• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Movie Gets a New Writer and Tom Hardy Still Attached

Deadline is now reporting that MAD MAX star Tom Hardy is still indeed connected to play the lead character in the film Sam Fisher, a deadly special operative who carries out black op missions for the special operations and counter-terrorism unit, Echelon. Also, Ubisoft has just brought on screenwriter Frank John Hughes to write a brand new draft for the film following drafts turned in by Oscar-nominated writers Eric Warren Singer (American Hustle) and Sheldon Turner (Up in the Air, X-Men: First Class).

Frank John Hughes is normally an actor, but has written two small movies which were Dark Tourist and Leave.

Source
Splinter Cell Movie in the Works

Durden77

Lol I remember the teaser for this showing up in what was it Chaos Theory? Like almost 10 years ago?

Video game movies have the funniest development hells. And the worst part is when they usually finally release they're shit.

Fury451

Banned
In for Hardy. New writer doesn't seem promising though.

Would've loved to see Clooney do this about 10 years ago.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
This poor franchise.

The original was one of the most surprising games of the generation, and Chaos Theory is one of the best games of all time.

Then Conviction was dog shit.

But, somehow, Blacklist turned out to be unexpectedly good. Wasn't as great as the original or Chaos Theory, but a good game nonetheless.

But i think I heard it sold like shit. Who knows what's left for Sam and company :-(

You go from Oscar nominated writers to a shitty writer. Why? Also, liman is apparently still attached to direct, so hell probably shred it to pieces or leave.

Razorback

Is the name Splinter Cell really going to get asses in seats?

I guess they really want to make a Tom Hardy action spy movie vehicle, and rather than coming up with something new they figured some brand recognition is better than nothing.

God knows they can't be adapting it because of the story, it's basically just an empty template to insert spy stuff in.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why is double agent never brought up?

Is it considered bad? I thought it was pretty good
What a lot of people don't know is that there were two versions of DOuble Agent that were completely different games. I mean completely different. Different levels. Some different characters. The version most people are familiar with is the version on 360, PS3 and PC. However, the version released on Xbox/PS2 is to many the superior version since it is basically Chaos Theory 2.0. Both version are worth playing but the Xbox/PS2 version is easily my preferred version.

I haven't played a Splinter Cell game, but would there be a lot for someone to come up with? In the vid Schnepp only mentioned the game mechanics and not the story specifically.

Edit:
Is the name Splinter Cell really going to get asses in seats?

I guess they really want to make a Tom Hardy action spy movie vehicle, and rather than coming up with something new they figured some brand recognition is better than nothing.

God knows they can't be adapting it because of the story, it's basically just an empty template to insert spy stuff in.

Oh well, I guess this answered my question.

Has there been any good video game movies? (Resident Evil series aside (which aren't all that good imho)

The first Silent Hill is good and extremely faithful to the source material. And Mortal Kombat is amazing, despite obviously being shite. Then there's the Warcraft movie which is probably going to be great, and, um, I think that's about it...

Trup1aya

I don't see what the hold up is... Movies about stealthy spies have been done before...

What is it about being attatched to a video game that makes developing movies so difficult...

Top Bottom