• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Ver 2.0.0 Patch Notes

Exile20

That's like saying a bullet to the face now does 5% less damage therefore it's a nerf. The principle problem is the speed of which you can pop it out of nowhere, the length of its duration, invincibility, one hit kills etc. Seriously it is the most broken ass thing I've seen in a game in a long time.

You are kidding right? Please tell me this post is a joke.

Forkball

You are kidding right? Please tell me this post is a joke.

The only joke here is people thinking Splatoon is this untouchable masterpiece filled with flawless design decisions. You apologists are ridiculous and act like there is nothing wrong with this game. I love Splatoon, but it certainly has its problems and the kraken is one of them. Do I really have to go into detail about why a power that allows you to turn invincible and immediately kill anyone near you is dumb?

The only joke here is people thinking Splatoon is this untouchable masterpiece filled with flawless design decisions. You apologists are ridiculous and act like there is nothing wrong with this game. I love Splatoon, but it certainly has its problems and the kraken is one of them. Do I really have to go into detail about a power that allows you to turn invincible and immediately kill anyone near you is dumb?

While there are problems with Splatoon, the Kraken is far and away not one of those problems.

Razmos

The only place Kraken is OP is in single player using the Squid Amiibo

The amount of times I've turned Kraken and been outplayed by people...
Kraken is an effective tool, if you can make it work. But it's very dependent on the stage you are on, the skill of the other players and the gear that they have.

Exile20

The only joke here is people thinking Splatoon is this untouchable masterpiece filled with flawless design decisions. You apologists are ridiculous and act like there is nothing wrong with this game. I love Splatoon, but it certainly has its problems and the kraken is one of them. Do I really have to go into detail about why a power that allows you to turn invincible and immediately kill anyone near you is dumb?

The game has issues but the Kraken is extremely low in priority.

If you think the Kraken is the biggest problem of this game then this game has to be the best game in your life.

Seriously tho, the Kraken is not even close to being as powerful as you state.

Chimkey

Kraken is irritating much like most of the specials when in the right persons hands, inkzooka can be downright brutal at times. At least with the Kraken you have means to evade or combat it.

Exile20

Kraken is irritating much like most of the specials when in the right persons hands, inkzooka can be downright brutal at times. At least with the Kraken you have means to evade or combat it.

It always feels good to kill a fleeing Kraken cause you either stop them from moving or swim away then at the right time chase them and kill them. A Kraken is extremely vulnerable when changing back.

Many time i just stood still in the ink also and they just swim right by me. Ninja Squid for the win.

That's like saying a bullet to the face now does 5% less damage therefore it's a nerf. The principle problem is the speed of which you can pop it out of nowhere, the length of its duration, invincibility, one hit kills etc. Seriously it is the most broken ass thing I've seen in a game in a long time.

Looks like SOMEONE never tries and shoot at a kraken to stall 'em till they turn back to normal. I've gotten myself killed as a kraken like that 3 times.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm not afraid of the Kraken any more. Though skilled players will always pop that or the Bubbler when they're close to you. If you can see a Kraken coming you can easily avoid it.

Acerac

Banned

Splatoon has many flaws. The Kraken being overwhelmingly powerful is not one of them.

splatoon_summer-pc_1920_1080.png

splatoon_summer-iphone6plus_shisa.png

Nintendo just email these.

the invincibility ones are getting annoying in a sense that they charge right at you wtihout think just because they know they wont die and they get you because they are invincible. Im not too keen with them personally.

i feel like there are way bigger problems, like the fact that i cant switch weapons in the lobby, or i cant do that 4 on 4 party things with turf war, or no voice chat with friends, or the fact that there are only two maps in the rotation for 4 freaking hours. I don't even understand the rotation in the first place. Also, the real big one, is the fact that they are putting 3 modes in 1 category called ranked mode so i cant play separate modes. The hell? What happened to choices here? i hate splatzones, but i like tower mode. well too bad for me i guess because its not on right now. what an odd terrible choice for a game design.

Getting kicked to lobby when you rank up or down is hilarious. When you rank down stop right there. It isn't worth it. If you rank up, accept the W and walk away.

#teamlost2ranksinonesession

splatfest score change is cool too.

Gears

All you have to do is run away from a kraken. I've found that I can just say fuck this and easily make a path to get away from them and score points while doing it. Krakens only scare me when they have others supporting it, which never happens because all the people want to do is rack up kills.

All you have to do is run away from a kraken.I've found that I can just say fuck this and easily make a path to get away from them and score points while doing it. Krakens only scare me when they have others supporting it, which never happens because all the people want to do is rack up kills.

The Kraken is deadly when you are surrounded by enemy ink, or if there is no ink around you (think Ranked Battle). Running away is rather hard when you have to make a path first. But yeah, I don't think it's that overrated. Especially with the Squid Ninja ability ;-)

Really looking forward to these updates, though. Especially the new gear and the level cap raise.

correojon

I don´t think Kraken is OP. I love hiding in ink, then I follow it from a distance and as soon as it ends I kill the user. Usually the Kraken user feels too powerful and doesn´t expect someone to be following him closely to attack as soon as he turns back.

Inkzookas are much more powerful IMO.

Most people occasionally get owned by a Kraken and the ones that don't are usually playing long-ranged weapons (or lying). But it shouldn't be happening terribly often, certainly not to the point you think it's broken. If it's happening a lot you are probably playing too aggressively and need to respect your opponent more. The majority of the time a Kraken gets a KO it's because the opponent did not respect the Kraken user and got in too close or got themselves into an unsafe position. The rest of the time it's generally due to a sneak attack that probably would've worked without a Kraken but no reason not to use the Kraken for safety.

random25

Dealing with Kraken isn't really that difficult to be honest. And as for using it, it even takes quite a good skill to be effective.

Gears

Anything can be pretty deadly when you're surrounded by enemy ink :p

Wondering what these quality of life things are. Maybe aliasing...nahhh

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
One of my favorite moments was completely halting a Kraken with the Aerospary and watching him struggle to get to me.

Sendou

Good changes. Interested to see how exactly they changed Underpass.

...and Kraken is OP again. Of course it is.

large.jpg

KingBroly

Banned
I'd be fine with them making the Kraken harder to use as long as they buff it back to where it was before. With how many Rapid-fire weapons that are out there right now, it's only useful against catching enemies by surprise and creating open paths and distracting your opponents for a bit.

Azure J

I'm legitimately at a loss thinking about how the Kraken can be anything but solid at this point, especially post 1.3 nerf. If you get hit by one, you were either cleanly outplayed or messed up. This isn't even me trying to be some ultra try hard telling people 'git gud', it's just legitimately puzzling.

I'd be fine with them making the Kraken harder to use as long as they buff it back to where it was before. With how many Rapid-fire weapons that are out there right now, it's only useful against catching enemies by surprise and creating open paths and distracting your opponents for a bit.

And those 3 things aren't good enough? Compared to the other "supers" it definitely does NOT need a buff.

And those 3 things aren't good enough? Compared to the other "supers" it definitely does NOT need a buff.
It definitely doesn't need a nerf either :p Kraken can do all 3 of those things, but I think other specials are better in those categories than kraken.

At this point I think bubbler is more likely to get a nerf before kraken does. It spreads to allies and you get to keep your main weapon for its duration. Sometimes having a decent ranged weapon is better than being locked to a melee instakill attack.

I think a buff to killer wail and a nerf to inkzooka are appropriate. Don't quite understand the echolocator nerf, but it's nice to have, always works and works from anywhere.

Celine

The Kraken is useless outside of sitting on the tower in TC. It's super easy to dodge, and the nerf means that it can be knocked back fairly easily as well.
Depend on the context really (in close combat or narrow spots it is deadly).
I regard the Kraken as a defensive special most of time though.

This post is an exaggeration.
Inkbrush or rapid fire guns can push back the Kraken.
Also if there is enough ally ink around you and the area is large enough you can easily escape it.

Krakens are by far the least offensive special at this point post-nerf. The pushback from being shot is so severe that you aren't getting a kill unless you catch someone unaware. Splat Bomb Rush deserves a nerf infinitely more than Kraken, 99% of ranked players just spam that trash over the zone all match long as it is impossible to approach.

Celine

Wow, that Splatfest change, tho. Will that kill the salt, I wonder.
At least it's something (let's face it a competition where the the winning stakes count so little compared to the popularity it's flawed because it promotes to choose the popular side disregarding the actual game part).

Krakens are by far the least offensive special at this point post-nerf. The pushback from being shot is so severe that you aren't getting a kill unless you catch someone unaware. Splat Bomb Rush deserves a nerf infinitely more than Kraken, 99% of ranked players just spam that trash over the zone all match long as it is impossible to approach.
This.

Unless the person shooting or being shot has high latency in which case the pushback won't happen (or is delayed) *raises hand* I've done everything I can to lower latency being on being on wired, forwarded ports etc but half a megabit of upstream is not enough for this game so is the limiting factor.

High latency also ruins disruptor.

I would like to see some update on the mini game that you can play during loading
Did you buy amiibo to unlock the other games? One of which is essentially a sound test.
I don't like amiibo gated content and so the whole amiibo thing is difficult

I personally just whip out my 3DS while waiting in lobby.

Ninja Dom

I've only had the game a week so I'm not sure that I would be aware of the effects of these updates, but good stuff anyway.

Kraken was a bit too strong before the nerf but it is fine now. Not sure what people are still complaining about. Granted, lag can still make it more scary than it should normally be.

Disappointed over no Dynamo Roller nerf though.

correojon

Kraken was a bit too strong before the nerf but it is fine now. Not sure what people are still complaining about. Granted, lag can still make it more scary than it should normally be.

Disappointed over no Dynamo Roller nerf though.

Don´t touch my Dynamo Roller :mad:

What would you nerf about it? It´s a very powerful weapon, but it´s the slowest one in the game and using it correctly is harder than it seems.

Don´t touch my Dynamo Roller :mad:

What would you nerf about it? It´s a very powerful weapon, but it´s the slowest one in the game and using it correctly is harder than it seems.

It's just a stupid weapon and should not be in the game at all. It's like a portable ink strike with insane range.

"Hey, let's make a shotgun type weapon that has the range of an assault rife and mostly one-shots". Yeah, no thanks.

First nerf I would suggest is fixing the net code.

Top Bottom