• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3 Direct Announced for 10/08

Draugoth

Gold Member
This thread is to summarize eveything revealed in the event

A SplatLands Invintational Fest was announced for 2022:

hS2jtEV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I ended up preordering the Splatoon OLED switch (which doesn't come with the game).

Going back to the office part time soon meaning I want a better switch for travel, always liked the splatoon colour schemes.

Hopefully salmon run isent just between certain set times in this one.

Last edited:
That's August 10th just to be clear.
Thank you, I thought it was odd at first that they were announcing a direct 2 months ahead of time.

I loved 1, 2, and adored the Octo expansion, but this game is going to be a harder sell to me. This is going to sound shallow but keeping the same visual style on the same console really takes a lot of my excitement out of this. When it looks the same as the previous game, it then causes me to focus on what's changed, and with what little we know I'm not impressed yet

A few new weapons and new specials aren't enough to justify another $60. New single player campaign is cool, but Octo expansion gave us that for far cheaper.

Optimistically looking forward to this direct as I'd love to come away impressed.

jaysius

Banned
What they need is an Open Beta to try and tighten netcode, but if they're using P2P again, then it doesn't matter it'll always be shit. Now that people have been paying for Nintendo Online for nothing for quite a long time Nintendo can afford to create some dedicated server farms for the payers.

This is an expansion pack of 2.

Last edited:

Kabelly

What they need is an Open Beta to try and tighten netcode, but if they're using P2P again, then it doesn't matter it'll always be shit. Now that people have been paying for Nintendo Online for nothing for quite a long time Nintendo can afford to create some dedicated server farms for the payers.

This is an expansion pack of 2.
I swear Splatoon is the only shooter ever to get criticized for being "just an expansion." It's the exact same arguments people were saying for Splatoon 2.

We have so far:
Completely New Hub
New Weapons
New Specials
New Clothes
New Graphics
New UI
New Single Player Mode
New Maps
New movement mechanics

but it's just an expansion somehow.

Plus whatever we're going to see in a couple of days.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I swear Splatoon is the only shooter ever to get criticized for being "just an expansion." It's the exact same arguments people were saying for Splatoon 2.

We have so far:
Completely New Hub
New Weapons
New Specials
New Clothes
New Graphics
New UI
New Single Player Mode
New Maps
New movement mechanics

Plus whatever we're going to see in a couple of days.
After watching the videos thus far about the game, it's really hard to distinguish this from Splatoon 2.

I played a ton of Splatoon 2, and even for me it's hard to see major changes.

can't see season 2 GIF by Portlandia

New graphics?! It's slightly shinier?

OH OF COURSE!

The cats at the end are DIFFERENT!

Over It Ok GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Last edited:

Kabelly

After watching the videos thus far about the game, it's really hard to distinguish this from Splatoon 2.
The core mechanics are going to be the same. I don't know what you expect. It's not going to be a turned based game now. Sounds like you didn't play the game at all because from my point of view I see a completely different game with a completely different meta.

Graphically, well it's still on Switch so it's not going to be some 4K showcase, but there's so many new animations. Even just the way you spawn in maps is completely different and changes how you approach the game.

People just see "inklings shooting ink" so it's the same game.

jaysius

Banned
The core mechanics are going to be the same. I don't know what you expect. It's not going to be a turned based game now. Sounds like you didn't play the game at all because from my point of view I see a completely different game with a completely different meta.

Graphically, well it's still on Switch so it's not going to be some 4K showcase, but there's so many new animations. Even just the way you spawn in maps is completely different and changes how you approach the game.

This game should be included in Nintendo Online Expansion, it'd sell subs and it'd be a fair deal for subscribers, also it'd create a HUGE community.

Kabelly

can't see season 2 GIF by Portlandia't see season 2 GIF by Portlandia

OH OF COURSE!

so in this video i see a bunch of new specials
i see the new movement options being used
the victory screen is different
there's new gamertags
a new map
new respawn

keep lying to yourself

They could change things up by adding more impact to stages in terms of vertical. From what I've seen it looks like the same game just with more brown.

Vehicle gameplay that maybe incorporates co-op play?

I sure hope they show something new off.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
About time, I’ll definitely tune in for this!

Didn’t really expect we’d get a third on Switch but I’ll take it if it’s as great as the last two installments.

Banjo64

cumsessed

OH OF COURSE!

I mean, did Modern Warfare 2 really improve on the graphics from Modern Warfare? Not really. However MW2 was one of the all time great FPS games.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it, but this looks great in my opinion. It’s just a traditional sequel.

Kabelly

They could change things up by adding more impact to stages in terms of vertical. From what I've seen it looks like the same game just with more brown.

Vehicle gameplay that maybe incorporates co-op play?

I sure hope they show something new off.
More vertical ? You mean like moray towers. We've had that already and will probably will have more of that from maps we haven't seen yet. The desolate look of the game is a story reason.

I guess the issues for people is all they see is "inklings shooting ink" so it looks the same to them. Plus nintendo is showing the most basic and most boring mode. People are just going to continue to ignore all the new things I listed because reasons.

I don't know what you mean by vehicle gameplay but that sounds like an interesting idea.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I actually buy Splatoon for the single player puzzle shooting campaign and play the multiplayer on and off (it has the best none assisted aiming in console, I'm not joking)

I'm not going to claim people here with criticisms towards content haven't played the game becaue having played both Splatoon one and two on the Wii U and Switch respectively I would not say two was not radically diffrent enough until it got its octo expansion outside of being made available on a diffrent system to warrant its own purchase. However the Octo expansion pushed the content into the safe zone for me.

But since three is on the same system, I am looking forward to seeing how its refined and the content available, might be enough, might not but the game will have to launch before we know for sure. However games like Mario Strikers has shown Nintendo can miss the mark with content.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Hoping for some kind of new multiplayer mode and a great looking singleplayer campaign.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
a great looking singleplayer campaign.
I fought on the side of Order in the last Splatfest. I wanted a futuristic robot city. Now we're stuck in the Mad Max desert hellhole of Chaos.

The highlight for me is going to be Salmon Run.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Chaos all the way for me, I just love the whole ‘ancient humans who used to populate earth’ thing they’ve got going and I’m hoping they’ll lean more into that.
Fire This Is Fine GIF

I want Mr. Grizz to reveal himself and show that some mammals have survived, starting a new war to take back territory.

OH OF COURSE!

I get where you’re coming from but a bunch of sequels look the same as the last game. Assassins Creed looks and basically plays the same, Call of Duty (obviously) and there are others.

At least with this, there are actual changes like a whole SP campaign.

Splatoon is cool, but why doing Splatoon 3 on Switch, if they could just evergreen Splatoon 2 with a new season? They did precisely that with Mario Kart 8 this year and Splatoon is arguably something out a Saturday cartoon so new content being added (in a game as a service line of thought) is just obvious, specially seeing they charge for online-play now.

This is a double shot in the feet of the IP.
We have so far:
Completely New Hub
New Weapons
New Specials
New Clothes
New Graphics
New UI
New Single Player Mode
New Maps
New movement mechanics

Taking the new hub, revised UI, single player campaign (some two of changes certainly done to distinguish Splatoon 2 from Splatoon 3, a hub is a hub, and the UI wasn't broken), you described what an expansion usually does.

That just leaves the single player campaign, which they couldn't get away with not doing and is probably 6 hours of content. And the new Exhibition mode (offline multiplayer against bots with no local multiplayer without real players being possible). Thank you Nintendo.

Last edited:

Tams

Shiver looks decent. The yellow one is rather ugly though. Not a fan.

But really, Team Big Man here.

I'll enjoy this as despite getting 2 on launch, I only played about 10 matches and only recently bothered completing the campaign. I missed all the Splatfests. Perhaps I got that 'it's an expansion' feeling some are getting now, but from the original (I played a lot of that).

Tg89

Splatoon is cool, but why doing Splatoon 3 on Switch, if they could just evergreen Splatoon 2 with a new season?

Taking the new hub and single player campaign, you described an expansion.

Money for starters, I'd imagine.

But the game clearly has a ton of changes from 2 that wouldn't just be accomplished with a new season.

jaysius

Banned
Jesus this thing looks FUGLY. The Switch is really holding back it's possible fidelity.

The new weapons look interesting. It's a shame Nintendo doesn't believe in real sales on their products.

It's a shame that the same boring painful grind of obtaining random modifiers for your time and performance is the meta they've chosen yet again.

This will probably have just as many glitchers and shitty idlers that ruin the game.

This should have been a perk for Nintendo Online Expansion.

It's really just an expansion on Splatoon 2.

Last edited:
Pretty good! I mostly see improvements for joining friends, replays and that sort of thing, but the card game sounds pretty neat. I didn't really see the point in the locker customization. Splatfests with 3 sides is the natural progression and makes those matches different from the usual, much more exciting. The Salmon Run event also sounds promising.

Not sure how I feel about the new idols yet. The Octoling looks freaky to me. Must be the giant forehead, weird eyebrows and her vampire teeth that stick out. What a combo. The stingray makes up for it though.

Overall it seems like there's a decent amount of new content though, and 2 years of additional stuff.

mcjmetroid

The only thing I want is a split screen mode really. It's strange it's the only Nintendo multiplayer game without one. I've no real interest on online.

edit: looks like my wish has come through

Last edited:
Money for starters, I'd imagine.
Sure, but it doesn't seem like they're managing the IP right.
But the game clearly has a ton of changes from 2 that wouldn't just be accomplished with a new season.
If it was a game as a service, they could make those changes in the base game as well.
all shooters are expansions then
Some of them are.

Remember that in Splatoon the single player campaign is an extra. In a lot of shooters new campaign=new game, but I wouldn't agree in this case. That's not where the meat is.

Tg89

Splatoon definitely has some of the best style in gaming. I really appreciate how they take things that most games would just do through generic focus tested menus and integrate it into the world. It's definitely not perfect and comes with it's own limitations but certainly appreciated. Brings you back to the N64/PS1 era where pa games style came out in all areas. In general I'm glad we moved away from that, most games don't pull it off or have a good/unique enough look to warrant it in the first place, but Splatoon is certainly one of the outliers.

Top Bottom