• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has nothing to do with the demo. We heard of this game less than a year ago. I am not sure how long it has been in dev but I just want it to be as feature rich as a Halo or COD. This game has so much potential, I would hate for it to not be fully realized because of pushing it to market too fast because of lack of games on Wii U.

Don't get me wrong I loved what I saw so far from the screenshots and e3 demo and I hope it rocks everyones socks off.

this is not a triple A title for Nintendo this was one of those experiments of Miyamoto taking the youngest guys around and allowing them to go wild on their own little project

now he has been going around like a proud daddy wearing a Splatoon shirt telling people these kids have put so much content in this game he has to tell them not to overdo it

the budget was never going to match up with Halo or COD
It could be a very short single play with the focus of 4-4 multi

DizzyCrow

Has nothing to do with the demo. We heard of this game less than a year ago. I am not sure how long it has been in dev but I just want it to be as feature rich as a Halo or COD. This game has so much potential, I would hate for it to not be fully realized because of pushing it to market too fast because of lack of games on Wii U.

Don't get me wrong I loved what I saw so far from the screenshots and e3 demo and I hope it rocks everyones socks off.
In Nintendo games time of reveal has nothing to do with the dev time, SM3SW had less than 6 months between reveal and launch.

L~A

10 pages article + interview for Splatoon in this week's Famitsu.

B86Ika6CYAAee8l.jpg:orig
B86IkWnCEAE7u4U.jpg:orig

10 pages article + interview for Splatoon in this week's Famitsu.

According to the article text, we're getting information on rules and customization in addition an interview from three staff members who appear to be producer Nogami and directors Sakaguchi and Amano from the picture. There's also going to be some four panel comics based on the game, too.

L~A

Lol @ Tempura store clerk, ha ha. Nice touch!

ここはスニーカーからブーツまで、クツのことならなんでもござれの品揃えが自慢の、クツ屋「エビスシューズ」。
カラッと揚がった……ではなく、カラッと陽気な店長の人柄で人気の店だ。
欲しいアイテムはなくならないうちにゲットしたい。

彼は「エビスシューズ」の店長、クルマエビの「ロブ」。
無類のクツ好きで、脚が多いのをいいことに、お気に入りのクツを何足も身に着けている。
いつもサクサクの衣をまとっているが、ファッションであって、決して調理済みなわけではないらしい。

Translations of the new Tweets:

This is "Shrimp Shoes", where you can find every kind of shoe from sneakers to boots.
The store is popular because of its crispily fried...no, I mean carelessly friendly store owner.
You gotta grab your favourite items before they disappear.

This is Shrimp Shoes' owner Rob, a Japanese tiger prawn.
An unparallelled in his love of footwear, he is lucky that he is able to wear many of his favorite shoes at the same time do to his many legs.
He's always wearing his crispy jacket and it is a garment; he's not been cooked.

thefro

People thought the same for Xenoblade Chronicles X last week, and look at all the info we got :)

Agreed. I can't see them getting a 10-page Famitsu spread and just rehashing old info from Nintendo Directs. There will be some new information for sure.

any chance this IP could become an anime / manga series?

I am guessing no humans makes that less of a chance, would love a Squid Girl crossover lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
A Squid Girl crossover would be great. Heck, make a small commercial featuring Squid Girl playing the game & commenting on it. Sure, it'd be Japan only, but it'd just be so fitting.

Even better, I'd LOVE to be able to have some equipment like a hat, wristband, shoes, etc. be based on Squid Girl or other characters from the series.

A Squid Girl crossover would be great. Heck, make a small commercial featuring Squid Girl playing the game & commenting on it. Sure, it'd be Japan only, but it'd just be so fitting.

I wouldn't mind a crossover like that. The creator of squid girl already made fanart too. Check the Splatoon fanart thread for that.

Even better, I'd LOVE to be able to have some equipment like a hat, wristband, shoes, etc. be based on Squid Girl or other characters from the series.

Of course. Pixiv fanart of that has already been made. They obviously kept the spats though.
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=44297058

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, the fact the mangaka of Squid Girl made fanart not long after the game's announcement makes me hopeful NoJ will work out some kind of cross-promotion. No surprise others made fan art as well.

Javier

Yeah, the fact the mangaka of Squid Girl made fanart not long after the game's announcement makes me hopeful NoJ will work out some kind of cross-promotion. No surprise others made fan art as well.
If the Inkling gets confirmed as a Smash Bros DLC character, they should get him to do the artwork for Inkling's page at smashbros.com

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
New tweet:

広場にはイカに混じってクラゲたちが闊歩している。イカに次いで個体数の多い種族のようだが、普通のクラゲはイカの言葉を話すことができない。
では、なぜエチゼンだけが話すことができるのか?努力して覚えたのか?意外と頑張り屋さんだな…。

B8_JAmBIcAAA8ut.jpg:orig

Ah, these are the Jellyfishes witch walk around the plaza, right? I remember that gamexplain thought they give you some tips. Well, we have to wait for Streetsahead .. :3

And the US Tumblr-Account still hasn't translated the pictures from last week .. guess they won't do it.

Translation:
In the main plaza there are some jellyfish strutting about amongst the Inklings. THey appear to be the most common species after the Inklings, but normal jellyfish can't speak the Inkling language.
So why can Jelfonzo speak it? Did he study hard and learn it? He's an unexpectedly hard worker....

Also, some notes from sinobi about the Splatoon Famitsu article (I'm only covering new points):

-Team made up of lots of staff that worked on Wii U launch titles. Once they'd grasped the hardware, they wanted to create something innovative.
-Working on a local multiplayer mode in addition to online and Hero Mode
-Hero mode is predominantly a 3D platformer with heavy emphasis on human-squid transformations
-Random matching is done world wide, game tries to place you with players close to your skill level based on ratings
-Tried implementing a system whereby you could give orders to your team mates, but battles were too quick and hectic for them to be effective so they got rid of the feature
-Game won't use CPU fighters; only once 8 human players have been found will a match start
-Having multiple modes with random matching would limit the number of players per mode, so all the focus is on the 4 vs. 4 for that
-No communication with players you are matched with
-They didn't think of using Bloopers when they decided on squids (they apparently forgot they existed)
-No money can be earned in Hero Mode. Your points, as displayed at the end of the match, are turned into money and experience points.
-A lot of the music is written by Tooru Minegishi (who has worked on Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Super Mario)

Soul Lab

so there is only one mp mode?
and no communication?
bad news....

I hope I can team up with a friend and join the random queue at least (it's not possible in smash -.- )

Metal B

-Tried implementing a system whereby you could give orders to your team mates, but battles were too quick and hectic for them to be effective so they got rid of the feature
-No communication with players you are matched with
This can really hurt the Online-Multiplayer-Mode of the game. If they at least could implant their first idea in a way to communicate with others players, this wouldn't be as bad. Right now you can't really interact with your team, which hurts a game about playing as a team ...

Mh, sounds sometimes good, and bad. I guess this game is just a "basically" Online-Game. I bet if sales will be good, we will see a sequel with lots more. :)

I don't even expect these clueless morons to allow for party play. Why do these clowns feel the need to sabotage their own games? Fucking voice chat in a freaking shooter. Are you kidding me?

Zero²

Hardly a surprise tho, specially considering the company's focus on all ages and the problems that having a voice chat could create, like swapnote but with voice.

NotLiquid

The quote in regards to the 4 v 4 mode feels relatively vague, it doesn't seem explicit in how there are additional modes or not.

I didn't expect voice chat to happen but it is pretty stupid of Nintendo to forego it. Though considering the target audience it is only partially understandable.

thefro

The quote in regards to the 4 v 4 mode feels relatively vague, it doesn't seem explicit in how there are additional modes or not.

I didn't expect voice chat to happen but it is pretty stupid of Nintendo to forego it.

It also doesn't explicitly say there's no voice chat, just no communication with people you are matched with randomly worldwide in the 4x4 mode. And that kinda makes sense since voice chat between someone from Japan, US, and France all on a team wouldn't work.

If you can't communicate with friends then people can feel free to get totally pissed off about this (and I'll join you).

No voicechat? Hype instantaniously deflated.

It also doesn't explicitly say there's no voice chat, just no communication with people you are matched with randomly worldwide in the 4x4 mode. And that kinda makes sense since voice chat between someone from Japan, US, and France all on a team wouldn't work.
I've been thinking this too, but don't forget that we are talking about Nintendo here. It would shock me if there was any form of in-match voicechat at all.

Also, that would have been a good oppurtunity to dust of a few of my languages, lol.

Why would you use Voice-Chat? You have to ink the ground. There is no need for a Voice Chat. And in Call of Duty for Example, I always shut it down since it is just annoying when random People scream into their mic. You have surely all already played without Voice chat and had fun.

NotLiquid

Considering Mario Kart and Smash Bros have had limited voice chat, it'd be surprising if friendlies don't have at least that much.

Soul Lab

Why would you use Voice-Chat? You have to ink the ground. There is no need for a Voice Chat. And in Call of Duty for Example, I always shut it down since it is just annoying when random People scream into their mic. You have surely all already played without Voice chat and had fun.

All I care is to communicate with dudes on my WiiU friendlist.
And I hope creating a party is a thing in this game. Mario Kart 8 and Smash WiiU are recent examples why my hope is low. Well, in MK8 you have the possibility to join a friends game, which is ok. But in Smash there is no such option. Play with friends only or alone vs. randoms. This sucks imo

Jintor

TF2 with voice chat is some of the most chill co-op experiences i've ever had. I can see why Ninty would go against it, but I hope that's not the be all and end all.

Metal B

I mean you can't even drop beacons and be like "OVER HERE" or map ping apparently. Wat?
On second thought and having the gameplay in mind, there is actually no need for a beacon or "come here" signal. There is already a clear "beacon" aka goal visible: The paint on the stage and on the map. If you see a free area or a colored area of your opponent, then you should properly go there. If you notice a place losing your color, you should properly check it out and defend it You also can see, if your teammates are on the way to the area, so you can plan in helping them. All the game needs, is a "Assist me" / "Help me" / "Follow me"-Button and there is no need for more in-game communication in regard of the gameplay.

I still hope there is post-game communication in a lobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom