• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Datamined: Future Weapons, Maps, and Mode information leaked

Hugstable

Banned
I kind of like how they are dripping out content slowly as opposed to having it all at once. It's kept the game fresh and has made content feel like an event.

I know that sounds like defending a bad practice. But just the entire way they roll content out within the world, I've really like it *shrugs*

I agree I've been liking it as well, Team Fortress 2 started much the same way and it's cool cause i don't play a huge amount, but there always feel like something new everytime i come back. Although I probably only play maybe an hour or 2 every 3 days or so. I'm not a big MP person and very few pull me in and get me playing alot.

Blues1990

I think it would be pretty cool if there was a piece of equipment that can transform your squid form into that of a Blooper (from the Super Mario Bros. series). Also, there needs to be an Isle Delfino map.

Kyzon

Not seeing Octoling character choice. Kyzon is saddened by this.

Going by no info though, I hope this list isn't in order. I want a new brush to try out sooner than later.

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh wow, 30+ weapons? Shit I didn't expect that O_O

I'm not a fan of on-disc content locked away from us, but since this game keeps me coming back with their roll out strategy...it isn't bothering me. I'm not getting charged again and I was aware of this format for their new content thanks to the Splatoon Direct.

I do wish they had more maps available from the start and the 2 maps per 4 hours was either a bit shorter or had more maps in between. Other than that, I'm ok with this.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So you haven't seen the videos or pictures showing a 3 map rotation, got it.
And you don't realize that there are new game modes as well, apparently.

I bet that the game modes are not finished yet. Not everything that it's in the data structure is on disk.

TDLink

I bet that the game modes are not finished yet. Not everything that it's in the data structure is on disk.

Based on what they showed in the Nintendo Direct I'm pretty sure the Tower Control mode was either complete or close to complete upon pressing the discs while Rainmaker clearly was not yet in a showable form.

massoluk

Banned
Splatoon has officially been cracked open. It looks like there are 10 maps on the disc, with only two unreleased (Camp and Skyscraper)

CIBzm4dUsAARse5.png

Is Skyscraper the one on Nintendo E3 Digital Event last year at 38m 52s? I don't see any map resembling it.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisRY6h100U&t=38m51s

Man, a blast to the past, the stages have been tweaked quite a bit from last year E3. There used to be only 2 routes to the middle area in Urchin underpass instead of 2, and Saltspray Rig lower portion is unrecognizable.

Totakeke

There's nothing wrong with waiting till August then playing the game when you think the game has enough content for you. But to say you'll forever stop playing the game because it didn't launch with enough content is silly. Plenty of PC games nowadays have early access too, and I think that's not too dissimilar to what's happening here.

TDLink

Is Skyscraper the one on Nintendo E3 Digital Event last year at 38m 52s? I don't see any map resembling it.:

Man, a blast to the past, the stages have been tweaked quite a bit from last year E3. There used to be only 2 routes to the middle area in Urchin underpass instead of 2, and Saltspray Rig lower portion is unrecognizable.

The theory is that stage in the video was an earlier version of Saltspray Rig. Otherwise we have no idea. That map definitely is not on the disc.

EDIT

The skyscraper map appeared in the Splatfest trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idXni2gNNec

The map you saw there is apparently still coming, it was in a promo video in April; it's definitely not an early Saltspray Rig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLgUmfIMbJM#t=31s

Interesting. Well I guess we know at least one more then.

The skyscraper map appeared in the Splatfest trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idXni2gNNec

The map you saw there is apparently still coming, it was in a promo video in April; it's definitely not an early Saltspray Rig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLgUmfIMbJM#t=31s

erawsd

Wait.. This stuff is just locked away on the disc? I hope its stuff that is just incomplete because, free or not, thats a really shitty practice.

Man, so originally I thought the reasoning of releasing with only 5 maps was because of time constraints, but no, they were just locking it on disc behind a proprietary time limit... really poor decision on their part. I've gotten my fill of the released maps about a week after it came out, at this point i've been biding my time and waiting for the rest to roll out but to know that they intentionally did this rubs me the wrong way.

Wait.. This stuff is just locked away on the disc? I hope its stuff that is just incomplete because, free or not, thats a really shitty practice.

There's an interview with the developers and they said they wanted to space the content out in order to tailor the game and its community's evolution in the best way possible after launch, rather than the PR message which is "free content post-launch". I think that's good for a game of this type, especially as the single player launched complete, with the maps that show up in multiplayer, though I think the initial map count could have been a tad higher, enough to make for 3 stage rotations.

It means Nintendo is confident that the game is fresh and compelling enough that the launch content was enough to stand on its own for a week, and I think Nintendo's handling the post-launch well, both in content terms and on social media -- keeps things fresh and they can introduce whatever content whenever they went depending on player metrics, in the run up to the true content update in August. I've noticed all the newer maps seem to be aimed at higher-level players, same goes for some of the weapons.

It's pretty indicative of a game from some of the minds behind Animal Crossing, that they are handling seasonal content well, though I'm not a fan of how it's been spun off to mean "free new content" either -- it hasn't been communicated well and in a way that non-players would understand -- but it's clear the intention is a meaningful one, much like Level-5 and weekly Layton puzzle unlocks.

It's also worth noting that Bluefin Depot and Kelp Dome were in the single player stages, and the upcoming Camp Triggerfish was shown as early as November in a Splatoon trailer. A lot of the post-launch content and maps also appeared in the Prima guide for the game, which launched alongside the game a month ago.

Totakeke

Mononoke

Banned

Jarmel brought up some good points as to why this is a bad practice/precedent. I see where you guys are coming from now now.

I think Nintendo should have been upfront with people on this.

Japan had a 3-map rotation Splatfest and it went back to 2 maps afterwards. Did you quit the game in the first day because ranked wasn't unlocked 3 days afterwards?
That's great that they're starting 3 map rotations. Would have still preferred it from the beginning, due to odds of having a repeat map are much lower.
As for your second question, I quit once I hit Rank B and realized that Ranked is bullshit due to the international lag and bad players dragging your team down - I couldn't drag myself out of B no matter how many teams I carried. I'll try again once I can set up parties... or not, because apparently I'm not that interested in the game. lol

I'm sure some aren't, but I'm also sure some are. They showed at least one off in the Splatoon Direct, IIRC.

MouldyK

I think those that think we should have full access to all content at launch, also have a valid point too. I personally hate how they rotate clothes in this game. I get why they rotate clothes over a time period. But I hate how they include clothes you bought already in the refresh, and how often clothes are just re-used with different colors. I understand from a design point WHY this is done that way. Because it makes you go out in the world, and buy clothes from other people. It also makes it so, people aren't just devouring through all the various clothes content.

I only need 5 shirts (3 on order already, so really I need 2) in order to have all the clothes in the game. :p

But yes, I believe this system has many flaws, like the fact 2 shirts I have on order I have NEVER seen before in the 3 weeks which has passed since the game came out.

New clothes from the Shop? That died like a week ago for me mostly, besides some hats I got over the week.

Also, if GAF wants any clothes from me, feel free to hit me up and i'll play a couple games with peeps to make sure they get the items. :D

DaBoss

The second video just uses old footage. That is definitely early Saltspray Rig and the clip after shows early Arowana Mall. It also shows early Urchin Underpass.

For some reason, they used old clips for that video.

Mononoke

Banned
I only need 5 shirts (3 on order already, so really I need 2) in order to have all the clothes in the game. :p

But yes, I believe this system has many flaws, like the fact 2 shirts I have on order I have NEVER seen before in the 3 weeks which has passed since the game came out.

New clothes from the Shop? That died like a week ago for me mostly, besides some hats I got over the week.

Also, if GAF wants any clothes from me, feel free to hit me up and i'll play a couple games with peeps to make sure they get the items. :D

I can't tell you how many times I've waited for a refresh, only to be absolutely let down in my clothing options. My god. Also, I feel like by this point, we've seen all the clothes there is. And I personally think most of the clothes look terrible. Like they are out of the Wal Mart/Gap collection. We need more fresh options. :p

massoluk

Banned
The second video just uses old footage. That is definitely early Saltspray Rig and the clip after shows early Arowana Mall. It also shows early Urchin Underpass.

For some reason they used old clips for that.

Ok, I see a Saltspray Rig in there now. So I guess that's that.

I find it a little imprudent to go "just because there's data there on the disc doesn't mean it was finished at pressing time!" when in a few days we'll know exactly what stuff on the disc is actually finished and just waiting for a timed unlock.

Oh wow, that map at 0:31, I also thought that was an early Saltspray Rig, as I recently spotted it in the E3 2014 developer walkthrough for the game, but you have to be right -- it simply looked too different to be Saltspray Rig.

Edit: nevermind, I saw DaBoss' comment (also I wonder who the "DaBoss" I battled in Splatoon a few days ago was!)

Jarmel

Banned
This sets an awful precedent. Imagine if EA or Activision hid half the maps on the disc and slowly rolled them out as "Free DLC". That way they prevent consumers from returning their copies because hey, a new map is coming out soon.

50% of the content locked away for on-disc DLC. what a joke. so glad i didnt buy this game.

I think Nintendo communicated this aspect of the multiplayer badly by spinning it out as free content. The developers have a good reason for picking and choosing which content to release when, based on where the online community is going and which would be the best fit first, and I think they've done a great job at supporting the game post-launch, with genuinely inspired social media and messaging.

On the other hand, any cynicism about the content is likely to come from a minority, and for the majority, "free post-game updates" sounds like a more appealing prospect.

To me it feels very Animal Crossing, and since any unlockable content from the server only applies to the game's always-evolving online modes, I don't see it as the same kind of "on-disc" DLC that's cynically locked away in single player games. It's part of the fun in my eyes.

Heck no also if it weren't for the those ass**** leakers you would've never know it was on a the disc and be happy with the updates.
Do you a favor stop reading leaks.

If it weren't for those ass**** leakers I would still be calling Splatoon unfinished and rushed out the door. Honestly. It's a solid game, but the amount of missing stuff and the horrid map rotation has really slowed this game down. It just feels like they have no faith in the longevity of the game, and decided to spoonfeed us content we should have from day 1 while they scramble to finish the Private Lobbies which should have ALSO been there Day 1.

massoluk

Banned
This sets an awful precedent. Imagine if EA or Activision hid half the maps on the disc and slowly rolled them out as "Free DLC". That way they prevent consumers from returning their copies because hey, a new map is coming out soon.

I imagine there really wouldn't be a giant backlash you all want to believe. It was nickel and dime microtransactions that result in backlash, not timelocked content.

How is this different from locking up characters in Smash Bros or Kart option in MK8?

MouldyK

Yeah, instead they charge for maps and split the community up because of it. :p

Totakeke

I would also make the argument while the number of maps at launch can feel too few, the number of weapons definitely doesn't. It would be excessive if they had all these weapons at launch.

Mononoke

Banned

I will say, I think Nintendo should have been upfront with their customers on it. And the way you put it, that would be pretty shitty if all games started doing that. Basically, releasing games early and not finished, and then rolling out the content free later on.

I don't know. It's just weird, because this totally worked for me with this game. But the way you are putting it, I can see where people are coming from now, with saying this is a shitty practice. Appreciate you explaining why you think it's a bad thing.

My guess is that some people would be really annoyed by it and some wouldn't really care, since the content doesn't cost any extra money.

You know, basically like how Splatoon is being received.

Einbroch

Banned
The defense of this is absolutely insane to me.

You can not be bothered by it and enjoy the game, but to applaud them holding back content that has no reason to be held back?

I don't get it. It's misleading at best.

MouldyK

I will say, I think Nintendo should have been upfront with their customers on it. And the way you put it, that would be pretty shitty if all games started doing that. Basically, releasing games early and not finished, and then rolling out the content free later on.

But the game maps are finished...they are just with-holding it. o_O

Still, I am not that bothered by it like you. I think it works.

Jackano

Disc-Locked Content at its finest.
I understand the negative feedbacks, even if it don't bother me.

However seeing that awesome data-mining work, it feels a little excessive for Nintendo to keep that much stuff locked. It's all about finding the balance, and I think a couple single player maps should have been released day one.

Totakeke

You can not be bothered by it and enjoy the game, but to applaud them holding back content that has no reason to be held back?

It sustains the community longer, it allows for the community to examine each map and weapon more closely, it promotes a gradual increase of difficulty especially for japan who are not big on shooters. Whether you agree is a different matter, but saying it brings zero upsides is patently false.

Mononoke

Banned
But the game maps are finished...they are just with-holding it. o_O

Still, I am not that bothered by it like you. I think it works.

Er, I was more so talking about in the future, the possibility of companies using this as a crutch for games not finished. But you are right, if all the content IS finished, and they are choosing to roll it out.

Jarmel did bring up a good point about this being used to keep people from trading the game in. Hmmm. Like I said, it's weird for me, because it's totally worked for me in this game. But now that people are kind of, talking about it as a practice in a larger sense, I do kind of worry that other companies would botch this, or abuse this system.

Maybe that's an exaggerated fear.

Because it actually worked for some people? I actually liked the way content was rolled out. I again, thought it made the content feel more like an event, made it more exciting. Also made it so I didn't feel like I had over used all the content in the first week. It didn't just NOT bother me, I actually liked the way it worked within Splatoon as a choice from the devs.

I see where you people who are against this are coming from. The criticisms have been valid, and have actually made me re-think why this is a bad practice. But to be clear, I actually liked how it worked in Splatoon. It's not just me saying "i'm not bothered by it". IF they had given me the choice, I would have picked they do this, vs having all content available at launch.

nampad

Once again, I guess if Activision, Ubisoft or EA would be caught doing this, the reactions would be totally different.
This is a pretty shitty decision by Nintendo, who seem to like to dictate what their customers can or can't do.

Einbroch

Banned
It sustains the community longer, it allows for the community to examine each map and weapon more closely, it promotes a gradual increase of difficulty especially for japan who are not big on shooters. Whether you agree is a different matter, but saying it brings zero upsides it patently false.
How about they release the content on the disk all at launch then actually create free DLC for the player, stuff that couldn't be done in time for launch? I might agree with you if the game had a ton of content right out the gate, but it didn't.

This is a horrible practice.

Once again, I guess if Activision, Ubisoft or EA would be caught doing this, the reactions would be totally different.
This is a pretty shitty decision by Nintendo, who seem to like to dictate what their customers can or can't do.

My guess is that some people would be really annoyed by it and some wouldn't really care, since the content doesn't cost any extra money.

You know, basically like how Splatoon is being received.

Top Bottom