• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Remake game director David Grivel, has left Ubisoft after 11 years

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After more than 11 years at Ubisoft, it is now time for me to go on a new adventure.

11 years is a long time and summing it up in one post is quasi-impossible but I must say, I’ve been lucky. Lucky to work with so many great people over the years. Made so many friends.

From Ubisoft Paris (Ghost Recon Future Soldier), to Ubisoft Toronto (Splinter Cell Blacklist, Assassin’s Creed Unity, Far Cry Primal, 5, 6 and Splinter Cell Remake), I’ve had the opportunity to work on many franchises that I love as a gamer.

And so, I want to give a heartfelt thank you to everyone I worked with at Ubisoft and say “au revoir”. This is not "adieu" for ours is a small industry so I’m looking forward to our paths crossing again in the future.

As for what that new adventure is? Stay tuned :)

David G

Roni

Gold Member
game directors shouldn't have to change during development. it's the top position in the design department... if he got a better offer, Ubisoft should've matched it.

yurinka

This is what I thought.

game directors shouldn't have to change during development. it's the top position in the design department... if he got a better offer, Ubisoft should've matched it.
The game director directs the whole game development team, not the design department. In this case it's only a remake, won't be an issue to replace him.

This thing's never coming out, anyway didn't they want to rewrite for "modern" audiences ? What the fuck that even means 💩
I wish him the best, but is it coincidence that as soon as the game gets announced and it’s for “modern audiences”, the game director leaves after 11 years? Now I have even less confidence in this so-called remake.
I assume they meant that the game is 20 years old so it must feel outdated in many visual and gameplay areas, so will update it to the modern standards.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
not like this GIF

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s time for a new splinter cell on paper it should stomp metal gear hitman unfortunately it’s stuck under UBITRASH.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I loved Splinter Cell games (especially the original trilogy), but I keep reminding myself this is modern Ubisoft focused on trying to appease teenagers and the twitter crowd (and to inject microtransactions whenever possible). Don't get excited because you'll only get disappointed.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It means the main character is no longer Sam Fisher, them/they are now Samantha Fisher.

I would be ok with this. Ironside sounds too old to do the voice now, and it doesn't really feel like Sam Fisher without him. Maybe Sam could take the place of the commander character like Lambert.

Last edited:
Some people put way too much weight into the role of game directors - games are made by teams of people.

Assuming they (Ubi) have good talent management initiatives, this won't make much of a difference to the end product.

This is what I thought.

The game director directs the whole game development team, not the design department. In this case it's only a remake, won't be an issue to replace him.

I assume they meant that the game is 20 years old so it must feel outdated in many visual and gameplay areas, so will update it to the modern standards.
I’m hoping you are correct, but I actually heard they are looking for someone new to rewrite the script to the story to bring it up to modern times which to me is suspicious and even worrying. I don’t see anything wrong with Splinter Cell’s story and it has a fairly diverse cast of characters already. I’ve heard this modern audience talk before and it seemingly leads to worst results or unnecessary changes. Look what happened with Saint’s Row, DOA6, Mortal Kombat 11 or Battlefield 5 for example. We’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

yurinka

I’m hoping you are correct, but I actually heard they are looking for someone new to rewrite the script to the story to bring it up to modern times which to me is suspicious and even worrying. I don’t see anything wrong with Splinter Cell’s story and it has a fairly diverse cast of characters already. I’ve heard this modern audience talk before and it seemingly leads to worst results or unnecessary changes. Look what happened with Saint’s Row, DOA6, Mortal Kombat 11 or Battlefield 5 for example. We’ll see what happens.
I assume that by to adapt the game to modern audiences they only meant what we know as making a remake. To keep mostly the same story, structure and characters but to update basically visuals and mechanics to release it in modern platforms.

Ubisoft was one of the first big publishers pushing the woke stuff and introducing 'diversity' on their characters (I remember The Division 1 as one of the first ones), but I don't think they'll change Splinter Cell on that side, or at least too much.

I don't think they'll turn Sam Fisher on a fat, purple haired black lesbian granny or something like that.

Then they would've worded it "modern technology" instead of "modern audiences".
The people who buy games for the modern technology are these modern audiences. The people who buy games today.

Tencent on Ubisoft acquisition:
Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF
Tencent recently doubled their Ubisoft stocks, gave the Guillemots money to buy themselves more stocks and get control of their company and signed that won't buy more Ubisoft stocks in 8 years.

Tencent didn't want to buy Ubisoft, and in fact did help to secure Ubisoft from being bought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom