• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon: Motion controls on or off?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
What's everyone's preference so far?

I prefer the motion controls off, but the sensitivity of the analog stick with them off is just ridiculously high and jittery. I'm seriously having trouble aiming, which is a damn shame. Motion controls on feel too weird and difficult to get used to, though. Ugh.

Shocked that there's no Pro controller support online.

Caayn

Off. I can't get used to aim vertically with motion and horizontally with the joystick at the same time.

I probably need to spend more time motion control but for now I definitely prefer off.

Shun

jaiyro_icon.jpg

Always.

Richie

Off when roller, on with everything else.

Then again I always sucked at shooters, and I have less than the hour of playtime with anything that's not the roller :p But they seriously felt good! It's just that I love the roller so!

Crayolan

Whatever your preference is. I leave them on because aiming is quicker and more precise.

If it's too jittery for you lower your sensitivity?

mrlion

Off.

Motion controls just doesn't feel natural not sure why Nintendo keeps pushing it especially with the gamepad.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Off. Tried playing with them on for a while, but after 5+ hours of multiplayer on sticks only, I'm never going back to the gyroscope.

On. I didn't think that I would like the motion controls, but after testing stick movement for one match I immediately went back to them.

Takes a little getting used to but what control scheme doesn't when you've been introduced to it for the first time?

matm666

What's everyone's preference so far?

I prefer the motion controls off, but the sensitivity of the analog stick with them off is just ridiculously high and jittery. I'm seriously having trouble aiming, which is a damn shame. Motion controls on feel too weird and difficult to get used to, though. Ugh.

Shocked that there's no Pro controller support online.
Dont have the game yet but on the testfire I prefer off I adjusted the sensitivity and inverted the Y axis and that worked for me.

Randomizer

On as the motion controls are more accurate, faster and more precise. Wiimote pointer controllers would be a better option. Although if they did implement them you'd probably need to buy an Amiibo for the content :p.

On. Aiming horizontally with the joy stick and vertically with motion controls works wonders. Using the joy stick for broad movements and motion controls for aiming at enemies is far more precise than a joystick.

I play shooters with dual stick controls daily, when the Testfire came around it felt natural for me to turn off motion controls, especially under the hour time constraint. I really didn't want to bother with learning a new scheme.

Now that the game is out, I decides to give motion controls a try. I had a lot more time to take it slow and really get the demo for it. After a match or two, It felt really natural! I was pleasantly surprised.

So, from now on the motion controls are staying on!

Converse

Banned
With motion controls on, I feel like a squid. With motion controls off, I feel like a kid.

On. Aiming horizontally with the joy stick and vertically with motion controls works wonders. Using the joy stick for broad movements and motion controls for aiming at enemies is far more precise than a joystick.

Yep, this is the ticket. Feels great to me.

rawktapus

I find motion controls really helpful with the charger. Twin sticks are awkward to snipe with for me, but with motion controls, it's so natural, I forget I'm even using them. Its great for that little nudge.

hatchx

Banned
On for sure.

For the first two testfire's, I was fully sold on going motion controls off because I was so used to a dual analog setup. Once motion controls click, I could never, never go back.

I can spray ink way faster and get way more coverage than ever before.

Layell

I can never go back to dual analog sticks for FPS after mouse and motion control. I hope those who play it off enjoy losing repeatedly.

guek

Banned
Off. I keep forgetting I can't use the y-axis and it screws me up. I tried the motion controls for about an hour before switching them off. I think I could get used to it eventually but I'm too lazy so I'll go with the easier option.

jediyoshi

Makes sense for charger. Not crucial for anything else, leave it off just to lay back.

Off.

Motion controls just doesn't feel natural not sure why Nintendo keeps pushing it especially with the gamepad.

Not with that attitude. If someone who picked up a dual analog gamepad during the transition told you it was natural, they were lying to you.

Effect

On. They feel good now. Took a match or two during the test sessions to get used to them. Pretty responsive. Have had matches where I know I couldn't aim as quickly I did if I was just using the right stick to aim.

Foshy

Tried both options extensively and ended up with leaving motion controls on. I wish I could still aim vertically with the analog stick that way though, not sure why they completely disabled it and didn't give us an option.

hatchx

Banned
Tried both options extensively and ended up with leaving motion controls on. I wish I could still aim vertically with the analog stick that way though, not sure why they completely disabled it and didn't give us an option.

This was my main complaint, but I think it keeps the gyro from going out of whack. With how rapidly I'm aiming around, I think it's helped to know my Y-Axis will be a consistent angle of the gamepad.

I bet they tested it and it didn't work out.

Honestly when I play it with gyro I don't even consider it a TPS or a dual-analog game, it's like its own thing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
On, gyro implementation just feels right. You can tell Nintendo has mastered this technology.

Using it in Wind Waker in static scenes was one thing. Building such a hectic arcade experience around it... is a way bolder new benchmark.

From my time with the Global Testfire, on, but with the sensitivity dialled down. I can't aim with sticks and never got accustomed to the dual-stick controls that dominate shooters these days (which is why I play genres like FPS with a keyboard and mouse where possible). I'll put in some more time in the finished game and see if this preference sticks.

Though this sounds like the place to ask: has anyone with their hands on the final build noted if off-TV play is available in single player? (I know it's not there for multiplayer, but as someone who plays mostly off-TV, I had my hopes up for partial off-TV support.) If so, as much as I was fond of the gyro-assisted aiming in 3DS games like Ocarina and Majora's Mask 3D, I doubt they would make as much sense for the frantic pace of Splatoon. At some point I might have to learn how to control it sticks-only for the local 1v1 mode anyway.

Off. I've tried gyro controls so many times over the years, and never found them comfortable, or more accurate.

So far, I've been kicking seven shades out of everyone with twin stick controls in Splatoon, almost always winning fights even when outnumbered, and generally having the highest kill count by a wide margin at the end of any matches.

I'm not seeing the supposed 'superiority' of gyro aiming basically.

Honestly, considering shooters are far more prevalent and vastly more popular on non Nintendo consoles, which are the only systems to keep trying to force gyro controls as a method of aiming, I'm of the opinion it's just another Nintendo diehard, delusionally supporting everything Nintendo does, kind of thing that some keep on insisting they're better.

Gyro aiming has been a around for about a decade. If it were a genuine improvement, it'd be the default for every shooter by this point.

Gnilres

Off.

Even though gyro seems more accurate, it feels less...fun for some reason.

Plus I flail the gamepad like a crazy person when I'm SHOOTING A ROLLER IN THE FACE AND HE STILL MANAGES TO SPLAT ME

tesqui

I would compare motion controls in Splatoon to the precision you would get with a mouse in a FPS. I'm not saying it's nearly as accurate as a mouse, but it's more precise than a joystick.

Kojaq

After playing the beta, off is what I am going to do. I hate I have to wait an extra day compared to the rest of the world, apparently Australians would take the day off cause of Splatoon...

GWX

On, dat gyro fine tuning. Never had a better time with the controls in a console shooter (except for Wii Remote and Nunchuk).

If I could flip both horizontal AND vertical gyro controls, I'd use them. But as they currently stand, my brain just can't handle tiling 'left to go right' and 'up to go up'. Left should be left and up should be down.

After getting used to them 10 minutes into the first Global Testfire my choice is obviously On.

They are great and it's a great thing they are actually only used for vertical movement, rather than vertical and horizontal movement. That way they don't go in the way of aiming.
It's like you had a third analogue stick to make things even more precise.

On. The motion controls feel fantastic. The majority of the weapons in Splatoon don't seem to be about pinpoint accuracy - there's a certain amount of "spray" to them. Because of this, having the ability to wiggle around a bit really quickly and effortlessly is super useful.

hatchx

Banned
Honestly, considering shooters are far more prevalent and vastly more popular on non Nintendo consoles, which are the only systems to keep trying to force gyro controls as a method of aiming, I'm of the opinion it's just another Nintendo diehard, delusionally supporting everything Nintendo does, kind of thing that some keep on insisting they're better.

It's not just about accuracy, but if I want to spray paint all around an area, the best way to do it is with the gamepad. I just can't aim with dual analog was wildly and in-control as gyro.

It may not have a profound effect when squaring off against someone on the other team, but gyro definitely helps to paint a large area faster. Maybe not with the roller.

Off. I've tried gyro controls so many times over the years, and never found them comfortable, or more accurate.

So far, I've been kicking seven shades out of everyone with twin stick controls in Splatoon, almost always winning fights even when outnumbered, and generally having the highest kill count by a wide margin at the end of any matches.

I'm not seeing the supposed 'superiority' of gyro aiming basically.

Gyro aiming has been a around for about a decade. If it were a genuine improvement, it'd be the default for every shooter by this point.

Oh please. I have no problem with analog controls but gyro aiming is awesome for certain games. It has nothing to do with being a fanboy.

Top Bottom