• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Patch 2.2.0 coming October 20th. Full patch notes inside.

Nightbird

No problem for me :]

4750066051.png

We are thinking about moving to France anyway, so that's one reason more lol

Those are some delicious nerfs and buffs! Can't say I hugely disagree with anything. They took their sweet time with this, but good that they are seeing the issues. This makes me wanna pick the game up again.

Dynamo Rollers, Blasters, Ink Walls, etc. - Get fucked!

I was expecting further nerfs to the 96, but seeing that Kraken + Walls got nerfed... It's fine.

Point Sensor duration nerf is weird. It's not like they were really a problem and they already had decent range for subs. Maybe because they consume hardly any ink?

Decreasing the damage of my Tentek Splattershot from 36 to 35?

I'm not exactly sure what that's going to affect except for defense up stackers, which I don't see very many of. I hope this doesn't cause a big influx of people doing that cause I'd be bummed out if it took four shots to kill.

I'm not exactly sure what that's going to affect except for defense up stackers, which I don't see very many of. I hope this doesn't cause a big influx of people doing that cause I'd be bummed out if it took four shots to kill.

I'd need to test this, but yes, this could make dmg/def stacking a bit more important.
Also thanks for the Nzap buff, it was objectively much worse than the Tentatek.

DaBoss

Welp, she called it.

Nikki has explained that all the currently existing gear takes up 95mb and that the largest MP map takes up around 35mb. Not sure where that update size figure can be found at but if its real there's most likely a whole lot of new stuff in here that isnt just nerfs.
You can find it at the bottom of the Japanese site.

That alone won't cause it, but with nearly every change listed, we're gonna see a lot more Def Up. It now takes 1 Def Up main to get the Splattershot to 4 shot.

Geg

That alone won't cause it, but with nearly every change listed, we're gonna see a lot more Def Up. It now takes 1 Def Up main to get the Splattershot to 4 shot.

Whoa for real? Spyke was looking out for me with that miraculous defense up triple roll then lol

It would be cool if there was an entire octoling expansion. Like, 3 new worlds where you play as an octoling and do octoling stuff, a new offiline bot mode with the octoling, new maps, etc.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Quick question.

As you use weapons they get some form of points. Any point to this?
There are so many weapons but find no incentive to try them all.

NotLiquid

It would be cool if there was an entire octoling expansion. Like, 3 new worlds where you play as an octoling and do octoling stuff, a new offiline bot mode with the octoling, new maps, etc.

Octolings are likely at some point. Single player though is anyone's guess, though the update makes that seem unlikely.

It now takes 1 Def Up main to get the Splattershot to 4 shot.
A single Def Up main decreases damage by 2 points? If so I'm going to squeeze some attack up into my gear. The way I deal with longer range guns like Dual Squelch is to get up close and just brute force win the hit trade.

Also curious how the Inkzooka nerf is going to play out. It sounds like they are almost halving the fire rate :mad:

Steph_E.

The fix would be to use a LAN adapter instead of WiFi, to get a stable and full-duplex connection. The "Connection not stable" error means that your connection isn't stable enough.

Some of us use a LAN adapter and still get disconnected!

Geg

Quick question.

As you use weapons they get some form of points. Any point to this?
There are so many weapons but find no incentive to try them all.

The points on the weapons are just the amount of turf you've inked with it. There's no benefit or reward to it, it's just a bit of data showing how much you've used it compared to other weapons you use.

Steph_E.

It's never getting fixed sadly, I've been waiting for months and every patch or update never fixed the issue.
Really sorry to hear that your son has only just bought the game and never got to experience online as it was really amazing when it worked.
One of the patches changed it for some people, essentially stopping them from playing online even with a wired connection.
My copy, like your sons, is pretty much unplayable sadly.

I play online games on every system without errors, splatoon is the first time this has happened and it all started because they added something in a patch.

:-(

Well. if they added something in a patch which messed up the game, they can also delete that patch so it works again, or at least modify it somewhat.

We figured it out in another thread, actually. Pre-August patch, people with low upload speeds were frequently causing ink lag for the other players in the room, even if they weren't aware of this. So what they did was change it so those players were kicked instead of causing lag for everybody else.

Splatoon has a higher upload speed requirement than most games. That's why this game often won't work when others do. You need roughly .8 megabits upload for this game. Do you meet that? Because if not then that's probably your issue. If you do then... *shrugs*

In UK, upload is normally max of 1 megabit (unless you're on fibre). But you would have to live right next door to a BT exchange to get that, so my 0.7 megabit is probably as high as most people here get.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The points on the weapons are just the amount of turf you've inked with it. There's no benefit or reward to it, it's just a bit of data showing how much you've used it compared to other weapons you use.

Ah i see. I wish there was some clear incentive to master or at least try all the weapons.

DaBoss

There are a few mistakes here for those who don't know: http://splatoon.nintendo.com/assets/media/splatoon-patch-v2-2-0-notes.pdf

Bomb Rush is actually Rapid Blaster Pro.

The Rainmaker change listed is actually for Tower Control.
A single Def Up main decreases damage by 2 points? If so I'm going to squeeze some attack up into my gear. The way I deal with longer range guns like Dual Squelch is to get up close and just brute force win the hit trade.

Also curious how the Inkzooka nerf is going to play out. It sounds like they are almost halving the fire rate :mad:
A single Def Up main decreases damage by about 5%, so the Splattershot will do just under 100 damage if you have no Dmg Up at all.

jholmes

4749981302.png

My Connection

it works pretty good, but once in a while i get multiple disconnects, like 6 in a row, in wich case i have to stop playing for a few hours.

I'd love them to fix this issue

This is what happens to me too. Normally I'm humming along fine, but if I get a d/c, I'm probably going to get a bunch in a row. At those points I just mothball the game.

MrGameBoy

Whoa, wasn't expecting see so many metagame changes in the next update. And on a Tuesday too. Not quite update 3.0, but still drastic nonetheless.

(Still left wanting Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk pointer controls though...)

Persona7

Banned
Last time I played Splatoon my router log was reporting 1.1 to 1.4 megabits of constant upload bandwidth. Not sure if that includes other network functions of the Wii U or just the game by itself. I believe it spiked to 1.8 megabits at one point as well.

Hello.

Banned
The Dynamo Roller wasn't OP to me. Its flick was so ridiculously slow that if you miss head-on just once, you will die the next attempt. The tradeoffs were fine. If you were too slow to kill the Dynamo that's your own fault. Yes, sometimes lag can factor into this. Dynamos from miles away could kill you will just one flick, and with Damage Ups it was even worse.

Really I have no problem with Rollers in general. I feel like this change was brought on to fix the lag issues with rollers which are a notorious problem. I've been killed by rollers that just lag up to me from behind, or lag away, and I had no idea what happened.

Also I always thought rollers needed to aim with the center anyway, except Dynamo, because of their ridiculously long flick animation. I thought it was intentional. Clearly enough people were too mad about it so they just nerfed it altogether. At least now whenever I use a roller I don't have to hear complaints because it's a "braindead" weapon.

Regarding blasters, I'm glad. It's not a huge nerf but it will make Tower Control more bearable. Fucking Luna Blasters negate any reason to stand on the tower. Get FUCKED Inkzooka, sick of that special too.

As for the connection issues people are talking about, I had many of them. So much that I gave up playing the game, it was pointless to go on ranked then I just disconnect and lose 10 points. It wasn't fair. I bought a lan adapter and all my problems were fixed in a flash though.

khaaan

Oh man, that's quite the drop. Looking forward to seeing all the changes, my N-Zap is ready.

Still a lowly B- though, it's frustrating because I feel I would be higher if it weren't for all the disconnects I get. It has gotten to a point where I play a few matches of Turf War so I can be sure my internet isn't going to act up and then jump into Ranked. I've been thinking of grabbing a better router because I live in an apartment and my PC that's connected via LAN never has any issues in any of the online stuff I play.

So E-liters may be unable to OHKO at non-full charge? Great. *will still get splatted just as often by them*

No really, it should be a good thing that snipers are potentially liberated from a 3 damage up main with as many subs as possible meta.

Welp, she called it.

Nikki has explained that all the currently existing gear takes up 95mb and that the largest MP map takes up around 35mb. Not sure where that update size figure can be found at but if its real there's most likely a whole lot of new stuff in here that isnt just nerfs.
I honestly think the patch sizes are more of "you need this much space to download and install" so the Nintendo notes are always going to be a bit off here.

We figured it out in another thread, actually. Pre-August patch, people with low upload speeds were frequently causing ink lag for the other players in the room, even if they weren't aware of this. So what they did was change it so those players were kicked instead of causing lag for everybody else.
The thing is 3v4 matches that are left from this (I sometimes see 3v3 and even one occasion of 4v0 almost suggesting something like an IRC netsplit happens) can be fairly one sided unless there is a skill gap (which due to shrinking player base seems to be happening to keep matchmaking at a moderate speed) and given I still see disconnections in at least 1/10 matches it makes the experience frustrating. I see Japanese and non-Japanese affected so some of it is just things happen but I'm not sure I can forgive the deliberate ones.

Still the notes about the point sensors and disruptors give me a bit of hope but only a tiny bit.

Anyone still affected should still contact Nintendo and waffle through their time wasting troubleshooting of literally picking MTU numbers out of thin air and serial numbers and mii names etc...

Dr. Buni

I haven't got disconnects since the first testfire, but the lag is unbearable at times. Being killed by the enemy's squid ghost 5 seconds after I killed them is really annoying.
Does this still not have a region filter implemented? Because that's laughable if so.
It doesn't.

Last time I played Splatoon my router log was reporting 1.1 to 1.4 megabits of constant upload bandwidth. Not sure if that includes other network functions of the Wii U or just the game by itself. I believe it spiked to 1.8 megabits at one point as well.
that's huge! must be all the updated locations for paint splats and all the misc stuff while you battle.

Peltz

The Japanese page shows a few video comparisons regarding nerfed weapons:

Blasters appear to have been nerfed to do less damage from splash:
https://youtu.be/0iY8rm-lj5M

And so have Rollers, if they only hit you with the edge and not the center of the wave it won't do full damage:
https://youtu.be/2r334h868lU
https://youtu.be/5cebQ19Bodk

And E-Liter 3K family appears to only be a guaranteed 1HK if it's actually fully charged:
https://youtu.be/2OYkHLoyrJ4

I think these changes balance out the game really nicely.

Top Bottom