when the game doesn't offre multilanguage support. Except when some online events may be region locked.
It's not the end of the world but I will need to do a lot more research before buying a switch game than a ps4 one.

Are there sites that details included games languages ?
What would you do in my place knowing that I'm european, buy the EU version ?
Splatfests are pretty integral to the Splatoon experience imo. It usually lasts for a day and gives you rewards based on how much you play. And while Splatfest is happening, regular turf wars and ranked modes are locked out until splatfest is over. You don't have to play at all, but voting for a side will at least get you super snails, which help with making your gear better. Voting and actually playing can net you more super snails.

Here is a page with more details on splatfest:
https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Splatfest

Regiruler

Superfresh with everything is going to take an eternity.

I hate how neither splatfests nor ranked count.

Li Kao

Splatfests are pretty integral to the Splatoon experience imo. It usually lasts for a day and gives you rewards based on how much you play. And while Splatfest is happening, regular turf wars and ranked modes are locked out until splatfest is over. You don't have to play at all, but voting for a side will at least get you super snails, which help with making your gear better. Voting and actually playing can net you more super snails.

Here is a page with more details on splatfest:
https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Splatfest

Thanks, I played it safe and bought the EU version yesterday, in order to be sure to have the best online experience.
That being said, please don't hurt me I'm just trying to make sense of this region thingy, if I play the EU version with an US account, I will be still be treated as an EU player, right ?*
Damn these limitations, I long for the day where these silly things are in the past.

* I always use my US account, wouldn't be really enjoyable to have to make a mind rule to think about using another account to play one specific game, hence the question

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Thanks, I played it safe and bought the EU version yesterday, in order to be sure to have the best online experience.
That being said, please don't hurt me I'm just trying to make sense of this region thingy, if I play the EU version with an US account, I will be still be treated as an EU player, right ?*
Damn these limitations, I long for the day where these silly things are in the past

The game doesn't care what the region of the account you use to play it is. Matchmaking is determined primarily by your ping to other players (acting as a quasi regional filter). Splatfest participation is first determined by the game version region (EU/US&Oceania/JPN) to figure out which event you are playing in, and then by ping ontop of that.

Li Kao

The game doesn't care what the region of the account you use to play it is. Matchmaking is determined primarily by your ping to other players (acting as a quasi regional filter). Splatfest participation is first determined by the game version region (EU/US&Oceania/JPN) to figure out which event you are playing in, and then by ping ontop of that.

Perfect, thanks for this.

Branduil

I just played with the dumbest motherfuckers in profressional ever. First wave, high tide, Goldie Seeking. This should be the easiest shit ever, and yet no one fucking helps me. I find the Goldie three fucking times and no one gets eggs, no one puts them in the basket. I collected 5 eggs out of the 11 total we got, and would have got more if anyone else had fucking done anything. How does the game rank up these witless dumbasses. It's criminal that there's no way to report Salmon Run players.

Had a headscratcher set of rounds where I picked up the Dynamo roller for fun and ended up having the highest K/D of not only my teams but frequently the whole match (12-0 being the best) then after a good streak of that the game decided I'd had enough fun and started repeatedly putting me on sturgeon shipyard vs a team of competent all-ranged peeps (splattershot pro, jet squelcher, sniper, etc) who locked my team down so hard we couldn't even get out of spawn ¬.¬
It made me appreciate how hard it is to break a spawn lockdown on that map, plus it doesn't favour close range much (not that a dynamo is a close range weapon, but I wasn't about to win a straight fight at range against proper long range shooters with it.) It certainly explains why I have a fairly easy time on there with my splatling normally :p

But yeah, Dynamo's definitely not a great weapon, especially against a purely long-ranged team on sturgeon shipyard, but it was otherwise surprisingly fun and I'm surprised I did as well as I did with it. Also interesting to realise that the horizontal swing still has it's place on the weapon (mostly if you get stuck up close against multiple enemies) and it's not just all vertical swings.

http://splatoon2db.info/tips/judgekuntest

Judd test
- left team wins
- right team wins

I got 'child judge' (aka lil jud) rank, 8/10.
2nd and 10th maps are what got me :p

edit
what is the most useful weapon for dealing with Steelheads,btw? The charger?
Yeah, Chargers are great against them as you can one-shot the bomb at least with the e-litre. Any long-range is good though, including jet squelcher, splattershot pro or the like as it means you don't have to get close or find something high to overcome the steelhead's height and reach the bomb.

Ooh, SR is being really ass today. Barely making quota every round, and lots of wipes. This game is so frustrating, I don't know why I play it. I don't ever actually have fun.

Ooh, SR is being really ass today. Barely making quota every round, and lots of wipes. This game is so frustrating, I don't know why I play it. I don't ever actually have fun.

Sometimes I play salmon run because I'm in the mood for it and it's fun. Sometimes I play it just because it's there and I may as well fill out the reward track. Today was the second reason :p

BenN

......Splatfest participation is first determined by the game version region (EU/US&Oceania/JPN) to figure out which event you are playing in, and then by ping ontop of that.

Hmm, how is the games region determined really...are the game cards not region free?

I'm in New Zealand, and generally our stock is the same as Australian stock, which is generally the same as EU stock.
Case covers however have re-printed Australasian details for company contacts, age ratings etc but discs and cards are mostly identical to EU versions.

Technically New Zealand/Australia may fall under Oceania...which you classify as "US & Oceania" region. Makes no real sense if we have the EU game cards...?
(I know I do for sure anyway as I buy from a UK based retailer that sells directly to NZ for almost half the price!)

So, my region on the switch is set to New Zealand, but I have a EU splatoon 2 gamecard.
Matchmaking is really hit or miss, some nights is fine, some nights a bit slow, other nights its almost completely non existent...like in the last splatfest...I think i managed to get into three, maybe 4 matches over a 3-4 hour period of waiting in lobbies.

I hope this isn't going to be the case for all splatfests :/

D.Lo

Hmm, how is the games region determined really...are the game cards not region free?

I'm in New Zealand, and generally our stock is the same as Australian stock, which is generally the same as EU stock.
Case covers however have re-printed Australasian details for company contacts, age ratings etc but discs and cards are mostly identical to EU versions.

Technically New Zealand/Australia may fall under Oceania...which you classify as "US & Oceania" region. Makes no real sense if we have the EU game cards...?
(I know I do for sure anyway as I buy from a UK based retailer that sells directly to NZ for almost half the price!)

So, my region on the switch is set to New Zealand, but I have a EU splatoon 2 gamecard.
Matchmaking is really hit or miss, some nights is fine, some nights a bit slow, other nights its almost completely non existent...like in the last splatfest...I think i managed to get into three, maybe 4 matches over a 3-4 hour period of waiting in lobbies.

I hope this isn't going to be the case for all splatfests :/
Splatoon 2 has three, hard coded versions, Japan, US+Oceania, EU. Game cards are region free and work worldwide, but have separate coding set up for their region for Splatfest and some other stuff like language.

Australia/NZ is in the US region for Splatoon 2. Nintendo Australia has always used US stock for their region free consoles (eg GB, DS, GBA), and has only used EU stock for non-region free consoles/handhelds (3DS and all home consoles until now). This has been the case for over 20 years now, we got ERSB warnings in GBA games, but EU copies for disc systems and N64.

So if you have an EU copy in AU/NZ, you're gonna have a bad time. Should have bought locally, as that's what it is set up for. The US is much closer to Australia/NZ than Europe so it makes sense to use US copies and put Oceania in a US region when they can.

BenN

Splatoon 2 has three, hard coded versions, Japan, US+Oceania, EU. Game cards are region free and work worldwide, but have separate coding set up for their region for Splatfest and some other stuff like language.

Australia/NZ is in the US region for Splatoon 2. Nintendo Australia has always used US stock for their region free consoles (eg GB, DS, GBA), and has only used EU stock for non-region free consoles/handhelds (3DS and all home consoles until now). This has been the case for over 20 years now, we got ERSB warnings in GBA games, but EU copies for disc systems and N64.

So if you have an EU copy in AU/NZ, you're gonna have a bad time. Should have bought locally, as that's what it is set up for. The US is much closer to Australia/NZ than Europe so it makes sense to use US copies and put Oceania in a US region when they can.

Cool, thanks for the clarification, makes sense! Especially for splatoon 2's netcode. Got to be wary of this going forward.

Curious though if i sold my EU splatoon 2, grabbed a NZ/US copy woudl my game progress carry over? (I know it's not saved to the game card, just wonder if progress woudl be compatible to the different card versions)

I Also have a EU mario kart 8 deluxe, which must not have the same thing, as online works flawlessly. Is there info out there on what other switch games use the same regional set up for online?

Doorman

I wish I could quit the Carbon Roller. The Custom Jr does a better job of spamming that kit's sub and special, but there's still something about the CJr that turns me off to it. I like the Carbon's aggressive playstyle, but it still comes with a lot of crap on its own when that aggression often leads to flicks that don't connect, or do but don't seemingly do anything. Especially in the current explosive-special-heavy meta, that need to get close and rack up kills is ludicrously-risky. And yet...there's still just something to it that other weapons can't quite fulfill. Makes me regret that I've fallen off my Sploosh use so much, but I've seen too many other people who are so much more effective with that thing that it feels like a waste of time for me to flounder through it right now.

At least I'll still have Clash? Aha. Ha. Ha.
I've been trying to fight the temptation to give Luna Blaster more of a shot over Clash lately now that the Baller is what it is, but man even if it's more effective I would not feel clean about it.

D.Lo

Curious though if i sold my EU splatoon 2, grabbed a NZ/US copy woudl my game progress carry over? (I know it's not saved to the game card, just wonder if progress woudl be compatible to the different card versions)
No idea. I have Japanese cart and an US/AU digital copy and they store player data separately, so I'd say it is unlikely. They literally have different code on the cart so the Switch sees them as separate games, at least between JP/US.

I Also have a EU mario kart 8 deluxe, which must not have the same thing, as online works flawlessly. Is there info out there on what other switch games use the same regional set up for online?
MK8 has one version worldwide, and just uses your local account, so no issues there.

This thread has the info on many worldwide versions, though is focused on Japan.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349430

BenN

No idea. I have Japanese cart and an US/AU digital copy and they store player data separately, so I'd say it is unlikely. They literally have different code on the cart so the Switch sees them as separate games, at least between JP/US.

MK8 has one version worldwide, and just uses your local account, so no issues there.

This thread has the info on many worldwide versions, though is focused on Japan.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349430

Thanks again for the info!

I guess it comes down to if I want to buy (and possibly start) again to participate in splatfests.
The regional thing only affects splatfests and languages as previously mentioned here?
Not Turf war/ranked/salmon run?

Otherwise the EU version is working (mostly) fine for me except for the odd night of very slow matching making from time to time.

When is the next splatfest...might be the test case for making the version switch if i still cant get into any matches easily.

Cool, thanks for the clarification, makes sense! Especially for splatoon 2's netcode. Got to be wary of this going forward.

Nope, everything would start over. It's basically a completely different game. (Recently bought the JP version, main copy is NA)

BenN

Nope, everything would start over. It's basically a completely different game. (Recently bought the JP version, main copy is NA)

Cool...well I caved already and ordered a NZ copy of Splatoon 2...guess I'm starting all over again when it arrives.

With you having both NZ and JP copies, on your switch home screen do you now have 2 separate Splatoon 2 game launcher icons?

Does it download patches to each version? Should I clear my switch of splatoon2 data before plugging in the new region cart?

thansk1

D.Lo

Cool...well I caved already and ordered a NZ copy of Splatoon 2...guess I'm starting all over again when it arrives.

With you having both NZ and JP copies, on your switch home screen do you now have 2 separate Splatoon 2 game launcher icons?

Does it download patches to each version? Should I clear my switch of splatoon2 data before plugging in the new region cart?

thansk1
Yes two icons. Yes separate patches.

What's super weird is you only need one Nintendo Switch App - it links to S2 version that user last played. SO mine Switches between Japan and US/AU. I do't use Japanese one much, mostly just for the Splatfest.

BenN

I'm quite curious to see how general matchmaking speed is going to be on the NZ copy when it arrives (for turf/salmon and ranked), and whether those modes are even affected by the region "locking".

Initially I thought it was terrible on my Eu copy (and it still is occasionally) but now that I have had more time with it (nightly playing), on average its not too bad...but still way way slower than splatoon 1.

I know the general consensus is that it's slow all around (I saw someone in the game last night whose mii verse style speech bubble was complaining about super slow matchmaking) but still will be interesting to be able to compare.

Top Bottom