• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

Mr. Desu

Here, we try and figure out what the finger does.

Please post anything that you're finding, videos, streams and whatever else may be allowed here. I'm at work for the next couple hours, but I have a sheet of paper with a lot of hints and ideas, as well as most of the information that was found on it as well. I'll go ahead and update this post as time goes on, and should be watching it fully for the next while. Message me if y'all need anything or think anything that's important should be added that I don't add here. Hope we can figure out what's here, if anything.

Cheers, and good luck!

THIS IS A WORKS IN PROGRESS. UPDATING AS WE GO, MAKING THINGS LOOK NICE.

GENERAL
Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour was released last night during the E3 press conference for Sony. This was completely unexpected to most people, and through the title and what Capcom implies is that there's about an hours worth of content there. However, within ten minutes of playing it myself and many others, we found the ending... Or that's what we thought. It seems that hiring Jordan Amaro, who worked on P.T. was a huge jolt to the project, and brings many concepts over, including bringing us as a community together to try and figure out where the other fifty minutes of the game went. The demo is PS+ exclusive as it stands and is now available in all regions. Please, make some coffee, turn on your PS4 and get comfortable because it seems we'll be here for a while.
NA PSN Link
(Hey, send me the other links to the other regions so I don't feel bad. The PSN Store redirects me so I can't nab them myself)

I'm happy to say that Eurogamer is now reporting that this is separate from the main game, implying that what we have found has meaning and potentially worth in context to the game. Keep hunting, there is something here. [Source] Also keep in mind, we haven't gotten out of the house, which is exactly what we're supposed to do.
UuGz5TC.png

YYS6Tdk.png

We haven't finished it yet, we don't know everything or if what we're finding is true. We're trying to see if what we find is true and holds purpose, hence the title.
So, what do we think we know?

-The gam-... Demo takes place in two time periods. We'll refer to these as DT (During tape) and AT (After tape)

-User RedBoot pointed out they mention Amarillo in a video. We'll assume this isn't Amarillo. It's probably somewhere like Louisiana.

-We have a rough idea on date. The tape we find is dated for June 1st, 2017. It's safe to assume that what we're playing through takes place days, if not weeks after. (Thanks little roaches)

-There's a spooky ghost who appears in various locations. I don't think we've confirmed triggers at this point, but I'll edit this if we find out what's goin on. Multiple users have linked to this gallery showing the locations she has been spotted at. http://imgur.com/a/LvmKm

-Umbrella probably has somethin to do with this. I mean, there's a helicopter with the logo right in the game.

-There's an axe. This would make sense, seeing as players found an aim assist option very early on. However, it doesn't seem to have a use, or at least one that we've found yet.

-You can smash a few crates about the house and a couple of mannequins once you get the axe, but this doesn't seem to do anything.

-We have found two endings. One ending shows you just about to step outside of the door before getting punched in the face. The other involves you picking up a ringing phone in the attic. This has four outcomes though, depending on the state of the game. One message talks about memories, another about appearances, one more about a choice, and the last about trying to say goodbye.

-The door in the tape versus the one we find when we wake up is far different. Do they not want others coming in, or do they not want people getting out?

-Where the dude in the T-Shirt is found dead on the pipe, there's something off to the left. The game forces you to pry his body off the pipe, so we can't see what's off to the left. However, looking down it again in the present time it seems there's some light coming from it.

There's also the most confusing thing of all. We've found it, it looks like something it isn't (a key) and is flammable, but we can't put it to a flame or on a stove or in an outlet or anything like that. Of course, this item will go down in legend.
BmRDp5N.png

-Those clicks don't mean anything. They're part of the audio files that just loop in the background. But maybe we're onto something with this star thing.

bBYlhl5.png

The community has been hard at working trying things, trying to find out what's going on and... it doesn't seem like we've found a use for the axe or that damn finger. Here's a list of things that the community has tried.

IF ANYONE HAPPENS TO MAKE ONE OF THESE THINGS WORK MESSAGE ME, I'LL REMOVE IT FORM THE LIST
Also, everything in the list is something that we can prove is true or false. No rumors.

- One of the big things people were suggesting was that the ghost sightings in DT (During Tape) would relate to the amount of voodoo dolls hanging in the room under the stairs. Nothing.

-Hitting the axe with the finger before picking it up? Nope. Unless we've all been going at it at the wrong angle.

-We've been told by a German Capcom Community Manager on Facebook that there's a use for the axe during an important event in the attic. I'm thinking that he's probably not lying, or that there is something to do with it. However, there might very well be something before it that we have to do.

-We have also tried what else he suggested, and took a look at that photo next to the phone. Like, really REALLY looked at the photo, all angles and different kinds of brightness but nothing.

-Perhaps seeing all seven ghosts in one go? Well, I haven't seen anyone do it yet so all we've seen so far is just rumor that seeing 'em will cause the fuse box to do something. After doing a lot of testing last night, it doesn't seem like it'd be possible to trigger all of them in one go unless you're super, super lucky. The timing and positioning is a bit spotty.

-Someone last night suggested leaving the tape while you're on the ladder to make it stay there. Nothing.

-Can't we put the finger in something? Nope. Or at least, nothing that we've found yet.

-Can the axe be used to smack anything? We've hit the mannequins and the dolls that seem to be the only things that are smashable in a sense. Nothing. We've also smacked the hell out of some walls, doors, floor and ceilings and we've got nothing.

-You can't axe Skip (the man who punches you when you try and escape) when he comes up to Family you or when you see him walk in the hallway. Skip lives.

-What about picking up the items at a different time and picking up the phone, or trying to see if something changes. From what we can reproduce, nothing.

-Picking up the phone on the seventh ring did nothing.

-Positioning the mannequins or the boxes doesn't seem to do anything. Using it to make on of the mannequins not spawn seems to be a glitch. This also goes for the baby that drops by the bolt cutters.

-There'a apparently audio that can be heard while you're outside recording things. No one has been able to make it out though.

CM1wglW.png

Basically nothing. We're stuck.

tnpn73l.png

The Axe Swingers are what I'm calling the streamers trying to crack the code. A few dedicated members of the team, myself included, are streaming and working with others who can't/don't want to play the game to solve this mystery. If you've some time and are curious, drop on by!

Myself
Scotia
Inkvoterad

Scotia

Banned
Can we please leave the 'they fucked Resi up' stuff out of this thread please? I'd like to have at least one thread where people trying to solve this thing can do it in peace.

Mr. Desu

Can we please leave the 'they fucked Resi up' stuff out of this thread please? I'd like to have at least one thread where people trying to solve this thing can do it in peace.

We sure can.

Not sure if other thread leader is active. I will be as much as possible. Sit here if you want, trade info or mods can lock thread. I hardly use GAF and don't know if I can delete the thread myself, so it lives for now.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Thanks for making the thread!

I'm stuck where I think everybody else is.... when I phone a friend, I get this:

This is with the axe and key... subtitles are on and readable (might need to click it)

So I gather that there is more to do in the video. Perhaps related to the sightings of the girl. After all, that is the only "past" we can access.

Also, I usually mention the Resident Evil Community Thread in new RE topics, so... click the GIF to join us in the community thread! Hate the demo or love it, we welcome new posters.

This would be a good addition to the OP

Scotia

Banned
The only thing that I've found is that you can answer the phone and escape the room by hugging the walls and preventing from having your back out in the open. I played the tape and quit immediately afterwards and I was safe from being attacked for the rest of the demo.

Mr. Desu

Right now we're at

2 Endings (Open the Door & Answer the Phone)
With the phone having two different messages

There's three, I believe. I'll sift through my stream and find out if anyone doesn't point them out.

One about goodbyes, another about memories and another about deceptive appearances.

I REALLY hope we can figure out if there's a legit use for the axe and the finger, it's bothering me so bad that no one has found it, lord knows I tried everything I could think of so far lol

Mr. Desu

Does anyone have all the pictures of the ghost sightings? They might play relation to the voodoo dolls that are seen hanging around.

kamineko

Great detail in those Reddit notes..... seems like we've all hit the same wall, though

Does anyone have all the pictures of the ghost sightings? They might play relation to the voodoo dolls that are seen hanging around.

I feel like the sightings are key. Unless the phone is lying the secret is in the video

Mr. Desu

Great detail in those Reddit notes..... seems like we've all hit the same wall, though

I feel like the sightings are key. Unless the phone is lying the secret is in the video

It took us a while to find the lock pick, and it doesn't force us through the events of the tape. It wants us to explore it, so I feel that plays into the memories call and might open up something more.

Slaythe

There are many endings not just "2".

And by ending I mean game overs.

This is the link for the placement of the ghost girl.

http://imgur.com/a/LvmKm

The axe is used to destroy the ghost mannequins.

So far no use found for the finger.

Still no idea how to get a proper ending.

Things of note :

The small dolls are not in the past, and there are 7 of them.

There are about 3 mannequins you can destroy, so I'm guessing we are missing 4 more elements...

Unless the 7 dolls represent the Girl's locations.

This is so interesting, there is so much more to this than i thought on my first play through, and its nice to see the umbrella logo on the photo of the helicopter.

Mr. Desu

There are about 3 mannequins you can destroy, so I'm guessing we are missing 4 more elements...

Unless the 7 dolls represent the Girl's locations.

Maybe? There's a lot to do with the number seven, at least by what's around. There's the cardboard boxes with the number 7 on em too, and the apparent seven ghost sightings.

There is also the matter of the headphones in the vcr section

The hanging doll thoery is interesting

Seems related since people are claiming the amount of them changes

Mr. Desu

There is also the matter of the headphones in the vcr section

The hanging doll thoery is interesting

Seems related since people are claiming the amount of them changes

They're earmuffs. The presentation would leave me to believe it takes place somewhere in the South, so them using them while working on the plantation or for firearms seems most likely.

kamineko

Is there a relationship between girl sightings and number of dolls in the voodoo room?

EDIT
As in, does spotting the girl change the count?

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm way too big a pussy to play this game, but I'm watching Lirik play right now and this stuff is amazing.

The
videotape segment where you actually control the cameraman
was nothing short of genius.

Scotia

Banned
"Versuch sie doch mal in einer bestimmten Situation im Spitzboden zu nutzen" A community manager answered this to a comment about the axe. On the German Facebook site. It means about as much as: Try using it in a certain situation in the attic. They also said that they will reveal the answers to a later point. Guess this helps.

Found this on RE reddit.

Hopefully, there will be a physical release for this. On the official website it only shows digital and digital Deluxe versions - am I missing something?

Also, I think the first person/VR direction is fucking genius!! I'm extremely excited for this game, as I've been waiting for something like this! I totally dig the art direction, atmosphere and setting! It's like a return to form, being that the original Resident Evil was set in a creepy mansion and it's my favorite - especially the REmake HD version!

I wonder if the VR graphics will be dumbed-down, or will they be 1:1 awesome as they are in the demo/trailer?

Hektor

Maybe it means nothing and is just a glitch, but in the attic there is exactly one tiny piece of wall that gets invisible whenever i stand directly in front of it. A few feet in front of the table at the corner, the left wall.

Like, this is where im standing at.

And here is the wall that disappears, to the left of the above pic

Tried to axe it, but nothing happens. Im probably just reaching.

And yes, i know you can make screenies with the PS4, but im a lazy fucker.

RedBoot

They're earmuffs. The presentation would leave me to believe it takes place somewhere in the South, so them using them while working on the plantation or for firearms seems most likely.

Feels like Louisiana to me. They mention Amarillo in the video, which I assume refers to Amarillo, Texas.

Sayad

Streaming it now and going through everything thoroughly, noticed this on the stairs in the tape when the first guy dissapears? http://i.imgur.com/EOcVhhj.png

Does not look like the guy, entirely different legshape. Thought could it possibly be a low poly model?

It's about 01:11:30-35 in this video https://www.twitch.tv/sammiboii/v/72425694

Edit: I tried the tape again and couldnt replicate it, so possibly just a glitch?
That's the ghost girl: http://imgur.com/a/LvmKm

dave is ok

aztek is ok
From reddit:

A community manager on the German Facebook page for the game has been dropping hints on what to do. One of these hints refers to using the axe in a certain situation in the attic. Thanks /u/ThatOneJillSandwich for pointing this out. I will look through that page for more hints, but if anybody knows German (I don't) it would be a great help if you could look through the comment section there for any more hint.

Another comment on that post is saying "Have you found the photo with the Helicopter?" and "Try looking at it again." Thanks, /u/Solobbos and /u/Kinseb

Something makes me think this takes place after resident evil 1. It was right before the massive spread of the T-Virus. And the game takes place in outskirts of Raccoon city.

Top Bottom