• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon is the highest selling Wii U game on eShop of All-Time in Japan

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/software/ranking.html

This is one of the pages on Nintendo's official japanese website, dedicated to Wii U eShop charts. The top one is, indeed, the one based merely on sales. When you visit the page the first time, you're usually redirected to the Current chart, but there are two options on the right corner: the other shows the All-Time chart and, well...as you can see, Splatoon is now the highest selling title ever on the eShop, even surpassing the former king, DQX, which held the title for a looong time.

Unfortunately, we have no concrete informations about DQX's actual sales on eShop, just that surely they're higher than around 57,000 units, which is where Splatoon was a week ago, by comparing official Nintendo numbers and MC retail sales (Nintendo usually uses Media Create in their investor meetings, that's the reason of the comparison). Still, this is a great result indeed.

Turn me into a kid if old.

Not trying to be mean, but the title makes this sound more important than it actually is.

The regognition by the console followers that the game is solid fun, sents the right message to Nintendo. Were talking about a new IP here, in that sense it can be really important.

Acerac

Banned
Awesome. Great game, totally deserved.

It's now my go to suggestion for what people should check out on the Wii U. It's nice to be able to offer a pick that doesn't involve Mario that anyone can get in to.

Rymuth

Splaaaaaaaa-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta--wataaaaah~!!

お前はもう最高です~

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Good news. That means no splatoon sequel for the next few decades i guess.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not trying to be mean, but the title makes this sound more important than it actually is.
A compelete new IP beating Smash, Mario Kart and Co. in less than 2 months is quote impressive.

Can't really downplay that achievement.

Jigorath

Banned
Probably because there were sellouts in Japan for the first couple of weeks which prompted more WiiU owners than usual to go digital.

KingBroly

Banned
The biggest surprise for me is how well it's sold in Japan. I didn't expect Japan to pick it up at all, especially since it's on Wii U.

beril

Nice to see it finally make it to the top. It shot up to #2 almost instantly but it took some time beat Dragon Quest X. I wonder if that means the cap between #1 or #2 was really big or if digital sales slowed down considerably. I guess the shortages for the physical release helped the eShop sales quite a lot in the start

CANLI

I'm wondering if the first games on the top sold more than 100k while all the top 20 games for the japanese 3ds sold more than that number.

sörine

Banned
Sin't DQX do 2/3's of it's overall sales on the eShop due to the upgrade promotion? Both it and Splatoon may be over 100k?

noshten

Small install size, big update coming out - hence buying it digital. Seems a lot of Japanese players made the same decision although I think it's probably also due to the stock selling out in the first week.

Probably has a chance to end up highest selling game for a console for 2015 at this rate - what could outsell it this year?

Glass Rebel

Fantastic. I hope the success of Splatoon makes Nintendo consider putting their weight more behind projects like this.

Small install size, big update coming out - hence buying it digital. Seems a lot of Japanese players made the same decision although I think it's probably also due to the stock selling out in the first week.

Probably has a chance to end up highest selling game for a console for 2015 at this rate - what could outsell it this year?

Metal Gear Solid V, I'd wager.

NotLiquid

The success of this game has made me more happy about the state of video games than much of anything within the recent half decade.

Star Wars. COD probably. MGS, Fifa, there's a lot.

Edit: oh in Japan? Nvm I'm dumb.

The success of this game has made me more happy about the state of video games than much of anything within the recent half decade.

Oh come on. Its Nintendo's first outing in a genre that has been around for a long time and, on top of that, runs on a poor online infrastructure.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The advertising was anemic in Australia. Shops didn't even put out the Splatoon Wii U bundle until several days after the game came out. Probably explains why it only sold 20,000 in Australia and New Zealand, while selling gangbusters everywhere else.

The childrens' TV bloc was and still is blanketed with Splatoon ads; I've seen more Splatoon commercials than I have for any Nintendo game in years.

Madao

the road to sit alongside Nintendo's top IPs is long but looks reachable for this game.

Under shipping works.

it has sold 350k so far. i don't think it was undershipped considering that only NSMBU, SM3DW, SSB4 and MK8 have sold more without bundles.

Top Bottom