• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell's comeback will offer "some new type of experiences, but more on different devices", promises Ubisoft

Helios

In recent years, Ubisoft has been more transparent in justifying Splinter Cell's hiatus, explaining that it's a matter of finding the right time and team for the beloved Tom Clancy property, but - thankfully - the publisher has confirmed that a new Splinter Cell project of some sort is currently being worked on.
Indeed, in a recent interview with Gamersky, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot teased that Sam Fisher's return to video games might not be in the form of a traditional, blockbuster release, but instead offer "some new type of experiences, but more on different devices."

"We are working a little bit on the brand today to come back at one point", continued Guillemot. "We can’t say when, because, as you know, it takes time. But each time we have to find the right experience to come back big."

ruvikx

Banned
That doesn't sound good at all. The whole "some new type of experiences, but more on different devices" is literal code word for pile of crap in game publisher jargon. I get their problem, i.e. creating a cinematic, linear stealth game with all the bells & whistles expected today would probably be a huge time & money investment they're unwilling to make but if this comeback disrespects the fans, Ubisoft will be shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited:
Translation: "We're making some shitty mobile game but we're still going to to hype it up."
giphy.gif

brap

Banned
Some of you guys need to stop clinging to the past. The old games will always be there for you to play. Embrace the new experiences.

Damn you Ubisoft. I played nice. I bought some of your normie simulators. Heck, I even enjoy Far Cry like legit. And this is how you treat me? Splinter Cell is the one series you have that have reached some legendary levels. Don't EA this, just give us a solid SC experience. If you want me to grovel, you can put "time savers" in it. I don't care. I just want to silently skulk around like a goddamn ninja.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Some of you guys need to stop clinging to the past. The old games will always be there for you to play. Embrace the new experiences.
I can't play spy vs mercs on any of the old games either because the BC version doesn't have servers or ones like Blacklist is dead.

Ubisoft can embrace deez nuts if we can't get a proper entry. They've already done a SC mobile game

Last edited:

Romulus

Facebook has reportedly signed an exclusive deal to put Splinter Cell and Assassin’s Creedgames on its Oculus virtual reality headsets. The Information reported the news this morning, although it didn’t offer much detail about what those games would look like. The titles are apparently part of a larger push to acquire studios and back exclusive games, something Oculus has been doing on a smaller scale for some time.

Related to the OP???

Last edited:

Roufianos

Ugh, the dream's over. Only positive is at least now I don't have to suffer through any more Ubi conferences.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

giphy.gif

Best case scenario: Some VR game
Worst case scenario (and most likely): Mobile crap

Last edited:

Paasei

Sounds like a horribe idea already. More devices and a different experience? I just want a stealth game, nothing more, nothing less. How hard can it be?

Shifty

Please look forward to Sam Fisher sneaking his way onto your mobile phone in the near future.

Fuck sake, every time someone from an AAA studio says 'devices' in a vague context you know it's time to worry.

Vawn

Banned

Embrace crappy touch-screen cell phone games where the entire game is designed around finding ways to tempt you to consistently spend real-life money?

yurinka

"some new type of experiences, but more on different devices" sounds like the next 2 Splinter Cell games are going to be one for VR and another for mobile.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Even if they make a new blockbuster Splinter Cell game, it'll end up like ghost recon, a dull open world stealth game, where you have to clear outposts and generic dude bro villains to unlock the final villain because despite enjoying some of their games, it has become rather puke inducing the way they refuse to focus on story rather than big maps filled with activities.

Reactions: RSB
I'll stick to the first three games thank you very much. I'm incredibly tired of milked out franchises. Respect the legacy, and let it rest.

I don't get it, did recent SC games sell poorly? I have loved all of them, and always thought they offered the best stealth experience ever created in a video game. WTF, so they are making a mobile game, great.

SALMORE

Am not too upset about , i enjoyed the original Trilogy & i think they did everything they could with the series , Stealth games became outdated

Helios

I don't get it, did recent SC games sell poorly? I have loved all of them, and always thought they offered the best stealth experience ever created in a video game. WTF, so they are making a mobile game, great.
I remember hearing Blacklist sold well but I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that true stealth games are somewhat niche?

That almost kinna confirms it that this new SC joint cooking behind the scenes on next gen Scarlet..its scary to think how freaking amazing this will look.

SC will be a block-buster cookie-cutter action game and open world snorefest.

Does any one think that people have the talent, skill and patience to make or play a true stealth game? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Imagine the MTX; want to skip this section? Just £5!

93xfan

Banned
SC will be a block-buster cookie-cutter action game and open world snorefest.

Does any one think that people have the talent, skill and patience to make or play a true stealth game? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Imagine the MTX; want to skip this section? Just £5!

I was just thinking about how good Metal Gear Solid played as an open world game in MGS5...

Wouldn’t mind something similar to that.

Barakov

Gold Member
I'll continue to hope for a new SC game with stealth until then I'll just assume it's a crappy mobile game of a TPS with Sam Fisher in it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mobile games struggle to maintain AAA status, and I'm not convinced gamers, even casual gamers take them seriously. Splinter Cell is a franchise that gamers have probably seen enough, but you have to allow developers a chance to create a new Splinter Cell with today's tech.

Top Bottom