• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

Neff

You're not supposed to escape those.

Who can say...

If they're not supposed to be avoided, why are there several encounters in sequence along the same linear path? Why is there one guarding a door you can't go through? Why is there an option to 'reset' them?

After all, it's not possible (as yet) to escape the Andre corpse encounter in the basement by wall-hugging. The event collision detection is quite specific.

IMACOMPUTA

I like the ADR angle. That the VHS is "fake". I've tried saying "cut" into my mic (amongst other things). My wife probably thinks I'm crazy.

The fuse box being moved and other differences between the vhs and "real" world = set redesign?

The vhs is labeled rehearsal.

Armigr

Does anyone know what triggers the fuse to disappear? I just went into the secret entrance to pick it up and it wasn't there. :(

Kazuhira

h1T2MwM.jpg

This is what i've mapped so far, using floodboard width and crouch pacing (where floorboard cannot be used).

What i'm seeing is a potential stairway upstairs at the end of hallway b, and an accessible area between the livingroom and kitchen via the pantry (boarded up door), which potentially connects to the cellar area accessible from the secret passage.

That empty drawer in the kitchen is suspicious as fuck,like you can put an item in the vhs world and pick it up in the present.
Great work!

Yeah but it doesn't mean you have to discard it.
Maybe pressing the "use" option for x item puts it inside the drawer.

The use function is likely meant for Herbs in the real game

Hard to say... but as of now there is no precedent set by the Use button

Everything is prompted so far

Mascot

The game producer is a big horror movie buff, so maybe the solution is in a classic horror movie? Are there any where mannequin fingers, pianos etc feature prominently? Any that have similar plots or scenarios this this demo?

Neff

Memories hold the truth could also reference to a photo or painting.

I went full batshit and started inserting game discs.

"Memories hold the truth" = RE1 (first game and most nostalgic)
"Power to choose" = RE2 (Leon or Claire disc)
"Say goodbye" = RE3 (Jill leaving her job and Raccoon City)

And guess what?
Solved the demo.

I didn't though.

Maybe it's as simple as waiting 7 days until we are able to continue?

If there's some sort of time release thing going on, I'll be annoyed, I'll admit it.

Intel_89

The dummies hold the proof that staring into something and then doing a 360 might change what's in front of you, I wonder if that can be applied to some other thing we're missing.

will0wis

Yeah but it doesn't mean you have to discard it.
Maybe pressing the "use" option for x item puts it inside the drawer.

It doesn't. I think all possible interactions with items in the house have been mapped and it's quite known by now that nothing involving putting the items anywhere works. A different house state may change some things and we may get to use the items but this still didn't happen.

So, for anyone still wondering "what if we use item x in place y for outcome z": it has been tested and proven repeatedly that nothing can be actually "used" in the house as it is.

Who can say...

If they're not supposed to be avoided, why are there several encounters in sequence along the same linear path? Why is there one guarding a door you can't go through? Why is there an option to 'reset' them?

After all, it's not possible (as yet) to escape the Andre corpse encounter in the basement by wall-hugging. The event collision detection is quite specific.
Wall hugging and shit was just glitching thr event system. Andre's isn't avoidable probably because you have an invisible wall that you eventually get to that triggers the event, whereas the family man one needs space behind you so his model doesn't clip in a wall.

gafneo

Banned
You're not supposed to escape those. That wall hugging shit is just breaking the game to avoid the family man because there isn't room for the cutscene to happen. Otherwise he would be punching you through a wall.

I dissagree. It's in the demo that you get a call then leave. Also, the message on the phone is a clue. It's not what you'd expect.

Neff

Wall hugging and shit was just glitching thr event system. Andre's isn't avoidable probably because you have an invisible wall that you eventually get to that triggers the event, whereas the family man one needs space behind you so his model doesn't clip in a wall.

Except there's a distinct (and generous) amount of space around the hot zone which triggers a game over, with the exception of the back door and Andre, both of which will teleport you to the required area for the cutscene. If they wanted to do that for every encounter, they would have.

And again, why is there a series of encounters leading from the phone room to the hall and kitchen if the game is supposed to give you an instant game over after answering the phone? Why is there an encounter in the kitchen on one side of the table only? Why is there an encounter in front of the broken doorknob door?

Your persistent cynicism and narrow-mindedness would be impressive were it not for the fact that it's adding nothing to this at all.

Armigr

I went full batshit and started inserting game discs.

"Memories hold the truth" = RE1 (first game and most nostalgic)
"Power to choose" = RE2 (Leon or Claire disc)
"Say goodbye" = RE3 (Jill leaving her job and Raccoon City)

And guess what?
Solved the demo.

I didn't though.

Maybe you have to insert the version of RE1 Director's Cut that incuded an RE2 demo, like the video tape hints at. =p

gafneo

Banned
I'm still going with interacting with things in a certain order.
The lever is the first thing.
Piano will be the last.

Memories hold the key. I got it, these puzzles are a mgs ground zero dejavu mission. We play Resident Evil games to find each refference. The Piano scene was kind of late in the game.

Except there's a distinct (and generous) amount of space around the hot zone which triggers a game over, with the exception of the back door and Andre, both of which will teleport you to the required area for the cutscene. If they wanted to do that for every encounter, they would have.

And again, why is there a series of encounters leading from the phone room to the kitchen, with no alternate paths, if the game is supposed to give you an instant game over after answering the phone? Why is there an encounter in the kitchen on one side of the table only? Why is there an encounter in front of the broken doorknob door?

Your persistent cynicism and narrow-mindedness would be impressive were it not for the fact that it's adding nothing to this at all.
Here's the deal. I want there to be another ending. It would be awesome. But the things people are suggesting a lot of the time are ludicrous and don't really make sense. I'm just voicing that opinion. I'm just hoping that maybe someone suggests something a little more logical.

The space between putting the phone down and getting family'd, to me, is to make that event unexpected and scare you. I think a lot of people are reading into scare tactics as clues when they are just scare tactics.

gconsole

Weird, I thought PT puzzle was a lot more harder to find but eventually people can still solve it within like first week?

It's been 5 days now and not much progress has happened. Either there is absolutely nothing left , or the way to solve puzzle is something really unthinkable.

Either way, it's not a good sign. Capcom , people is getting frustated, this is beyond fun.

Not sure if this has been tried, and if it has I apologise, but how about getting out of the room after the phone call and then entering the VHS world? Dunno just an idea...

Ferr986

And I disagree as well. Hugging the wall is a goofy, silly solution that just looks like glitching the game.

I gotta agree here. Hugging the wall is more like devs didnt properly think how to trigger the event properly.
Its certainly not an "oficial" method of avoiding the encounter, and more like taking advantage on how they forgot to take that into account when they planned how the encounter is triggered IMO. That's why in PT they have the sudden pop of Lisa.

Tbh the demo is fairly glitchy.

Weird, I thought PT puzzle was a lot more harder to find but eventually people can still solve it within like first week?

It's been 5 days now and not much progress has happened. Either there is absolutely nothing left , or the way to solve puzzle is something really unthinkable.

Either way, it's not a good sign. Capcom , people is getting frustated, this is beyond fun.
PT was solved within a day on accident. If there is another ending they made it so you can't accidently trigger it. It has to involve a specific series of events occurring. I'm really enjoying the community coming together and want it solved but at the same time I don't want the ride to end.

Venom Fox

Banned
This is getting stupidly irritating now. Surely Capcom has some presence on forums? Every company do to gauge interest etc. Why has nobody spoke out?

The longer they leave it the more sales they'll kill because some will think the main game is going to be the same.

Neff

Maybe you have to insert the version of RE1 Director's Cut that incuded an RE2 demo, like the video tape hints at. =p

I gave up on that idea fast because a) the PS4 apparently can't read CDs anyway and b) I don't have matching hardware/software regions with my PSone games.

There may be a tiny chance that the machine can at least read the id of the disc or something, but I figured it was worth a shot.

This is getting stupidly irritating now. Surely Capcom has some presence on forums?

NeoGAF and Reddit will be the places to update with progress soonest, and you can bet Capcom is following both, loving every minute.

gafneo

Banned
I gotta agree here. Hugging the wall is more like devs didnt properly think how to trigger the event properly.
Its certainly not an "oficial" method of avoiding the encounter, and more like taking advantage on how they forgot to take that into account when they planned how the encounter is triggered IMO. That's why in PT they have the sudden pop of Lisa.

Tbh the demo is fairly glitchy.

I doubt it because this is short demo. They had to play test the crap out of it so no one breaks past the puzzle. Even though there are glitches, the phone part is pretty important.

Piers

Almost everyone is basing their assumptions on more endings over P.T., and whilst there are similarities, there's no basis to whether Capcom are taking a note from that teaser.

Beyond that, anyone of Capcom Japan would be denying further social buzz if they say anything regarding the teaser's content. It's more than likely (as most creators do) that they're standing back and watching people obsess over a project of theirs. It's a win-win on their part.

will0wis

Not sure if this has been tried, and if it has I apologise, but how about getting out of the room after the phone call and then entering the VHS world? Dunno just an idea...

That's not usually possible, but with hugging wall glitch you can go there and use the tape, which will reset the family man and he'll not spawn behind you. This state is also the one we can see in the first video where the attic door is missing, the russian guy had done just that (the phone was ringing but he had already picked it before). Just glitches though.

Futaba

So after pretty much playing a solid 8 hours a day since it's release (Yey wasted vacation!) I figure I'd do a little write-up for everyone interested and for the masses that every day seem to be suggesting things to help out or possibly solve stuff, despite them already being explored in depth, so let's start:

Things you CAN NOT do:
  • Drop, Scrap or otherwise dispose of any item once it's picked up.
  • Access any of the following items in the VHS recording: Dummy finger, Bolt cutter, VHS tape, Axe, Fuse, or Back door key.
  • Access the following items while in present time: Lockpick.
  • Destroy or interact with the group of three Mannequin's on the second floor
  • Interact in any meaningful way with any Mannequin, static or movable/destructible.
  • Interact with the headphones on the second floor during the VHS recording.
  • Access the headphones while in present time.
  • Use the fusebox at all in the VHS recording (The box is moved to the left, disconnected from power).
  • Move said fusebox in the VHS recording.
  • Reliably see the ghost in a particular spot every time.
  • Obtain the fuse if you complete the VHS recording fully.
    (You can however exit after unlocking the drawer, and access the Axe, the fuse will also still be there but you cannot obtain the back door key without completing the recording)
  • Interact with the sink in the VHS recording
  • Interact more than once with: Sink, Cooking pot, Secret door release handle, Fusebox.
  • Keep the Lockpick within the same VHS playback after unlocking the locked drawer.

Engine notes:
  • Exiting the phone room without being attacked is a glitch, any approach you take that uses this will not yield any new results.
  • The dark markings on the far wall of the phone room are a result of overlapping faces in the UVW lightmap, not a secret code of solution, evidenced by the fact the black marks appear on the side faces of the vertical beams too.
  • Some walls not displaying damage decals or allowing dynamic objects to clip through (Pantry) aren't a sign of potential routes or hidden doorways, these are just geometry issues and blocking volume mixups.
  • Items disappearing when pushed about is an engine glitch, the house is built up from different sections each with different volumes, objects placed or spawned within one volume will only show while still in their parent volume, this leads to situations where the object will vanish from view along with it's collision if you switch volume along with the object, this is 100% an engine issue and not a solution.
  • When moving between volumes (as mentioned above), especially on the first-load of the map, you will occasionally encounter a situation where certain elements of the map do not load in, we've seen this as glitches in a few videos, as follows:
    Japanese uploader who opened the back door but doesn't get attacked - Engine failed to trigger the sequence of turning you around and showing the father model attacking you.
    Loft door missing - I've had this happen on the phone room door and seen multiple videos of the other loft door being missing, this is again just the engine having a hickup and failing to load the asset.
  • Clicks - This has been assumed to be a part of the soundtrack, and for the most part it is, but also some light sources play the asset when spawning in too, coming down from the loft you will notice in the corner to the left of the mannequins a triangle of light that flicks on, along with the associated click when you switch zones (also evidenced by the engine fading between one zones post processing configuration and the next zones (color shifts, brightness, saturation, etc).
    Unfortunately the clicks have nothing to do with any sort of solution.
  • Voices when listening only to voice track "Breathing", the low pitch voices heard over the players breathing were rumored to only occur when stood by the headphones, leading many to think it was coming from them, however it's just unintended audio captured while recording the breathing, likely direction being given to the VA
  • A range of canned sound effect loops are played on various triggers, sounds of drawers sliding open, locks being used, doors opening and slamming, walking, etc, some are ambient and some are attached to timed triggers, such as the sound of a doorway opening triggering as you move down the stairs from second floor to ground floor, these are ambient and not intended to indicate that your actions have caused something.
  • The chase - If you run after family man when you see him walk past the livingroom doorway, you will note that he disappeared, however if you continue to chase and run towards the back door, you'll notice tuns being knocked over and/or chairs pushed out of the way, this is done as the game assumes that once you have obtained the back door key the first thing you would want to do is run to the back door and get out - this is also why the mannequin only spawns as you exit the kitchen running to the back door, when you have obtained the key.
  • Attacked - After using the phone the game waits for you to be in an area with enough room to spawn in family man and enough space to play back the attack animation, if you leave the room with your back to the wall and walk to the second floor, walking directly through the middle of the room allows for enough space, thus you will be attacked, equally walking through the kitchen, livingroom or in the center of the area by the front door will get you attacked when facing in a direction that allows enough room for the spawn-in, the only way to prevent this is to make it back to the livingroom at watch the VHS tape, this works because when entering the VHS tape all character entity triggers are reset and only key-item flags are retained, such as 'have fuse?' 'fuse used?' 'Stair switch used?' 'Phone used?' hence why no matter how many times you watch the tape, if you have escaped the phone room after using the phone, you will only ever hear a tone - This means that you can only ever hear one voice message per play through as the game intends for you to die and trigger the end of the demo if you use the phone.
    Likewise, the status of 'end demo' is flagged if you try to exit the back door, where family man will spawn in regardless of any other flags or phone use, this nearly ties up the situation where in the current game build only has two possible outcomes - Attacked while leaving the back door, or attacked after answering the phone.

Extensive mapping of game area
Cellar (Present)
Cellar (VHS)
Ground floor (Present)
Ground floor (VHS)
Second floor (Present)
Second floor (VHS)
Loft (Present)

Separated Present time from VHS playback since there are minor differences to obstacles and movable items (eg, the chairs and crates are missing in the VHS playback and other such stuff), also changes to interactive objects are noted.
Got a few fiddly bits to add such as the spawn locations for baby toy, and hallway doll when triggers are active but overall should be fairly complete.

Ghosts
This ones a bit touchy, the one thing nobody has been able to accomplish yet is to have all 7 ghost sightings occur in a single play of the tape, the best I have had is 4 (porch, first hallway, stairs, ladders), playing through countless times the sightings seem odd, I initially thought it would be linked to the players position, then the position of the AI characters (When they're not looking in the direction of where the ghost appears).
But it's seemingly a combination of both, for example the porch ghost appears as pete and andre are looking at the back door, the second just after pete says "what's that?" and turns back around as andre says "Nothing", the third occurs in the window behind the sink when both pete and andre are looking at other portions of the room, the fourth, late in the kitchen i've not been able to trigger.
The fifth occurs when pete is midway between the bottom of the stairs and the doorway, and the sixth occurs just after peter stops shining his light into the pantry, the seventh and final sighting occurs after pete asks you to go first and is busy looking down the hole into the cellar.

In all instances the ghost appears after a clean obstruction between you and the ghost is moved (turning around and bringing the ghost into view, or adjusting location so that the position the ghost is in, is no longer obscured by another object). I've been able to get the stairway and first hallway ghosts to spawn fairly reliably, but the other 5 are somewhat temperamental and sometimes spawn or don't spawn when the conditions, timing and locations are virtually identical.

Multiple videos of each ghost need to be analysed and a solid pattern of sightings mapped out in order to see all 7, but I suspect that ultimately even when all 7 are finally seen in one shot, that it won't really change anything - Partly because you already see Andre dead against the pipe before you descend the ladders and see the final ghost, so Andre's death will not be effected by whatever, if anything, results from finding all 7 in one run.

Known trigger events
Items:

Deformed baby doll - Pick up bolt cutters (unchanged by pickup order)
Fuse - Enter secret passage prior to watching VHS, Fuse is spawned at game start and will remain there until the VHS has been watched to completion, at which point the fuse is removed.
Finger - Spawns at game start and remains in present time area until picked up.
Bolt cutters - Spawns at game start and remains in present time area until picked up.
VHS tape - Spawns at game start and remains in present time area until picked up (requires bolt cutters to access).
Back door key - Spawns only upon the completion of the VHS tape, exiting manually at any point prevents spawn.
Lockpick - Spawns at VHS start, only present in VHS, can only be used on locked drawer opposite.
Axe - Spawns upon the successful unlock of the locked drawer in VHS, does not require the completion of VHS, accessible even after exiting early, so long as the locked draw has been unlocked.

World event:
Upon picking up the back door key, doorway to livingroom opens and family-man passes by when approaching the door.
Fourth manequinn spawns on second floor if back is turned within the cluster of three manequinns line of sight for a certain duration.
Fifth manequinn spawns in rear hallway when leaving the kitchen area if you have the back door key in your inventory.
Upon using the phone, the next available point where the player has appropriate space immediately behind them, 'Family man' ending is triggered - Location is irrelevant, simply permitted space behind the player is used.
Phone message change in accordance with order of (or is-read flag of) pre-vhs paper note, post-vhs paper note and helicopter photo.

Falsehoods
As hundreds of thousands of players desperately search for something new, a number of fake findings are being posted as fast, here are the most common falsehoods being spread:
  • Phone message about 'nearly there' or 'Die soon', in fact any phone message beyond the current three.
  • Conversational differences between Pete and Andre while entering the kitchen - It was claimed at one point the conversation had changed to something different, this isn't the case.
  • Cassette loading icon in pause screen may be part of the solution - This isn't the case either, the Cassette loading icon simply hows a certain type of data transfer is in progress, it can show even when not in the pause menu, simply when the game is loading data at the start.
  • Existence of a modeled room seen through a glitched door is proof that there is more to the demo: Yes and no, see the following section marked 'Design'.
  • Stars on the kitchen floor are related to a solution - This is a lie, there simply part of the texture and decal design to give the effect of spillages around the kitchen, flat decals with zero interaction possible.
  • Helicopter picture is a hint towards the ceiling fans (Kitchen / Livingroom) - Again there is no basis for this claim, the fans are fixed assets that cannot be interacted with.

Design
One of the most common problems with this many people searching this intensely is that we reach a point where any minor artifact that would otherwise be seen as a technical issue or part and parcel of the design process is put under so a microscope to the point where every minor defect or alignment issue is seen as proof of something or another, take for example the engine glitch where one of the two white doors in the loft area fail to spawn, for the second of the two this means being able to see into an inaccessible room - the existence of this room shows only that during the development process of the demo, an area was designed and likely used at some point for part of a trailer, this is extremely common in games, areas that get used for cutscenes only, being left in an inaccessible area of the map simply for the sake of convenience, or leftovers from changes in design approaches or direction.
For example if you've rebuilt geometry and processed lighting maps for a large area, and suddenly a portion of that map isn't needed, leaving it in and inaccessible takes less time and processing to nix out than to hard-remove and rebuild, additionally leaving the area in allows for the area to be re-used at a later point should the need ever arise - take for example Destiny's DLC areas which largely existed in the game prior to the DLC's release, this is done simply as a progression process as far as designers are concerned, shipping a patch that adjusts minor differences in an existing area is easier and smaller on the patch size, than shipping entire areas and their assets from scratch.

Many, many 3D games contain portions of game world or DLC content that are not intended for the user to ever access or see, but are left in for a whole host of reasons, because of this, seeing past a glitched door and finding out there is modeled space beyond it does nothing at all to raise my hopes that there is more to the game, if anything it actually does the opposite, because in seeing such a large area, while lit and textured, looks devoid of any clutter or decay, something that is staple to the design of the rest of the house - This tells me that the area is a staging point that has been used somewhere but was never intended to be accessible.

Tested methods
The following arrangements have been tried and tested, only difference has been the message on the phone, Only texted 'endgame' solutions, so using the backdoor once obtaining the key, or answering the phone.

Tested methods pastebin

None of the above yielded any notable change conducive with progressing further, so i'm inclined to assume that the order in which the items are used doesn't make a major difference beyond obvious ones such as limitations (must use fuse to access phone, must use bolt cutter to access tape, must complete tape to use key, etc).
I've tried many other situations such as waiting to use the fusebox until later on, or waiting to use the fusebox and get the finger and so on, still no difference.

Item viewer and why it has nothing to do with a solution
Simply put, the only interaction we have is rotate, no zoom, no physical interaction, and when in the item viewer the item viewer contents are overlaid over the game world as a separate plane, evidenced by walking right up to a wall and viewing your bolt cutter - there is no clipping to surrounding geometry.
Additionally the inventory box allows you to assign items to quick select (dpad) however the only item that can be used from quick select is the axe, all other items show darkened, even if you assign the lockpick to a quick item direction and press that direction in front of the locked drawer, it does not use it, quick item selection is therefor intended only for weapons, or not complete.
Likewise, "Use" and "Discard" options are inoperable at any point, the engine relies on an interaction point in order to call up your item list to pick an item to use, manually calling up the item list to attempt to use one does not work even when contextually near an object that CAN be used with the item, thus the only way to use the finger would be to find a location that asks you to press X and call up your item list, then select the finger.

Summary
And with that, I'm pretty much certain that we have exhausted the current potential in the software as it currently sits, my assumption is that if there is indeed any more to this, they are likely going to push it in a future update, likely coinciding with the PC or Xbox demo release as so not to spoil the experience for those users with extensive coverage of solutions already all over the internet. Assuming they even plan on allowing further exploration, that is.

The combination of there being no further progression aside from glitches in the past few days, with the obvious limitations of the item management, and the fact thousands of people have spent days going over the game with a fine toothcomb and not come up with any other items or interaction points tells me that the game, as it sits on our drives right now, has nothing left to give, and only and update from Capcom will change that (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news to all of you hoping to discover more).

Last but not least on the topic of Capcom, in the few interactions with us regarding the demo, they have been purposely vauge and given answers that only really suggest there is more to the game if that's what you want to take from it, otherwise they could easily be dismissed as 'stating the obvious' the Capcom email stating 'you just have to get out by a door or window' this is stating the obvious, they do not state whether or not getting out of the house to freedom or getting out and being caught by family man has any distinction.
Equally many of the 'hints' given by Capcom either turn out to be misunderstandings or flat out fabrications, too., and with the game explicitly stating that no support for the title is available, it's a tough call.
As such I am forced to assume that the only reason they are not coming forward with any solid, reliable statement regarding peoples progression is because doing so would put an end to the free buzz and PR of thousands of people endlessly searching, streaming and talking about the game, and putting an end to that free advertising with a clear statement is just setting fire to money for them.

Ultimately, I think we're basically done with the demo as it sits, I likely won't be booting it again aside from making amendments/updates to my maps or if I see the demo has received an update at which point it'll be worth investigating to find what they changed.
Sorry if it's a downer for people, just felt I should get it off my chest seeing as I have spent a mountain of time on this. To everyone that will continue onward regardless in the hopes of finding something, good luck to you! I'd love to be proven wrong.

Ferr986

I doubt it because this is short demo. They had to play test the crap out of it so no one breaks past the puzzle. Even though there are glitches, the phone part is pretty important.

Being short doesn't matter. This demo was still probably done in a short time and a small staff.
I mean, we even glitched the supposedly closed attic door. That's a pretty big one if you ask me. And there's more.

Not saying we can glitch out of the game and get the ending. Just that, there's glitched and the demo may be a little rushed, hence that we can avoid being familie'd with wall hugging. They didn't plan the encounter as good as in P.T., where Lisa can be unavoidable because it simply "pops" in your screen no matter whan when she does the grab.

Btw, the family man multiple appears, I do suppose it's done so you don't get familie'd always in the same area, same again, as how Lisa randomly appears at different parts of the hallway during the final puzzle.

gafneo

Banned
This is getting stupidly irritating now. Surely Capcom has some presence on forums? Every company do to gauge interest etc. Why has nobody spoke out?

The longer they leave it the more sales they'll kill because some will think the main game is going to be the same.

To be honest, I think it requires more outside research. The Re2 barcode is a dirrect refference to the demo. I am too lazy to play the older games again. I think a legit diehard Re fan would tie this all together.

Rellik

Capcom will be loving this. More people are talking about their Resident Evil brand right now than they have in a long time.

So after pretty much playing a solid 8 hours a day since it's release (Yey wasted vacation!) I figure I'd do a little write-up for everyone interested and for the masses that every day seem to be suggesting things to help out or possibly solve stuff, despite them already being explored in depth, so let's start:

Things you CAN NOT do:
  • Drop, Scrap or otherwise dispose of any item once it's picked up.
  • Access any of the following items in the VHS recording: Dummy finger, Bolt cutter, VHS tape, Axe, Fuse, or Back door key.
  • Access the following items while in present time: Lockpick.
  • Destroy or interact with the group of three Mannequin's on the second floor
  • Interact in any meaningful way with any Mannequin, static or movable/destructible.
  • Interact with the headphones on the second floor during the VHS recording.
  • Access the headphones while in present time.
  • Use the fusebox at all in the VHS recording (The box is moved to the left, disconnected from power).
  • Move said fusebox in the VHS recording.
  • Reliably see the ghost in a particular spot every time.
  • Obtain the fuse if you complete the VHS recording fully.
    (You can however exit after unlocking the drawer, and access the Axe, the fuse will also still be there but you cannot obtain the back door key without completing the recording)
  • Interact with the sink in the VHS recording
  • Interact more than once with: Sink, Cooking pot, Secret door release handle, Fusebox.
  • Keep the Lockpick within the same VHS playback after unlocking the locked drawer.

Engine notes:
1) Exiting the phone room without being attacked is a glitch, any approach you take that uses this will not yield any new results.
2) The dark markings on the far wall of the phone room are a result of overlapping faces in the UVW lightmap, not a secret code of solution, evidenced by the fact the black marks appear on the side faces of the vertical beams too.
3) Some walls not displaying damage decals or allowing dynamic objects to clip through (Pantry) aren't a sign of potential routes or hidden doorways, these are just geometry issues and blocking volume mixups.
4) Items disappearing when pushed about is an engine glitch, the house is built up from different sections each with different volumes, objects placed or spawned within one volume will only show while still in their parent volume, this leads to situations where the object will vanish from view along with it's collision if you switch volume along with the object, this is 100% an engine issue and not a solution.
5) When moving between volumes (as mentioned above), especially on the first-load of the map, you will occasionally encounter a situation where certain elements of the map do not load in, we've seen this as glitches in a few videos, as follows:
Japanese uploader who opened the back door but doesn't get attacked - Engine failed to trigger the sequence of turning you around and showing the father model attacking you.
Loft door missing - I've had this happen on the phone room door and seen multiple videos of the other loft door being missing, this is again just the engine having a hickup and failing to load the asset.
6) Clicks - This has been assumed to be a part of the soundtrack, and for the most part it is, but also some light sources play the asset when spawning in too, coming down from the loft you will notice in the corner to the left of the mannequins a triangle of light that flicks on, along with the associated click when you switch zones (also evidenced by the engine fading between one zones post processing configuration and the next zones (color shifts, brightness, saturation, etc).
Unfortunately the clicks have nothing to do with any sort of solution.
7) Voices when listening only to voice track "Breathing", the low pitch voices heard over the players breathing were rumored to only occur when stood by the headphones, leading many to think it was coming from them, however it's just unintended audio captured while recording the breathing, likely direction being given to the VA
8) A range of canned sound effect loops are played on various triggers, sounds of drawers sliding open, locks being used, doors opening and slamming, walking, etc, some are ambient and some are attached to timed triggers, such as the sound of a doorway opening triggering as you move down the stairs from second floor to ground floor, these are ambient and not intended to indicate that your actions have caused something.
9) The chase - If you run after family man when you see him walk past the livingroom doorway, you will note that he disappeared, however if you continue to chase and run towards the back door, you'll notice tuns being knocked over and/or chairs pushed out of the way, this is done as the game assumes that once you have obtained the back door key the first thing you would want to do is run to the back door and get out - this is also why the mannequin only spawns as you exit the kitchen running to the back door, when you have obtained the key.

Extensive mapping of game area
Cellar (Present)
Cellar (VHS)
Ground floor (Present)
Ground floor (VHS)
Second floor (Present)
Second floor (VHS)
Loft (Present)

Separated Present time from VHS playback since there are minor differences to obstacles and movable items (eg, the chairs and crates are missing in the VHS playback and other such stuff), also changes to interactive objects are noted.
Got a few fiddly bits to add such as the spawn locations for baby toy, and hallway doll when triggers are active but overall should be fairly complete.

Tested methods
The following arrangements have been tried and tested, only difference has been the message on the phone, Only texted 'endgame' solutions, so using the backdoor once obtaining the key, or answering the phone.

Cycle 1 --
Fuse > Fusebox > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Stairs > Phone
Finger > Fuse > Fusebox > Stairs > Phone

Cycle 2 --
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Stairs > Phone
Finger > Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Finger > Stairs > Phone
Finger > Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Stairs > Phone
Finger > Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Finger > Tape > Stairs > Phone
Finger > Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Stairs > Phone

Cycle 3 --
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after entering building) > Stairs > Phone
Finger > Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after entering building) > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after entering building) > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after entering building) > Finger > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Finger > Watch tape (Exit after entering building) > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after unlocking drawer) > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after unlocking drawer) > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Finger > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after unlocking drawer) > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after unlocking drawer) > Finger > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after unlocking drawer) > Finger > Axe > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after unlocking drawer) > Axe > Finger > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Exit after unlocking drawer) > Axe > Stairs > Phone

Cycle 4 --
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Finger > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Finger > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Axe > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Axe > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Finger > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Axe > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Finger > Axe > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Axe > Finger > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Finger > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Finger > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Use key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Use key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Finger > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Use key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Finger > Key > Use key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Use key > Finger > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Axe > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Axe > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Finger > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Axe > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Finger > Key > Axe > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Finger > Axe > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Axe > Finger > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Use key > Axe> Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Use key > Axe> Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Finger > Key > Use key > Axe> Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Finger > Use key > Axe> Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Use key > Finger > Axe> Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Use key > Axe> Finger > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Axe > Use key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Finger > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Axe > Use key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Finger > Key > Axe > Use key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Finger > Axe > Use key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Axe > Finger > Use key > Stairs > Phone
Fuse > Fusebox > Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Axe > Use key > Finger > Stairs > Phone

Cycle 5 --
Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Back door
Bolt cutter > Finger > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Back door
Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Back door
Bolt cutter > Finger > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Back door
Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Finger > Key > Axe > Back door
Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Finger > Axe > Back door
Bolt cutter > Finger > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Axe > Back door
Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Finger > Key > Axe > Back door
Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Finger > Axe > Back door
Bolt cutter > Tape > Watch tape (Watch completely) > Key > Axe > Finger > Back door

None of the above yielded any notable change conducive with progressing further, so i'm inclined to assume that the order in which the items are used doesn't make a major difference beyond obvious ones such as limitations (must use fuse to access phone, must use bolt cutter to access tape, must complete tape to use key, etc).
I've tried many other situations such as waiting to use the fusebox until later on, or waiting to use the fusebox and get the finger and so on, still no difference.

Item viewer and why it has nothing to do with a solution
Simply put, the only interaction we have is rotate, no zoom, no physical interaction, and when in the item viewer the item viewer contents are overlaid over the game world as a separate plane, evidenced by walking right up to a wall and viewing your bolt cutter - there is no clipping to surrounding geometry.
Additionally the inventory box allows you to assign items to quick select (dpad) however the only item that can be used from quick select is the axe, all other items show darkened, even if you assign the lockpick to a quick item direction and press that direction in front of the locked drawer, it does not use it, quick item selection is therefor intended only for weapons, or not complete.
Likewise, "Use" and "Discard" options are inoperable at any point, the engine relies on an interaction point in order to call up your item list to pick an item to use, manually calling up the item list to attempt to use one does not work even when contextually near an object that CAN be used with the item, thus the only way to use the finger would be to find a location that asks you to press X and call up your item list, then select the finger.

Summary
And with that, I'm pretty much certain that we have exhausted the current potential in the software as it currently sits, my assumption is that if there is indeed any more to this, they are likely going to push it in a future update, likely coinciding with the PC or Xbox demo release as so not to spoil the experience for those users with extensive coverage of solutions already all over the internet. Assuming they even plan on allowing further exploration, that is.

The combination of there being no further progression aside from glitches in the past few days, with the obvious limitations of the item management, and the fact thousands of people have spent days going over the game with a fine toothcomb and not come up with any other items or interaction points tells me that the game, as it sits on our drives right now, has nothing left to give, and only and update from Capcom will change that (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news to all of you hoping to discover more).

Last but not least on the topic of Capcom, in the few interactions with us regarding the demo, they have been purposely vauge and given answers that only really suggest there is more to the game if that's what you want to take from it, otherwise they could easily be dismissed as 'stating the obvious' the Capcom email stating 'you just have to get out by a door or window' this is stating the obvious, they do not state whether or not getting out of the house to freedom or getting out and being caught by family man has any distinction.
As such I am forced to assume that the only reason they are not coming forward with any solid, reliable statement regarding peoples progression is because doing so would put an end to the free buzz and PR of thousands of people endlessly searching, streaming and talking about the game, and putting an end to that free advertising with a clear statement is just setting fire to money for them.

Ultimately, I think we're basically done with the demo as it sits, I likely won't be booting it again aside from making amendments/updates to my maps or if I see the demo has received an update at which point it'll be worth investigating to find what they changed.
Sorry if it's a downer for people, just felt I should get it off my chest seeing as I have spent a mountain of time on this. To everyone that will continue onward regardless in the hopes of finding something, good luck to you! I'd love to be proven wrong.
You officially went full family, son.

Top Bottom