• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.
So has anyone else corroborated that French reviewer's impression about MGS V having barely any story/cutscenes past the opening? Or is there still a chance that's not legit? Because if it is, that would be the ultimate hype-killer. :(

An MGS game without a focus on story is like... is like... peanut butter without jelly. Or something like that, I don't know. My point is, that sounds awful and not at all what I want out of the last MGS game...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You're only proving my point of people taking it way too seriously.
When the majority of all story material is advertised as the darkest story in the franchise and showing heavy material than there's not a lot to take in besides face value.

So has anyone else corroborated that French reviewer's impression about MGS V having barely any story/cutscenes past the opening? Or is there still a chance that's not legit? Because if it is, that would be the ultimate hype-killer. :(
One person said that he doesn't agree. No idea how far he was into the game then, thee's always the possibility of a long stretch without major story beats and a gameplay focus like in MGS3.

An MGS game without a focus on story is like... is like... peanut butter without jelly. Or something like that, I don't know. My point is, that sounds awful and not at all what I want out of the last MGS game...

2015-08-2022_47_16-vil1qgo.png

Just this, which Sn4ke posted earlier in the thread.

I think it's the same amount of cutscenes spread over a much larger sections of gameplay.

A story can be both heavy and satirical. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

It's like people complaining about it either have perfect lives or awful ones. There's silly stuff and messed up stuff in everything, why put some arbitrary measure on it? Just nonsense tbh

Eh, not really (with regards to long stretches without cutscenes). It depends on how fast you play it. 3 has its hefty amount of cutscenes too.

It's apparent that V is approaching things differently from the rest of the main series.

No, I literally meant there are long stretches where you are just left alone to play as snake. overall there could be as many cut scenes as MGS2, that's not my point. Just that there were indeed long stretches where you directly controlled the game without interruption, compared to other games in the series. This isn't particularly debatable. The first couple of hours of MGS3 are the most talky/cut scene heavy and then after that there are definitely long stretches where you just..play.

I'm not actually reading anything in here, but the problem with the long thread title is that on the mobile version of GAF, the title itself will be truncated and the word SPOILERS might not even appear (especially given how long the thread title is). So when posting, people won't be able to see at a glance which actual MGS thread they're in. As someone who doesn't want to see any spoilers in the other thread, that's bad.

I'm not actually reading anything in here, but the problem with the long thread title is that on the mobile version of GAF, the title itself will be truncated and the word SPOILERS might not even appear (especially given how long the thread title is). So when posting, people won't be able to see at a glance which actual MGS thread they're in. As someone who doesn't want to see any spoilers in the other thread, that's bad.
On mobile. Can see the entire thread title from the main forum thread list.

Mik317

Act 3 was the only real "bad" part of MGS4 IIRC. The tailing mission sucked, the turret sections was ass and IIRC the Boss was stupid too (ended on the best/worst scene in the game tho...them finger guns)

There were entire acts that were awful. Don't get me started on the urban tail mission.

One of my favorite gameplay sections in the series as well as atmospherically. I understand many of the complaints levelled at the game and even agree with some, but this is the one that is just plain bonkers to me. :p

Playing on higher difficulties was super intense with so much detail and ways to go about things.

Yep, damn right! Could've easily been the best act otherwise. The Haven part could've been up there as well if they would've done it the right way.

It's strange. Kojima threw more than the kitchen sink at the game, but there are some truly head-scratching decisions in several areas. Haven should have been this huge Groznyj Grad type ordeal as it was the finale of Solid's story. A lot of elements in MGS4 got more focus than other things that were far more deserving.

Mik317

It's strange. Kojima threw more than the kitchen sink at the game, but there are some truly head-scratching decisions in several areas. Haven should have been this huge Groznyj Grad type ordeal as it was the finale of Solid's story. A lot of elements in MGS4 got more focus than other things that were far more deserving.

It legit feels like he ran out of time as the game kinda ran to it's conclusion near the end

MAX PAYMENT

Yup

Woodchipper

Indeed, indeed.

Act 3 was the only real "bad" part of MGS4 IIRC. The tailing mission sucked, the turret sections was ass and IIRC the Boss was stupid too (ended on the best/worst scene in the game tho...them finger guns)

Yeah, for sure! The game was incredible but Act 3 was hot dildos. That SOP scene at the Volta still one of my favorites in the series.

It legit feels like he ran out of time as the game kinda ran to it's conclusion near the end

It's possible but again the game was so massive and loaded with so much that I'm not sure why these things were more or less shoved under the rug or just not given enough attention. The problem is he stuffed it with needless amounts of exposition; I appreciate that he tried to explain a lot but there are times where characters will flat out re-explain what they just finished explaining. My point is that while he was maybe rushed, the production was so massive that if he would have just chilled out on the writing and cutscene quantity that he could have made a more leveled and focused game. And story.

I know I've expressed concern about MGSV not having a lot of story or cutscenes, but there's a huge difference between a lot of cutscenes and the amount that MGS4 had. Had he dialed things like this way back, he could have told the same story while being able to focus on things that deserved more focus. So much energy went into things that quite frankly did not matter and it didn't have to be that way. It's also a game that suffers from having a great deal of amazing moments that would have worked better under more solid pacing, but you have to sit through a lot of shit to get to them.

But oh well. I still think it's mostly awesome, but I would murder for a more streamlined version. It still blows my mind to this day how long Drebin's introduction is. Hoooly shit.

Platy

A story can be both heavy and satirical. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

yeah but you have to be pretty clear what is one and what is other.

If someone thinks something satirical is heavy or something heavy is satirical you lost everything and it becomes a media that is pro-bad things.

Kinda hard to make a satire about rape, torture and child soldiers without going into Police Squad territory to show what you are against and what you are in favor... and considering the seriousness people take the ENTIRETY of metal gear story, I have to say that kojima failed miserably in those aspects

See (since we are only on expeculation territory) using a sausage to hint that sexual trauma can turns some cisgender boy into a transgender woman. Hilarious =|

squadr0n

It's possible but again the game was so massive and loaded with so much that I'm not sure why these things were more or less shoved under the rug or just not given enough attention. The problem is he stuffed it with needless amounts of exposition; I appreciate that he tried to explain a lot but there are times where characters will flat out re-explain what they just finished explaining. My point is that while he was maybe rushed, the production was so massive that if he would have just chilled out on the writing and cutscene quantity that he could have made a more leveled and focused game. And story.

I know I've expressed concern about MGSV not having a lot of story or cutscenes, but there's a huge difference between a lot of cutscenes and the amount that MGS4 had. Had he dialed things like this way back, he could have told the same story while being able to focus on things that deserved more focus. So much energy went into things that quite frankly did not matter and it didn't have to be that way. It's also a game that suffers from having a great deal of amazing moments that would have worked better under more solid pacing, but you have to sit through a lot of shit to get to them.

But oh well. I still think it's mostly awesome, but I would murder for a more streamlined version. It still blows my mind to this day how long Drebin's introduction is. Hoooly shit.

The opening cutscenes/commercials at the beginning of 4 alone probably cost around a million and were seriously not needed. I love the first 2 acts in 4 and kinda wish the whole game was just 3 large acts instead of the super small areas we got later in the game.

I have faith MGSV will hold its own story wise but I seriously doubt this will wrap up the series and explain everything fans want while also adding new elements. The world design is enough to make any Metal Gear fan happy though. This will be an epic send off atleast. MGS4's ending feels like it was added last minute because it basically was. We all know what the original ending was and it wasnt until Kojima's staff begged him too change it till he changed his mind.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

If someone thinks something satirical is heavy or something heavy is satirical you lost everything and it becomes a media that is pro-bad things.

Kinda hard to make a satire about rape, torture and child soldiers without going into Police Squad territory to show what you are against and what you are in favor... and considering the seriousness people take the ENTIRETY of metal gear story, I have to say that kojima failed miserably in those aspects

See (since we are only on expeculation territory) using a sausage to hint that sexual trauma can turns some cisgender boy into a transgender woman. Hilarious =|
Couldn't agree more.

The opening cutscenes/commercials at the beginning of 4 alone probably cost around a million and were seriously not needed. I love the first 2 acts in 4 and kinda wish the whole game was just 3 large acts instead of the super small areas we got later in the game.

Yeah. Again I loved act 3, very atmospheric with a huge emphasis on traditional film noir and espionage; it gave me something I felt was missing from the first two acts. I've just never been of the mind that MGS needs huge open environments. They're fine if done right, but I prefer the tight thriller feel of the first three personally. MGS3 was bigger sure, but it was still very focused and felt tightly paced.

It's his game to do what he wants with though. I just hope the story feels important with a decent amount of surprises.

edit: I also liked the ending we got to MGS4, the original one felt too depressing to me and I thought the ending we got was super poignant to Snake and Big Boss' arc. It was too long winded with exposition, but hey, that's what we're talking about anyway. I'm just saying I thought the very end was satisfying and I prefer that massively over what was originally going to happen.

Window

That's how satire works.

That type of satire I think works well when the intent is to criticize the subject. To play the idea straight with a slight exaggeration to highlight the absurdity/ridiculousness of it (Verhoeven with action films/80's America). The ridiculous aspects of MGS are not a reflection reality but completely Kojima's doing (for better and worse). MGS has subversive elements but it also plays many tropes completely straight. Most of the social commentary in MGS comes from not the satire but the character monologues which serve as mouth pieces for what's going on Kojima's mind.

All that aside, I'm actually kinda hyped for a game. Last time this happened was for MGS4. Look forward to 1st of Sept.

See (since we are only on expeculation territory) using a sausage to hint that sexual trauma can turns some cisgender boy into a transgender woman. Hilarious =
|

I can see how that tweet is well, offensive, but the context is that Kojima regularly tweets about food and usually makes stupid statements regarding the food:

The whole 'sausage is metaphor for chico transitioning to womanhood' is just 4chan speculation. (I'm pretty sure the whole chico=quiet speculation spawned from there and then it was picked up by other groups.). Contextually, I really don't think that he would hint at Chico through a food tweet.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No, I literally meant there are long stretches where you are just left alone to play as snake. overall there could be as many cut scenes as MGS2, that's not my point. Just that there were indeed long stretches where you directly controlled the game without interruption, compared to other games in the series. This isn't particularly debatable. The first couple of hours of MGS3 are the most talky/cut scene heavy and then after that there are definitely long stretches where you just..play.

It really depends on HOW you play. You can beat 3 in about 90 minutes, same as the other MGS titles and end up having quite a lopsided gameplay:cutscene ratio.

MGSV seems like a departure from this, at least allegedly so far. Even if you play fast, the cutscenes are not seemingly so numerous.

convo

With the game supposedly out somewhere, we really got jack shit right now. Not even close to a spoiler pic. What else can reviewers not talk about besides cutscene length?
I believe it takes a different mind set than the usual to engage with the Base building stuff, even when you want to make your own Zoo filled with nothing but bears. The worm hole fulton will probably also work for vehicles too.

raven777

With the game supposedly out somewhere, we really got jack shit right now. Not even close to a spoiler pic. What else can reviewers not talk about besides cutscene length?
I believe it takes a different mind set than the usual to engage with the Base building stuff, even when you want to make your own Zoo filled with nothing but bears. The worm hole fulton will probably also work for vehicles too.

Lol they can't talk about cutscene length again???

Lupe hype again

@LupeFiasco
After 8 hours straight of playing #ThePhantomPain @Konami HQ all I have to say is MGS Fans just Call off work & school for the rest of 2015

When the majority of all story material is advertised as the darkest story in the franchise and showing heavy material than there's not a lot to take in besides face value.

One person said that he doesn't agree. No idea how far he was into the game then, thee's always the possibility of a long stretch without major story beats and a gameplay focus like in MGS3.

2015-08-2022_47_16-vil1qgo.png

Just this, which Sn4ke posted earlier in the thread.

I think it's the same amount of cutscenes spread over a much larger sections of gameplay.

Whew, that's a relief. I can't even describe how disappointing it would be for the last MGS game to have almost no story elements, especially after how much the trailers have hyped the narrative up.

Hoping for good things...

convo

You possibly spent a lot of time fumbling and stumbling around certain missions and maybe not feeling rewarded by the story bit you get for completing it.I can't see myself not maxing shit out at the base,and going in completely mad with power , with the way i like that part of peace walker.

slash3584

From another forum:

Spanish magazine HobbyConsolas gave the game a 97 out of 100.

Negative points:

- Spanish translation sucks.
- Not as moving as other MGS titles (?)

The reviewer states that this is the best stealth game ever.

Also he says that the plot twists will destroy all expectations and will be a big conversation subject in the community.

From what I gather the reviewer is a big MGS fan so theres that.

raven777

From another forum:

Spanish magazine HobbyConsolas gave the game a 97 out of 100.

Negative points:

- Spanish translation sucks.
- Not as moving as other MGS titles (?)

The reviewer states that this is the best stealth game ever.

Also he says that the plot twists will destroy all expectations and will be a big conversation subject in the community.

From what I gather the reviewer is a big MGS fan so theres that.

can you share link to the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom