• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Spent a ton of time using the Brella this weekend and I officially have a new favorite weapon. It's just so gosh-darn versatile! It's also the first weapon that I really like using the sub and ultimate for. I don't see myself switching to another weapon anytime soon.

DrArchon

How can people put 40 hours into this game and not know how to play at all? I'm playing with people who stand in place while shooting to cover ground even though the enemy team has a charger on the high ground. And then they end up with 0 kills 5 deaths and 300 points of turf covered.

Fuck everything about this game's matchmaking. "Let's put all the Aerosprays on one team", "Let's put all of the sub-level 4 players on one team", "Let's put all of the short range weapons on one team and the long range weapons on the other". Either make sure that the teams are diverse or let us fucking change our shit in the lobby. You can't have it both ways, Nintendo.

Branduil

Love when my dumbass teammates realize they've collected no eggs the entire round and then fire off all their specials in the last 5 seconds like that's gonna do shit

I need to figure out what the meta shit for equipment is so I can pick a stylish set and just run with good abilities. Gotta be something like Swim Speed and Ink Recovery?

DjRalford

Lost 5 games in a row despite getting the most kills due to being teamed up with beginner players. This game can be so irritating sometimes!

Yeah matchmaking is far from perfect and it doesn't balance teams out too well either, I had a team of 3 under lvl10 and we were against 4 players between 20 & 40, it should even the teams out more.

Although to be fair I've had the same scenario and steamrolled the other teams

MarioLinkSamus

not a fan of Ashley Madison. Digs her website tho
Yeah matchmaking is far from perfect and it doesn't balance teams out too well either, I had a team of 3 under lvl10 and we were against 4 players between 20 & 40, it should even the teams out more.

Same.

Does anyone know if there's an algorithm in place to ensure you don't win or lose many matches in a row? Because the game does a very good job of ensuring I never win nor lose more than around 5 in a row.

phanphare

Banned

your level doesn't mean much more than how much time you've put into the game

ryanofcall

I've got over 50h in Splatoon but never really tried out the Shoal (we're usually 3 people, so we end up playing online with strangers), but I was just wondering wether you get some kind of currency/reward for playing in the Shoal, too?

Col.Asher

I've got over 50h in Splatoon but never really tried out the Shoal (we're usually 3 people, so we end up playing online with strangers), but I was just wondering wether you get some kind of currency/reward for playing in the Shoal, too?
You do get bonuses for local salmon run, and there is a sticker system that does...something i'm not sure what.

Ugh, I finally made it to A-, then got ranked because my teammates were incredibly dumb and constantly let the rainmaker carrier just swim by. I thought once I reached the higher ranks teamwork would be a little better but guesss not.

Ugh, I finally made it to A-, then got ranked because my teammates were incredibly dumb and constantly let the rainmaker carrier just swim by. I thought once I reached the higher ranks teamwork would be a little better but guesss not.

Lol no.
The amount of times I've gotten the rainmaker and my team is nowhere around me is still just as high as ever. I'm gonna try and change my tactic to wait it out a bit before grabbing the rainmaker but if my team keeps fucking off elsewhere that rainmaker won't go anywhere.

McArkus

Sometimes spamming "this way" works.

Has anyone had a round of the valves and golden salmon that doesn't have half the team staying at one shooting enemies spamming "this way". It's so frustrating to find three or four gold ones only for them to be all wasted.

Estoc

The ๖ۜBronx;246116732 said:
Has anyone had a round of the valves and golden salmon that doesn't have half the team staying at one shooting enemies spamming "this way". It's so frustrating to find three or four gold ones only for them to be all wasted.

First time I played the valves mode, I had no idea what I was supposed to do, and hit "this way" the moment I saw a valve. It was only that when I turned and saw no one coming my way that I knew I was wrong.

Though to be honest, I still have no idea what I'm doing, I just follow those who do. I mean, I still don't know how to spot the right valve...

The game never explained that, mothership and grillers, right? In case I missed the tutorial or explanation somewhere.

MarioLinkSamus

not a fan of Ashley Madison. Digs her website tho
The ๖ۜBronx;246114352 said:
How would that even work?

For example:

Let W = your win streak
Let L = your loss streak
Let TW = your teammates' win streak
Let TL = your teammates' loss streak

When searching for a teammate in matchmaking:
As W increases, find more teammates with greater TL.
As L increases, find more teammates with greater TW.

This would ensure that you'll never always be winning or losing. So let's say I've won 5 matches in a row. My next match will likely be more difficult to win because I'll be with 3 teammates with high loss streaks.

Needham

First time I played the valves mode, I had no idea what I was supposed to do, and hit "this way" the moment I saw a valve. It was only that when I turned and saw no one coming my way that I knew I was wrong.

Though to be honest, I still have no idea what I'm doing, I just follow those who do. I mean, I still don't know how to spot the right valve...

The game never explained that, mothership and grillers, right? In case I missed the tutorial or explanation somewhere.
The higher the ink gushes out of the valve the closer you are to the Goldie. Shoot one or wait for someone else to and note how much ink comes out. If it's just a little head to the other side of the map and try again.

The biggest problem with that wave is people don't want to bother collecting all the eggs. They just grab one then start shooting all the valves making a giant mess. Why did we Chase the Goldie around and make it drop 10 eggs if no one's going to collect them?

I'm sure I've spammed "this way" more times on that wave then in the rest of my time spent playing this game.

Estoc

The higher the ink gushes out of the valve the closer you are to the Goldie. Shoot one or wait for someone else to and note how much ink comes out. If it's just a little head to the other side of the map and try again.

The biggest problem with that wave is people don't want to bother collecting all the eggs. They just grab one then start shooting all the valves making a giant mess. Why did we Chase the Goldie around and make it drop 10 eggs if no one's going to collect them?

I'm sure I've spammed "this way" more times on that wave then in the rest of my time spent playing this game.
It's basically hot and cold then? Valves won't open on their own, right?

As for not picking up eggs, my guess is that they only sort of have an idea what to do in that event, so they might not have noticed the extra eggs.

Personally, I usually try and have a look to see if there are any leftover eggs, be it valves event or not, provided that I know there should be some left over, like in the case of valves' Goldie.

They definitely need to provide tutorials on them special ones though, it's not like they are just harder waves like fog or high tide that you can easily understand what's going on.

The mothership goes down on the 2nd time it gets shot away. But that's almost at the final few seconds of the round, and the egg carrying salmonoids are also gone by that point.

I swear I played a round where we destroyed it earlier and a freaking ton of Gold Eggs came out of it in one place.

Holy shit, I just got killed mid animation when putting the rainmaker on the enemy point.

I didn't even know that was possible.

For example:

Let W = your win streak
Let L = your loss streak
Let TW = your teammates' win streak
Let TL = your teammates' loss streak

When searching for a teammate in matchmaking:
As W increases, find more teammates with greater TL.
As L increases, find more teammates with greater TW.

This would ensure that you'll never always be winning or losing. So let's say I've won 5 matches in a row. My next match will likely be more difficult to win because I'll be with 3 teammates with high loss streaks.
Ah sure, I get the premise but my issue was more with ensuring it within five games, which would be tough because you couldn't guarantee that people wouldn't overcome the odds in some cases.

Irminsul

Lmao, I just did a Rainmaker battle on "The Reef" completely on my own. As in, not only did my team members not help, but there were no enemy team members to be seen as well. I got one kill due to the Rainmaker's barrier exploding and that was all of my enemy encounters.

Apparently no one knew about the non-obvious way to the pedestal.

RedFyn

Spam "this way". Spam it and spam it and then spam it some more.

ChrisD

I need to figure out what the meta shit for equipment is so I can pick a stylish set and just run with good abilities. Gotta be something like Swim Speed and Ink Recovery?

If you want Meta, I wouldn't use Ink Recovery. I love the ability, and was farming Chunks for it, until someone on the Discord posted about how bad it is along with a chart. I can't grab said charts right now, but it basically requires three mains worth to do much of anything, and even then it doesn't help very much.

Conversely, Ink Saver Main is super strong. Talking taking your shot total from 200 to like... 350 if you use three Mains. Even higher if you go all the way with things. Not that one would ever need to stack all the way, but the point is that it's a very powerful ability with the way it curves. Pretty much never hits a hard drop-off in terms of where stacking becomes a bad idea.

Also worth pointing out that Special's refill your tank. So if you have a bigger tank, you can cover more ground without reloading. If you cover more ground, you fill Special faster. When you fill Special, you can use it to fill ink!

Mediking

giphy.gif

QG0LDsd.gif

Kick out Pearl and put in Callie.

DrArchon

Please stop giving us the Flingza in Salmon Run! I can't stand how slow the vertical flick is, and I'm not good enough with rollers to avoid doing it when I want to jump and flick.

Also, E-Liters suck! They take so long to charge and the extra range almost never matters in SR. It's better than getting the Goo Tuber again, but the standard Charger is still the best imo. Next session's weapons look so much better than these ones. Standard Splattershot, standard Roller, standard Charger. I'll take boring and effective over gimmicky bullshit.

noshten

Please stop giving us the Flingza in Salmon Run! I can't stand how slow the vertical flick is, and I'm not good enough with rollers to avoid doing it when I want to jump and flick.

Also, E-Liters suck! They take so long to charge and the extra range almost never matters in SR. It's better than getting the Goo Tuber again, but the standard Charger is still the best imo. Next session's weapons look so much better than these ones. Standard Splattershot, standard Roller, standard Charger. I'll take boring and effective over gimmicky bullshit.

I'm fine with the E-Liter but Flingza is absolutely awful in SR - ranked down to Overachiever on this rotation and unable to win two games in a row

DrArchon

I'm fine with the E-Liter but Flingza is absolutely awful in SR - ranked down to Overachiever on this rotation and unable to win two games in a row

I've reached the point where if I reach round 3 and get a decent number of eggs overall I'll count it as a win. There's too much unpredictability to actually win again and again and again with randoms.

Still haven't ranked down though. Probably because the only time I started losing I just stopped playing.

Top Bottom