• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon sells over one million copies in japan

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For those who work on normal timezones, that's 0800 UTC.

So will this be the women behind their voices performing or a video/hologram of the characters?

Rymuth

Wohooo! Congrats!

Ryng_Tolu! Post if you're okay...or if you're a kid now...or even a squid now! I'll take either!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Don't think I have ever been that wrong when predicting a commercial success of a first party Nintendo title in Japan.

My best case scenario were like 400k copies for Splatoon... And even that was quite high considering the system and the fact that it was a shooter. Just crazy.

Congrats to the young guns at Nintendo and Japan for embracing a new home console IP.

jnWake

Saving them for the next smash.

I guess they didn't make the cut because they'd require more mechanical tweaks to the game to be able to fit. Sakurai'd probably want to use the ink mechanic for them and that seems something way more complex to add than the stuff characters already in the game use.

Ōkami

That million was reached weeks ago, Nintendo just decided to announce it now.

Digital was at ~150k by the middle of October.

I guess they didn't make the cut because they'd require more mechanical tweaks to the game to be able to fit. Sakurai'd probably want to use the ink mechanic for them and that seems something way more complex to add than the stuff characters already in the game use.

I actually imagine proper use of the ink mechanic would be way too much pressure for use on 3DS.

Exile20

Ōkami;189486248 said:
That million was reached weeks ago, Nintendo just decided to announce it now.

Digital was at ~150k by the middle of October.

If that was true, why say so now on the day of Media Create release?

sturmdogg

Is this game easy to pick up for a 5 year old? My kid's been bugging me to get him a Wii U and Splatoon for the longest time.

Holy crap at Splatoon turning into the biggest franchise in japan for nintendo. there taste sure is very different then rest of the world.

Wow, congrats to Nintendo. I'll happily admit that I was one of the naysayers, thinking that this game wouldn't sell at all. Hopefully this means that Nintendo is up for giving more of the younger / new / unknown members of their dev teams leeway to work on new stuff as opposed to a massive focus on the same few sequels each gen.

That's very impressive.

What were the last few new console IPs which managed to achieve that in Japan?

The Wii franchises probably. Monster Hunter 3 also crawled over the finish line on a home console. Before that I think you have to go back to the PS2 with Winning Eleven, Onimusha, and Kingdom Hearts.

Javier

So happy the GOAT did so well. Squid Kids are here to stay.

Is this game easy to pick up for a 5 year old? My kid's been bugging me to get him a Wii U and Splatoon for the longest time.
The learning curve is very good and it's definitely one of the easiest shooters to get used to.

If your kid has some experience with video games and he's actually eager to play Splatoon, he shouldn't have much problems picking up the game.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Yep, the game is easy to learn and the single player mode can teach your son how to get to grip with the game mechanic.

Plus Turf wars is a team effort in paining the ground so he can mess about paint the wall and still do alright.

Top Bottom