• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell and Assassin’s Creed to Reportedly Get New VR Games Exclusive to Oculus

Mista

Banned
Splinter-Cell-Assassins-Creed-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

In a new report from The Information, it was said that Facebook, the owner of Oculus, is looking to boost its library of exclusive games that the platform has at its disposal. As such, they have reportedly netted some exclusive deals with Ubisoft that would bring new VR games based on both Splinter Cell and Assassin’s Creed to Oculus in the future. Mark Zuckerberg himself has been said to be personally pushing for this and that new exclusives will lead to more sales for Oculus devices.

As of now, it’s hard to know whether or not this could be true since we’ve only heard it from one source. Furthermore, if a deal like this has been struck recently, then it might be awhile until we actually see what these Splinter Cell and Assassin’s Creedtitles would look like. So while this all could be true, it might take a bit until we learn more directly from Oculus or Ubisoft.

Romulus

No Splinter Cell for years, then one finally gets made and it's for VR. That's a kick in the pants.

An awesome kick in the pants if you ask me. Gaming on a flat screen versus VR is absolutely horrible in terms of immersion, and the slower paced design of Splinter Cell seems perfect. Assassin Creed lol, we'll see.

Larxia

Specific VR hardware exclusive is such a dumb thing...
VR is already crazy expensive and it struggles because of that, and yet, they decide to fragment the market and the playerbase even more by having games exclusive to specific hardware.
Sometimes it really seems like publishers are doing everything they can to kill VR.

Solo Act

An awesome kick in the pants if you ask me. Gaming on a flat screen versus VR is absolutely horrible in terms of immersion, and the slower paced design of Splinter Cell seems perfect. Assassin Creed lol, we'll see.
I've never used VR, so my intention isn't to disagree with you. I'll just write that I don't want to be more immersed in games. I want to sneak through some fun new levels of Splinter Cell, play some Spies vs Mercs and go about my day. Different strokes I suppose.

And let me edit this post to say that I don't care about AC because there are already a thousand games in that franchise. SC has been a dormant series for nearly a decade, so it hurts that the first rumored game back will seemingly exist only on Facebook's VR platform.

Last edited:

Romulus

I've never used VR, so my intention isn't to disagree with you. I'll just write that I don't want to be more immersed in games. I want to sneak through some fun new levels of Splinter Cell, play some Spies vs Mercs and go about my day. Different strokes I suppose.

And let me edit this post to say that I don't care about AC because there are already a thousand games in that franchise. SC has been a dormant series for nearly a decade, so it hurts that the first rumored game back will seemingly exist only on Facebook's VR platform.

I can tell you as a huge splinter cell fan(I was there day one spies vs mercs Xbox live) VR is awesome for sneaking games. Being about to physically lean around corners sounds fine, but it adds so much tension in practice, giving you a physicality to the experience. And now, most VR games control as good as regular games, if not better in some cases. I understand though, but you need to try it at least.

Try it before you make your final judgement at least. You may not care about immersion, but maybe you do care about the kinds of stealth mechanics you can get up to in VR, or other aspects of it. It's also possible that you just become a fan of immersion when it hits you, literally, right in the face.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If Splinter Cell wants to compete with Metal Gear going the radical VR route as opposed to a soft-reboot is how you dominate the Stealth genre again #MakeStealthGreatAgain

If Splinter Cell wants to compete with Metal Gear going the radical VR route as opposed to a soft-reboot is how you dominate the Stealth genre again #MakeStealthGreatAgain
I'd also love to see Kojimas take on a stealth VR game. We know he's a fan of the tech and wants to make something with it at some point. After Death Stranding perhaps?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'd also love to see Kojimas take on a stealth VR game. We know he's a fan of the tech and wants to make something with it at some point. After Death Stranding perhaps?
Possible, if Kojima went all out on VR it would for sure go GOTY contender, it's a long shot

Possible, if Kojima went all out on VR it would for sure go GOTY contender, it's a long shot
I think once we get our first killer app, there will be a turning point in developer interest in VR. If HLVR launches this year and delivers that, and especially provides useful information on a formula for AAA VR games, then Kojima and others will be more intrigued to step in sooner rather than later.

All the bigshot developers attend the Game Awards. Imagine if this year, they all had to watch Gabe accepting GOTY for HLVR. That would be a revelation for a number of devs.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If done right, a fully fleshed out VR stealth game could be really interesting.

Can't wait to crawl around my living room.

Tesseract

Banned
why would you let out a report that your new splinter cell is a vr game

loooooooooooooool get rekt (day 1 baby)

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can't wait, love that Oculus put their money where they mouth is with VR productions and present some of the still few higher budget titles for it (for now). Although I expect these will be timed exclusives that will show up on Steam later, not full exclusives (and of course they won't make the whole damn franchise VR exclusive, are people on drugs to even entertain the possibility of this, yeah, take an IP that always sells mega millions like Assassin's Creed and limit to an install base of a few millions for the foreseeable future, lol, stop worrying guys), they likely still wouldn't happen without Oculus money to think of it under the same bad light as Epic exclusives. But I doubt Oculus invested enough money for a huge company like Ubisoft to make some big IP like that full exclusives. Unless they just licensed the IP from them and they won't actually be made in house or something. I dunno. Anyway, something like Espire 1 but with high production values would be nice to have. Playing VR tactical FPS Onward in operations mode with its crappy bot AI and no mission objectives only hints at the great VR gameplay these games can offer, it's gonna be sweet.

At least hopefully it's a full blown game like that, not some limited tech demo spin off like Batman Arkham VR or the Spiderman promotional barely-games. I hope whoever develops it takes a good look at matured VR controls as seen in Onward and such rather than try to reinvent the wheel.

Eh maybe it will work with Revive
Revive is great with Index apparently, since the Index controllers actually match the layout of the Oculus Touch controllers quite closely unlike the old Vive wands. So it'll be better when you upgrade.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Is it THAT hard to develop a Old School Splinter Cell like 1, 2 and 3? Just do it Ubisoft, it will print money. The thirst is real.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

They'll probably be Quest exclusive. To the fans of those franchises: better start saving up for your next favorite $400 gaming system. :)

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They'll probably be Quest exclusive. To the fans of those franchises: better start saving up for your next favorite $400 gaming system. :)
Not very likely, it'll all come to PC too, if not day and date then soon after. Journey of the Gods, Vader, Shadow Point, all initially shown as Quest exclusives are already on PC. But not all Oculus PC games go to Quest as they can't be ported down to that spec.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

People's excuse for not jumping into VR was the lack of games in popular franchises, now that the games are finally starting to come out they don't want to play them. Figures.

Top Bottom