• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Nico_D

What I've noted is that there is quite a few people who do not understand how to play the damn mode (like they don't try to jump over the tower or be around it to give support).
Sometime it is very frustrating with randoms.

You're not the only one who has noticed that. Common occurrance.

ryechu

Touché.

Sure it can sound good, like Radiohead, but are we going to sell records?

Meaning, are we going to win?

I played some squad matches with another roller on my team and it just wasn't working out. It takes the Roller out of his groove, IMO.

The best team is one roller/brush (preferably roller), two assault and one surgical charger.

Me, you, Triforce and Robotguy were 6-0 against some clans/squads that had strategies ready to go. They already had their clan tags ready to go. But we had our classes, map knowledge and skill to counter. We were playing against A+, S teams and we still won.

I dont like 2 eliters on teh same team.

RedFyn

I played like 15 ranked matches today, a mix of both ranked modes and I got to use the inkzooka maybe twice. I've also lost my confidence since I rarely get to pop it, I feel like I have to make it count when I finally get a chance to use it and that makes me nervous so I choked.

Yeah I can drop swim speed for special charge up, but then I won't be first in the rush to mid which is crucial considering I use a medium range weapon. Yes I can stand somewhere safe and ink but then the other team can 4v3 the middle area and then I'm standing there like an idiot, I have to aid my team by taking duels that's non negotiable. Essentially the tentatek has no special.

I'm at S and get 1-3 points for winning usually, and loose 5 upon loss. It's insane. I won 3 matches in a row and that netted me 5 points, lost them in the following match. They did say they wanted it to make it harder to remain at S rank. You need ridiculous RNG to get all the way up to S+ 99.

I'd love to hear your experience with the tentatek against S players, in the regular matchmaking mode not premade teams. Maybe you can share a few gameplay tips that enables me to be effective as a teammate while also increasing the frequency of inkzookas.

I feel like you're relying way to much on the inkzooka. You should pick another weapon if that's the only reason you're using it. When I play in ranked I usually treat the special as a bonus, not something I rely on but a nice extra little help. There are times where I rely completely on my special but for the most part it's my weapon and sub that I depend on to win.

69wpm

Ranked is starting to piss me off big time. Not only is the matchmaking annoying, lag is getting unbearable. I hit Japanese players 3 times in the face with the freaking bucket and they don't die. Another time I run behind a roller user, he jumps up and kills me although I shot 5 times with the n-zap in the back. Don't get me even started on the hit box nonsense with snipers. You cannot evade them because the hit still kills you.

Give us regional matches, Nintendo!

Nico_D

Ranked is starting to piss me off big time.

My already bad aim is even more off in Ranked. Because of that our Squad Battle was so welcomed. Although I think the match we lost on Underpass was somewhat affected by lag too. Or I just played a lousy round. Which tends to happen.

Celine

Ranked is starting to piss me off big time. Not only is the matchmaking annoying, lag is getting unbearable. I hit Japanese players 3 times in the face with the freaking bucket and they don't die. Another time I run behind a roller user, he jumps up and kills me although I shot 5 times with the n-zap in the back. Don't get me even started on the hit box nonsense with snipers. You cannot evade them because the hit still kills you.
Yeah, I share your pain.

69wpm

My already bad aim is even more off in Ranked. Because of that our Squad Battle was so welcomed. Although I think the match we lost on Underpass was somewhat affected by lag too. Or I just played a lousy round. Which tends to happen.

Squad Battle at least eliminates the nonsense other players do in Ranked. I cannot count the times I had to ride to tower alone, fending off enemies while the others where running around doing basically nothing. Still, the high ping gets in the way too often.

I'd rather wait 30 seconds to find players from Europe, even America, than have to deal with this nonsense. The game has sold enough by now to enable this option.

?oe?oe

9YmHLiG.jpg

Mmm yeah.

Hackworth

Okay so the bucket is amazing, but the Splatling still confuses me so I'm not using it.
Taking a two week break for university purposes was worth, but I'm still not as good as I was.

Salt below!

I know I shouldn't take games so seriously but losing six games in a row while having the highest score on the team (or rarely, on both teams) is soul destroying.
I've not seen the On Fire tag since the last Splatfest.

Seriously how is it possible to only get 200p on Kelp Dome, and why is this miraculous player always matched to my team?

Useless facts. The Splatoon site scrapres profile info for the green icon upon fir connecting via v2.0.0. I since changed my equips but only the old ones show up. I guess it would update upon finishing a match.

Weapon stats (blue icon) also only appear once you've completed a match it would seem (I just have the message about playing on v2.0.0.) so I'm out of luck there (I know I can read them all in-game).

Like everything in Splatoon (besides private matches) you get what you want for a small window of time. Like the Splatfest is the regional matchmaking and 3 map rotation.
There will still be lag and turf war only, N-Zapper 89

Also,laggy matches>unstable matches
Maybe try deleting the patch and reinstalling it? If that doesn't work... do you have a friend that you could try taking the Wii U to and see if the problem is how the Wii U deals with your connection at home? The rest of us are able to play and using the same software that you are, so it might be helpful to see what factors can be isolated.
I'm not doing anything until the Splatfest now (Team South, I'm taking you down
I'm on Team South
) as that removes Japanese and American players, retains Australians though. I might also try to use a neighbors wi-fi (though due to distance it is one bar so a poor signal which might be just as bad) though to be frank the it's your connection answer is not a solution and is just going to be fucking ping pong with the ISP saying "its just one game so talk to the devs" and Nintendo UK being "have you tried turning it off and on again and talking to your ISP".

Violet_0

Banned
Glad I'm not the only one that happens to. Like, I didn't play for a week and now I'm ruined forever.

nah, I didn't play for a week and a half and it took me some time to get used to the controls again and at the end of the day I was doing quite well again, probably better than ever in a couple matches I've played (I played a lot, yesterday)
I always do best when I keep in mind that I should use the E-Liter like a Squiffer - it's really fun to jump around the map, relying on half-charged shots with damage up and generally staying mobile
Man, why couldn't I have just won my first ranked match today to get the one point I needed to move up to S.

went 4/2 on Underpass TC in my A+99 -> S rank match while getting carried by a 12/2 Japanese player, get on my level Robot

Zing

Banned

People have been asking for this, but splatfest has shown that it makes little difference. If you are consistently having this sort of experience, it is your connection. I have been playing since day zero and am approaching 150 hours online. I have noticed what you describe in less than ten matches, ever.

69wpm

Yeah, maybe. Maybe not. Still, I'd prefer a regional setting just to reduce the pings.

Just look at the pings I have to different destinations (via cloudping.info):

US-East (Virginia) 145 ms
US-West (California) 202 ms
US-West (Oregon) 217 ms
Europe (Ireland) 54 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 45 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 302 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 384 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 327 ms
South America (Brazil) 247 ms

Playing with people from Europe would reduce the pings by a lot. Of course most people are on a wireless connection, but their pings would probably be still under 100 ms.

correojon

Yeah, maybe. Maybe not. Still, I'd prefer a regional setting just to reduce the pings.

Just look at the pings I have to different destinations (via cloudping.info):

US-East (Virginia) 145 ms
US-West (California) 202 ms
US-West (Oregon) 217 ms
Europe (Ireland) 54 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 45 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 302 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 384 ms
Asia Pacific (Japan) 327 ms
South America (Brazil) 247 ms

Playing with people from Europe would reduce the pings by a lot. Of course most people are on a wireless connection, but their pings would probably be still under 100 ms.
However during Splatfests I get many more connection weird behaviours than in ranked...Also, Ranked seems to work better than Turf War for me. Usually I get a couple of connection error the fist time I switch to Turf War after having played Ranked with no problems for a while (the errors usually happen before I even start the match). After that, Turf Wars works good too.

ryechu

Haha they're playing turf wars as a squad and the guy they're showing playing started booyahing at 5 seconds left on the timer and let the enemy take over the zone. Pretty sure he wasn't one of the devs though, just the host of the show

hes one of the codirectors

Bittersweet day. Glad to have another splatfest and snails but sad that I won't be able to play with GAF tonight due to the splatfest.

So they're doing a Splatoon Koshien in JP.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/629649875647369216

Splatoon(スプラトゥーン) ‏@SplatoonJP 4m4 minutes ago
そして、番組内でスプラトゥーンの全国大会「Splatoon甲子園」の開催が決定した。
甲子園と言っても年齢制限はないので、腕に自信のある方は4人1組でチームを組んで是非挑戦してほしい。
詳しくは8月19日に発表されるようだ。

CLz3OYIUcAADcow.png

NotLiquid

Just had a quick game with a pal who really wanted to see whether Splatfest Tees display or are region locked.

Turns out he was unable to show off his Hot Dog shirt to the world.

StAidan

Final head count, who voted hot dogs or marshmallows for tonight? Team hotdog here

I chose Marshmallow, and I'm already dreading having to carry my 6-year-old teammates. With the new 4x win rate multiplier, I also have zero hope of getting all 24 sea snails, lol.

Geg

I chose Marshmallow, and I'm already dreading having to carry my 6-year-old teammates. With the new 4x win rate multiplier, I also have zero hope of getting all 24 sea snails, lol.

Yeah I get the feeling my win streak is gonna be a lot lower than it was in the last two. It'll probably take a while to get settled with a good team

Yes. I'm not the greatest player but the Japanese snipers hitting me 2 second after in behind a wall are not fun to play against.

Top Bottom