• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Honestly my favorite new super is the jetpack super, with good team coordination that's extremely strong. The enemy team has to pick between focusing you down in the air but getting shot at from the ground or shooting the ground foes but getting picked off from the air.

Super shitty on it's own but super strong with teamwork
Well I think we can all agree that buffing the sniper rifle was a really bad idea.
It's nerfed

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
The original was quite skill based, but none of that came from the special weapon mechanics. In fact, the game revolving around specials is what started holding the game back.

In the same way that items hold Mario Kart back?

I think reasonably strong specials are essential for fun, balanced battles in Turf War.

Now if they want to nerf or ban certain specials from Ranked, well that's fine.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I think reasonably strong specials are essential for fun, balanced battles in Turf War.

Anything that let's you be a one man army in a team game is shit game design

Aldric

Well I think we can all agree that buffing the sniper rifle was a really bad idea.

It depends how it'll be done but it seems balanced to me. You can swim with a charge but you're extremely visible. lf you also move slower than normal which you should it's almost like being disrupted.

Obviously, that comparison pic shows that Splatoon 2 needs a lot of touch ups to make it look sequel worthy to Game Informer, this is the result:
unknown.png

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Maybe you should go play COD or some other first person shooter, if that's what you want to turn Splatoon into.
LOL If that's seriously what you are thinking I'm aiming for with the stuff I'm saying.

Honestly my favorite new super is the jetpack super, with good team coordination that's extremely strong. The enemy team has to pick between focusing you down in the air but getting shot at from the ground or shooting the ground foes but getting picked off from the air.

Super shitty on it's own but super strong with teamwork

Plus have you played CoD? That game is One man army tier as hell.

RedFyn

That's a weird thing to say. There's quite a lot of sequels that are more immediately distinct than Splatoon and Splatoon 2. Especially when they're on different generations of hardware.
Sure. And there are sequels that arent. Most of that has to do with art style. Splatoon and Splatoon 2 have similar looks because why would they change it. They keep the same artstyle while improving the smaller things. Splatoon 3 will look similar because they will continue to improve on it while keeping the same general look.

The hardware isn't up to the devs and anyone expecting some crazy graphic improvements were, well, crazy.

l thought the rest of my post made the context clear. lt looked technically obsolete. Basic geometry and textures, no AA, 720p. All things you find in Splatoon 2 except it's on new hardware released four years after the Wii U.
I sort of misunderstood. Some of this is by design.
A lot of the maps are somewhat basic because of the ink mechanic. A bright map with lots of colors isn't as visually changed by the ink as a plainer toned down map. The maps geometry also needs to be fairly basic. Lots of flat surfaces and what not so that you can paint them evenly and quickly as well as being able to swim on them easily. Any sort of weird geometry really messes with the mechanic.

The AA, resolution and I'll add framerate although that's largely been fixed are all valid points. Among other criticisms. Part of this is the ink mechanic which adds a hard to see resource drain. Obviously most of this comes down to the wiiu being what it is. I'm not trying to handwave these things BTW. I have no problem with people bringing up these issues.

Splatoon isn't visually impressive but it's visually unique.

Or maybe people just think Switch games look like Wii U+ games, which they do. l also think Nintendo has done a pretty poor job highlighting the new gameplay elements outside of things only dedicated Splatoon fans would care about. l don't blame them though as l'm sure they'll go in depth in a Direct later this year.
Again, I don't have any problem with people thinking it's visually unimpressive. It's not Nintendo's fault if people got their hopes up expecting more. They played a trailer showing off their new game. I don't think it's fair to blame them for the internet rumor mill making GAF go crazy.

watershed

Banned
I like the change to the splatcharger. My understanding is that you can hold one charge then move before pressing fire again to discharge. I also heard one report that you can only save the charge in squid mode and that you shoot automatically once becoming human again. That is wrong, right?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I like the change to the splatcharger. My understanding is that you can hold one charge then move before pressing fire again to discharge. I also heard one report that you can only save the charge in squid mode and that you shoot automatically once becoming human again. That is wrong, right?
Yeah that's wrong

J@hranimo

Banned
Uhh you can think it looks bad all you want. But I can't believe that you played for hundreds of hours and didn't see the difference when watching the trailer.

giphy.gif

Pretty much this. The lighting, textures, animations...obviously brand new from Splatoon 1.

Also splat charger getting that buff was great, because all chargers with scopes completely outclass non-scoped chargers (assuming scoped chargers will return in Splatoon 2).

Sendou

Problem with the specials in the original was simply that some were too strong while others were too weak. I don't think there was an easy tweak to be made to change that fact. You can have specials that can be impactful when used right but stuff like Echo and Bubble just made others look like jokes in comparision.

Graphically to me it looks roughly the same as the old game. Honestly I don't really care. Only hope they can bump resolution to 1920x1080.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Problem with the specials in the original was simply that some were too strong while others were too weak. I don't think there was an easy tweak to be made to change that fact. You can have specials that can be impactful when used right but stuff like Echo and Bubble just made others look like jokes in comparision

Both the echolocators and bubbler were quite useful (especially in ranked) before they got nerfed.

And different people like different specials... everybody seems to love inkstrike, but personally I can't stand using it. Same with Inkzookas.

Both the echolocators and bubbler were quite useful (especially in ranked) before they got nerfed.

And different people like different specials... everybody seems to love inkstrike, but personally I can't stand using it. Same with Inkzookas.
In what universe are people loving the inkstrike? I mean the amount of turf it puts down is literally undone by a suction bomb xD. Now the new Tenta Missiles on the other hand...

Sendou

Echo and Bubble are still the two best specials in the game. Idk what people like to use but that's not what I was talking about. The special system needed reworking since it was fundamentally unbalanced.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Echo and Bubble are still the two best specials in the game. Idk what people like to use but that's not what I was talking about. The special system needed reworking since it was fundamentally unbalanced.
^ The new stuff looks a lot better designed for the type of game this is now. Time will tell if that plays out though.

ryechu

Would Mario Kart would be better if green shells and bananas were removed, and what was left was red shells, lightning, pow, blooper, star, bullet bill, and red fake item boxes?What if the stun and slow effects of each of these item were doubled?

Multifaceted weapons that take skill to use that also have good power balance relative to the main and sub weapons would only help the game.

Farming kraken to make a push is not as exciting as actually mounting a coordinated assault on the enemies turf. Not to say there is zero strategy in using kraken or bubble or echo, but there would be a lot more if they couldn't be used as "o shit" buttons.

I'm not saying that you should remove special weapons outright so I'm not sure how your analogy is relevant.

Vampfox

Banned
Hopefully the online will be better this time around. I keep getting disconnected when I try to play online.

I know that, I was just wondering if they were going to limit the loadouts this time for balance reasons. I should've been clearer

I don't see anything to suggest this is the case. The demo was likely limited to those 4 weapons/loadouts to keep it simple, similar to the global testfires.
They are way too obvious now with were you are aiming as well as the giant glow. They are probably better off as a hide then pop out weapon now
I don't see how the laser is any more obvious than before, nor how the glow changes much (if you can see the glow, you probably already saw the sniper anyway). Is there footage I've missed that makes this more clear? Is the glow visible through walls?

watershed

Banned
Duallies might seem OP initially until people learn how to account for the dodge roll. The quick direction change and travel distance are unmatched at the moment, it seems.

Has anyone asked the real questions yet?

Will we get playable Octolings this time

because after that huge tease on the oficial site and all that hacking that twitter did I stopped playing the game to get me ready when they would eventually drop

they never did

and I have yet to play the game since ;(

and I won't now because 2 is coming out. rip splatoon 1 you were loved

Duallies might seem OP initially until people learn how to account for the dodge roll. The quick direction change and travel distance are unmatched at the moment, it seems.
Reminds me of people saying the roller was OP in the early days. Gotta wait until we have a sizable pool of players to test all the scenarios out.

Jims

Burst Bomb Bucket needs to return. Maybe it'll get a more useful special this time. :D

I hope the new specials are going to re-balance Tower Control better (assuming Tower Control is in the game). All those Krakens and Bubblers chained together on the Tower, and those defensive Wails and Inkstrikes that end games automatically. Although those Tenta-missles and Splash Down might end up doing the same thing. We'll see. I kinda like the momentum-driven specials of Splatoon (and baiting them being a tactical strategy) but would like to see what a more risk-reward special system would play like.

Aldric

Reminds me of people saying the roller was OP in the early days. Gotta wait until we have a sizable pool of players to test all the scenarios out.

Dualies do seem really good though. High mobility, good turf coverage, great accuracy and ttk after the roll, great sub weapon. The only thing that seems a bit iffy is the special, but l'd be surprised if they weren't a very popular weapon like the Tentatek was in the first game.

Geg

Looking forward to seeing people dodge roll off the map lol

DaBoss

Burst Bomb Bucket needs to return. Maybe it'll get a more useful special this time. :D

I hope the new specials are going to re-balance Tower Control better (assuming Tower Control is in the game). All those Krakens and Bubblers chained together on the Tower, and those defensive Wails and Inkstrikes that end games automatically. Although those Tenta-missles and Splash Down might end up doing the same thing. We'll see. I kinda like the momentum-driven specials of Splatoon (and baiting them being a tactical strategy) but would like to see what a more risk-reward special system would play like.
Honestly, Tower Control is a super flawed mode and I feel it shouldn't be back. And Splashdown on Tower Control seems like it would just easily end any pushes.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Tower Control being gone, unless they tweak it heavily.
Looking forward to seeing people dodge roll off the map lol
lol

Jintor

tower control da best. i never played seriously though really.

very curious to see how the stingray works out. I love the wail

Pretty much this. The lighting, textures, animations...obviously brand new from Splatoon 1.

Also splat charger getting that buff was great, because all chargers with scopes completely outclass non-scoped chargers (assuming scoped chargers will return in Splatoon 2).

I will fight everyone with my nonscoped Chargers. >=( Scoped Scrubs. (Salty)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Uhh you can think it looks bad all you want. But I can't believe that you played for hundreds of hours and didn't see the difference when watching the trailer.

giphy.gif

It was this shot in the trailer that made me see the clear graphical upgrade over slatoon 1

Crayolan

Predict the side they're going to roll to and spray the ground ahead of time in order to trap them.

And like someone else suggested, disruptors could seriously cripple dualies.

Sendou

Honestly, Tower Control is a super flawed mode and I feel it shouldn't be back. And Splashdown on Tower Control seems like it would just easily end any pushes.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Tower Control being gone, unless they tweak it heavily

Exactly. Splat Zones is the most balanced of the 3 ranked modes. Rainmaker can work but needs some tweaks.

You can't jump with dualies. This alone guarantees they won't be OP. Might mean they aren't viable.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Godly GIF: look at that lighting and animations!

ANother scene that got my attention is when the inklings were sitting at the table in the beginning and one of them is wearing headphones, that just looked unusally really good to me, besides the fact that its just a new thing in general

DaBoss

Oh shit really? Will most likely pick this up then - I played enough on the Wii U to be satisfied but this does seem to have a decent amount of new content.
Yup, but they've only said that the game takes place 2 years after Splatoon. They'll probably reveal more info later in a Nintendo Direct or something.

Top Bottom