• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

SexyFish

Banned
I just got the horrible idea that the only reason for the finger is for the tutorial on how to open your inventory. In a run with no previous ideas about the game it would likely be the first item you find.

Zanzura

So, has anyone been desperate enough to try plugging in a peripheral such as a PS Move controller or a keyboard (try and dial a number on the phone?) and see if those do anything? Personally, I don't think there's anything more to this teaser. Since someone pointed out that uploading a video results in a default title of RE7 - Demo 1 or something along those lines, I'm inclined to believe there's going to be an update or a second demo that teases the combat mechanics. Plus there's that interview (I think it was Famitsu?) where one of the devs said they really wanted to say "You can download the demo right now!" That suggests to me they might have rushed this demo out to make the announcement that much juicier. It might explain the weird glitches/lack of QA people have found such as the attic door disappearing, being able to push things through the blocked door under the stairs, the house not making spatial sense, the empty/unfinished attic room, and the bloody finger/axe having no use.

I'll be happy to be wrong though, I would love to see what the combat is like or if there are any more puzzles to solve.

DSix

Banned
Has someone tried refusing to go down the ladder in VHS world? Like make the cameraman wait until maybe the host would go down first?

I've had another thought, has anyone tried turning off their controller as soon as they start playing the VHS tape? Then maybe we get to watch the real actions of the camera man

I just tried this. Disconnected the controller at the color test, but it seems to automatically pause the VHS footage as soon as it starts. Seems like an easy way to see the cassette icon or get the audio glitch where all the sound on the tape works except no one has a voice until they reach the front door. It was a good idea though.

Javin98

Banned
I'm almost convinced that the "Memories hold the truth. Don't let appearances deceive you" message is about the VHS tape. Perhaps there is something we are missing. A clear discrepancy between past and present.

It took an hour but I managed to see the seven instances of the ghost girl in a single run. I had to stop and start the tape but nothing changed once I did that.

Okay. You win Capcom. I was your staunchest defender. I gave you the supreme benefit of the doubt - that this had to have an ending via a secret unlock method.

I'm now convinced this demo is a marketing teaser demo, that will be updated in the months to come leading up to the game's release. As we get closer to launch, each subsequent trailer will be one new chapter of the teaser. We'll also likely get a new tape with each part.

Honestly, i'm not even disappointed if my assessment turns out to be true. I'm just annoyed that they couldn't just come out & say this. There really is no need for the cloak & dagger secrecy.

What finally had me convinced of this was when I carefully inspected the barricade around the door on the 3rd floor. It's very shoddily, hastily put together. In fact, the quality of this asset is a few shades poorer than almost any other asset in the teaser. It's barely hinged onto the door properly - there are several staples that don't even lay flush with the door asset. Its a reused copy paste asset of the boarded up door on the 1st floor that doesn't fit. We know that that room is featured in a cinematic with family man. We know that the room has proper lighting & geometry. So, its all just a ruse.

This is the company who botched the community management part of SFV's post-launch support. I'm not even surprised that this company is refusing to answer such a simple question, because this isn't unique to just Beginning Hour - having Capcom answer a question about anything, ANYTHING, is like pulling teeth. They are easily the worst when it comes to communicating with their customers.

Is there any 3 digit code anyone can think of? I think the quote, "Make sure the sound is just right", may suggest changing the three audio options to an exact setting.

I'm almost convinced that the "Memories hold the truth. Don't let appearances deceive you" message is about the VHS tape. Perhaps there is something we are missing. A clear discrepancy between past and present.

There isn't one - there are several discrepancies between the past & the present. The back door asset is completely different, the fuse box is placed several meters away - I don't think any of this has to do with whats in the video though.

Is there any 3 digit code anyone can think of? I think the quote, "Make sure the sound is just right", may suggest changing the three audio options to an exact setting.

Try 242. When my friend decoded the lamp's potential morse code pattern, he came up with 2421. Dunno if that fits anywhere for ya though. Could be something.

Archtreyz

That happens after you fully watch the tape and pick up the key, it's the family man you see passing by the VHS room's door.
I had it happen to me before I watched tape. I had just picked it up and then tried the fridge. When I did that, the chairs fell down.

News Bot

Banned
Okay. You win Capcom. I was your staunchest defender. I gave you the supreme benefit of the doubt - that this had to have an ending via a secret unlock method.

I'm now convinced this demo is a marketing teaser demo, that will be updated in the months to come leading up to the game's release. As we get closer to launch, each subsequent trailer will be one new chapter of the teaser. We'll also likely get a new tape with each part.

Honestly, i'm not even disappointed if my assessment turns out to be true. I'm just annoyed that they couldn't just come out & say this. There really is no need for the cloak & dagger secrecy.

What finally had me convinced of this was when I carefully inspected the barricade around the door on the 3rd floor. It's very shoddily, hastily put together. In fact, the quality of this asset is a few shades poorer than almost any other asset in the teaser. It's barely hinged onto the door properly - there are several staples that don't even lay flush with the door asset. Its a reused copy paste asset of the boarded up door on the 1st floor that doesn't fit. We know that that room is featured in a cinematic with family man. We know that the room has proper lighting & geometry. So, its all just a ruse.

This is the company who botched the community management part of SFV's post-launch support. I'm not even surprised that this company is refusing to answer such a simple question, because this isn't unique to just Beginning Hour - having Capcom answer a question about anything, ANYTHING, is like pulling teeth. They are easily the worst when it comes to communicating with their customers.

Why would they want to give it away and end all the fanfare and speculation over it? This sort of thing is a wet dream for any company.

chrono01

Yeah, I think that's it for this demo. Since this demo was called "Kitchen", maybe the next patch the game receives will be another area with a secondary tape ("Cellar", for example). Maybe there will even be a cross-save feature, where progress from the first demo (such as the mannequin finger and the axe) will carry over to the next one.

I am loving all of these theories however, haha.

Why would they want to give it away and end all the fanfare and speculation over it? This sort of thing is a wet dream for any company.

Because the moment they update, they will give it away. The point is, they could, at the very least communicate that there is indeed a puzzle meant to solve. They could clarify that there is indeed more than just the phone & the backdoor. There are absolutely ways they could clarify whether our efforts are in vain or if there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes, they do stand to gain from not answering it and letting fans just go crazy trying to figure out every possible solution. But ya know what? There most likely isn't one. Not with the amount of work that has been done with the variables we have on hand. There is no chance a single possibility has been missed at this point. Its either an external factor to very specific in-game instructions, or the capability has not bee implemented yet. The fact that we can get the upstairs door to not load, but still have the barricade on it, indicates that the barrier is not intended to leave until the game is updated accordingly.

Yeah, I think that's it for this demo. Since this demo was called "Kitchen", maybe the next patch the game receives will be another area with a secondary tape ("Cellar", for example). Maybe there will even be a cross-save feature, where progress from the first demo (such as the mannequin finger and the axe) will carry over to the next one.

They've already started a numbering & naming convention with the first trailer ("Tape 1 - Desolation"). I imagine each trailer will have a subsequent tape, which introduces a new patch into the teaser, which will likely introduce a new tape into the teaser world.

Either that, or the game has a built-in time release set into the code of the game. It could be that the teaser does a server call on start-up to verify the date & time, then changes the environment accordingly. This would be the perfect way to just have the game client update someday without giving a patch to players. And since the teaser is digital only, you're basically ensuring all players connected to the internet at least once to download it.

Wazzy

Banned
I think there's still more in the demo. The original Kitchen VR demo had a longer ending involving the
two tied up and it's pretty much the exact same as what's in this but you actually see what happens to the character you play as in the VHS. We might get the longer one where we see the character die after getting head stomped or something in the room we can't access.

News Bot

Banned
Because the moment they update, they will give it away. The point is, they could, at the very least communicate that there is indeed a puzzle meant to solve. They could clarify that there is indeed more than just the phone & the backdoor. There are absolutely ways they could clarify whether our efforts are in vain or if there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes, they do stand to gain from not answering it and letting fans just go crazy trying to figure out every possible solution. But ya know what? There most likely isn't one. Not with the amount of work that has been done with the variables we have on hand. There is no chance a single possibility has been missed at this point. Its either an external factor to very specific in-game instructions, or the capability has not bee implemented yet. The fact that we can get the upstairs door to not load, but still have the barricade on it, indicates that the barrier is not intended to leave until the game is updated accordingly.

Yeah, when they update. By then most people will have given up, and they'd simply be injecting new life into it with people scrambling to make sense of it again. It's a stroke of marketing genius. It's a demo, not a retail game that has seemingly locked out with no chance of progression. They do not need to answer any questions about it because that would spoil the mystery, which is likely to be an on-going marketing strategy leading up to the game's release.

Sacul64GC

Banned
So is there any other keys words someone could say other than goodbye that might trigger something?

Edit: Anything like "Everyone is dead" or like a poster said above, the one spoken line in the trailer?

The names of one of the other two guys perhaps to play as them instead?

chrono01

They've already started a numbering & naming convention with the first trailer ("Tape 1 - Desolation"). I imagine each trailer will have a subsequent tape, which introduces a new patch into the teaser, which will likely introduce a new tape into the teaser world.

Either that, or the game has a built-in time release set into the code of the game. It could be that the teaser does a server call on start-up to verify the date & time, then changes the environment accordingly. This would be the perfect way to just have the game client update someday without giving a patch to players. And since the teaser is digital only, you're basically ensuring all players connected to the internet at least once to download it.
Definitely sounds plausible to me.

I think there's still more in the demo. The original Kitchen VR demo had a longer ending involving the
two tied up and it's pretty much the exact same as what's in this but you actually see what happens to the character you play as in the VHS. We might get the longer one where we see the character die after getting head stomped or something in the room we can't access.
I'd love for there to be more to it, but Capcom's silence on it is kind of telling. I don't expect them to state the solution outright, but at least confirm that there's a proper ending to the demo (and not just the two that we know of).

Keep going though, guys. If anyone cracks this, it'll be you!

Inviusx

You all deserve a pat on the back for your efforts. Its been fun reading this thread for the last few days.

Cant wait for January now...

-MD-

Yeah I said this a couple pages back, since it's titled "Tape-1 Desolation" there's probably going to be a "Tape-2" demo/update later on.

The video from the e3 conference looks like scenes from a different tape, you even have Clancy commenting on Andre's death after popping in the 11:40pm vhs, the vhs in the demo where Andre dies takes place at 10:23pm

I just tried this. Disconnected the controller at the color test, but it seems to automatically pause the VHS footage as soon as it starts. Seems like an easy way to see the cassette icon or get the audio glitch where all the sound on the tape works except no one has a voice until they reach the front door. It was a good idea though.

Does this method get you the spinner or the audio during the pause screen? It would be awesome to have a method to do the latter. It sometimes takes me several tries.

About the sound levels during the spindle. I've seen numbers like 10-3-2, 0-0-0, and 7-7-7 get thrown around. I think I've tried those three, but I haven't done anything like speaking into a mic or any detailed exploration of the house afterward.

Gandalf

That spindle audio thing sounds promising, if there is indeed more to it. Maybe nobody has said the right prompt yet.

Perhaps we're completely overthinking it? I mean... if you awoke in an unfamiliar creepy as fuck place, would you go around playing a piano, and knocking over cans not caring? No. You'd try to be as quiet as a mouse. I'm not looking through 100 pages to see if it's been suggested already, but maybe if you're quiet enough (no kicking over cans, maybe even crouch and walk slowly everywhere) maybe everyone's favourite Dad won't hear you? Just a thought.

This would be so cool. I'm hoping the update comes out this Tuesday (7 days after) instead of during Gamescom. I don't want this teasing to last for months.

Wazzy

Banned
Definitely sounds plausible to me.

I'd love for there to be more to it, but Capcom's silence on it is kind of telling. I don't expect them to state the solution outright, but at least confirm that there's a proper ending to the demo (and not just the two that we know of).

Keep going though, guys. If anyone cracks this, it'll be you!
I guess I just don't see it doing anything good for Capcom if there's nothing else to be found.

But yeah the people who are playing non-stop are awesome and I hope it can be cracked soon. I'll hopefully be joining in with my group of friends tomorrow
The names of one of the other two guys perhaps to play as them instead?
Hey anything should be said and tried. There could be a ridiculous keyword needed to be said to trigger it.

Yeah I said this a couple pages back, since it's titled "Tape-1 Desolation" there's probably going to be a "Tape-2" demo/update later on.

The video from the e3 conference looks like scenes from a different tape, you even have Clancy commenting on Andre's death after popping in the 11:40pm vhs, the vhs in the demo where Andre dies takes place at 10:23pm

Has anyone analyzed the quick cuts in this? There's quite a bit of different stuff in there like the police officer, the quote you mentioned, there's the old man leaning over you and there's family man in the area we can't access I think hitting the player with something? and there's someone on fire outside

About the hint in the email about doing the same thing multiple times. I've done this with the phone before. I was getting different calls when doing the same steps, so it's possible that is what they're referring to.

Not to discourage anyone who really wants to test more on their own.

Does this method get you the spinner or the audio during the pause screen? It would be awesome to have a method to do the latter. It sometimes takes me several tries.

About the sound levels during the spindle. I've seen numbers like 10-3-2, 0-0-0, and 7-7-7 get thrown around. I think I've tried those three, but I haven't done anything like speaking into a mic or any detailed exploration of the house afterward.

I got the cassette spindle, but no audio during the pause screen. There was audio when I reconnected the controller, but no voices until they reached the front door.

Seik

Banned
Played an hour tonight and stopped.

Today's news kinda stopped my motivation to just try stuff, honestly, but it sure was a nice ride. :)

Yes. This has been tested with relevant dates and times but that's it as far as I know.

The only thing we could do is, if it is a time release system, we could set the date really far ahead, then disconnect from the internet in-case the game is doing a server call to verify date & time. I highly doubt they would put such a glaring oversight like that in place, but this is Capcom; they forgot to put in a proper ragequit system in place for the SFV launch.

Top Bottom