• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

Moofers

Well it's possibly something at least.
Cue tons of people saying it's pure coincidence and just background noise that happens to sound exactly like a woman saying stuff because reasons.

Everything is too deliberate to end here. :/

Yeah I mean they literally reference the audio with those guys talking outside the house. Then this audio is what you get WITH THE SOUND SET TO 0 ACROSS THE BOARD. You shouldn't hear anything like that. This was intended to be discovered. That's really cool. Wether or not it leads to an ending, it's yet another hidden thing that was found.

I'd like to record the sounds myself at some point when I get the motivation, but I guess this could be the answer for both the earmuffs and the rewind/spinning symbol if these sounds are only possible at 0/0/0 sound.

Still a little odd that it's possible to get the rewind symbol at the start screen, so I guess it's still possible it's just a loading animation. "Creepy backwards sounds" is enough of a thing that it doesn't really need a hint probably.

Moofers

So I just completed a run where I turned all of the sound settings to zero for the entire thing. Nothing really spectacular happen, but I noticed that even with the settings set to zero across the board I still heard sounds. First off, the menu sounds like when you use an item or find an item, still came through my headphones loud and clear. Also, when you load the VHS tape you get that long beep coming through the headset. And finally I noticed that when family man punches you you hear that section loud and clear as well as the video of the two men being killed that follows.

My run should be archived on my twitch page if anyone wants to take a look.

http://twitch.tv/moofpackandrew

I love this thread haha people are still going too the ride never ends.

I'm starting to think people trying to find things in this demo is going to go on so long that the people in this thread will still be trying to find stuff even after the game comes out, forgetting the game is out.

SexyFish

Banned
One of the guys who made PT also made this plus Capcom keeps egging us on. What is your evidence that there isn't any more?

I understand that rumored PT developer Jordan Amaro is working on Resident Evil 7. What value has he brought to the team?

I think the crux of the question is whether or not there are people who worked on the PT demonstration that Konami released. I can say that there are no staff on the team now or before that worked on PT at Capcom. However, we were actually creating Resident Evil 7 before PT was announced, so when they announced it, it was kind of like, ''Oh, they're doing first-person too?'' However, now that we've come this far, we can see that the content of this game is completely different from what the content or the direction that [PT] was moving in. So we just wanted to make a point of that: that they're both in the horror genre, but what you'll actually see at the end of the day is completely new.

I'd just like to add that I, of course, played PT, and I thought it was an excellent demonstration or excellent game, if you want to call it that. I also know from hearing on the backside of the industry in Japan that the staff who worked on it had to work very hard to achieve what they did. I think it looked really great, and it had so much promise, and I was unfortunately very disappointed that it didn't come to fruition. That was too bad that that happened; I'd just like to share the fact that I really loved it.

From the Gamespot interview.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-7-producer-explains-what-the-full-ga/1100-6440991/

So after pretty much playing a solid 8 hours a day since it's release (Yey wasted vacation!) I figure I'd do a little write-up for everyone interested and for the masses that every day seem to be suggesting things to help out or possibly solve stuff, despite them already being explored in depth, so let's start:

Ultimately, I think we're basically done with the demo as it sits, I likely won't be booting it again aside from making amendments/updates to my maps or if I see the demo has received an update at which point it'll be worth investigating to find what they changed.
Sorry if it's a downer for people, just felt I should get it off my chest seeing as I have spent a mountain of time on this. To everyone that will continue onward regardless in the hopes of finding something, good luck to you! I'd love to be proven wrong.

Amazing work.

Futaba
Got fingered by Capcom
(Today, 12:03 AM)

-MD-

Any progress been made?

justin-timberlake.gif

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I still think the microphone thing in P.T. is bullshit because I completed it numerous times without ever plugging a microphone in.

Definitely not bullshit. It was how I burned through the thing in like 10 minutes after I finally got a PS4 and downloaded the thing.

I think it was like a dev shortcut. It's really an obscure thing to try, but I can confirm it 100% works.

When I first started the demo, the first thing I tried to do was play the piano. The piano lid closes and you cannot play it. At first I thought this was just a scare, but then I got thinking about Moonlight Sonata. Resident Evil famously plays Moonlight Sonata when you interact with pianos. It occurred to me that maybe the piano was the last step - the goal is to do everything else correctly, then try to play the piano. If you have done it correctly, you will actually play the piano.

While I have seen this idea come up a few times, it doesn't seem to be the basis of very much testing. If the piano is the last step, then what is the correct sequence?

People have pointed out that there are distinct numbers written or marked on various items and objects in the house. There are some photos in this imgur album, but it's not 100% correct: http://m.imgur.com/a/qvNqz

So let's look at what is correct.

1. There is a 1 written on the box under the TV.
2. There is a 2 on the nail of the dummy finger.
3. There is a 3 on the door of the chained armoire.
4. The "u" in the revised note after the tape is a 4, but the axe also has a 4 on it.
5. Unknown
6. The bloody handle of the scissors in the finger drawer DOES look like a 6.
7. In the comments of a thread on Reddit, somebody says there is a "big 7" above the piano. But my girlfriend is currently asleep on me and I can't reach the controller to check for myself.

But if there IS a 7 above the piano, this helps my theory that playing the piano is the final step. These other numbers must indicate some kind of sequence, meaning we have to find #5 and possibly #6, figure out how to "use" them, then play the piano...

I vaguely remember a 6 on the VHS tape, but I could be misremembering. If there is a 6 on the tape, that would be more conclusive than the bloody scissors.

Plus there are sevens everywhere. Seven voodoo dolls, seven appearances of the ghost girl, "go tell aunt Rhody that everybody's (dead)" is seven words, with the final word missing, possibly indicating the nature of the seven-step puzzle.

Futaba

I think the only progress that's going to be made at this point is if any of the following instances occur:
- Both doorway AND wooden slats on loft end door fail to load.
- Both doorway AND wooden slats on pantry door fail to load.
- Doorway at the end of the hall outside the livingroom fails to load.
- Pushable object causes a glitch that pushes the player out of bounds

Basically, glitches only, and even then it'll be more a case of seeing the areas that were built and not use rather than finding a use for the finger or making any further story progression.

Javin98

Banned
Look on the bright side, guys. You're trying hard to uncover secrets to an upcoming game. The NeverBeGameOver subreddit, on the other hand, have been searching for the elusive Chapter 3 for months in a game already choked full of content.

Xpliskin

Here's a recap of what's supposedly in the demo and that no one has managed to unlock

-Attic room:
X8FvfWj.jpg

-Death sequence 2:
BSsmi8o.png

-Death sequence on the ground
j0KwRnZ.png

-Dragged away:
bshMiUe.jpg

-Unknown corridor
TLjmdl9.jpg

-Cop corridor, NOTICE THE DOUBLE DOORS
b5qiz5e.jpg

-Unseen photographs in the VCR room
xaFGNCH.jpg

-Basement room
vL3zGbz.png

-Last but not least, the LADDER present in the REAL WORLD
TCMQJ4O.jpg

This last one is very important.

Because the cockroaches are only present in the REAL world.

So there must be some way to make the ladder appear in the REAL world.

I'm actually starting to think they shipped a game-breaking bug with it.

carlsojo

^That pic with the double doors.. The guy with the light shining through... I wonder if that's Clancy when he's still outside filming.

Flo_Evans

So what does the audio say? logically it would be audio of the ghost girl giving hints to her location. I think you need to try and talk to the ghost. Your job is a paranormal investigator they always try and talk to the stupid ghosts.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Okay this is gonna be my last round at a gif joke here
v2vO9m.gif

KryM5n.gif

1wN5Qj.gif

In seriousness though, I really admire your guys dedication to seeing this through (albeit a little bit creeped out). If this does turn out to be a wild goose chase, then your efforts totally deserved a way better demo than what they put out.

Futaba

-Unseen photographs in the VCR room
xaFGNCH.jpg

The issue with this picture is that the secret doorway is closed, thus to get to that state you can't have obtained the fuse, or key - We know these have not been obtained in this instance because when you use the doorway it remains open for the rest of the demo until you get family'd.
Without fuse: Can't get to the loft and trigger phonecall
Without key: Can't leave the back door and get family'd

Which more or less tells me that various clips from the video are just areas they designed but didnt include, and different versions of areas they did while they were still experimenting with item placement.

Imagine a whole game like this except better, like PT. Why nobody has made it is beyond me. Look at this thread for a 30? minute teaser that has next to nothing. It's probably going to hit 6k posts even if nothing is found. Imagine a 3 or so hour long PT type game where the community actually has to come together to solve it.

I hope devs can learn some things from PT and this. They're leaving money on the table right now.

For ideas for puzzles just look at the crazy shit the community has come up with.

Xpliskin

Wait, Capcom said the protagonist of RE7 isn't in the demo right? So this has to be in the demo because he has the same designed shirt.

Yes that's exactly my point.

This is the same protagonist of the demo.

All other segments of the TAPE I trailer are in the demo.

It doesn't make sense to have them in subsequent demos, it wouldn't be called "TAPE I".

All demos are supposed to show each aspect of the game (combat, puzzle-solving, exploration, ... )

The car driving and shooting must be in upcoming demos.

But all that's shown in that trailer must be in this demo, only we can't unlock it.

Don't tell me two maps, a few models, sounds/music/player sounds and 30 minutes worth of dialogue take up 3 GB of space, it just doesn't make sense.

Futaba

Imagine a whole game like this except better, like PT. Why nobody has made it is beyond me. Look at this thread for a 30? minute teaser that has next to nothing. It's probably going to hit 6k posts even if nothing is found. Imagine a 3 or so hour long PT type game where the community actually has to come together to solve it.

I hope devs can learn some things from PT and this. They're leaving money on the table right now.

For ideas for puzzles just look at the crazy shit the community has come up with.

To be honest i've been toying with the idea of making such a game for a long while now, not really focused on graphics but just on a thick story and devilish puzzles to solve, something that would take similar such community efforts to pick apart and solve, but the problem is I'd have to do it on PC, and sooner or later someone would pick apart the code and spoil it for everyone else just so they get to be the one that figured it all out!

Still might give it a shot, though.

Persona7

Banned
So what does the audio say? logically it would be audio of the ghost girl giving hints to her location. I think you need to try and talk to the ghost. Your job is a paranormal investigator they always try and talk to the stupid ghosts.

The "press any button" menu song with the voice clip does have a hint about being by the door which is the first sighting. I wonder if there are more clips for the other locations.

Venom Fox

Banned
Jesus. Me and Brau have been saying this for day... There's a shit ton of screens that HAVE to logically be from the demo.

Although I do think the demo was designed to ship like that. Being family'd I mean. It's over. There's nothing more to do.

Snake017

GAF, i need your help, i think i am crazy lol.
Yesterday i was watching this stream, https://www.twitch.tv/runebee/v/72845620 at 05:47:50 there are some whisperings.

I don't know if i'm crazy but from the first 10 seconds i'm hearing "...About us, the microphone.."

So if i'm correct, maybe its like PT and we have to prononce the name of the couple("Jack & Marguerite")

Maybe i'm wrong but i wanted to share this!
And sorry if it has already been mentionned.

(Wav file for those interested)
https://mega.nz/#!5Rh3WCoT!g0823vOJwdoC5G87mH7dCBFNAtyKn4wTTxt8dsEbM-w
I'll join the Family if wrong !

will0wis

Yes that's exactly my point.

This is the same protagonist of the demo.

All other segments of the TAPE I trailer are in the demo.

It doesn't make sense to have them in subsequent demos, it wouldn't be called "TAPE I".

All demos are supposed to show each aspect of the game (combat, puzzle-solving, exploration, ... )

The car driving and shooting must be in upcoming demos.

But all that's shown in that trailer must be in this demo, only we can't unlock it.

Don't tell me two maps, a few models, sounds/music/player sounds and 30 minutes worth of dialogue take up 3 GB of space, it just doesn't make sense.

Then do your debug magic! Please!!!! D:

Moofers

When I first started the demo, the first thing I tried to do was play the piano. The piano lid closes and you cannot play it. At first I thought this was just a scare, but then I got thinking about Moonlight Sonata. Resident Evil famously plays Moonlight Sonata when you interact with pianos. It occurred to me that maybe the piano was the last step - the goal is to do everything else correctly, then try to play the piano. If you have done it correctly, you will actually play the piano.

While I have seen this idea come up a few times, it doesn't seem to be the basis of very much testing. If the piano is the last step, then what is the correct sequence?

People have pointed out that there are distinct numbers written or marked on various items and objects in the house. There are some photos in this imgur album, but it's not 100% correct: http://m.imgur.com/a/qvNqz

So let's look at what is correct.

1. There is a 1 written on the box under the TV.
2. There is a 2 on the nail of the dummy finger.
3. There is a 3 on the door of the chained armoire.
4. The "u" in the revised note after the tape is a 4, but the axe also has a 4 on it.
5. Unknown
6. The bloody handle of the scissors in the finger drawer DOES look like a 6.
7. In the comments of a thread on Reddit, somebody says there is a "big 7" above the piano. But my girlfriend is currently asleep on me and I can't reach the controller to check for myself.

But if there IS a 7 above the piano, this helps my theory that playing the piano is the final step. These other numbers must indicate some kind of sequence, meaning we have to find #5 and possibly #6, figure out how to "use" them, then play the piano...

I vaguely remember a 6 on the VHS tape, but I could be misremembering. If there is a 6 on the tape, that would be more conclusive than the bloody scissors.

Plus there are sevens everywhere. Seven voodoo dolls, seven appearances of the ghost girl, "go tell aunt Rhody that everybody's (dead)" is seven words, with the final word missing, possibly indicating the nature of the seven-step puzzle.

I just tested your theory about doing the piano last....no dice :(

Xpliskin

New theory, theory E:

Faucet indicates that there's still water running.

Try to find a pipe with a weak point and hit it with the axe to trigger something.

(I' ain't running out of ideas )

Moofers

Well, now I have a new theory to test out. I'm wondering if you can play through the VHS section with the sound all the way down but go up to the second floor and see if there's any noise that comes out when you look at the headphones.

Wild guess here again.

Maybe we have to screenshot pictures and wall-picture ( dont know the word, i'm french lol ), then play with constrast on Photoshop ?

If the audio need that "out-of-the-game" work, maybe we need it for other things.

Top Bottom