• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splitscreen Gaming on PC or Why the Fuck Do Devs Ignore This

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why the fuck do devs leave out split-screen gaming on PC? They already have all the code in place from the console versions yet they consistently go through the effort of removing it. Plenty of people have controllers, and all you need is one in addition to the keyboard. And it's not even just that. On PC they don't have to optimize shit and make it look shitty in split-screen. Right now I am enjoying Blur in split-screen with my brother in 1080p, 8x AA, at 60 fps. I have two comfy reclining chairs in my room, a 42in Panny plasma, and two 360 pads. It feels fucking fantastic and looks incredible.

Some games of recent that dropped this feature on PC for no reason that I would have enjoyed are:
-Borderlands
-Left 4 Dead 1/2
-Call of Duty: Black Ops
-Splinter Cell: Conviction
-Kane & Lynch 2 (played the first one with my bro with a MKB/360 pad)
-Resident Evil 5
-etc. etc.

Here is Blur on PC. Devs should stop being assholes and give us this shit.

blur2010-11-2802-55-109fqu.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
When I saw code back in L4D1 for this I wondered myself.

Running dual monitors with 2 people would be sick as well. No screen looking! :lol

Tabris

It's because it's assumed that most of the market are playing on small monitors at a small computer desk. Which is most likely true.

While most everyone is running consoles on a larger tv with a couch or a couple chairs for friends to play with.

PC gaming is considered online, LAN party or solo play only.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tabris said:
It's because it's assumed that most of the market are playing on small monitors at a small computer desk. Which is most likely true.
The work is already done. Why not leave the option in?

Tabris

Stallion Free said:
The work is already done. Why not leave the option in?

If there was 0 development costs associated with having the feature on PC it would be there but even if there is only fractional costs to have it in there, then it's not worth it as most of the market will not want to buy the game for that feature.

confused

Banned
To be honest, I fucking hate splitscreen on consoles AND PC. For some reason it always turns the visuals to shit(dimensions, viewing angles and small screen), and being a graphicswhore that shit is just unacceptable (Plus I have no friends)

onken

Yeah would be great, I have no idea why they don't do it. I mean obviously, you only have 1 kb/m setup usually but with predominately joypad based games I don't see why not.

Stallion Free said:
Right now I am enjoying Blur in split-screen with my brother in 1080p, 8x AA, at 60 fps. I have two comfy reclining chairs in my room, a 42in Panny plasma, and two 360 pads. It feels fucking fantastic and looks incredible.

I hate this abbreviation so much. Is it connected to your lappy?

onken said:
Yeah would be great, I have no idea why they don't do it. I mean obviously, you only have 1 kb/m setup usually but with predominately joypad based games I don't see why not.

I hate this abbreviation so much. Is it connected to your lappy?
I have a lappy hooked up to my sammy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
confused said:
To be honest, I fucking hate splitscreen on consoles AND PC. For some reason it always turns the visuals to shit(dimensions, viewing angles and small screen), and being a graphicswhore that shit is just unacceptable (Plus I have no friends)
Your first reasons are limits of consoles.

PC doesn't have those limits (surprise options!) and dual monitors would be fantastic.

Feep

Banned
Yeah, devs are "assholes" for not spending their precious time and money to work on a feature that 1 in 500 people are going to use. Nothing is "already there"; codepaths need to be modified and thoroughly QA'ed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Feep said:
Yeah, devs are "assholes" for not spending their precious time and money to work on a feature that 1 in 500 people are going to use. Nothing is "already there"; codepaths need to be modified and thoroughly QA'ed.
Oh, I'm sorry I expect the same feature set that is present on the consoles. Excuse my entitlement. If this is about cutting costs, than they would drop it from the console versions too. They require much more effort to get it working (performance/graphical cuts). They don't have to QA shit on PC since no one will supposedly use this feature anyways.

Have you ever tried sharing a keyboard to play a game... not fun.

Plain and simple I assume most developers don't implement it because the hardware to support it isn't there.

WEGGLES

les papillons sexuels said:

Plain and simple I assume most developers don't implement it because the hardware to support it isn't there.
You can use controllers on PCs.

And sharing a keyboard for Head Rush wasn't terrible. :lol

vertopci

Yea, because PC doesn't have access to EVERY SINGLE FUCKING controller out there right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Holy shit. Are you severely ignorant?

Shambles

Hazaro said:

PC doesn't have those limits (surprise options!) and dual monitors would be fantastic.

Unless eyefinity handles displays different Windows changed the way it handles display drivers with the release of Vista that fucks you attempting to split screen across two displays. Since Vista we can no longer have our desktop span both display where a splitscreen would equally divide the screen, we now can only 'span' the display across the two screens whereas only one monitor will handle the full screen application. Someone please correct me if there are features in the newest GPUs that changes this. I learned this attempted to splitscreen L4D across two displays a long time ago and it really pisses me off. Some people might have luck playing in windows mode in a custom resolution that spans both monitors but I have had no luck getting that to work. And if you have two different size monitors you're really fucked.

vertopci said:
Yea, because PC doesn't have access to EVERY SINGLE FUCKING controller out there right?

yeah, and it's packaged in with every PC you purchase /s. I know of 2 people who actually own gamepads for the PC, just because they exist doesn't mean people buy or use them.

Stallion Free said:
Holy shit. Are you severely ignorant?
of you... yes.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't know why they make split screen games for consoles, either. They only come with one controller!

Shambles

yeah, and it's packaged in with every PC you purchase /s. I know of 2 people who actually own gamepads for the PC, just because they exist doesn't mean people buy or use them.

of you... yes.

You only know of two people with 360's or PS3's? Best to just hide in the shadows than drag this further out into the light.

Feep said:
Your last sentence is a ridiculous. You want them to include splitscreen, but not to QA it, because no one will use it? Have fun with your inoperable buggy piece of shit. If a dev is going to include a feature, it needs to be QA'ed. End of story.

Shit, if what we get on consoles and PC are what devs commitment to QA is, having no QA probably isn't much worse.

Feep

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Oh, I'm sorry I expect the same feature set that is present on the consoles. Excuse my entitlement. If this is about cutting costs, than they would drop it from the console versions too. They require much more effort to get it working (performance/graphical cuts). They don't have to QA shit on PC since no one will supposedly use this feature anyways.
You expect the same feature set? Should console devs put in support for USB keyboard and mouse controls? No. Because no one's going to use it. They include the feature in consoles because they know a large userbase is going to utilize that feature, but there's no sense in spending hundreds of manhours and thousands of dollars (even if that cost is a fraction of the cost spent to originally develop it) because the inherent value just isn't there. No one, except for you, really cares.

Your last sentence is a ridiculous. You want them to include splitscreen, but not to QA it, because no one will use it? Have fun with your inoperable buggy piece of shit. If a dev is going to include a feature, it needs to be QA'ed. End of story.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

These two people are, in fact, the only humans in the galaxy with pads for their PC's. To top it off, they don't even fucking use them :(

The true question here should be that why aren't there any softwares when it comes it gaming where it recognizes two mouse, keyboards and/or monitors and assign them different slots similar to controllers?

That should be the first step to bringing split-screen gaming.

Momo

Banned
morningbus said:
I don't know why they make split screen games for consoles, either. They only come with one controller!
Honestly speaking, good console split screen has too been few and far between this gen

C.Dark.DN

Banned
can you use two keyboard and mice?
can you use two gamepads?

if yes, then they should

i think there should be a rise in computers connected to HDTV. there's a thread on page one about PC vs consoles when PC can act as a console.

vocab

LOL

Wallach

I would guess Blur left it in because it is trivial to implement on PC, even from a QA standpoint, if you're committed to having it on the other platforms.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Shambles said:
Unless eyefinity handles displays different Windows changed the way it handles display drivers with the release of Vista that fucks you attempting to split screen across two displays. Since Vista we can no longer have our desktop span both display where a splitscreen would equally divide the screen, we now can only 'span' the display across the two screens whereas only one monitor will handle the full screen application. Someone please correct me if there are features in the newest GPUs that changes this. I learned this attempted to splitscreen L4D across two displays a long time ago and it really pisses me off. Some people might have luck playing in windows mode in a custom resolution that spans both monitors but I have had no luck getting that to work. And if you have two different size monitors you're really fucked.
I was hoping that you could horizontal split by running fullscreen across two.

Oh well.

IrishNinja

Momo said:
Honestly speaking, good console split screen has too been few and far between this gen

for real. Wii's got it, some PSN/XBLA have it, but on the systems proper...EDF and Borderlands come to mind. ditching local MP is indeed kinda bullshit.

I was coming in to make a satirical post about PCs not being hooked up to the TV and having to share your keyboard but it looks like I was beaten by reality.

confused

Banned
Hazaro said:

As pointed out, sadly that's not true. Even on Pc's you'll have the same limitations and your screen will be split into some kind of weird 16:4 or 8:9 apect ratio that totally fucks up how the game looks. Here's how BLUR is supossed to look :
BlurPC1080p_0011.jpg.jpg

Now tell me that splitscreen shot doesn't look considerably worse/

animlboogy said:
That last reason would be why you really don't care.

I wish for this constantly. I've been playing PC games hotseat since I was a little kid. It's natural to me. Split-screen just makes it that much more awesome. Knowing that Blur has this is really making me regret missing it in sale recently. I'll probably grab it full price just for this.

HTPCs do most things consoles do, and everything else. As consoles get more like PCs, and more people just go for the real thing, I hope developer support will follow for features like this.

Even when playing splitscreen with my brother I detest it, even on a 50" Plasma. I love PC gaming, but splitscreen has little place here due to the ease of setting up a lan/network game. I'd much prefer to Lan with my brother while playing our favorite game over splitscreen.

In other words splitscreen isn't implemented on PC as much due to being surpassed on many levels.

jediyoshi

confused said:
Even on Pc's you'll have the same limitations

:lol

Also, that is one old ass downsampled screenshot. That's why it doesn't look like that.

Edit: Way to ninja edit, though even you must realize how little a difference there is between the shot you have up and the OP.

In other words splitscreen isn't implemented on PC as much due to being surpassed on many levels.

alternatives != improvements

C.Dark.DN

Banned
confused said:
As pointed out, sadly that's not true. Even on Pc's you'll have the same limitations and your screen will be split into some kind of weird 16:4 or 8:9 apect ratio that totally fucks up how the game looks.

Even when playing splitscreen with my brother I detest it, even on a 50" Plasma. I love PC gaming, but splitscreen has little place here due to the ease of setting up a lan/network game. I'd much prefer to Lan with my brother while playing our favorite game over splitscreen.

Not liking split screen on consoles or PC is your person preference.

It has use. Problem is you need a second 500-1000 system. I could see my and my sister, a girl who ONLY plays The Sims alone and would never buy a gaming PC, doing split screen gaming on my 50 inch TV and my gaming PC. Also, you can't connect two systems to one TV. Me playing a low spec requirement game on my TV or superior LCD monitor while she's on a tiny notebook PC screen sitting next to me is lame. I don't like a friend having a lesser experience.

confused

Banned
jediyoshi said:
:lol

Also, that is one old ass downsampled screenshot. That's why it doesn't look like that. Edit: Way to ninja edit, though even you must realize how little a difference there is between the shot you have up and the OP.

Noticed that, too. Changed the pic to something more representative. Also, they do have the same limitation and that is available screen property.

There's little to no demand for this, even console games don't generally have split screen mode these days. So they don't bother putting it out.

Prime crotch said:
There's little to no demand for this, even console games don't generally have split screen mode these days. So they don't bother putting it out.

One could argue the lack of split screen gaming on consoles is due to the rise of PC developers migrating PC style games to consoles while not taking console norms and traditions under consideration.

It's just one of many reasons this generation of consoles blow so much ass.

Durante

I agree. I wouldn't want a lot of dev effort to be spent on the feature but if it's already in the console version there's just no reason to take it out.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I remember spending hours and hours in Golden Axe with my friends. We were playing with keyboard.

I wish there were more coop slashers.

The Take Out Bandit said:
One could argue the lack of split screen gaming on consoles is due to the rise of PC developers migrating PC style games to consoles while not taking console norms and traditions under consideration.

It's just one of many reasons this generation of consoles blow so much ass.
I would say it's more related to the increasing importance given to closed online services on consoles. Just to plug a second controller on the 360 is a chore.

speculawyer said:
Because 0.3% of buyers use it.
Wrong. Just cause split-screen gaming isn't out there for PC doesn't mean that people won't use it. Implement it well and I'll use it every day. Every time I go to my friend's place, we take turns in Battlefield or other PC titles. If there was properly implemented split-screen in PC gaming, everyone will be over it. Hell, I'll move my PC into my living room just to get 60fps, 1080p split-screen gaming.

I've always adored split-screen gaming on PC whenever it's available (lately: Ms. Pac-man via google and Audiosurf).

Top Bottom