• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Blacklist and Rayman Legend Sold below forecasts

Pooya

mentioned during call ubisoft just had, as reason for lowered guidance next to exchange impact etc at 19:18

http://www.media-server.com/m/p/k7e8bpcx

and second as we said we had games that we released for which we're anticipating today lower sales that we had anticipated when we gave our first targets

[....]

already released games, such as of course Splinter Cell and Rayman and others

AC4 forecast is unchanged
other tidbit
target for AC4 is 10m.
Watch_Dogs > 6.2m [preorders were good so they had more units than the original plan on the guidance]
The Crew 2.5m

--------------------------
ok, I managed to transcribe this bit, about console transition, sounds like ubi will have current gen games through next year and will be deciding for what's next year depending how fast nextgen consoles sell

http://www.media-server.com/m/p/k7e8bpcx

starting 31:30

Question: based on the preorders you've seen for some of nextgen names have you changed your expectations on the shift from, basically for titles for current gen sales vs nextgen sales, like if that adoption for nextgen is slower than you'd expect or faster? you mentioned Watch_Dogs, you saw more nextgen preorders than you expected initially

Yves Guillemot: In fact what we see is that the nextgen consoles are already coming at the speed we expected, just because the manufactures can't supply the demand, so they are selling what they have in hands, so it follows the same volume for this year, but we expect because the demand will be very high it will increase the potential for next year.

so we will still have a mix, the same mix, for next year between currentgen and nextgen, it's for the year after that we will have to consider how many current gen we have and seeing how fast those consoles are taking over.

But is also very important to consider is the new functionality that those new consoles are coming with are really improving what can be done with the games that come, so those games will quicly show the difference that those consoles are bringing and it will push more and more sales on them.

---
I don't think there was anything else interesting in there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Blacklist on PC probably sold below expectations due to giving it out like candy through Nvidia
thanks for that Ubisoft. Totally worth the price of free to see you going in the right direction but not fully back to classic Splinter Cell

Add that and the online situation and yeesh.

Derrick01

Banned
Maybe now they can go back to hardcore stealth in Splinter Cell now that they've given the action route 2 cracks and failed both times to make a dent in the market.

Bricky

Maybe now they can go back to hardcore stealth in Splinter Cell now that they've given the action route 2 cracks and failed both times to make a dent in the market.

Not that I've played it, but I hear it's actually a great stealth game. I think the problem lies in the fact it's marketed like an action game to attract 'the CoD audience', which results in no-one buying it because the audience they want doesn't give a shit about games like Splinter Cell.

NateDrake

I bought Rayman. What kind of expectations did they have for the game? Origins didn't really sell well until it was cheap.

Blacklist has way less action than Conviction (though, admittedly, more than the previous iterations.) I think they struck a good balance. Really enjoying it.

Derrick01

Banned
Not that I've played it, but I hear it's actually a great stealth game. I think the problem lies in the fact it's marketed like an action game to attract 'the CoD audience', which results in no-one buying it because the audience they want doesn't give a shit about games like Splinter Cell.

Everyone says every game that has basic stealth in it is a great stealth game. It happens with literally every recent game. I wouldn't ever place any value in what those people say.

merrick97

Banned
I really enjoyed Splinter Cell Blacklist.

It really was a return to form Splinter Cell

minus Michael Ironside and that sucked.

Durante

Rayman is a fantastic game, with a surprising amount of content and polish. It should sell well. (I did my part on PC)

The delay killed any hype that I had for Rayman (and I was hyped at one time).

I had very little to play back in February when it was scheduled to release and way too much to play now. I'll probably get it during the spring Steam sale though.

I know more than 10 people who skipped these games and many other Ubisoft games because of Uplay and I am pretty sure there are more of them out there.

Maybe it's time for you to rethink this DRM Ubisoft.

Ludist210

A shame Rayman didn't sell more. The game is packed with creativity and inspiration. They deserve better.
I agree (I bought it and beat it on Wii U, still go back for the challenges), but part of me feels like they hurt its chances for great sales with the delay from February to September even though it added more content. It didn't have anything to compete with on Wii U in February, whereas when it launched on all three consoles, it was competing with a lot of other titles (mainly GTAV launching in the same month).

This is why the Watch_Dogs delay bothers me so much. It was probably about to go gold (like Rayman Legends was) and then it got delayed for at least half a year (like Rayman Legends did).

Nairume

Banned
I'm not surprised at Rayman tanking, though it still is a bit of a pity. From what I can gather from the different leaderboards, the game barely broke half a million across all platforms and regions, if it even managed that.

Of course, they probably deserved it for releasing it at the worst possible time and burning a lot of potential customers that would have bought the game earlier in the year.

splinter cell is a dead ip at this point. it was cool when it was associated as a xbox exclusive back in the day, but now nobody cares about it

Malreyn

Did splinter cell sell poor due to lack of Ironside? Or sequelitis?

Personally, i never got into the series, having played the first one and just wasn't my thing....all other sequels i never touched because i felt like "they were sequels, go play number 1 first"

lyrick

Sorry Ubisoft, you made me wait an additional 6 months to have the chance to buy Rayman Legends, So I decided to wait 6 months after it was available to actually buy it.

I did rent it and it was enjoyable. You can anticipate my purchase sometime in March 2014.

Grisby

Bought both day 1.

And Blacklist was awesome, struck a real good balance between stealth and action. Tons of content too.

Derrick01

Banned
Did splinter cell sell poor due to lack of Ironside? Or sequelitis?

Personally, i never got into the series, having played the first one and just wasn't my thing....all other sequels i never touched because i felt like "they were sequels, go play number 1 first"

I doubt most people cared or even knew about Ironside not being there. There's just no interest in a watered down action/stealth-lite game when just about every action game nowadays implements stealth-lite elements.

How could Rayman do poorly? People told me that MS would compensate them for the free copies taken off XBL. That alone would be worth a few hundred thousand.

I am midway through SC and its a terrible SC game. And an average stealth game in general. Cold as it might sound I am ok with it doing poorly.

Nairume

Banned
How could Rayman do poorly? People told me that MS would compensate them for the free copies taken off XBL. That alone would be worth a few hundred thousand.
I imagine not that many people took advantage of the Rayman glitch on XBLA. Even if it were factored in, the 360 version only has about 80k players registered to the leaderboards.

I honestly want to buy Rayman to both show my support for Ancel and because I'm sure it'll be one of my favorite platformers ever. Unfortunately I don't have the money right now :(

Shinta

Banned
Loved Conviction, and Blacklist and bought both day one. Some of the most underrated stealth/action games ever made. Both of them.

Damn shame that people keep buying up Assassin's Creed instead, which couldn't include compelling stealth gameplay if the developers' lives depended on it.

Sojgat

I doubt most people cared or even knew about Ironside not being there. There's just no interest in a watered down action/stealth-lite game when just about every action game nowadays implements stealth-lite elements.

I tend to agree with a lot of what you have to say Derrick, but have you even played Blacklist?

Splintercell was there own fault for releasing in a WAY to crowed week.

Rayman is also there own fault for delay and releasing in the wrong time period.

Scrabble

As a long time Splinter Cell fan I don't understand the love Blacklist seems to be getting among people. I played and beat it, and it's no worthy successor to the early games, and especially not to Chaos Theory. It's too fast paced, there are way too many enemies, and the game ostensibly removed any bit of humor just for the sake of making something "super duper serious." If Blacklist is the direction they aimed to take the series than I'm glad it performed under expectations.

Tizoc

Can't access the link in the OP, seems it's blocked at work, but by my estimation wouldn't Rayman Legends have sold a total of 200,000 combined digital+retail across all platforms?

Kacho

Gold Member
Not surprised about Rayman. Releasing it in the fall when good games start dropping? Please. It would have bombed on the Wii U earlier this year too. They were screwed on that either way.

Shame about Blacklist though. I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

Top Bottom