• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

backlot

Well I just hit my first major annoyance with this game - Ranked Matchmaking.
It’s probably common knowledge, but I guess the game pairs you up with people who are at similar levels and the same rank.

However, I’ve been entering ranked and waiting for the timer to count to zero and kick me back into the lobby for about 15 minutes now. It’s irritating.
I don’t think Splatoon 1 had this issue, if I remember correctly. It would pair you up woth people at the same rank or close to it, but didn’t need the level requirement.

Matchmaking doesn't take level into account. Splatoon 2 has ping based matchmaking so there probably just aren't enough players in your region looking for a match. It's honestly a huge problem since the majority of this game's playerbase is in Japan and therefore won't be matched with most of the world.

D.Lo

Matchmaking doesn't take level into account. Splatoon 2 has ping based matchmaking so there probably just aren't enough players in your region looking for a match. It's honestly a huge problem since the majority of this game's playerbase is in Japan and therefore won't be matched with most of the world.
Works well for Australia since I get matched pretty much exclusively with Japanese players lol.

Splatfest is then much easier because it's locked to North America/Oceania and the play level is way lower.

Branduil

It is impossible for me to overstate how much I fucking hate griller rounds. Grillers are the worst thing a human being has come up with since fascism.

I'm especially fucking tired of being the goddamn brush every time I get one of those rounds lately.

Doorman

Today's new weapon is the Custom E-Liter 4K (and its scoped sister). Same as the current E-liter but with beakons and the bubble blower as we continue to move toward our all-bubble future.

Sounds like an alright kit, but one I'm never going to buy. Sorry chargers. :p

boiled goose

good with gravy
So a negative post but after loving splatoon 1 I'm finding 2 a little underwhelming.

No pumping speakers in plaza? Feels more static...

Still no incentives to use different weapons in multiplayer. I switch gear around to unluck abilities. Other than surface inked no tracking or incentives for weapons... Meh. I'd be so easy to implement gear or other rewards for weapon mastery. At least something cosmetic like a badge or weapon color.

No 8 bit games? :(

Salmon run is fun... But there's not much incentive. You just get points at the end. Nothing for the red eggs or golden eggs or killing bosses or rescuing team mates specifically. Really makes it feel like a chore job than a proper horde mode. I do like they force different weapons but not seeing much reason to keep playing after a few rounds.

I like different weapon clear tracking in single player. An improvement from 1. Also different ranks for different modes.

Am I missing anything?

Salarians

NYmLrRG.jpg
lmao three splats with one autobomb

The brushes should be taken off salmon run. They're absolutely atrocious.

Edit: Holy shit, fuck this weapon set. Done. I had a lot more fun with Splatoon 1 than this game.

Doorman

So a negative post but after loving splatoon 1 I'm finding 2 a little underwhelming.

Still no incentives to use different weapons in multiplayer. I switch gear around to unluck abilities. Other than surface inked no tracking or incentives for weapons... Meh. I'd be so easy to implement gear or other rewards for weapon mastery. At least something cosmetic like a badge or weapon color.

Salmon run is fun... But there's not much incentive. You just get points at the end. Nothing for the red eggs or golden eggs or killing bosses or rescuing team mates specifically. Really makes it feel like a chore job than a proper horde mode. I do like they force different weapons but not seeing much reason to keep playing after a few rounds.

I like different weapon clear tracking in single player. An improvement from 1. Also different ranks for different modes.

Am I missing anything?

In the grand scheme it's a somewhat small one, but there is an incentive system in place to try out different weapons in the form of the Turf War vibe meter. It's a bit like in the first game, where wins and losses would give and take away points, but unlike S1 where higher vibe gives you a small per-rotation cash bonus from Judd, hitting vibe milestones at +5, +10, and +15 with any weapon will give bonus experience. This is also how you build up the little colored flags that show up on every weapon, so you can keep track of how good of a winning streak you've had with every weapon in your catalog. Not earth-shattering, but it's something.

As for Salmon Run, the points that are doled out at the end are given based on how many power eggs and golden eggs you collect, so you are getting something for that stuff, with score x pay grade giving you points toward your bonuses, redeemed at the front counter. If you get lucky with your bonuses you can score some pretty nice stuff compared to spending that equivalent of time in the general multiplayer.

Branduil

I can't believe the shitheads at Nintendo think this is a good way to do matchmaking. There is zero value in forcing newbies to play with high-level players with hundreds of hours of experience. All it does is nearly guarantee one team's victory and turn the game into a shit experience for the new player who is constantly getting murdered by high-level players, not to mention their teammates who try to have to actually win while a Splattershot Jr. is running around trying to learn how to play.

I know it's like one of the most fundamental aspects of the game, but I despise not being able to walk in enemy ink. Like, there should of course be a penalty, but you literally can not fucking move at all. And if you're out of ink well then just fuck you, huh?

I know it's like one of the most fundamental aspects of the game, but I despise not being able to walk in enemy ink. Like, there should of course be a penalty, but you literally can not fucking move at all. And if you're out of ink well then just fuck you, huh?

You would get a kick out of ink resistance.

Mutant

Lmao, I went werewolf because no way are they more popular than vampire. Holy crap Marina's fanbase are bad at this game.

Alright....this is going to be a nightmare...

Let's just get this over with.

Edit: The Aerospray memers are still alive and well with their zero kills. Amazing. Sprays were trash already and then got nerfed to hell and back and kids STILL think they can make the meme work.

Mutant

Like seriously these teams are like night and day. People using really bad weapons vs. splat squelchers and n-zaps, entire teams's clothing minmaxed.

Renna Hazel

Not running into many Werewolf fans but my team has been winning none the less. I really like the layout for Shifty Station this time around. I really wish it would stick around.

Branduil

Hey Nintendo how about instead of fixing Fly Fish glitches that help the player, you fix the bullshit where I shoot the Fly Fish launcher with my Ink Jet 5 million fucking times and it does nothing

This is the worst it's ever been.

Edit: Doing better once I said "SCREW IT!" and stopped trying to hold a position with a mid-range gun and just went back to my Sploosh and started running a train on people...except every time I win, there's a communication error during the results. Do something about the rage quitters Nintendo!

Doorman

This is the worst it's ever been

-- Description of every splatfest ever as they happen.

I'll still never understand the perspective of people who think that, mechanically, Splatfest is anything but bad. But I need dem snails, so here we are. Made it to defender for now, I'm sure I'll finish the grind up to King two points at a time tomorrow and collect my inevitable loser snails.

Jims

This Shifty Station is a really neat concept, but been finding that it leads to a lot of one-sided games. Once you get all 4 people on their side, it's relatively easy to hold.

These custom maps make me wish there was some kind of Splatoon Stage Builder Toolkit. Or some kind of "The Unknown" Turf mode, where they just throw us a bunch of random experimental maps Nintendo is playing around with. It's a really nice change of pace from the usual rotations we get.

-- Description of every splatfest ever as they happen.

I'll still never understand the perspective of people who think that, mechanically, Splatfest is anything but bad. But I need dem snails, so here we are. Made it to defender for now, I'm sure I'll finish the grind up to King two points at a time tomorrow and collect my inevitable loser snails.

The Transformers one and the Pirate vs Ninja one last year were great! Really even split.

Maengun1

I swear to god I always look forward to splatfests and I don't know why, actually playing them is by far the least fun/most frustrating day of the month lol.

I just got up to defender rank pretty painlessly but then hit an unbearable wall, I'm currently on 14/50 points after seven losses in a row.

I'm playing alone and I keep getting A W F U L teammates against obvious 4 person teams of level 35+ players who get us contained to our spawn point by the halfway point of matches. This game has the power to make you wanna put your foot through the TV like nothing else I've ever played

team vampire btw~

Branduil

The new Mystery Zone is absolute ass. The first one must have been beginner's luck because every layout has been worse than the last.

dgco86

I wouldn't be surprised if werewolves win this time... I've gotten a few Vampire mirror matches and haven't done too well against the few Werewolf teams I came across...

22448115_156012538332981_6194788291874295376_n.jpg

There. Things started going infinitely better once I swapped to Sploosh. I don't think I've ever gotten my Fest Power that high before. It'd be nice if we won but I only choose Wolf because I figured it'd be the least popular so I'd get matches super quick so no sleep lost if we lose 0-3.

But I think I'm going to take a break from this game until they adjust the team matchmaking or add more weapons I'd actually use. Two weeks of charger types....ugh. And I keep getting put on teams with short / mid range weapons while pitted against multiple chargers or brush / rollers who just get stages on lockdown that we can barely challenge. The stages full of ramps and walls certainly don't help either. So many blind spots for us to get creamed instantly or give away our position trying to paint anything. Best we can do is either pray the other team is godawful or do yolo flanks with armor and hope to take two down in the ambush swarm.

I haven't even touched ARMS since it came out. I've never had my interest in a game nosedive like that before....

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
It’s fun when you get a team that can work together and cover each other without much communication. It’s not fun when your teammates get tunnel vision/ don’t check the map to see that the other team slipped into our side and we lose.

Stayed on Dualie Squelchers the whole time today and went 21-13 up to Vampire Queen (including one extra game that I put in as I was just short of an ability chunk). The first rotation (Moray/Manta) went far better than the second one (Starfish/Humpback), 12-3 and 9-10 respectively, though part of that was probably just my rating stabilizing where it needed to be, a little over the 2000 mark. I had a good number of Vampire mirror matches, so I expect that as the more popular selection it will lose.

This edition of Shifty Station felt very unusual for a Splatoon map because there was such a hard division of the two halves that made it easier than usual to assess your percentage of coverage, first of all, and also tended to leave losing teams trapped in their half without many options for a flanking play. I can see the philosophy behind it and I enjoyed it for what it was, as it took such a different mindset than usual, but two choke points seem a little too few for this sort of design, and the hard lock of the central wall was claustrophobic in a way that made the map feel unusually linear, with an unambiguous back and front. I don't mind the idea of it so much as a one-off experiment, but I can see why it would make other players a little grumpy.

The plaza, as always, is gobsmacking every time I see it in night mode.

Griss

Well, having played 10 matches as team werewolf I can tell you that there's no way we're winning this splatfest. I was definitely part of the problem, hadn't played in over a month and was poor. I'm just really bad at 1v1 duels, and when it comes down to it Turf War is won by the team that wins the 1v1 duels in the last 30 seconds and has free range to paint the stage.

Also, Shifty Station is probably my least favourite level. Seems to lead to a lot of walkovers, and navigating the moving platforms isn't a lot of fun.

Oh well, it's still a good time. I love the idea of Splatfests just because they get me to turn on the game again. I've put a ton of time into the game already (over 30 hours - got to level 16) but with most games that'd be it - game finished. Splatoon has little hooks to keep you coming back like new weapons, levels and splatfests. It's really well done.

Koren

This is probably one of the worst weapon sets for Goldie Rushes that has ever existed.
The umbrella/zoom/octobrush/splattershot?

I found it surprisingly effective. Beside first match 3 eggs in wave 1, goldie rush, team cattered) and a loss in wave 3 (disconnection, one egg missing), it went flawlessly.

I thought I would break the 90 mark, 65 after wave 2 and great team, but we got a find the goldie and not much luck in wave 3 and we finished in the low 80 :(

zenspider

Anybody understand the Splatfest bonuses?

I'm at Vampire Champion, on a 9 game win streak. I was getting +7 for victories, which I thought was for the streak, but I just got a +6?

Top Bottom