• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Patch 2.2.0 coming October 20th. Full patch notes inside.

Ansatz

Are you saying rollers and blasters have to think about crosshair placement, and not just aim in the general direction of a player? Maybe time to get back into the game!

jariw

I don't see any fixes for the "Connection not stable" error my son gets for ever single match. He's just had the game Monday and haven't been able to play online at all. Boo!

The fix would be to use a LAN adapter instead of WiFi, to get a stable and full-duplex connection. The "Connection not stable" error means that your connection isn't stable enough.

The fix would be to use a LAN adapter instead of WiFi, to get a stable and full-duplex connection. The "Connection not stable" error means that your connection isn't stable enough.

For many people it also means that their upload speed is too low. Splatoon has a higher requirement than many other online games, apparently.

Yeah, and they moved the weekly maintenance for all their games up to today (it's now the 16th here), for the huge maintenance this monday. Normally game maintenance is on monday every week. And according to L~A the major update name has been changed too.

"This morning, Nintendo made another change. The upcoming “General” maintenance is now known as “Using Nintendo Network ID”."

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/maintenance-for-flipnote-studio-3d-scheduled-for-next-week/
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/maintenance-for-wii-u-3ds-games-taking-place-this-morning/

Sources from L~A's website.

Something's cooking.

The Club Nintendo accounts/rewards successor is due any time now, as it was always said to be on track for the end of the year. If we're in for a big NNID-related server update, that must certainly be it.

I'm stunned at, but cautiously pleased with, the scale of the Inkzooka nerf. Not having played since a little before Flounder Heights was patched in, I can't testify to the state of rollers, but making OHKOs from them a little more skill-based is a big change to the metagame, and perhaps it may even lead to Carbons getting relatively more use as their lack of killing power is comparatively not as big a minus next to the other rollers. Glad my Aerospray remains unscathed, and I was mainly a Squelcher player in the ranked modes anyway (particularly in Tower Control), so the buff is welcome news.

tkscz

yes.png

original

The (G) Dynamo Roller was OP as fuck. It needed this kind of nurfing so fucking bad. "No ink? Just roll them over anyway. Too far? Spam the ink throw, they'll die in one hit regardless of where they are." Thank you based Nintendo.

Nanashrew

Banned
The Club Nintendo accounts/rewards successor is due any time now, as it was always said to be on track for the end of the year. If we're in for a big NNID-related server update, that must certainly be it.

I'm stunned at, but cautiously pleased with, the scale of the Inkzooka nerf. Not having played since a little before Flounder Heights was patched in, I can't testify to the state of rollers, but making OHKOs from them a little more skill-based is a big change to the metagame, and perhaps it may even lead to Carbons getting relatively more use as their lack of killing power is comparatively not as big a minus next to the other rollers. Glad my Aerospray remains unscathed, and I was mainly a Squelcher player in the ranked modes anyway (particularly in Tower Control), so the buff is welcome news.

Yeah, that's why we all think a Direct is coming cause there's just a lot that seems to be going on behind closed doors and a lot they need to really announce at once. We know Directs are still going to happen we just don't know when.

Anyway, I should probably stop cause I don't want to continue to derail the thread.

--

I'm actually liking all the nerfs in the patch though. Definitely looks like it is doing things to try to improve the overall experience and meta of the game.

I don't see any fixes for the "Connection not stable" error my son gets for ever single match. He's just had the game Monday and haven't been able to play online at all. Boo!

It's never getting fixed sadly, I've been waiting for months and every patch or update never fixed the issue.
Really sorry to hear that your son has only just bought the game and never got to experience online as it was really amazing when it worked.
One of the patches changed it for some people, essentially stopping them from playing online even with a wired connection.
My copy, like your sons, is pretty much unplayable sadly.

I play online games on every system without errors, splatoon is the first time this has happened and it all started because they added something in a patch.

original

Thank you based Nintendo.
Agreed.
They pretty much fixed the biggest issue with the game, those rollers were crazily OP.
Sadly my copy no longer works though...

But the connection errors, have those been fixed. That's what I want to know...
Have they fixed the disconnect issues that started to occur lately for many players?
It ain't happening people, let it go....
:-(

NotLiquid

Welp, she called it.

Nikki has explained that all the currently existing gear takes up 95mb and that the largest MP map takes up around 35mb. Not sure where that update size figure can be found at but if its real there's most likely a whole lot of new stuff in here that isnt just nerfs.

Kingbrave

I do use a LAN adapter instead of WIFI. I have absolutely no problems playing Mario Kart or Super Smash Brothers online and lag free not to mention any other console games or PC games. It's just Splatoon. Other people have the exact same problem with no fix at all. But yeah, it's just my connection.
It's never getting fixed sadly, I've been waiting for months and every patch or update never fixed the issue.
Really sorry to hear that your son has only just bought the game and never got to experience online as it was really amazing when it worked.
One of the patches changed it for some people, essentially stopping them from playing online even with a wired connection.
My copy, like your sons, is pretty much unplayable sadly.

I play online games on every system without errors, splatoon is the first time this has happened and it all started because they added something in a patch.

Well, the other guy I quoted said it was the way I had it hooked up and my connection even thoug that's how I have it hooked up and my connection is great for everything
not Splatoon related. Or I'm lying because I'm sneaky and nefarious that way.

Have they fixed the disconnect issues that started to occur lately for many players?

I so wish I could play this online. Hell, this is right up my son's alley. We can play for 15 to 30 seconds and then boom, disconnected. It's frustrating
because it seems like a fun game and we really like Nintendo. I'd like something other than COD to play.

-shadow-

It ain't happening people, let it go....
Might as well sell the game than. What a waste :'(

And no LAN isn't going to help. It's just Splatoon where we have problems. Kart and Smash (well as little as Smash doesn't lag) don't have problems whatsoever...

I do use a LAN adapter instead of WIFI. I have absolutely no problems playing Mario Kart or Super Smash Brothers online and lag free not to mention any other console games or PC games. It's just Splatoon. Other people have the exact same problem with no fix at all. But yeah, it's just my connection.
We figured it out in another thread, actually. Pre-August patch, people with low upload speeds were frequently causing ink lag for the other players in the room, even if they weren't aware of this. So what they did was change it so those players were kicked instead of causing lag for everybody else.

Splatoon has a higher upload speed requirement than most games. That's why this game often won't work when others do. You need roughly .8 megabits upload for this game. Do you meet that? Because if not then that's probably your issue. If you do then... *shrugs*

Kingbrave

We figured it out in another thread, actually. Pre-August patch, people with low upload speeds were frequently causing ink lag for the other players in the room, even if they weren't aware of this. So what they did was change it so those players were kicked instead of causing lag for everybody else.

Splatoon has a higher upload speed requirement than most games. That's why this game often won't work when others do. You need roughly .8 megabits upload for this game. Do you meet that? Because if not then that's probably your issue. If you do then... *shrugs*

Download is 10megs a second and upload at 5 megs.

Might as well sell the game than. What a waste :'(
This is my problem, i just can't bring myself to do so just incase the game is fixed.
Our whole house was splatoon crazy, everyone loved it and then all of a sudden the patch came and made it unplayable.
We figured it out in another thread, actually.
I'm well aware of this apparent solution, and i'm aware that everyone thinks they figured it out and told everyone with problems that this was the cause.
Sadly it's not in my case, my upload speed is well above .8 and i still get disconnected/kicked after about 30 seconds in every match, whilst your solution might have been the issue for some, it sadly wasn't for me.

Only time i get disconnect issues with splatoon is when 3 people in my house are using Netflix or Hulu other than that i get them randomly during splatfest but everyone has issues during splatfest lol. here is my internet speeds i use a linksys router if that makes any difference

4749898017.png

Kingbrave

Is that you're wired or wireless? I found my wifi router is pretty shit and doesn't get close to my wired's 25Mb download and 6Mb upload.

Wired.

I'm well aware of this apparent solution, and i'm aware that everyone thinks they figured it out and told everyone with problems that this was the cause.
Sadly it's not in my case, my upload speed is well above .8 and i still get disconnected/kicked after about 30 seconds in every match, whilst your solution might have been the issue for some, it sadly wasn't for me.

A quick google search shows that there are tons of people who have the same problem as us that fall well above the .8 rule as well.

NotLiquid

Does a new costume in an old game really warrant a Direct?

Setting aside the new character part the game would be likely to introduce more maps, music, weapons and possibly a new mode. The size of the update at least implies that there's a lot more to it than just balancing. This is stuff that could be brought up in a Direct. Whether a game-specific one is arguable (especially since we've had a post-release Direct for Smash detailing new content for that game six months after release), but alongside all the other rumors, hints and leaks, definitely a fairly all purpose one.

Wired.
A quick google search shows that there are tons of people who have the same problem as us that fall well above the .8 rule as well.

I know and it breaks my heart.
Every time i bring it up on neogaf or anywhere else i get the same response of "we solved this ages ago and it's because of your upload speed"

I'm in the same boat as you, using a wired connection with great upload speed and i still get kicked out no matter what i do, i've even tried not moving at all and i still get kicked out.
I'm pleased that others are still having fun, especially now with the OP rollers getting fixed but i really wish they would go back and try to help so many of the people that paid for their game and are now essentially being told they can't play anymore.

-shadow-

Even worse, when the demo was available again after the 2.0 update there was not a single hitch there. No ink lag, no teleporting inklings, no problem. Whatever the problem is it's something in the new connection settings for the game and Nintendo doesn't seems to be willing to fix whatever they've changed.

Nightbird

4749981302.png

My Connection

it works pretty good, but once in a while i get multiple disconnects, like 6 in a row, in wich case i have to stop playing for a few hours.

I'd love them to fix this issue

Hmm, I think what's happening is that the code they put in to detect ink laggers is catching you as a "false positive". Hopefully they fix it.

R00bot

Incoming more datamining.

I'm getting really freaking sick of these data miners. I wish they would stop ruining the surprise, before an update could contain multiple weapons to be released later and be disguised as a stability update, then BAM new weapons, new stages, new surprises. Now an update comes out and we know almost instantly what's in it and we just have to wait for it.

It's not the same, and they've kinda ruined the fun for me.

How do you all have connexion problems? Try turning torrents or anything using a lot of bandwidth off maybe. Really I haven't got any issue for a long time.

I play with Japanese gamers really often and at the beginning I had a few problems (lagging) but now it's perfect. Sorry for you guys since the game is clearly the game of the year :/

Edit:

My connexion is not really better than other people so I don't know...
4750052434.png

tkscz

nope blame dynamo rollers blasting ink from three blocks away

This, and if you never experienced it, you were either doing it, used weapons that has long range, or didn't play against all the Japanese players who super spammed the shit out of that roller.

This roller has ink range equal to that of most of the rapid shooters. The ink it shot was insta-kill regardless of range. Japanese players would, once again, spam the shit out of it from areas they couldn't be reached at. It's one flaw, that the swing is super slow, didn't hold it back at all as it's range pretty much made up for it and you still didn't have time to escape it's blast as the ink was so damn wide spread.

I played a game with three players of the opposing team using a dynamo roller (other was using a charger) and all they did was spam the shit out of it so that we could never get the tower to the other side (they stood at an edge and just spammed the shit out of it).

Daknight

I use roller and even I think this nerf aren't that bad and in some case need. I rarely use the splash except to back away and hated getting splash since no matter position it would killed O_O. They simply adjusting it so is more of the short-range weapon is suppose to be, instead of having a short and medium range game with it O_O

Other nerfs are interesting too and glad for some of the buffs. I can finally use the Dual Squelcher more, only reason I didn't use it much is cause speed while firing it was so darn slow!

Zing

Banned
I strongly suggest you try a new router. Just buy one, test it, and return if it doesn't help. I am willing to bet, it will. Several people in the Splatoon OT and discord chat had same problem and a new, different router fixed it.

I use the Apple Airport Express. I've tried at least four different routers over the years and this one is by far he best.

samn

I bought a copy a while ago, still sealed, been waiting til I had some time free to play it. If connection issues are as bad as described I'm tempted to sell it.

Jintor

I bought a copy a while ago, still sealed, been waiting til I had some time free to play it. If connection issues are as bad as described I'm tempted to sell it.

seems to be most players: super fine. very few unlucky players: rekt.

Top Bottom