• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Datamined: Future Weapons, Maps, and Mode information leaked

Shizuka

Splatoon can become a gold mine for Nintendo, I'm sure they'll handle additional content and future updates wisely.

For any folks that feel like they might not be getting enough variety or depth from Splatoon currently, I encourage you to take a look at the Splatoon OT! You can come on over and play, or maybe just talk tactics and strategy, which I would be pretty happy to do! (Because I'm going to need all the help I can get...)

For me I would be happy if Splatoon got a few more modes and stuff, but the weapon variety already available is quite staggering in the amount of awareness and planning that I need to employ. I'm regularly changing out weapons and optimizing my gear when I play against SplatGAF and looking at the maps that I'm playing on, and I feel like I'm learning new things when I play against them!

But even if I'm just playing against randoms, testing out different weapons to get a feel for their ranges, their TTK and the kind of areas or timings that I want to control gives me a wide variety of things to do as well. If you feel like maybe the game is becoming less interesting, try a different weapon and see how well you do!

test_account

XP-39C²
Oh wow, way to contradict myself! But i think even if we don't consider the Development Time, my point still stands that drip-feeding content the way it's done in Splatoon is nowhere near something that should be called Anti-Consumer.
Yeah, i wouldnt call it anti-consumer, i agree. From what i know, all that content is online only, so i dont think it matters that much (when the servers closes at some point in time, the content couldnt be used offline anyway i guess).

To be honest, i thought about that point for the Vita again, and i must say that i think it is Bullshit. At least partly. The System has gotten a Price-Cut At some point. The System alone. It was not a split Price Cut or anything. only the System. That made me doubt if the Cards had really this purpose the whole Time. But i think thats Off-Topic here. I shouldn't have used the Vita as Example >.>
Nah, no worries, i just ment it as a side note =) I think perhaps they dropped the price and hoped to bring in more on the memory cards, as in why they didnt drop the memory card prices at the same time (i do think that they have gotten an official price drop once, but i cant remember exactly).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait wait, the biggest weapon news is probably this.

DQ2qUdu.png

A new special, and it's a seeker rush. :eek:

I would main that if it's that good as single seeker.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
it is a single seeker, you can just use a lot of them in short succession

T1eed.jpg

I'm going to give that weapon a shot and see if I really like it! Seeker always helped me to rack up a lot of kills. That's one of few reasons why I haven't gave up my current weapon.

Again, Zapper with Inkstrike and mines. Nintendo is going to make my decision even more difficult soon.

Elija2

Are Nintendo really so worried about the longevity of Splatoon's online community that they'd deliberately hold off content like this? I mean, Mario Kart seems to have kept an active online community and it's not like there are that many other online games on Wii U for people to play.

phanphare

Banned
Are Nintendo really so worried about the longevity of Splatoon's online community that they'd deliberately hold off content like this? I mean, Mario Kart seems to have kept an active online community and it's not like there are that many other online games on Wii U for people to play.

I mean, Mario Kart probably isn't the best comparison..

that series has been going strong for decades

Nickie

Neo Member
The Skyscraper map looks hella complex! I hope it's not as annoying to play as Bluefin Depot... Man, do I hate that stage. Kelp Dome and Port Mackarel were way better.

Oh and Zap '89 with sprinkler and inkstrike????? Sounds way good!

I still hate the way they're rolling this out, I would have much rather had all this stuff unlocked at launch and then paid for DLC to extend it with new-new stuff through the summer, but man does Skyscraper look awesome.
How the hell are people excited about this? This is bullshit. Pay 60 bucks for a game and you get all the content in what? 3-6 months. Dafuq Ninty

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Mario Kart is Mario Kart. Splatoon is an 'out-there' new IP that needs to be looked after. A steady stream of content will keep people playing longer than if they just dumped it all there on the first day.

For any folks that feel like they might not be getting enough variety or depth from Splatoon currently, I encourage you to take a look at the Splatoon OT! You can come on over and play, or maybe just talk tactics and strategy, which I would be pretty happy to do! (Because I'm going to need all the help I can get...)

For me I would be happy if Splatoon got a few more modes and stuff, but the weapon variety already available is quite staggering in the amount of awareness and planning that I need to employ. I'm regularly changing out weapons and optimizing my gear when I play against SplatGAF and looking at the maps that I'm playing on, and I feel like I'm learning new things when I play against them!

But even if I'm just playing against randoms, testing out different weapons to get a feel for their ranges, their TTK and the kind of areas or timings that I want to control gives me a wide variety of things to do as well. If you feel like maybe the game is becoming less interesting, try a different weapon and see how well you do!

Not very well! ;-)

Absolutely agree with what you say - great fun trying out new weapons, gears and strategies. I've been playing the game solid - am definitely hooked - and the fun feels remains so fresh.

Elija2

Mario Kart is Mario Kart. Splatoon is an 'out-there' new IP that needs to be looked after. A steady stream of content will keep people playing longer than if they just dumped it all there on the first day.

Sure, but why couldn't they just develop new content after the game is released instead of holding off content that is already done?

How the hell are people excited about this? This is bullshit. Pay 60 bucks for a game and you get all the content in what? 3-6 months. Dafuq Ninty
Speaking for myself, the game at launch was well worth $60 with the content that was available. It wouldn't matter to me if the content was on the disc or if the content was sitting on a remote server somewhere to be downloaded, particularly since the content is free (or at least part of the launch price). I barely mined away the launch content before the roll-out started, so the content drip doesn't make much of a difference.

Not very well! ;-)

Absolutely agree with what you say - great fun trying out new weapons, gears and strategies. I've been playing the game solid - am definitely hooked - and the fun feels remains so fresh.
What really provokes me to try new stuff is when I get my ass handed to me by a weapon that I don't understand that well. When that happens, I'll mull over what I think I did right or wrong and what different approaches I want to try next time. If I really don't have a clue about what to do, then I get the weapon and jump into random matches for awhile to see how it plays and what other players do against me. To me this is pretty similar to learning in fighting games or in DotA2. I'll probably end up losing a lot but I usually don't mind losing (as long as I feel like I learned something from those matches).

Nickie

Neo Member

It's the idea that they are rolling everything out for everyone to try out the same time... There's an excitement factor in it... It's like, why do you watch The Sound Of Music when they show it on TV every year during Christmas time when you already have the movie on DVD and can watch it anytime... It's boring if you watch it for the Nth time by yourself but there a strange feeling of excitement (there's no word invented for it) if you are watching it with everybody else at the same time... It's hard to explain, but it works for me... It was especially fun when they unlocked the inkbrush and EVERYBODY online started using it.

Sure, but why couldn't they just develop new content after the game is released instead of holding off content that is already done?
Content overload to the point of being unintuitive can potentially turn away people. Splatoon's core gameplay is fun enough for me that maybe I wouldn't mind dealing with that hurdle if Nintendo released everything at once (at least gradually), but I think that content overload can hurt a game, or at least contribute to other issues.

The first time I ever felt excessive content was a problem is in Team Fortress 2. TF2 when it launched didn't have a lot of maps nor a lot of modes, and the classes only had core weapons available at the time. Valve did some dev articles about keeping TF2 mostly simple and giving each class a unique silhouette so that players could visually identify the classes and understand what they needed to do almost immediately.

When Valve started rolling out community items though, things started going downhill for me. Some of the bullshit was unbalanced or made classes start doing things which weren't really part of their core design. It didn't help that it started becoming more difficult to unlock stuff so I couldn't play around with those items myself. I'm not 100% sure about what these items are doing, I don't get to use them to understand them, and I'm never really sure what the enemy's loadout is? Yeah that sort of guessing game wasn't so much fun for me after awhile.

I doubt Nintendo could decide on a content threshold that would be satisfying for everyone. I'm obviously fine with where it is now, but I can understand if other people aren't.

It's the idea that they are rolling everything out for everyone to try out the same time... There's an excitement factor in it... It's like, why do you watch The Sound Of Music when they show it on TV every year during Christmas time when you already have the movie on DVD and can watch it anytime... It's boring if you watch it for the Nth time by yourself but there a strange feeling of excitement (there's no word invented for it) if you are watching it with everybody else at the same time... It's hard to explain, but it works for me... It was especially fun when they unlocked the inkbrush and EVERYBODY online started using it.
Everyone being able to experiment with and against the new content at the same time is something I like as well. It is a very specifically pruned environment, but whenever new content pops up I have plenty of time to work with and around it.

8 players aren't required to start an online race or battle in Mario Kart 8, and it supports CPU players, both of which don't apply to Splatoon.

During the Japanese Splatfest that happened recently, less than 1 month after the game's release, we've had reports of European players having a hard time finding rooms in ranked mode at certain times.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think the inkbrush is the best example for how this work so well. If it was there at launch probably a lot less people would have tried it, because on paper it's much weaker than the other weapons. Launching it separately before the weekend got almost everybody to try it and a lot of people are using it as their main weapon. It's still my favourite weapon foot turf war.

OuterLimits

I think releasing one map per week is working for this game because of the way the maps are designed. Each new map is more advanced and relies on you being a better player than the 5 that launched with the game. There's more grates, obstacles, water hazards, un-paintable surfaces, and less direct routes across the map. The two that have yet to be released look to be continuing this trend. Learning each map is a very important part of the game too, the way they are doing it gives everyone a lot of time to really gain intimate knowledge of everything. By the start of next month (barely over a month after launch) we'll have all of the maps that were on disc anyways.

I don't find this to be some sort of terrible practice since it helps people actually get better at the game. I don't think everyone would have been prepared to fight on some of these maps without playing on the first few many times and learning the mechanics of the game. There's also the added benefit of keeping the community alive with something "new" to come back to every week.

Good post.

I admit I kind of suck at this game but I'm having a blast. Only level 9 at the moment though. I have been an idiot and fallen in the water many times on the recent maps added. Fortunately, the easier maps are still often in the rotation which is helpful.

Excited for the new maps, weapons and especially game modes like Rainmaker.

Good post.

I admit I kind of suck at this game but I'm having a blast. Only level 9 at the moment though. I have been an idiot and fallen in the water many times on the recent maps added. Fortunately, the easier maps are still often in the rotation which is helpful.

Excited for the new maps, weapons and especially game modes like Rainmaker.

Happened to me too, wanted to jump over a gap and just straight into water.

I dont understand the complaining...if Nintendo continued what they did with Ranked (filling a tank until releasing the mode) nobody would be pissed because of locked content...
People underestimate this game. Its not your Halo or Call of Duty game...of course you can randomly jump in and just play but you will get shitted on quickly...it takes some time to get to know the maps and the weapons and there is a learning curve not known in other "shooters" this age...

But people will complain nonetheless so its not worth any deep discussion if you ask me, if you enjoy the game then play it.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe there were still people who thought the game was rushed to market and released 'unfinished', ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

Nintendo is intentionally holding back content to generate excitement over the long haul, and yes, I'm okay with that. Especially considering how often Nintendo has been releasing new maps and weapons. You can see the excitement on miiverse whenever something new is released.

As for the upcoming weapons, there are some interesting ones to be sure. I sort of feel inkbrush with bubbler would be ridiculously OP. It's already nearly impossible to hit
skilled
users due to their speed, the bubbler will just make it worse.

And is the Sploosh-o-matic just a Spattershot Jr with a wider spread?

Top Bottom