• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3 – Chill Season 2022 Announcement

John Bilbo

Chill Season 2022 arrives in #Splatoon3 on 12/1! It's jam-packed with new weapons, stages, and events, so start warming up your splat trigger now. Brrr!

Nintendo.com:
Switch_Splatoon3_Season2_TRL_1080p_thumbnail

A new season of Splatoon 3 content is about to surface!​

A whole new catalog of content is coming to the Splatoon™ 3 game for Nintendo Switch™ systems! Starting on Dec. 1, all Splatoon 3 players with an active Nintendo Switch Online membership* will have access to the new “Chill Season 2022” content, which includes weapons and stages, new gear and victory emotes, and game modes. There is a video breaking it all down.

And just when you thought it was safe to stay out of the water … Big Run is coming! This new game event brings a twist to the co-op survival action of the Salmon Run game mode. The first Big Run will take place when the Salmonids invade the Wahoo World stage later this year. Stay Spla-tuned for more details about how this event will change Splatsville and how to participate.

If you’re an eel-ite Splatoon 3 player, you need to check out the new X Battles! X Battles require players to reach an elite rank in Anarchy Battles and risk X Power to challenge their way up the leaderboards. X Battles will debut on Dec. 1, along with three new weapons (a new Roller, Charger and Shooter) and 10 returning weapons from previous Splatoon games, including some with modified sets!

There are also a couple of fun additional stages being added. The new Brinewater Springs makes its “fresh” first appearance, and many sea-soned players will remember Flounder Heights from the first Splatoon game.

Plus, fashionable Inklings and Octolings know that a new season means a whole new catalog. “Chill Season 2022” adds a new collection of gear, custom titles, victory emotes, stickers and more to help you show off your style and stand out from your “piers.” There will be new gear and items in the shops, as well!

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Showing 15fps motion in a trailer that the sauna squids are doing, and the see-saw squids are also doing is retarded in 2022, good job Nintendo, you had 3 minutes.

The skin toned phallic gun that shoots goo was funny though.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Showing 15fps motion in a trailer that the sauna squids are doing, and the see-saw squids are also doing is retarded in 2022, good job Nintendo, you had 3 minutes.
That's a weird choice to show in the trailer for sure.

In the game though those choppy animations happen in the background and you barely notice them.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
One of the best maps from the first game coming back. Hope to see the return of Saltspray Rig or Urchin Underpass later.

Moray Towers can stay gone though.
Yep, I love Flounder Heights. The layout is super unique. So far I don't think the new part 3 maps are quite as memorable as previous games.

Jeeves

Yep, I love Flounder Heights. The layout is super unique. So far I don't think the new part 3 maps are quite as memorable as previous games.
Yeah, and they seem to have an issue with being too sniper-friendly. Especially Undertow Spillway...one choke point with no flanking route, I don't know what they were thinking.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, and they seem to have an issue with being too sniper-friendly. Especially Undertow Spillway...one choke point with no flanking route, I don't know what they were thinking.
They're all very wide open as well, requiring a ton of time to ink everything compared to some of the part 1 maps like the factory, or the mall. Totally agree.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is this game worth it if you don’t play online? Any chance of a Black Friday sale for this digitally?

Wow, Nintendo really is punting on holiday 2022 aren’t they?

Splatoon 3 DLC, Bayonetta, and Pokémon. And some n64 additions to NSO. That’s literally it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
True. Just, Another game not at all developed by Nintendo. Like Bayonetta and Pokémon.

I think they’re like holding their ammunition for something, is what it feels like to me. Maybe I’m wrong
They do have a lot of third party support this year, like Live A Live and Triangle Strategy as well. Xenoblade was first party, and so was Kirby this year. It's still a ton to play. At the very least, they definitely are taking their time on Mario, Zelda, and Mario Kart because everything is still selling and they're probably waiting for Switch 2 on most of it. Will be interesting to see what they have in mind for 2023. 2022 was great for me.

They do have a lot of third party support this year, like Live A Live and Triangle Strategy as well. Xenoblade was first party, and so was Kirby this year. It's still a ton to play. At the very least, they definitely are taking their time on Mario, Zelda, and Mario Kart because everything is still selling and they're probably waiting for Switch 2 on most of it. Will be interesting to see what they have in mind for 2023. 2022 was great for me.
For sure. 2022 was a strong year, just lacking the big heavy-hitters, as you so eloquently put it. For me, outside of Kirby and Xeno, there really hasn't been a whole lot this year that interested me. So I'd have put this up against 2018 as my personal weakest year for Switch games that I want to play.

Third-party wise, no question, it's been excellent by any standard. No doubt even just with Zelda and Pikmin, 2023 will already be stronger for my tastes. And I’m sure there’s more than those two slotted for sure. Would love to see a port of Woolly World over to Switch. It'll be 4 years in March since a Yoshi release, and it seems like that would be an easy one for them to put out, if a new one is still a ways out.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
True. Just, Another game not at all developed by Nintendo. Like Bayonetta and Pokémon.

I think they’re like holding their ammunition for something, is what it feels like to me. Maybe I’m wrong
Everyone's working on Zelda

Bragr

Banned
Contrast this to Halo Infinite. 3 months in and Splatoon 3 is already getting a big update with tons of DLC down the road.

343 was completely out of the loop the moment the game launched. I still can't get over it.

ADiTAR

Banned
I'm hoping there's more. Big Run looks interesting but if it's only 1 stage, not sure how long you can play that for.

They also need to fix 3 color turf war, so it's a mode you can choose and actually play.

TwiztidElf

Hope to see the return of Saltspray Rig or Urchin Underpass later.
Saltspray Rig is never coming back. It gave unfair advantage to one of the teams. The team on the right I think?
Sucks, I know. SSR was easily one of my favorite Splatoon maps.

Jeeves

Saltspray Rig is never coming back. It gave unfair advantage to one of the teams. The team on the right I think?
Sucks, I know. SSR was easily one of my favorite Splatoon maps.
That so? Despite both sides being mirror images of each other? They could always tweak it if need be, no?

TwiztidElf

Not the map. It's because all characters shoot from their right hand that gives a slight advantage on that map.
I think it's got something to do with shooting around corners. Sorry, not 100% sure, I just remember reading an article about it way back on why it never came to S2.
SSR is only a mirror vertically, not horizontally. All other maps are both.

Just found this post:

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Ver. 2.0.0 (Releasing November 29, 2022)

Season and Catalog Changes

On November 30th, 2022 at 4:00 PM PST, data relating to the Chill Season 2022 will be added to the game. This includes:
  • A new catalog, and with it the new gear, titles, Splashtags, decorations, stickers, and emotes included therein.
  • About 50 new items added to store product lineups.
  • Two new battle stages: Brinewater Springs and Flounder Heights.
  • A new Salmon Run stage: Marooner’s Bay
  • Three new main-weapon types.
  • Ten new sets of existing main weapons paired with different sub and special weapons.
  • Thirteen new Tableturf Battle cards.
The ability to look at the content of your catalog has been added.
  • Players can check their catalogs by opening the main menu with the X Button, going to the Status tab, and selecting Catalog.
Edit: Check out the link for full info on the update

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Flounder Heights is the most complex map in this game. It is such a radical departure from the rest of the maps it is going to take awhile to understand the possibilities.

jaysius

Banned

Gonna choose white chocolate because of the color.

Bullshit that they didn't go with ruby chocolate, if you haven't had any yet, you should try it, it's very tasty, has a light berry flavor, and it's not that that's fake flavoring it's just that's the way ruby chocolate is.

ADiTAR

Banned
Bullshit that they didn't go with ruby chocolate, if you haven't had any yet, you should try it, it's very tasty, has a light berry flavor, and it's not that that's fake flavoring it's just that's the way ruby chocolate is.
I don't think I've tried a real one yet. I don't like white chocolate either, for me it's a middle point between dark and milk.

ADiTAR

Banned
I normally chose whatever the Big Man is for. But come on, white chocolate? It doesn't count as chocolate. (Dark all the way.)
I like white ink color, always easy to see in matches and also different than normal colors like the purple and orange.

ADiTAR

Banned
Not sure if there's a Splatoon 3 OT, but a new season is coming soon, and while no new mode, seems like "challenges" that will be fun:

Top Bottom