• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

Kyolux

Did anyone ever successfully get all the appearances of the ghost in one run yet? I bet it doesn't do anything, but I was wondering if anyone managed to accomplish it. I rarely ever was able to get the ghost to appear on the times I went through the VHS. I saw her maybe twice in all my times going through it.

Someone got 6/7 on stream apparently yesterday. They thought they had found a way to trigger them, but couldn't replicate.

Persona7

Banned
Did anyone ever successfully get all the appearances of the ghost in one run yet? I bet it doesn't do anything, but I was wondering if anyone managed to accomplish it. I rarely ever was able to get the ghost to appear on the times I went through the VHS. I saw her maybe twice in all my times going through it.

It seems to be completely random and not based on a trigger or timing. I once got three in one sequence and that seemed to be incredible luck.

The boarded up door under the stairs intrigues me. Every room except the pantry serves a purpose, other than having the ghost girl appear in it. From the way the house is designed, it could be an alternate way into the basement?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Having trouble triggering the ghosts myself, too. Think I might boost the brightness on my next go round and see if it helps.

If you go through the tape a bunch of times looking in the right spots at around the times other people have documented seeing her, you'll eventually catch her a few times.

I never really found the timing for the window one, and some of the others seem incredibly rare, but I was eventually able to see all of them at least once. Some of them seem to appear very often. I saw 1, 6, and 7 many times before I got the kitchen and stair appearances.

Scratch

So I've been lurking in the thread for a while and just wanted to offer my 2 cents.

As far as I can tell, the game has been very deliberate about teaching you how to progress up to a point (where we are now). What I mean by that is that the demo forces the players to experience certain things in playthroughs before unlocking the new things, so to speak.

For example, a fresh player will start, wander around the house, then eventually find the bolt cutter and video tape. They'll then plop it in, watch its entirety where they discover the trapdoor in the past. They then go to it in the present, activate the same trap door, find the back door key, try to leave and get "welcomed."

So what does the player do now? Well he spawns again, goes straight for the secret lever, open the trap door and voila - there's not only a key but the missing fuselage(?). So now the player has access to a new part of the house that they didn't have access to before. So they go up, find a phone, answer it and get a message. After the message, "welcomed," yada yada yada.

So while there does seem to be this sort of incoherent jumble of information thrown at us, I feel that the developers are trying to nudge us in the right direction in order to progress to the next sequence. Following this logic I think rather than focus on the finger and the axe, we should focus on the messages that we get from the phone in order to get to the next part of the demo. I have no doubt that the finger will come in handy eventually, but the game has really given us no indication that we need to use it just yet.

With that in mind I want to focus on the three messages we can get (so far) from the phone:

1) memories hold the truth, don't let appearances deceive you
2) you have to say goodbye eventually, but will you be ready
3) you have the power to choose, but the outcome of that choice may not be what you expect

I don't actually have the demo so I'm not sure what circumstances bring about each particular phone message, but each different way to get each specific phone message might also be a clue as to how to solve them.

Edit: I also have a feeling that all 3 phone messages are supposed to used together somehow to unlock the next area. I don't think they're referencing 3 separate things.

I know some people say this demo isn't scary but I just finished it for the first time and it scared the shit out of me. And I'm a horror veteran. This is way scarier than any RE in a long time

I know some people say this demo isn't scary but I just finished it for the first time and it scared the shit out of me. And I'm a horror veteran. This is way scarier than any RE in a long time
Well, most of us have been playing this for hours with the brightness intentionally maxed out.

I found the demo to be terrifying when I first played it, too. In fact, I still get slightly creeped out by the mannequins turning around when you put your back to them. It's such an eerie environment, and we are kind of thrown into it with little to know idea about what's actually going on. The developers did a fantastic job creating a chilling atmosphere that keeps the player engaged and cautious about their decisions.

So I've been lurking in the thread for a while and just wanted to offer my 2 cents.

As far as I can tell, the game has been very deliberate about teaching you how to progress up to a point (where we are now). What I mean by that is that the demo forces the players to experience certain things in playthroughs before unlocking the new things, so to speak.

For example, a fresh player will start, wander around the house, then eventually find the bolt cutter and video tape. They'll then plop it in, watch its entirety where they discover the trapdoor in the past. They then go to it in the present, activate the same trap door, find the back door key, try to leave and get "welcomed."

So what does the player do now? Well he spawns again, goes straight for the secret lever, open the trap door and voila - there's not only a key but the missing fuselage(?). So now the player has access to a new part of the house that they didn't have access to before. So they go up, find a phone, answer it and get a message. After the message, "welcomed," yada yada yada.

So while there does seem to be this sort of incoherent jumble of information thrown at us, I feel that the developers are trying to nudge us in the right direction in order to progress to the next sequence. Following this logic I think rather than focus on the finger and the axe, we should focus on the messages that we get from the phone in order to get to the next part of the demo. I have no doubt that the finger will come in handy eventually, but the game has really given us no indication that we need to use it just yet.

With that in mind I want to focus on the three messages we can get (so far) from the phone:

3) you have the power to choose, but the outcome of that choice may not be what you expect

I don't actually have the demo so I'm not sure what circumstances bring about each particular phone message, but each different way to get each specific phone message might also be a clue as to how to solve them.
No, I think the one secret section in this demo is the attic. Finding the fuse on the second playthrough is the secret they put in this demo. I don't think there's anything more.

Besides, people have been reading into the phone messages for days now with no success. I don't there's anything to get from them.

Edit: I also have a feeling that all 3 phone messages are supposed to used together somehow to unlock the next area. I don't think they're referencing 3 separate things.

That's what I thought too. I think 1 is a hint towards the Axe, 2 that when the opportunity to truly leave comes, the player might miss it and "not be ready" for it. 3rd one stumbles me though. Maybe interacting with a certain item at a specific point does a different outcome, rather than the one we'd normally expect.

Keihart

Ok, maybe I should've actually watched the video entirely. I think this might be fake. Whispers start happening after a plugging in a microphone and on top of that, the whispers seem a bit too obvious. Even with all the sounds up, you'd be able to hear most of them. I mean there is even some loud obvious whispering throughout. It even happens during the title screen when the main character wakes up and stuff. I dunno...

If you leave the press button screen for a while you start hearing whispers, they are not recordable with share but they are there. Press button screen has no audio in share videos.

I'll watch the video to see what you are actually talking about tho.

consoul

Okay family, I'm still convinced the spindle icon is a key piece of the puzzle, and I have a new theory. To recap:

Start the VHS, pause the tape as soon as the tracking noise disappears (before Pete says 'boo!'). Wait 30 seconds.
A spinning tape spindle icon appears in the bottom right of the screen.

Some people have dismissed this as an insignificant loading icon, but I don't believe it is. The load/save icons elsewhere in the demo are a small ring in the top left. If this were a loading icon, why would it appear in this scenario (and nowhere else on the tape), and why would it never complete loading and disappear? It stays on screen indefinitely.

Furthermore, the VHS tape icon in the inventory has two small icons beneath it. All other items that have one purpose have one icon beneath them indicating their purpose. The VHS tape has two. One looks like the underside of an open (ie. playing) VHS tape, the other looks like this spindle icon. Making this icon appear is the tape's second purpose.
tape_zpsgw0t22u8.png

Something had been bugging me about the visual appearance of the tape spindle icon, and I've worked out what it is. The spindle that appears is not a VHS tape spindle. It's an audio casette tape spindle. VHS tape spindles have 9 teeth and look nothing like this one. This one has 6 teeth and looks exactly like an audio casette tape spindle.
The video tape is paused, but the audio tape spindle is rolling, as if it's recording. I think this is the point in the demo where it's listening for us to say the magic word.

What is the word? My first guess would be 'goodbye'.
"You will have to say goodbye eventually."

I can't test it right now, and I really don't know what it's listening for or what other conditions may need to be fulfilled, but I'm now convinced the spindle icon is telling us audio is involved at that point.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
So are we thinking RE7 is going to involve more than just Zombies? Looks like ghosts are a thing now?

Well they already showed they were willing to explore that with early RE4 experiments.

Keihart

Okay family, I'm still convinced the spindle icon is a key piece of the puzzle, and I have a new theory. To recap:

Start the VHS, pause the tape as soon as the tracking noise disappears (before Pete says 'boo!'). Wait 30 seconds.

Some people have dismissed this as an insignificant loading icon, but I don't believe it is. The load/save icons elsewhere in the demo are a small ring in the top left. If this were a loading icon, why would it appear in this scenario (and nowhere else on the tape), and why would it never complete loading and disappear? It stays on screen indefinitely.

Furthermore, the VHS tape icon in the inventory has two small icons beneath it. All other items that have one purpose have one icon beneath them indicating their purpose. The VHS tape has two. One looks like the underside of an open (ie. playing) VHS tape, the other looks like this spindle icon. Making this icon appear is the tape's second purpose.

Something had been bugging me about the visual appearance of the tape spindle icon, and I've worked out what it is. The spindle that appears is not a VHS tape spindle. It's an audio casette tape spindle. VHS tape spindles have 9 teeth and look nothing like this one. This one has 6 teeth and looks exactly like an audio casette tape spindle.

The video tape is paused, but the audio tape spindle is rolling, as if it's recording. I think this is the point in the demo where it's listening for us to say the magic word.

I can't test it right now, and I really don't know what it's listening for or what other conditions may need to be fulfilled, but I'm now convinced the spindle icon is telling us audio is involved at that point.

Someone test this, i'm playing Oxenfree and since checkpoints are not clear don't want to quit, but this make too much sense.

Moofers

This is an amazing theory.

menacin

Banned

this is some deep philosophical sheeeit.,

like. we are already dead.

like, our memory of our death. and.. dont let this appearance of life deceive us.

we have to choose to say goodbye and the outcome will not be what we expect..

Scratch

does anybody have a list of the aesthetic between the house in the past vs the house in the present? I'm going off the phone messages here and am curious.

Off the top of my head:
-no mannequins in past
-no voodoo dolls in past
-headphones in past
-sacks of meat in present fridge
-is house layout the same? Exactly?
-piano in past house as well?

Due to the nature of the phone messages I suspect that the next clue has something to do with exploring the video tape. Since the first playthrough would make the player want to follow the npcs around, maybe the phone messages are encouraging you to leave them behind and explore on your own?
Is there anything outside the house you can see before you begin?
Is there anything in the basement that seems interesting before you trigger the Andre death scene?
Is all the furniture in the present also there on tape?

Again, I don't have the demo, so if somebody (who's still curious) could look around for me, I'd greatly appreciate it :D

Something had been bugging me about the visual appearance of the tape spindle icon, and I've worked out what it is. The spindle that appears is not a VHS tape spindle. It's an audio casette tape spindle. VHS tape spindles have 9 teeth and look nothing like this one. This one has 6 teeth and looks exactly like an audio casette tape spindle

I think you're right about it being a cassette. I originally thought so, but changed my mind at some point for some reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone had already tried speaking at that point, but it's probably the only thing I haven't tried regarding that pause screen.

The reason I think it's for loading is because I can get it to show up here at the 13 second mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2xVxaCTdFw

Though the part where it stays on screen indefinitely is curious. Could be a display glitch? Hell, maybe me getting it to show up at startup is the glitch, who knows! It's a good theory though.

carlsojo

I'd be more convinced if the cassette tape had seven spindles.
just kidding.

The reason I think it's for loading is because I can get it to show up here at the 13 second mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2xVxaCTdFw

Though the part where it stays on screen indefinitely is curious. Could be a display glitch? Hell, maybe me getting it to show up at startup is the glitch, who knows! It's a good theory though.

Have you been able to get it to appear consistently at start? I only tried once and assumed I screwed it up since I was trying to test something else at the time.

Futaba

does anybody have a list of the aesthetic between the house in the past vs the house in the present?

Full list:
-no mannequins in past
-no voodoo dolls in past
-headphones in past
-no meat near back door in past
-no meat hook on wall by back door in past
-no stacked rusty cans to the left of the kitchen cabinets and in the corner by the door you come in from in past
-fusebox in livingroom is moved over by about 2ft, white power cable retains the original position and no power is getting to it in past
-no VCR on top of TV in past
-no chairs in kitchen in past
-faucet not dripping in past
-no voodoo dolls in pantry in past
-different back door in past
-no cockroaches in cooking pot or around kitchen in past
-less 'grime' in past
-no jar falls from the fridge on to the floor in past
-simplygon sticker on right side of microwave is missing in past
-no crates upstairs in past
-ladders present in secret hallway in past
-no stool (where fuse is normally located) in secret hallway in past
-no notes in livingroom in past

typist

Hey everyone, I don't have a PS4 sadly but I've been reading up about this demo, watching some playthroughs and stuff - maybe someone's tested this already but if not then please do. The woman on the phone says several things:

"You have the power to choose. But the outcome of that choice may not be what you expect."
"Memories hold the truth. Don't let appearances mislead you."
"You will have to say goodbye eventually. But will you be ready?"

So "memories hold the truth" seems to indicate that the truth is in the past - in the VHS tape section. "Don't let appearances mislead you" - perhaps we are being misled in the VHS tape, perhaps it has more than one ending? "You will have to say goodbye eventually" - it occurred to me that in real life a camera only has so much battery and you can only watch a VHS recording for so long. So my question is - has anyone tried just doing nothing for a few hours in the VHS tape world? Maybe the battery runs out and your character puts the camera down, or maybe the tape just reaches the end and the screen goes static and you sit up in the future timeline? Maybe if you just wait long enough when that guy says: "You first" at the ladder then maybe he just goes first eventually? Might be worth trying. Maybe even just leave the game on for a few days and then the cops come looking for you?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hey everyone, I don't have a PS4 sadly but I've been reading up about this demo, watching some playthroughs and stuff - maybe someone's tested this already but if not then please do. The woman on the phone says several things:

"You have the power to choose. But the outcome of that choice may not be what you expect."
"Memories hold the truth. Don't let appearances mislead you."
"You will have to say goodbye eventually. But will you be ready?"

So "memories hold the truth" seems to indicate that the truth is in the past - in the VHS tape section. "Don't let appearances mislead you" - perhaps we are being misled in the VHS tape, perhaps it has more than one ending? "You will have to say goodbye eventually" - it occurred to me that in real life a camera only has so much battery and you can only watch a VHS recording for so long. So my question is - has anyone tried just doing nothing for a few hours in the VHS tape world? Maybe the battery runs out and your character puts the camera down, or maybe the tape just reaches the end and the screen goes static and you sit up in the future timeline? Maybe if you just wait long enough when that guy says: "You first" at the ladder then maybe he just goes first eventually? Might be worth trying

huh, it would actually impress me if the solution was to let the camera battery die lol. Smart ideas.

This..... makes sense. It's definitely the first sensible, and actionable plan I have seen regarding actually doing something with that icon.

I'm going to bed, but if anyone is still trying to figure stuff out, I have something for y'all to try and reproduce. It could just be a one-time thing, or an actual clue.

I was trying to think outside the box a little bit, and here's exactly what I did:

1. Opened fireplace trapdoor.
2. Picked up fuse.
3. Inserted fuse into fuse box.
4. Picked up bolt-cutters.
5. Unlocked cabinet and picked up VHS.
6. Put VHS into VCR and watched tape.
7. Picked up lock pick.
8. Unlocked drawer.
9. Stopped tape.
10. Retrieved axe.
11. Went back to watch tape.
12. At this point, I kept stopping and starting the tape until I spotted the ghost in the kitchen outside the window. (I spotted the first two ghosts on multiple occasions)
13. Finally spotted the ghost in the kitchen window, next to the sink.
14. Stopped the tape.
15. Went back to the kitchen and turned the sink faucet, and I heard a distinct knock afterward.

So, does that mean this did something? I'm not sure...nothing that I noticed, at least. But that's kinda why I want to see if someone can duplicate this. The way the sound effects in this game work, with the knocks and clicks and so on, it could have just been a random knock that happened to occur after I turned off the sink.

Here's the video of the knock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhLTB5YK7Kc

Have you been able to get it to appear consistently at start? I only tried once and assumed I screwed it up since I was trying to test something else at the time.
Yes. You have to mash START and press "Next" right away. If you don't fly through the startup really fast, you don't see it.

Xpliskin

I like this theory.

I'm watching the spindle loop right now.

I'm gonna leave it on for 1h50, the time that the tape shows when it's all over.

Someone try the goodbye on the mic.

what the hell am I doing with my life

Top Bottom