• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Datamined: Future Weapons, Maps, and Mode information leaked

ryechu

I mean its established that they could've releases a lot more content at launch. They werent rushing out the game. It was a design philosophy.

1. It was not rushed out. The on disc content illustrates this.
2. The on disc content was not delayed for greed but rather to modulate the communtiy.

The only thing left to attack at this point is the hand holding design philosophy. But unfortunately your opinion has no merit unless you played the game extensively to know the pros and cons.

I think it worked out fine. It took me 140 hour since launch to come up with strategies with the existing weapons anyways.

trixx

Best Nintendo game in a while. Can't wait for the new modes and weapons.

I wish the maps were released a bit earlier. Major complaint is not able to choose the map we want to play on, same 2 maps every 4 hours is really lame.

30 new weapons jeez. There's already like 30 weps to choose from I think if all 60 were available from the start it would be a bit too overwhelming. Also there's 30 weapons available but you hop online and people using the same 4 weapons =/ with the occasional sniper.

Even though I disagree with Splatoon's design philisophy on releasing the content I am still enjoying it, and I'm sure come August it'll be 100x better than it is now with private lobbies and more than 2 maps every 4 hours!

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
The more the better. I haven't had a lot of time to play this too dedicatedly so this way of releasing content works very well for me.

I hope they support it more after August, this game is a ton of fun and would be a great title to be supported into the NX.

ryechu

Even though I disagree with Splatoon's design philisophy on releasing the content I am still enjoying it, and I'm sure come August it'll be 100x better than it is now with private lobbies and more than 2 maps every 4 hours!

I think private lobbies should have been made to come out a lot sooner than august. It should be 2/3 maps every 1 or 2 hours. Ranked should have come out after day 1 given the number of people at lvl 10. Kelp dome was simple enough to be released off the bat. I am fine with the starting weapon selection. I am fine with no voice chat given the number of foreigners in lobbies plus the moba-like rage inducing gameplay of splat zones, however VC among friends would have been appreciated.

By far the biggest problem I have with the game is its lack of regional matchmaking and lack of team balancing in ranked.

As far as I can tell though from my personal experience and through watching streams, the continuous stream of updates has helped the online community's heath, as the model has done with games like TF2, and dota 2 beta.

Geg

congratz on derailing a hype thread. Jesus Christ. Some people actually play and enjoy this game, were aware of what their 60 dollar purchase meant, knew that all this stuff was on disc from the first update being automatically implemented.

It's a splatoon thread, this shit has been going on since the info about no voice chat came out. Can't have a single thread about new info without the peanut gallery showing up to make sure everyone knows they disapprove

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Did I overgeneralize and say everyone who played the game agree these decisions? My post was not addressed to you.
I read it like you were addressing the criticisms in general. With your second post I see you meant to adress people who haven't played the game.

I mean its established that they could've releases a lot more content at launch. They werent rushing out the game. It was a design philosophy.

1. It was not rushed out. The on disc content illustrates this.
2. The on disc content was not delayed for greed but rather to modulate the communtiy.

The only thing left to attack at this point is the hand holding design philosophy. But unfortunately your opinion has no merit unless you played the game extensively to know the pros and cons.

I think it worked out fine. It took me 140 hour since launch to come up with strategies with the existing weapons anyways.

It can be a design choice, to manage the community, and rushed. Some content on disc being locked doesn't disprove it being rushed. It just smooths the transition from on-disc unlocks to future downloadable content. If they gave us all content on the disc, then weeks later we get maps and the August update it would be more jarring.

Rocky

Banned
Right, you're the smart one and everyone who bought Splatoon is teh dumb.

Where's the arrogance now?

No, but I think I'm the smart one because I don't blindly worship a company who doesn't even know I exist and arrogantly defend them at every turn.

So I guess you folks think Animal Crossing is disgusting and anti-consumer?

Funny you should bring up AC, which was one of the best games ever on the GCN with the unlockable FULL NES games. The ones you now have to pay 5 bucks a pop for. That sounds pretty anti-consumer to me.

This is why sales do in fact matter. If the console was healthy there would be more coming to it in the near future and Nintendo wouldn't feel the need to drip-feed apparently already finished content over a period of months.

Dryk

Octobrush is going to suck isn't it. It's a paintbrush with a stronger attack and the Krak-On Roller's subs.

Carbon Roller Deco - Seekers & Bomb Rush
Oh no... that's... noooo....

ryechu

I read it like you were addressing the criticisms in general. With your second post I see you meant to adress people who haven't played the game.

It can be a design choice, to manage the community, and rushed. Some content on disc being locked doesn't disprove it being rushed. It just smooths the transition from on-disc unlocks to future downloadable content. If they gave us all content on the disc, then weeks later we get maps and the August update it would be more jarring.

True. However a lot of these weapons were shown to be in alpha screenshots, best buy demos from like four months ago. We knew about camp triggerfish for a while as well. So at the very least they could have launched the game with ten maps, three modes, and a lot more weapons and supported the game with DLC months later. This would have made the game similar in breadth to Titanfall.

With that amount of content, you might still consider it rushed. Given that the devs have stated that the game was only 10% done before e3, it would make sense that the game was pushed out to meet a deadline. Still the amount of content they could have released the game with is a lot more than most critics thought Nintendo had available. "5 maps, 1 mode"

ryechu

No, but I think I'm the smart one because I don't blindly worship a company who doesn't even know I exist and arrogantly defend them at every turn.

Funny you should bring up AC, which was one of the best games ever on the GCN with the unlockable FULL NES games. The ones you now have to pay 5 bucks a pop for. That sounds pretty anti-consumer to me.

You have made it clear that you are very far from being the "smart one." You have no idea what is even going on right now. You don't even know what this is about.

Converse

Banned

That's a hell of a stretch there. I'm clearly referring to the structure of both Splatoon and Animal Crossing being tied to real-world time, in such a way that the games offer new content dependent on when you're playing. What do NES Virtual Console prices have to do with anything?

DirtyLarry

I only play the game on occasion and even I can say without any doubt in my mind they should have launched the game with more maps. Variety is the spice of life.

Regiruler

No Octoling mode?
If anything I expect this to be part of the august update, and a worldwide story event to go along with it in the form of a special splatfest (unheard of in a nintendo game but fairly common in mmos).

Rainmaker is coming in august so I don't know why it's in here.

Zemm

Map rotation system is by far the worst thing about the game. Too often I'd boot the game up and it's rotating between two maps I think are crap, so that's upto 4 hours of no Splatoon or just play the shitty maps. It's hard to get my head around as someone that plays fps games on PC. It's mental.

Anteo

As anyone who watched the direct expected and/or played the single player campaign, they had the maps and weapons on disk. However, it seems that nothing from the august dlc is on disc.
So basically, they never lied, they are giving us exactly what they offered, rolling out weapons, maps and modes until the big august update that will be actual dlc, free dlc

That's... a lot of on-disc DLC. This worries me greatly.

I mean at least this will all be free, but the fact they need online updates to be unlocked means that people buying and playing this game in the future will wind up with only a portion of the game on-disc. :/

This does not bode well for preservation, and for a Nintendo title, that is very unfortunate.

Zeldana

Neo Member
That's a hell of a stretch there. I'm clearly referring to the structure of both Splatoon and Animal Crossing being tied to real-world time, in such a way that the games offer new content dependent on when you're playing. What do NES Virtual Console prices have to do with anything?
I can offer two differences I've noticed between Animal Crossing and Splatoon: 1) AC already has the vast majority of the decorative items available from the get-go via shops, neighbors, friends' catalogs, what-have-you, and whatever is seasonal (fish, bugs, fossils, etc.) is generally not of practical value to online interactions like Splatoon's weapons. 2) If you absolutely NEED the Jingle set RIGHT NOW there's nothing stopping you from time traveling to Christmas Day and getting the items that way. A better comparison may be Pokemon Shuffle's irritating drip feed but the game is F2P so it's not quite the same.

To be fair, I don't yet own Splatoon but I'm tremendously excited to try it out based on what's been shown already as well as what's to come in future updates. However, there's one caveat: I'm waiting until August when everything's already available (and then some). I've got enough confidence in my abilities to figure out how items and maps work by playing through them systematically, much like every other game ever released with stages and weapons present from Day 1. The weird thing is how the devs are worried about the health of the online community when there doesn't appear (from what I've read) to be a lot of options as to how to team up and which maps are playable at any given time. At least not for the time being.

Either way I'm sure Nintendo's taking lots of notes here... I'm curious to see if they comment on results later on down the line.

Exile20

So question. Do you think you would be happier at launch or in Aug?

Dryk

I mean at least this will all be free, but the fact they need online updates to be unlocked means that people buying and playing this game in the future will wind up with only a portion of the game on-disc. :/

This does not bode well for preservation, and for a Nintendo title, that is very unfortunate.
Everything that's locked is only available in online multiplayer anyway...

Dryk

None of the weapons and such can be used in local multiplayer? If that's the case, then it's nothing lost.
Yep. The local multiplayer is only the first 5 maps and 8 of the initial weapons. That said it's possible that they'll update it when all the weapons and maps are unlocked, but they probably won't bother.

RagnarokX

That's ridiculous. Defending things doesn't mean you blindly worship them.

Splatoon was going to cost $60 at launch and it's gonna cost $60 after all of the content is released. It makes no difference to me logically when I buy it. It's still going to cost the same amount of money and I'm still going to get the same amount of content for that money. Buying at launch has the advantage because it's awesome to play even in its limited form.

wsippel

Banned
So all of the content is on disc and they're making it sound like they're giving away free dlc?

Disgusting.
This entitled nonsense really has to stop. Just because something's on a disk doesn't mean you own it. In professional software, all disks usually contain all versions. My $400 Maya student edition disk back in the day contained all versions, including Maya Unlimited, which was $20,000 or something. But I didn't own Maya Unlimited, so I couldn't use it. It's as simple as that. Games are no different.

Crayolan

I like the concept of the content rollout but I feel they left a little too much locked at launch. I would have liked if they had a few more basic weapons (such as the Inkbrush) and at least 8 maps available from the start.

I don't think people would mind if they only released 1 new map every 2 weeks as opposed to every week like they are now and instead had all the currently available maps available at launch. In the empty weeks they could release weapons since there seems to be a ton of them left to be unlocked.

Einbroch

Banned
This entitled nonsense really has to stop. Just because something's on a disk doesn't mean you own it. In professional software, all disks usually contain all versions. My $400 Maya student edition disk back in the day contained all versions, including Maya Unlimited, which was $20,000 or something. But I didn't own Maya Unlimited, so I couldn't use it. It's as simple as that. Games are no different.
Is this a joke post or not? I can't tell anymore. So much hyperbole on both sides.

Azure J

I just turned my Wii U off in my imagination reading this. My God that is going to be bonkers

Splat-o-matic's Suction Bomb Rush already makes the game look like we're playing the last Vorkken battle in the Wonderful 101. I can't wait to see how the framerate tanks when Seekers are scuttling everywhere blowing shit up. :lol

ryechu

Is this a joke post or not? I can't tell anymore. So much hyperbole on both sides.

I mean he was responding to a stupid post so idk. Nintendo aren't spinning this as free dlc. They are just making sure that everyone knows that their updates to the game will be free. Instead of releasing everything they have made at once, they are periodically, every four days or so, releasing it one by one. All these clueless people read the title, come in here and shit out their misinformed 2cents and we'd best ignore those folks.

wsippel

Banned
I'm serious. You knew what you'd get - nobody promised you stuff, then took it away. The fact that something's on a medium you own is irrelevant. And in this particular case, you don't even have to pay for the stuff anyway, so bitching is even more pointless.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Splat-o-matic's Suction Bomb Rush already makes the game look like we're playing the last Vorkken battle in the Wonderful 101. I can't wait to see how the framerate tanks when Seekers are scuttling everywhere blowing shit up. :lol
You know, I want to see 8 players (with same special) get their specials ready and unleash them all together. Like 8 Krakens, just chillin' or 8 Inkstrikes on one spot.

WALKMAN04

As someone who has played the game since day 1 I gotta say I'm a fan of the distribution of content even if it is already on the disc, playing with the splatoon gaf community a lot I feel like a lot of us would have lost interest in the game if they gave us everything from the start, there were a bunch of times where it seemed like we all lost interest. I have about 70 friends just from the splatoon gaf community and there were times where only 1 or 2 of us were online, but every time they released "new" content we all went on and our interest was held for a few days and then they release another piece of content and we do the same thing. I don't really care if I can have the content that's already on the disc earlier it's not like I'm paying extra for it like some companies make you do.

So question. Do you think you would be happier at launch or in Aug?

August absolutely! I have a plenty of friends who play and trying to get games together without private lobbies is a pain especially when you they kick you out for map rotations. On top of the new maps and the possibility of playing more than just Turf War with friends, I'll be much happier with my purchase in a couple months.

Aroll

Many of them provide more than 5 maps though. In fact COD usually provides 10 or more, so by that reasoning Splatoon is providing less content than COD but at least with COD you can play it all at once. That's not even getting into the lack of modes Splatoon has, which is absurdly low.

Well, more or less, Splatoon has the same, just not all available at once. It's an interesting idea of what is better - less maps with frequent releases that make people come back, or more maps at once leading to a huge launch, but maybe not much else unless you pay for DLC?

I'm not sure either approach is inherently better than the other.

Xeteh

Maybe I'm wrong... it wouldn't be the first time.

Yeah, this stuff is all on disc and we have no access to it yet. To me that is a far better incentive to keep the game than an online pass or DLC. Yeah, Nintendo is putting it out piecemeal but it isn't costing us any extra. I get it, its on disc. We already paid for it but gating it and giving it out for free is by far one of the least predatory methods people have used.

Bulbasaur

Banned
That's a lot of weapons!

And the Skyscraper level looks great. It'll be fun to stand at the top and watch all the action unfold below!

Garou

For the last time: It's not DLC, absolutely nothing is downloaded, not even a small unlock-file. It's just a playlist on the game server.

L95

If the stuff is unavailable for update/'download', then that means online pvp is gone, which means the on-disk 'dlc' is irrelevant anyway. This stuff doesn't effect local multiplayer or the single player campaign. (from my understanding.)

Top Bottom