• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Urchin(Diadema?) Amphitheater stage from da Twitters
C5QnRaOUoAEEEY0.jpg

C5QnSeHVcAAhYiP.jpg

C5QnTnKUEAA_YHb.jpg

Jintor

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/834339250753544197

Um... quick translation...

This is "Gangaze Outdoor Stage"

It's an establishment where tonnes of artists hold concerts.

Even the legendary Squid Squad has held their live concerts here, making it the holy home of rock'n'roll.

They've even developed counter-measures to ensure the delicate electronics don't get messed up by ink, so there's no need to worry.

I'm not 100% on that last sentence. I thought initially it was talking about some kind of stage hazard, but I think it's just flavour text.

correojon

GIF from their tweet.

A6lZ3D8.gif

I hadn´t seen this, it looks like consulting the map will be pretty quick. This was one of the things that worried me more about loosing the gamepad, but I guess that the time you loose when calling the map may be similar to the time you lost when looking down. Besides, jumping to a teammate wasn´t as quick as pressing a button, so one thing may balance the other.

-shadow-

I'm on my phone so can't really tell, but are they using down sampled screenshots again? :/

Still absolutely pumped though!

ITSMILNER

Moray Towers was in the trailer, so we should see the return of some stages at least, but with some new changes.

That's great, I never put as much time as I would have liked into the original so be happy to have as much of the originals content as possible

As others have said, visuals are definitely looking better there. IQ is still a bit messy on the third image (I presume the second is a bullshot), but lighting is improved.

Still pining for a mention of online splitscreen. Am uber-confident that would propel Splatoon to joining Mario Kart and Smash Brothers as a go-to social game.

correojon

Still pining for a mention of online splitscreen. Am uber-confident that would propel Splatoon to joining Mario Kart and Smash Brothers as a go-to social game.
I´ve been asking for this since day one of the first Splatoon. Even just 2 players would be great (4 would be awesome). Please make it happen!

I´ve been asking for this since day one of the first Splatoon. Even just 2 players would be great (4 would be awesome). Please make it happen!

You guys mean like the two player split screen online in Mario Kart? That'd be pretty rad. Could see it happening, though probably with some graphic downgrades to make it run well.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This is the one thing I hope they add that wasn't in the first.

A reason to try out all the weapons.

Some achievements for inks or kills with different weapons or slots unlocked like they are for equipment.

In the first I found no incentive to seriously give new weapons a try once I found a comfortable one. I did however switch equipment to unlock the slots.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Love the look of the new stage. Game definitely seems a bit cleaner than what I remember seeing from Switch event videos.

I hadn´t seen this, it looks like consulting the map will be pretty quick. This was one of the things that worried me more about loosing the gamepad, but I guess that the time you loose when calling the map may be similar to the time you lost when looking down. Besides, jumping to a teammate wasn´t as quick as pressing a button, so one thing may balance the other.

I played several rounds of Splatoon 2 this weekend, with the Pro Controller and in handheld mode. And honestly, the compromise of the map overlay was the one thing that felt a bit clunky in a way that made me sorely miss the Wii U GamePad. It's now my main concern about the game.

Obviously, any interface changes will always require a bit of mental adjustment and practice, like the button reassignments and the placement of the sticks. But the current map scheme feels like a step back regardless. First of all, the X (map) button is a toggle, not a hold—probably to permit you to continue to move and shoot while the map is covering the screen, though I didn't test this out. (The GIF above demonstrates movement while the map is up, I know, but that's in spectator mode.) And for just checking the map, it's two button presses—X to bring it up, X to take it down. Again, maybe this is a matter of practice, but it actually discouraged me from checking the map as often as I would on the Wii U, where there isn't any mechanical obstacle to burning a mental image of the map layout into your head in any free moment—your brain wants to do it, so your eyes do it. In Splatoon 2, every time I flashed the map on the screen I had to reorient my sense of how it corresponded to the stage layout (and indeed, figure out where I was); there's a shock of unfamiliarity that isn't there when it's in your peripheral vision.

So now what was formerly a tap of the screen is now gated behind the sequence, "press X, hold D-pad, press A", alternating between presses and holds and requiring both hands. We'll get used to it eventually, I'm sure, but you can tell the fundamentals of the game were not designed for this.

Now, I only found out afterwards that you can use the gyro to point at your teammates instead of using the D-pad combo, and that sounds a whole lot better, especially as there's a momentary lag time where you have to map the nameplate positioning to the D-pad. It's small, but again, it's a mental obstacle and it adds up. I think the gyro will be a big help, especially if its point-and-click functionality on the map is also replicable with a tap on the touch screen in handheld mode (something else I didn't think to test). If you play with the Joy-Cons detached, as I mean to try when the Global Testfire goes up, I expect the super jump will feel kind of like the Skyward Sword weapon selection wheel, and won't be too bad.

So: not a deal-breaker, but for those of you who played the game thoroughly on the Wii U, temper your expectations for the map overlay and brace yourself for the adjustment. For the first few rounds, it will suck.

J@hranimo

Banned
Personally I'm looking forward to the change. For the past few months I've been gaming at my desk with the Wii U connected to a monitor, so I had the gamepad under my desk most of the time and I didn't see the screen. Two button presses for superjumping will be super easy to adjust to imo.

sugarless

No idea. I have no inkling on how the transition will be, and the lack of being able to see the map at all times is the only thing that I'm worried about Splatoon 2.

So I picked the game up and I love it - I don't think it'll be too bad transitioning to single screen. If anything I find it hard to remember to look down at the pad so it might even be better on Switch for me. The gyro controls are so much better than I expected too, will definitely keep using them.

OP in this thread still has one tweet with just a Google translation, thought I'd do a proper one even though the info is basically there.

画面上の表示も進化しているようだ。 それぞれのプレイヤーの所持しているブキがわかるようになった他、スペシャルメーターが溜まったこともわかるようになったぞ。 ここをよく見て、攻めるタイミングや、守りを固めるタイミングなどを見極めよう。

It seems the [information] display at the top of the screen has evolved, too. Not only can you now see which weapon each player has equipped, you can tell when their special meter is full, too. Keep an eye on this to choose the right moment to go on the attack or harden your defences.

noshten

So I picked the game up and I love it - I don't think it'll be too bad transitioning to single screen. If anything I find it hard to remember to look down at the pad so it might even be better on Switch for me. The gyro controls are so much better than I expected too, will definitely keep using them.

Same here, I can't multitask so my map awareness is horrible - I can only see the 180 degrees in front of me and outside of a few maps that's not exactly a ton of information. I actually think Splatoon 2 might allow me to maintain S+ rather than face such struggle to reach it only to inevitably rank down.

In any case the new map is perfect for Splatfests as someone mentioned, they just need the idols on the main stage while the battle is going on.

Pardon me if someone has ever mentioned this before, but I was sitting there watching January presentation trailer the other day and thought how awesome it would be have a low-light level option with luminescent ink to paint with.

Plenty of sea creatures have evolved with such features too so there would even be a way to work that in.

It's fun to dream.

sugarless

Pardon me if someone has ever mentioned this before, but I was sitting there watching January presentation trailer the other day and thought how awesome it would be have a low-light level option with luminescent ink to paint with.

Plenty of sea creatures have evolved with such features too so there would even be a way to work that in.

It's fun to dream.

That's a pretty cool idea. I can see it being used in the single-player too. Maybe not a whole stage of darkness but lights that go off sometimes and you need to navigate by the glowing ink. Maybe the other side's ink is dark to you? Lots of possibilities.

kcxiv

...if this is the case, that would really suck. One of the things I've always loved about their systems was that I only needed one of them to play with my friends. Most of them don't really buy gaming systems or aren't into Nintendo enough to buy their systems so this would pretty much ruin multi-player on Nintendo systems for me

at least you have friends who video game. ALl my buddies i grew up with have done moved on and gotten old.

Jintor

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/836134208003153921

新アクションのタテ振りが注目されているローラーだが、他にも変化があるようだ。
ZRボタンを押しっぱなしで地面を塗りながら移動できるが、しばらく進み続けているとスピードが少しだけ速くなるらしい。
地味な変化ではあるが、バトルには影響を与えそうだ。

There's been a lot of focus on the brand new vertical flick attack given to rollers, but we've observed another little change.

If you keep the ZR button held down while painting the ground, it looks like you'll pick up a little bit of speed too.

It's not exactly the flashiest of changes, but it should have a pretty big influence on the course of battle.

ffdgh

Turfing dynamos may be a thing now an Carbon rollers just became much more obnoxious possibly lol.

Wonder does this affect brushes too.

ChrisD

I really like the looks of the new shoes. Ink Recovery is fun, too, so I'll wear them for a while once I get 'em in-game.

And yeah, that texture work is great.

Nosgotham

It's fun to dream.

They did this during special events in splatoon I believe

I have seen no news regarding the campaign for this game.

I really enjoyed the campaign for the first game although I realize that nobody remembers Splatoon for that (and I too have spent a lot more time in online play than with the campaign obviously...).

Seeing that there are no updates regarding single player and the game is just a few months away, is it safe to say that there'll be no single player mode at all?

I really enjoyed the campaign for the first game although I realize that nobody remembers Splatoon for that (and I too have spent a lot more time in online play than with the campaign obviously...).

Seeing that there are no updates regarding single player and the game is just a few months away, is it safe to say that there'll be no single player mode at all?

No they've definitely mentioned it in multiple interviews, there will be one. Don't have sources on my phone but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find on Google.

LordKano

They've already confirmed a new campaign and you can see small bits of it in the trailer.

No they've definitely mentioned it in multiple interviews, there will be one. Don't have sources on my phone but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find on Google.

The only reports I can find all point to the same single interview with some random Nintendo rep. I don't really trust that.

They've already confirmed a new campaign and you can see small bits of it in the trailer.

I will have to watch that again. You're referring to the reveal trailer?

Edit: Ahh, I guess the last few seconds are hinting at that...?

Top Bottom