• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell 'leaked' by Ubi (Up: Ubi claims it was a prank by creative directors)

Mista

Banned

According to this tweet from Julian a creative director at Ubisoft

Accidental? Intentional? I don’t care give it to me

Update: The announcement may not be as official as we once may have thought. Shortly after the initial tweet, Gerighty changed his profile picture and Twitter background to Splinter Cell imagery, then posted he might be in trouble due to his tweet, and to not retweet it

Ubisoft, however, says the whole "announcement" is a hoax. "Julian was obviously joking as Julian likes to do," the company said in a statement to Game Informer. "It looks like our creative directors are having fun right now. We do not have any announcements to make at this time."

Yeah right....

Last edited:

Verdanth

If this is legit I gotta say, people are so stupid for tweeting this things before hand.

Oh wait, everybody knows that already.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Just sounds like they're announcing all the IP's they're working on to show at E3, and they've dropped Splinter Cell in as a reveal. Not sire if they're just saying there will be a crossover with the Crew but unrelated?

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Just sounds like they're announcing all the IP's they're working on to show at E3, and they've dropped Splinter Cell in as a reveal. Not sire if they're just saying there will be a crossover with the Crew but unrelated?

Hah. "Please don't retweet, I might be in trouble". Good news if it's happening.

Belmonte

Will there be a Splinter Cell x R6: Siege crossover also?!

How cool would be if there is an assimetric mode on Siege, like Sam versus Rainbow 6? Or perhaps something like Metal Gear Online with two opposing teams and one Sam Fisher. Would love to play it!

When I play R6, I usually play Caveira to cosplay Sam Fisher. Let me be the original Ubisoft super agent!

Mista

Banned
Will there be a Splinter Cell x R6: Siege crossover also?!

How cool would be if there is an assimetric mode on Siege, like Sam versus Rainbow 6? Or perhaps something like Metal Gear Online with two opposing teams and one Sam Fisher. Would love to play it!

When I play R6, I usually play Caveira to cosplay Sam Fisher. Let me be the original Ubisoft super agent!
I like you. I played the hell out of Wildlands when they had the Siege event and then dropped it. Siege is love, Siege is life.

Mista

Banned
Adding this to the op:

Update: The announcement may not be as official as we once may have thought. Shortly after the initial tweet, Gerighty changed his profile picture and Twitter background to Splinter Cell imagery, then posted he might be in trouble due to his tweet, and to not retweet it

Ubisoft, however, says the whole "announcement" is a hoax. "Julian was obviously joking as Julian likes to do," the company said in a statement to Game Informer. "It looks like our creative directors are having fun right now. We do not have any announcements to make at this time."

Fbh

Would be nice but this is like the fifth E3 where everyone online is like "they are announcing it this year , it's like 99.9% confirmed "

And then nothing happens

HoldTheAir

I really hope they announce a new Splinter Cell. It's been far too long. I would love to see it released on Next Gen Hardware.

Paradicia

giphy.gif

Liamario

Banned
OP has gone a little overboard with the paraphrasing. Nowhere has Ubisoft denied the existence of the game nor called it a hoax. They said they've nothing to announce at this time.

Ozrimandias

Remaster Blacklist
Give a Pack with Blacklist and Conviction
Make a whole new Splinter Cell
Bring the first three Splinter Cell

i dont know, give us something Splinter Cell related......a new game would be awesome

Here is my take on it:

That Julian Gerighty guy might be working on a new Splinter Cell but I think the development has just begun. Yves Guillemot said 2 years in a row that they were looking at ideas and were in the process of picking one up soon. While Yves may very well have lied to us so we would stop pestering him about it, I have a feeling that he wasn't. That being said I'm pretty sure that Yves and the other higher ups in the company have heard about Julian's slip so if they really have nothing to announce at E3 about Splinter Cell, they know fully well that it will be met with disappointment so maybe the best case scenario is maybe some acknowledgment of a title really in development to avoir a "riot" so to speak and worst case scenario they just remain radio silent. Every other leaks or rumours are usually discarded as they don't even comment on them but since it came from an employee they had no choice but to react.

If they have something planned for E3 then all that really happened is an ultra major slip and Julian really ruined the surprise Ubisoft hoped to achieve with a Splinter Cell announcement...but even if he hadn't said anything, we're all hoping for a new splinter cell every year anyway so I would presume most of us would watch the conference anyway or read online for updates.

If they don't have anything planned for E3, now that's a whole other ball game. Julian really did something unforgivable in my opinion and should not be interpreted as a good joke. It really doesn't matter that a Ubisoft PR employee said it was a joke because people are already interpreting in different ways:
  • That damn Julian toyed with out emotions, that bastard!
  • Hmmm...is this a marketing stunt to get our attention...cuz Ubi, you definitely have it now!
  • Is Julian really working on the new Splinter Cell but is way early in development and alcohol got the best of him and he felt the need to share?
All eyes will be on them now and Julian will only have given us an opportunity to have expectations regardless of what other people are saying about it being a joke because we are all goddamn curious anyway so Ubisoft will only have one option....leave us disappointed. And the irony is that it won't even be their fault, it'll be Julian's fault for playing with us and they can't get out of that hole. At this point, only a splinter cell announcement or an apology for spreading false information will appease us...I think.

What about you?

Top Bottom