• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ss-hikaru

Anyone a fan of the mini splatling? I'm a big fan of the heavy splatling but find the mini doesn't have the range to be worth the wind up time required...

ChrisD

Anyone a fan of the mini splatling? I'm a big fan of the heavy splatling but find the mini doesn't have the range to be worth the wind up time required...

Not a fan at all. Would rather Tentatek.
Like you said, Splatling is all about the range. That's why it's still fun even with the charge-up. Take it away and.... eh.

J@hranimo

Banned
11057450_1509200436040231_5449389500150005275_n.jpg

12065897_1509200439373564_6068666982343659321_n.jpg

12189183_1509200449373563_1585861921619943806_n.jpg

11214100_1509200442706897_2175003460808151926_n.jpg

Heavy Splatling Deco is coming tonight!

J@hranimo

Banned
I wonder how bad the kraken nerf would be for the Heavy Splat Deco. They increased the time it takes from ending kraken to shooting in squid form, and since you'd have to charge...yikes.

Although anything is better than random inkstrike :p

StAidan

SplatGAF highlights from yesterday's rounds. The first is a squad battle, the rest are turf war shenanigans:

SplatGAF vs DUDE
I was so busy setting up my stream that I had no idea this was a DUDE crew until DUDE himself splatted me. Henceforth, I ran around like a headless chicken with little thought to strategy. (I wasn't on mic this round, so my stellar commentary is lost forever.)
EDIT: Found our DUDE squad battle on BooTheBun's Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/boothebun/v/24017858?t=13m55s
EDIT 2: My favorite quote from DUDE on the stream - "OK, Octobrush is killing all of us." lol

Octobrush OP, Pls Nerf
No one can stand before the brush.

Octobrush Viability Conversation
We recount the insult I received in Twitch chat earlier in the day, in which a Squidboards troll claimed Octobrush could only be used by the stupid.

vs Azure - Kill, Killed, Trade
The amazing almost-survival story.

Stray Ink vs. Azure (Then Kraken)
Azure almost escapes the Octobrush, until one final ink glob follows him down from the top of Flounder. Then I kraken and find him again.

Eyyy, Earlybird here. I and Jason might be on tonight again around 7 cst. I'll pop into discord prior. Happy to work on our rusty/middling skills in some private battles again.

Geg

So it turns out NoE jumped the gun again and the Heavy Splatling Deco isn't coming until Friday night.

I actually have plans tomorrow night so I have a legit reason not to play :p

Doorman

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the Mini Splatling once I finally started trying it out. Yes it lacks the heavy's range, but the charge time is really minimal, it carries range just as well as the Splatter Pro/Dual Squelch/.96 range, which is fine for most encounters, and its crazy rate of fire gives you pretty immediate hit feedback. I'm not a big fan of suction bombs nor the inkzooka personally, so for me the Zink rendition might be right up my alley. Add some bomb range to hurl disruptors along with some run speed and you'd really be able to wreak some havoc on people with it.

Not sure when it'll drop, though, unfortunately.

ss-hikaru

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the Mini Splatling once I finally started trying it out. Yes it lacks the heavy's range, but the charge time is really minimal, it carries range just as well as the Splatter Pro/Dual Squelch/.96 range, which is fine for most encounters, and its crazy rate of fire gives you pretty immediate hit feedback. I'm not a big fan of suction bombs nor the inkzooka personally, so for me the Zink rendition might be right up my alley. Add some bomb range to hurl disruptors along with some run speed and you'd really be able to wreak some havoc on people with it.

Not sure when it'll drop, though, unfortunately.

Hmmm, maybe I'm charging it for longer than I need to cos too used to the heavy. I'm not a fan of the suction bombs much, wish they were burst bombs instead. But I'll keep trying with the mini, if only to familiarise myself for the eventual release of the zink XD Heavy Deco first though!

Jason and I ended up doing twin squads. It didn't go too well. I just have to admit I'm not too hot when dealing with a moving goal ala rainmaker and tower control.

ChrisD

I'd be happy to hear anything from NoA. I know that their content is still being put out, and that those do have announcements. But without Direct they feel lower key. Just another text out there.

But at the same time I liked them for Iwata.

Hope it means something's coming.

nom

Don't know why but Nintendo JP just took down the Splatoon direct page, which was the page you'll be directed to if you go to "http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_direct". Maybe a new direct incoming?

Also the Splatoon playlist in Nintendo JP's youtube channel says it had some update today.

Hope it's not me over-reacting

I'm sold

3Jyobpu.gif

Insaniac

How's the community with the game so far? I enjoyed the demo, but never picked up the full game. With the e-shop sale, i might get it if its still an active game

Nico_D

How's the community with the game so far? I enjoyed the demo, but never picked up the full game. With the e-shop sale, i might get it if its still an active game

Well I think it's very active. No shortage of Japanese players online and most days you can get into a match with gaffers.

L95

Heh, I really need to read measurements better. Got that inkling plush in the mail, I'd call it a pillow lmao. (Not that I mind it being bigger than I thought it would be....)

I wonder how would it be if they added new game modes, like:

-Team Deathmatch.

or a game mode where all players use the same weapon or the same type of weapon for turf war or rainmaker, etc.

First one would be very easy to implement, but for the second one they'd have to allow you to change your gear while waiting for a match to start and so far it doesn't seem they have the intention to implement that at all.

I wonder how would it be if they added new game modes, like:

-Team Deathmatch.

or a game mode where all players use the same weapon or the same type of weapon for turf war or rainmaker, etc.

First one would be very easy to implement, but for the second one they'd have to allow you to change your gear while waiting for a match to start and so far it doesn't seem they have the intention to implement that at all.

I want a randomizer mode, where it's a 5 minute turf war and everything is random. Things like Sprinkler Rush, or 3 Haunt Mains would ensue. With loadout changing either every death, or a rotation interval.

I had one of those laggy start matches where it hanged on the intro, whited out to start skipping the teams popping up and get ready completely. It was a pretty normal match outside of one player disconnecting though...

I want a randomizer mode, where it's a 5 minute turf war and everything is random. Things like Sprinkler Rush, or 3 Haunt Mains would ensue. With loadout changing either every death, or a rotation interval.
You can only have sprinkler present so sprinkler rush would suck.

Now beacon rush would be sightly better (limit of 3 present) and of course there is always disruptor rush.

Malus

fucking hell spyke. re-rolling my blue moto boots to try and get triple run speed up. I get triple special duration up instead.

It's better than a lag spyke hahahahaha :(

Lost like 30 edit:40+ points today from disconnects damnit. My computer says the signal strength is perfect, but the Wii U can't find anything apparently. It's perfectly happy to let my losses finish but if we're winning, nah we gotta disconnect.

edit: Now my signal strength is down. What a guy gotta do to sploon.

Nintendo UK put up a poll about the splatfest.
Zombies - 37%
Ghosts - 63%

I chose Ghosts. Yay another 6 seashells wasted
why can't they split the bonus shells between popularity and winning because at the moment popularity is a huge disadvantage maybe zombies will be true to their character and move really slowly while ghosts have the typical laggy E-liters who will splat you with the 1 frame line of sight happening a second later

Edit: I decided to check off my gear and it looks like I'm complete on shoes, probably complete on clothes (outside of level up) but maybe several head missing (I'll have to re-count here).
I'm still going to pointlessly check the shops

TM25

Neo Member
I chose Zombies because of Callie, and because I want to be a ghostbuster.

For maps I predict Arowana Mall, Port Mackerel, and Flounder Heights.

Even if I lose I hope we are less popular so I get opposing matches easier.

Arkanius

Guys I'm really unmotivated. I feel I'm a huge liability because I'm level 7 while everyone else is level 40-50 during my games.

I think my aim is good, but I always get carpet bombed by huge amount of grenades, and everyone always has their specials up what feels like 70% of the time. My equipment sucks compared to theirs which has 3 stacks of Damage up, 3 stacks of Special Up and so on...

What gives? What weapon should I stick to? Or what should I aim for my equipment to be during my low levels ?

I feel the weapon I'm better with is the roller painter, and I try to maximize the painted area of my team. Every other time I take a machine gun or a sniper to try to help during the fights my team loses with by a huge 60% difference.

I AM LIABILITUS

I AM LIABILITUS
Those level 40 players have hundreds of hours more experience playing than you do. Also when they first started playing the stages available were much simpler.

As for equipment. In terms of buff to ability on gear a main is worth 10 arbitrary points while a sub is worth around 3. That means they have around 56 arbitrary points compared to your 39. It isn't such a big gap considering that.

Keep inking and buying new gear. If you get splatted a lot quick respawn will help you greatly. Early on money is pretty tight with lots of new gear to buy so you have to decide between wanting to try out a different weapon or buying different gear to level up.

Also what kind of scores are you getting at the end of a match?

As a roller user using ink flicks for a short ranged is as useful as rolling at times (flicks require a lot more accuracy then they used to though). Rolling is best for ambushes and ink coverage.

If your aim is good you might want to try the Gal series of guns (although I don't think they unlock until higher level) and squelchers. These have good range and are pretty powerful (Gal is a 2 hit KO, 52 fires faster, has shorter range and defence turn it into a 3 hit KO). If you can lay down enough ink the bubbler of the splattershot junior is great for combat (though you have to know when to retreat as knockback is a thing).

One final tip is be cautious about using super jump. It so frustrating when you're about to be splatted and your freshly respwaned team mates think it is great to jump to you and you seem them get splatted on the kill cam.

Doorman

Hmmm, maybe I'm charging it for longer than I need to cos too used to the heavy. I'm not a fan of the suction bombs much, wish they were burst bombs instead. But I'll keep trying with the mini, if only to familiarise myself for the eventual release of the zink XD Heavy Deco first though!

Heavy takes some windup time, but getting to the first level of charge on the Mini only really takes about as long as it takes to charge a bamboozler shot, with the level 2 charge near-immediately after. The duration of spray doesn't last as long as the fully-charged Heavy shots but since the Mini is built less for range and more for maneuverability, you don't spend a lot of time just trying to rain destruction from one spot anyway. The difference in feel between the two styles was larger than I anticipated.

If any bomb, I would have preferred the regular splat bomb on this over the suction or burst, tbh. While the charge time is short, there's enough there to make burst-to-shot kill combos a bit unwieldy compared to immediate shooters, while the splat bomb exploding faster than the suction would force opponents to react faster.

Guys I'm really unmotivated. I feel I'm a huge liability because I'm level 7 while everyone else is level 40-50 during my games.

I think my aim is good, but I always get carpet bombed by huge amount of grenades, and everyone always has their specials up what feels like 70% of the time. My equipment sucks compared to theirs which has 3 stacks of Damage up, 3 stacks of Special Up and so on...

What gives? What weapon should I stick to? Or what should I aim for my equipment to be during my low levels ?

I feel the weapon I'm better with is the roller painter, and I try to maximize the painted area of my team. Every other time I take a machine gun or a sniper to try to help during the fights my team loses with by a huge 60% difference.

I AM LIABILITUS

I can only really offer this: Use whatever weapon(s) you feel comfortable with, but also try to keep in mind a particular role you want to fill using that weapon and gear up accordingly. Nintendo wanted to make this a very beginner-accessible game, but there is definitely some bias in terms of people in high levels / people who've spent a lot of time playing, since they've accrued the money to buy a bunch of gear and reroll it to the point of getting more advantageous sub-abilities. While it's not a be-all end-all, having the right subs does have an impact, so for now there's not a lot you can do about that aside from being patient.

Once you hit level 10 you'll be able to get into ranked battles, and starting from C- there you'll be more likely to be matched up against others similarly getting their start so the playing field should be more level. Turf War is a bit of a mixing pot and there are plenty of S-rank level 50 crazy Japanese players who will jump back into there as much as anything. I wound up in a room last night that contained everything from level 50 down to level 5 all in the same match. Normally the game is a bit better than that with how it matches, but you can definitely run into some wonk-factor at times.

Top Bottom