• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
He became the greatest thing one can become, one with the force.
Apparently unless you are Yoda, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gonn, or Anakin, you completely dissolve into nothingness and cease to exist as a consciousness. This is from Clone Wars.

Quin-Gonn was the first being since the earliest days of the Jedi to maintain his consciousness and identity after death. Everyone else's soul just turns into energy and they are no more. It's weird to think there's this afterlife in Star Wars but only for a handful of Jedi.

Boke1879

The new trilogy is Star Wars, the anthology movies will have their own feel. But yea I don't see Rogue One rivaling TFA.

Yea. Those movies will more likely have smaller budgets. It'll have a different feel and I'm honestly excited for those as well. It'll be nice to flesh out the universe with different characters, events and settings.

SomTervo

Isn't it technically possible to die from broken heart? Some people have been known to suddenly die shortly after a loved one passed away prior. I think it mostly applies to some old people though...

Happened to Johnny Cash IIRC. In 2007 or something.

Obviously it's not simply 'death from heartbroke' but I think it causes a huge amount of depression and stress which can make traumas/illnesses that bit more dangerous.

GeekyDad

Ren looks like he has ridiculous power, no focus or technique though.

That's kind of what I took away from it. He was like an angry child, but a very gifted angry child. I guess that's why he's so easily influenced by Snoke. His Force powers are great, but he's lost as a person.

And that's why I had no real problems with the duel between him and Rey at the end. Though she had no training, she exhibits great self-control, inner strength and knows who she is as a person.

Pineapple

Wait what?! They expect episode VIII to be done in a year and a half. I thought this would be every December, that may thing makes no sense

I'm disappointed Star Wars is now moving to a May release schedule.

I love the fact that this film was released in the midst of the holiday season. Makes it feel more special for some reason. I felt the same way about the LOTR movies releasing in the middle of the holiday season as well.

Plus, it seems like the ideal time to release a new film - for the next 2 weeks, people will be with friends and family, and most people will have some time off. And no other big films are coming out to challenge it. It's the perfect released window.

But Disney is insistent in getting Episode VIII out in May of 2017 instead of December - Guardians of the Galaxy 2 comes out 3 weeks before, World War Z 2 and Divergent come out 2 weeks later, and Wonder Woman comes out less than a month later. Star Wars is king, but that's a crowded time to release a movie if you're expecting a healthy haul over many weeks.

I'm disappointed Star Wars is now moving to a May release schedule.

I love the fact that this film was released in the midst of the holiday season. Makes it feel more special for some reason. I felt the same way about the LOTR movies releasing in the middle of the holiday season as well.

Plus, it seems like the ideal time to release a new film - for the next 2 weeks, people will be with friends and family, and most people will have some time off. And no other big films are coming out to challenge it. It's the perfect released window.

But Disney is insistent in getting Episode VIII out in May of 2017 instead of December - Guardians of the Galaxy 2 comes out 3 weeks before, World War Z 2 and Divergent come out 2 weeks later, and Wonder Woman comes out less than a month later. Star Wars is king, but that's a crowded time to release a movie if you're expecting a healthy haul over many weeks.

Don't get me wrong I want a new movie right now but I hope the records this thing will break will convince Disney to give them extra time to make the best movie possible.

Anno

Ya'll saying you can't die of a broken heart clearly haven't read/watched Where the Red Fern Grows
dac15_sad.gif

SomTervo

But there is just way too much story there to pass over. Why is he hiding, how will he react to Han being dead, what is his reaction to his daughter showing up :p we will need some clunky conversation where they fill us in with backstory. The crawl can't do it cause the crawl doesn't talk about feelings or emotions.

That'll all be handled when Luke inevitably meets Leia at/before the half way mark of Ep 8. He'll talk to her frankly about it as is his is want.

Seriously, it wont be as bad as you're expecting :p writing fiction is a problem-solving exercise, and JJ et al are clearly pros.

jelly

So how will the next movie start, this is the first time we are left with a movie ending in the middle of a scene. Don’t you want to see what Luke says at that moment. If so then how the hell will an opening crawl work? Every Star Wars movie is years apart, so will they just skip a year later with Luke and Rey master and apprentice?

Quite a mess they have there.

Yeah, I really want to see that scene play out without a time jump. Maybe they don't want a training montage to fill the next film but if they are time skipping, damn give us something with Luke and Rey at the end of TFA.

What are the chances of the Blu-Ray being packed, Disney aren't going to go all Marvel and give us sod all.

Isn't it technically possible to die from broken heart? Some people have been known to suddenly die shortly after a loved one passed away prior. I think it mostly applies to some old people though...

It's silly as presented in RotS, but people need to be reminded these are fairytales. Fairytales do things like this often.

JB1981

Han Solo never should have got involved. I mean guy gets tortuted and frozen. Then has an evil antichrist son who ruins his relationship with leia and he ends up becoming a scoundrel again and then his son kills him and throws him to his death. Lol

Astral Dog

That's kind of what I took away from it. He was like an angry child, but a very gifted angry child. I guess that's why he's so easily influenced by Snoke. His Force powers are great, but he's lost as a person.

And that's why I had no real problems with the duel between him and Rey at the end. Though she had no training, she exhibits great self-control, inner strength and knows who she is as a person.
It looked to me like he certainly is not as strong as he appears, Rey got to him, he was shooted (after killing his father but still), Finn managed to put a decent battle.etc.
And Rey, who was untrained (as far as we know) beat him, he appeared as week in this movie imo. Not a bad thing, but he needs to improve a lot.
Rey is the one that looked special and strong, gifted like Anakin.

Han Solo never should have got involved. I mean guy gets tortuted and frozen. Then has an evil antichrist son who ruins his relationship with leia and he ends up becoming a scoundrel again and then his son kills him and throws him to his death. Lol
Dat smuggler life.

SomTervo

Haha, alternate universe where Han decides not to take Luke and pretty much just bosses around living the high life and making big bucks before retiring to a penthouse suite on Coruscant aged 60, no fucks given.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah, I really want to see that scene play out without a time jump. Maybe they don't want a training montage to fill the next film but if they are time skipping, damn give us something with Luke and Rey at the end of TFA.

What are the chances of the Blu-Ray being packed, Disney aren't going to go all Marvel and give us sod all.

One thing they could do if they want to start the next movie right where we left off is to have the text crawl be about what had been going on previously on Luke's end, as if VIII was the first movie but started with Luke and Rey meeting each other.

It could basically do a recap of what happened with him post VI, him losing Kylo, etc., and end with something like "Now a mysterious girl has come to him aboard the Millenium Falcon, with a relic of his past.". Cut to the end of VII.

Boke1879

This is making me more excited to see it again.

Loved my first viewing of it and kept up with everything pretty good. But there is A LOT going on. The 2nd time I knew how everything played out and I was able to let each scene kinda soak in. Listen to the little nuances in dialogue. Most things are explained, implied or assumed.

Also I definitely heard McGregor's voice during that flashback scene.

MrHoot

Completely agree with all this, which is why I love Kylo Ren a lot. He seems to have been a bit divisive among the fans. But I LOVE that he is what he is: basically a darth vader fanboy who's feeling inadequate. It's the best approach to a new dark jedi after Anakin and Darth Vader for me

#Kyloboy

legacyzero

Banned
I just saw it 2nd time last night and it held up great, though it wasn't nearly as fun without a midnight crowd to cheer for all the awesome shit. I think I'm seeing a 3rd time tonight.

Honestly I think it held up better the second time

I thought it was even better the second time around.
I think I might IMAX it this time tho. Ive never been to an IMAX show. Barely even know what it is. I hear its tha shit.

SomTervo

It looked to me like he certainly is not as strong as he appears, Rey got to him, he was shooted (after killing his father but still), Finn managed to put a decent battle.etc.
And Rey, who was untrained (as far as we know) beat him, he appeared as week in this movie imo. Not a bad thing, but he needs to improve a lot.
Rey is the one that looked special and strong, gifted like Anakin.

Yeah, i dont think he was fully committed to the Dark in this movie, but after killing Han, in the next he's going to be fucking dangerous, no doubt.

injurai

Banned
I think I might IMAX it this time tho. Ive never been to an IMAX show. Barely even know what it is. I hear its tha shit.

It is when a film is shot with an Imax camera, otherwise you get some slight artifacting from a blown up image. But the audio is always insane. Sometimes it can be a little too much.

Lando (who I'm sure knows Maz Kanata) will be pissed.

monome

So.
Kylo kills Ben. The son.
Kylo kils Lor San Tekka. The Lord Of the Church Force).
Kylo kills Han. The father.

Okay.
#teamantichrist

Puts into perspective Rey's necessary role as Space Jesus

Nightbird

Just watched the Movie.
I really liked it, but there was one thing i was disappointed with.

I wanted Finn to also have the Force. But maybe it'll happen in Part 8 :)

Other than that i was completely satisfied with the movie.

Poe and BB8 were the best

injurai

Banned
General Hux was the only newcomer that completely did not work for me, he didn't feel remotely authoritative or menacing.

I thought he was stronger at the beginning of the film, then he started feeling a bit whiny and grasping. His speech I thought felt powerful at first, but that too seemed to fall apart a bit as things go on. He certainly seems ideologically crazed, so I am interested to see where that character goes.

Boke1879

General Hux was the only newcomer that completely did not work for me, he didn't feel remotely authoritative or menacing.

Yea that character is entirely forgettable to me. The only thing I found remotely interesting is the Jockeying between him and Kylo for Snoke's approval.

Reminded me of Shadows of the Empire a bit with Vader and Xizor.

Tried 3D for my second viewing. I actually thought the 3D itself was pretty good...nice depth between the background and foreground that I didn't notice in my 2D viewing, but holy fuck the blurriness and the darkening of the picture was just not worth it.

They've got to find a solution for this with 3D moving forward.

Cheebo

Banned
The art of book confirms at one point there were plans to bring back Hayden Christensen as ghost Anakin to appear to Kylo Ren. And that his ghost would morph from Anakin to Vader back and forth.

Interesting....so I looked into it a bit more and the piece that plays is officially named Palpatine's Teachings. So yeah, not Plagueis theme. Buuut....I'm going to put my money in the bucket that Williams scoring both the way he did and the manner in which they were used can't be a coincidence. At least I hope. I kind of like the idea of Snoke being Plagueis.

The question would be "What the hell was Plagueis up to?" in the originals. I'd be pissed if it was some stupid puppet master story....he was behind the scenes the whole time. What I would LOVE is if he was truly afraid of Palpatine, so he stayed hidden until he died.

Reminds me of the Episode 1 victory music situation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQBu-0N0ag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom