• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Esports Tournament Series Launched In Japan - Over $1 million

Peltz

How will this be set up without LAN? Will people also need to bring their own Wii U systems to get their own load outs?

Qassim

lmao already better than CSGO

fuck you valve?

$1m over 40 events (and not just for splatoon). CSGO has already had more than $2.8m this year alone, and the year isn't over, with most of that being sourced not by the developer, but by other organisers (i.e. it's not just marketing done by a developer).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How will this be set up without LAN? Will people also need to bring their own Wii U systems to get their own load outs?

CMw6w8FVAAAoyHB.jpg:orig

CMw6xHkUAAAtH3m.jpg:orig

But the problem with those is that it's a demo, every squid is just 'player 1, 'player 2' etc. And they only have access to the basic weapons. To be real comp, you would expect players to use their own loadouts and weapon of choice. That's something I'm wondering if they can pull off.

Hope they have a couple people dressed as Callie & Marie walking around on top of the trucks for the finals.

SVMTGus.gif

They better do the splatfest choreo endlessly on repeat.

Regiruler

But the problem with those is that it's a demo, every squid is just 'player 1, 'player 2' etc. And they only have access to the basic weapons. To be real comp, you would expect players to use their own loadouts and weapon of choice. That's something I'm wondering if they can pull off.
All weapons but the clothes are set.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I guess they will prepare a special version of the game, with all the weapon unlocked and available. The gear is the same for everybody.

Cleve

Is there any breakdown of prize pools yet?

Despite the larger nintendo logo I can't help but feel there's more on the line for p&d.

Rymuth

Took you a while before you realized how big of a thing esports are, Nintendo!

Looking forward to look back on this in five year's time.

trixx

Whaaaat we e-sports now. This is going to be fun to watch.

At this point more people in Japan is playing splatoon than smash wii u. Splatoon is about to outsell smash wii u in Japan

Yes, Splatoon is thriving in Japan. One simply needs to play an online match to see that.

The question is whether they'd bring any of this Stateside, where the game is seemingly faltering (hence the new Testfire and "Judd misses you!" emails).
Would be nice to see on something besides NicoNico lol

thefro

Yes, Splatoon is thriving in Japan. One simply needs to play an online match to see that.

The question is whether they'd bring any of this Stateside, where the game is seemingly faltering (hence the new Testfire and "Judd misses you!" emails).
Would be nice to see on something besides NicoNico lol

I wouldn't say the game's faltering. It's still steadily selling, just not going crazy like in Japan. I do expect to do well over the Holidays.

phanphare

Banned
I wouldn't say the game's faltering. It's still steadily selling, just not going crazy like in Japan. I do expect it do well over the Holidays.

yeah pretty much, it's just not the phenomenon that it is in Japan

it still sold ~80k in it's third month on the market which is pretty solid for a Wii U game

people always tend to think that if something isn't in the top 10 that it isn't doing well

Revven

Er, the latest update allows you to essentially do LAN but it's not really. You just need to hook up one of the Wii Us to an internet connection and then connect all the Wii Us to that Wii U (or something to that effect), if I remember correctly. At least, it was explained all you need to do local play with multiple Wii Us is you only need one Wii U connected to the internet.

This way you're only dealing with one internet connection instead of multiple draining from the same internet.

JCX

Interesting how Turf War has become the de facto competitive mode even though it isn't a ranked mode in the game.

crash-14

Pretty shame that Nintendo didn't provide the tools to make Splatoon an eSport since the beginning. But not a surprise at all watching "the support" they're giving Smash...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm probably over assuming. But Nintendo never has nor do I think ever will give this type of support to Smash. Even things like patch notes have been given to Splatoon.

I don't think they'll be mad at Splatoon players just frustrated at Nintendo.

Well when Nintendo has a Mario Party tournament they can get mad. Comparing Smash with Splatoon isn't really comparing like with like.

KingBroly

Banned
Pretty shame that Nintendo didn't provide the tools to make Splatoon an eSport since the beginning. But not a surprise at all watching "the support" they're giving Smash...

Well...they didn't make either for eSports. It's just that Splatoon is more suited for it and has done A LOT better than expected, especially given that the game was basically made in a little over a year.

You're a squid now, you're a schoolgirl now. Doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

I thought prize money for tournaments were forbidden in Japan, change of policy ?
It might be like how Pokemon prize money is paid out. Educational scholarships.

I'd like to see how well they do with rollers without lag favouring them.
There are a few Japanese twitch streamers who usually end up in all Japanese games (which funilly enough don't have any latency issues due to them all living within a few hundred km of each other and having outstanding connections). Also if most players are Japanese the only latency advantage they get is against non-Japanese players which is to say if you want a latency advantage you should be that laggy roller instead. Whats that you get sniped without the scope on you? Yep latency goes both ways.

massoluk

Banned
Interesting how Turf War has become the de facto competitive mode even though it isn't a ranked mode in the game.

It should be. If they are going to use those ranked modes, what's the point? Turf War is what's unique about Splatoon, allow for more strategy than simple a) rush the Splat Zone, b) rush the Tower, c) guard the Rainmaker.

Totakeke

It should be. If they are going to use those ranked modes, what's the point? Turf War is what's unique about Splatoon, allow for more strategy than simple a) rush the Splat Zone, b) rush the Tower, c) guard the Rainmaker.

That's significantly downplaying the movement mechanic in Splatoon. You have to ink turf to move around even if that's not the immediate goal of winning the game. All modes have different strategies associated around with just movement. No one can easily go where there's no ink of their color. Saying only turf war is unique is an extremely myopic view of Splatoon's mechanics.

One benefit of using the ranked modes instead of turf war is that it's far easier to spectate the ranked modes because most of the action is usually concentrated at one area. It's pretty difficult to show how a turf war match is progressing because you'd have to understand what's happening across the whole map.

Bulzeeb

Smash players are going to be fucking SALTY

most smash players refuse to leave Melee, if Nintendo said something about a Smash U tournament I am sure the first responses will be something along the lines of "this sucks, bring melee".

Top Bottom