• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Metal Gear Solid V Spoiler Thread | Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Femto.

I mean, where else is there to really go with Huey at that point?

I was just using him as an example, maybe not the best one to use.

I would have loved more between Mantis and Eli though. This game needed one more Chapter, Mission 51, and it's lame how ch 2 is crammed with the harder versions of previous missions.

Fuck Konami.

Either way it would have been too ridiculous for Metal Gear even.

That's actually a plotpoint of MG2? The world has gone nuke free?

Of all the things to retcon this would be my #1.
Yeah, MG2 had some pie in the sky stuff about a nuke free world happening in 1999 (the Soviet Union is still around too because it was written before it dissolved) and that's why Zanzibarland is so scary: they're using Metal Gear to raid nearby nation's disarmament facilities and steal what little is left.

Obviously, later games would either ignore this or merely claim that ZL was stealing material from nukes disarmed as part of treaties, not a global disarmament movement.

I think it was retconned as early as MGS1's text recaps of the first two games.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Why the shit can't I capture a stupid African bullfrog? I have 10s of Tsuchinokos and still can't get a stupid frog.

Glass

Living in hype culture, its kind of unique for a game to stay as interesting and intriguing after its been released. I guess its for the worst possible reason, but leave it to a MGS game to do exactly that.

Astarte

Then commits suicide in the family pool while attempting to take Emma Emmerich with him after his wife has an affair with his son, Hal.

The thought of him crying as he wheels himself and his stepdaughter into the pool is hilarious

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The missing link between MGSV and Metal Gear

th

Discover what Kaz and Code Talker did with their hamburgana dreams. Discover that "Big Boss" created "Mondo Burger" and is the reason the two had their final falling out.

Femto.

Living in hype culture, its kind of unique for a game to stay as interesting and intriguing after its been released. I guess its for the worst possible reason, but leave it to a MGS game to do exactly that.

I think it wouldn't be as bad if this wasn't the last true MGS.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So has anyone completed the game 100% yet?

Yes. At least one person got the platinum and that was days ago. It took long because for 100% you need

- All S ranks
- All Side Ops
- All mission objectives
- All animals captured

Why the shit can't I capture a stupid African bullfrog? I have 10s of Tsuchinokos and still can't get a stupid frog.

Wait, there are Tsuchinokos in this game?

The missing link between MGSV and Metal Gear

th

Discover what Kaz and Code Talker did with their hamburgana dreams. Discover that "Big Boss" created "Mondo Burger" and is the reason the two had their final falling out.

The way Kaz fucks with burger colors and shit, he is totally the CEO of Mondo Burger, not Big Boss.

Venom Fox

Banned
Does it? I didnt see that in the guide.
Sorry it was off the guide on gamefaqs. I got mixed up lol.

The Demon System determines certain factors of the appearance of Venom Snake, the player can gain or lose Demon Points by performing certain actions; once the player acquires enough Demon Points, they will increase their Demon Level, which will trigger a cutscene and enlarge Snake's Shrapnel-horn. Sadly, there isn't any sort of indication in-game that tells the player exactly how many Demon Points they currently have, their only clue as to how much they may have is the current size of Snake's horn.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
hopefully someone unlocks the Solid Snake rendered in FOX Engine model.

Then commits suicide in the family pool while attempting to take Emma Emmerich with him after his wife has an affair with his son, Hal.

I keep seeing people claim this and I'm drawing a blank. Where in Otacon's explanation is this stated? I thought she just almost drowned because the was trying to save him, not because he was trying to take her down with him.

Is that video real cut content or something that has to be activated if everyone disarms?

After PT(and him being disaapointed it was solved so fast)I'd believe Kojima would do something that dumb, locking an ending behind something he knows damn well will likely never happen.

Femto.

In my eyes this game will be a broken masterpiece, in a poetic sense.

Kojima and Konami's relationship went to crap way before this game released.

The finished product is what Kojima was able to salvage from that broken relationship.

I by no means hate the game, I loved playing it as the gameplay is phenomenal. It just pains me to see how the internal drama obviously affected what we got in the end.

Sorry it was off the guide on gamefaqs. I got mixed up lol.

The Demon System determines certain factors of the appearance of Venom Snake, the player can gain or lose Demon Points by performing certain actions; once the player acquires enough Demon Points, they will increase their Demon Level, which will trigger a cutscene and enlarge Snake's Shrapnel-horn. Sadly, there isn't any sort of indication in-game that tells the player exactly how many Demon Points they currently have, their only clue as to how much they may have is the current size of Snake's horn.

Mine went down to medium because I extracted a lot of animals >.<

Shy

I think a nice little touch with the Paz tapes would have been for the last one to fizzle out in the end and then when you replay them it's all static.
I had a similar idea.
But the way i thought you could do it is, instead of Paz, it would be chico. And when you listen to the tape where they talk about happened to Amanda, and it gets to the part where they mention Chico dying it would be garbled until you finished the storyline.
When you go back and listen to it, it's completely clear and you hear that Chico died on the chopper.

Venom Fox

Banned
I can't believe there was no badass Ocelot revolver twirling tricks in MGSV. That alone proves this game isn't canon.
The game isn't canon anyway.

The game is MGSV not MGS5. It's a spinoff, I thought determined that it was all made up and BB dreamt it while he was comatose, that's why the truth cutscene takes place at dawn (5:59am)?

Shauni

Hal smangs Huey's wife over the sounds of Huey drowning.

Revenge is a dish best served cold indeed, Venom Snake.

Probably should replace Venom Snake with Miller. I kind of got the impression that Snake didn't hate Huey, maybe even had doubts about all the claims, since he let him go. Miller, though, hated him. But Miller hated everyone in this game. I'm surprised he didn't talk about killing DD when he was brought to MB.

Alienous

The game is MGSV not MGS5. It's a spinoff, I thought determined that it was all made up and BB dreamt it while he was comatose, that's why the truth cutscene takes place at dawn (5:59am)?

This man speaks the truth.

&#332;kami;178554281 said:
Spinning your gun brings no tactical advantage.

Getting a sexual stimulation by reloading your firearm gives you no tactical advantage whatsoever.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Probably should replace Venom Snake with Miller. I kind of got the impression that Snake didn't hate Huey, maybe even had doubts about all the claims, since he let him go. Miller, though, hated him. But Miller hated everyone in this game. I'm surprised he didn't talk about killing DD when he was brought to MB.
"I hate kids."

*Cane slap*

Foffy

Banned
Does this cut content end the game on a better note than how it ends? I only know of Mission 51 and now this cut video, and from dome are saying, this cut video offers a better finality than the game actually does.

Palpable

He twirls his Mateba or whatever when he hands one over to Quiet to shoot past the helicopter blades.

Yeah, that doesn't count. That was a half-assed twirl.

Indeed you are correct, sir. It's too bad we won't ever get a real MGS5.

If Konami comes out with an MGS5, then everyone will refer to this game as "MGS VEE"

Gvitor

Finished mission 45 and the game.

Disclaimer: this will be a long post. I don't know if anyone will care for it, and I'm sure parts of it, if not all, were already discussed, but I just need to vent out. Here it goes.

God, this game has so many problems. Most, if not all of them, comes from it being basically Peace Walker 2 and an open world game.

The Peace Walker structure is awful. I gave it a pass in PW because that was portable. TPP isn't. The TBCs are ridiculous and break the pacing of a game that already has shit pacing to begin with. The PW structure hurts the narrative, hurts immersion and with these stupid TBCs, waste the player's time (going back to ACC then listening to Miller then going back to mission plus loading times). Alas, wasting the player's time is the thing this game does the best.

And that's mostly due to it being open world. I played Mad Max at a friend's house this past weekend. I barely got any time with it, but the overworld there seemed to be a desert with barely anything in it, and it still had more stuff than MGSV. But most of all, it was fun to traverse. Afghanistan and Africa aren't. One is chock-full of mountains blocking the way and the other is a less mountainous, more green version of the first. Transportation is awful, and Pequod almost always leaves you far away from the LZs. Worse than that, before the mission starts you don't even know where the mission is. Sometimes you can deduce from Miller's monologue or from the mission description, but not always. I had to guess the closest LZ. Not that it really mattered, since missions tend to make you traverse the world while in them as well. You can't even fully be safe by choosing DD or Quiet at the start of the mission, because if you end up far away, you'll have to change to another buddy. Or do everything in foot. Hell, you might need to do it even if you do start close to the mission, since as I said, missions have you going around. The "target's predicted route" ones are the worst in that regard.

The story isn't great (more on that later), but the narrative is the worse of the two, in my opinion. Again, that's because it follows PW's structure. It's filled with... well, fillers. To the point of the ridiculous. In the beginning I gave it a pass because the gameplay is great and the level design of the scattered villages and whatnots are good, but the fillers overstayed their welcome for so long that eventually I just wished the game would end. Chapter 2 gets ridiculous with this. All of the main missions (with exception of the last one and the Quiet one, but the latter starts as a side) are fillers. They are even more useless than the ones in Chapter 1, somehow. All of the main story-related missions are side quests or happen in MB. They did that to extend the gameplay time in a game that was already too big for its own good. If it was the reverse, and stuff like "rescue the children" and "get the remains of the man on fire" was Main Missions and the random stuff was side-quest, I (and many others, I'd assume) would skip on them entirely.

That hurts the narrative, the overall story impact (even though it's mostly bad anyway), and the game's pace in general. Speaking of lenghtening the game and forcing stupid missions, the rehashed missions in Chapter 2 are just ridiculous. Your options are either to do them or to do random side-quests, so either they stop being "side" quests or you have to play the game again in hard mode. That is a ridiculous design philosophy and the only excuse I can come up with as to why this ended up this way is that the game was rushed and they had to cut content but keep the same time necessary to end the game. I had no desire to them to the point I'd rather capture legendary brown bears (even though I didn't do most of the side-missions before that point, with the exception of the Paz-related ones). So to end it up the game shoves down my throat an exact replica of the first mission. I didn't skip a single cutscene afraid they'd add stuff to them (like they did at the start), but nope. Almost an hour playing that slow-as-fuck mission again.

Another reason I believe this game is rushed is that some of tapes (a lot of them, actually) feel like they had to be in the game. Instead they're... optional? This is the guy who made us sit through hours of cutscenes in MGS4. Sure, he could've learned some lessons, but this is some change. If some of those tapes were actually cutscenes, and some fillers have been cut, it would help the game lots.

Aaaand, the checkpoints. My god they are broken. I can't seriously tell how they work. They seem to pop up whenever they feel like. Some awful experiences:

1) A filler mission where I had to extract some random prisoner: I checkpointed 100m from the place the prisoner was. I then quickly got there, fultoned him, went to the chopper, but some dudes in Walkers saw me and blasted me out of the sky. The checkpoint then resets to the start of the mission. Worst, when I get back where the dude was, it doesn't checkpoint me 100m from him, and there are already some guys in a vehicle there extracting him.

2) Traitor's caravan: It has a predicted enemy route. I walked that ENTIRE ROUTE and didn't find the goddamn truck. I interrogated several men along the way and they all said "nope, it didn't pass through here". If I had to guess, I spent almost an hour looking for it before Miller finally called and said "hey, it's almost at its destination" and a marker showed up in the map. The problem? It checkpoints when he says it. And I was literally a mile away from the point. I summoned DWalker and rushed to it, but I can BARELY make it in time. The worse: it comes accompanied by 2 tanks. No only that, if you manage to destroy the tanks, when you approach the truck some skulls appear. And there are AWFUL, making you have to fight them with rocket launchers and other heavy weapons. The truck gets destroyed easily in the process, and even if you manage to get them away from it to fight, if you die, the last checkpoint still is the one where Miller called you. A FUCKING MILE AWAY. (eventually I quitted, upgraded the fulton mechanic, went right where the truck starts, fultoned it and ran. No regrets.)

Speaking of awful fights, this game has a lot of them. The only semi-clever boss is Quiet, the other are just meh. But the main problems are the goddamn skulls and tank missions. 29 and 45, specifically. Holy shit. That was bad. That is literally Peace Walker 2, where the enemies/bosses are bullet sponges and you NEED Launchers and most of all, Supply Drops. It ain't fun and it's bad design.

There are a lot of minor points I don't like as well, like the goddamn slopes Snake can't climb, but I won't dwelve into them otherwise this post won't ever end. Ultimately, this game feels rushed in a lot of areas. It's kind of baffling. I was expecting Kojima to go out with a bang, but this was disappointing. Underwhelming, really.

As for the story. The twist didn't surprise me due to pre-release theories and discussions with friends, and I'm not entirely against it, but I think the execution was bad in some regards, mainly because it felt like Big Boss ran away instead of fighting, and left his revenge for Miller and a random. "He was always our best soldier". 4th wall or not, just nope.

And there's no way he went out to build a "nation" bigger than MB and went unnoticed. If that's the case, then why change faces?

The rest of the story seemed like a checklist. "Hey, here's the Eli ending. Now the Huey ending. Now the Quiet ending. Now Venom's ending." It felt disjointed, because, well, it was. Some of them you can even finish the game without seeing. Code Talker didn't even got an ending (aside from the ridiculously fast story facts at the end), but thank god, because that character already is too much in this game and he is just awful.

Also the Paz retcon was ridiculous. I really liked GZ and he managed to go back and ruin part of it, too. And since when is Miller blind?

I had some good times with the game. I loved some missions, like 43, for instance. But mostly I was seeing problems. Some of them, like the enemy sniper, are pretty much spelled out to you. And it hindered my enjoyment a lot. The gameplay is superb and ultimately, this is a game. But it is also a combination of several parts. If you stick 10 hours of unskippable shitty cutscenes in Super Mario Galaxy, it will suck, regardless of how great the gameplay is. The game has to respect your time and be well tight, and MGSV just isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom