• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

dustyherb

Another really good issue in my opinion.

-Fucking Beta is back! I really don’t want Jesus or Aaron to die or even Beta since he just got back. But I figure at least 1 of them will probabaly bite it.

-I love Rick and Mikey’s relationship but I’m also really worried. I feel like if Dwight attempts to overthrow Rick, Mikey might end up getting killed in the process or some shit like that. Or maybe Dwight turns Mikey and others against Rick? Idk but it feels like something big is about to happen with Rick and Alexandria.

-Im really digging the Princess so far and what an awesome fucking spear.

-Carl and Sophia fucking finally talking! I hope Sophia is actually involved more going forward.

-More Magna and Yumiko is always a good thing. Hopefully Kirkman doesn’t plan to kill either of them off anytime soon. It feels like we’re only just starting to know them.

-Something still feels off about William and The Kingdom. Idk what it is but I just don’t fully trust him and it’s weird how the community hasn’t gotten much focus. Maybe it’s nothing but I am definitely interested to see what Kirkman has planned for him and the community.

-What is Maggie going to do about Negan? Maybe she ends up getting William involved somehow? He noticed how worried she’s been lately.

-Also Sean and Kirkman teasing that the next ‘big thing’ starts in #175 this January. I’m guessing maybe something to do with Ohio?

Leeness

So spoilers for 8x01 have been out for, like, two weeks. Anyone interested? Haha.

It’s mostly an attack on the Sanctuary and some strange flash forwards?

Leeness

Hurrah! From Spoiling Dead Fans.

Q&A Episode 8.1 - "Mercy"
What is Carl doing at the gas station? Who does he meet and what happens?

They are planning the attack on the Saviors and the gas station is the rendezvous point for Carl and Rick meeting back up. There is a Muslim man (Siddiq?) lurking in the shadows and when he sees Carl he starts talking and basically begs Carl for help. But Rick shows up and fires off some shots to run him off. Carl is upset by this. (Carl later returns and brings him some food).

What's going on at Alexandria?

Very few shots at Alexandria. They are leaving for the big attack on the Sanctuary, and Michonne and Carl are among those who are to stay behind to defend the community just in case. Rosita also stays behind and is not happy about it.

What's up with all the explosions? What's their purpose?

There is a gigantic herd that is making its way along the highway (could possibly be the same one from last season), and the explosions are used to cause the herd to change direction and start going towards the Sanctuary. This is all part of a very elaborate plan of attack on the Sanctuary.

Who all takes part in the Sanctuary attack and what happens?

It's a very well-orchestrated attack. First, all of the Saviors at each of the lookouts are taken out. Then a motorcade of cars, each equipped with sheets of metal on the sides to act as shields, make their way to the Sanctuary. They take out the guards in the courtyard, break through the fence, and the fight is on. The RV is also rigged with explosives and when they go off that serves as the final explosion to lead the horde to the Sanctuary.

What are Daryl, Carol, Tara, and Morgan doing together?

Daryl, Carol, Tara, and Morgan are kind of the "horde team". They spend a great deal of time timing the horde and predicting where it will be at the time of the attack. That way, they can figure out exactly where to put the explosives. Daryl takes out most of the Saviors at the lookout posts. Although Rick does take 1 out and allows him to be eaten after the Savior taunts Rick and says that Negan is going to kill Carl for this. Most of the others are part of the caravan that goes directly to the Sanctuary.

What is Rick's demeanor like in this episode?

He's extremely confident at least in front of everybody especially Negan. But behind the scenes and before the attack, the fear is still definitely there and we can see it in his eyes.

What is Gregory doing at the Sanctuary?

Gregory is there and we assume has been there since he left the Hilltop last season. He makes a speech and says the Hilltop is loyal to Negan. And if anyone from the Hilltop continues to fight the Saviors, their families will be kicked out. When no one responds and they stay by Maggie's side, Simon gets pissed and pushes him down the stairs.

Do Negan and Father Gabriel get trapped together? How does that scene go down?

Yep. After Father G is ditched by Gregory (who took his car while Father G was saving his ass) the Sanctuary is overrun with walkers. So Gabriel goes into the only room he can find unlocked. Unfortunately, Negan found the same room and we get the shitting pants scene from the Comic-Con trailer.

Does anyone die?

Except for several Saviors at the lookout posts, no.

Does Rick take a picture of the Sanctuary? When does this happen and how does that scene play out?

Yes, he takes a Polaroid picture of Negan hunkering down and hiding during the attack and before he has to leave because the herd is coming.

**BONUS**

- "Old man Rick" visions run in spurts throughout the episode. The final one towards the end of the episode features Judith around 10 years old talking about an upcoming festival.

- Daryl and Dwight coordinate the attack through secret messages sent inside arrows.

Extra Tidbits:

- There is a brief scene where Michonne and Rick kiss goodbye before Rick leaves for the attack.

- The episode ends with a flashback to a portion of Rick's big inspirational battle-cry speech that also opened the episode.

- Michonne will be present in one of the "fast forward visions". Apparently while Rick has aged into old man Rick, Michonne's looks haven't changed at all. She retains her youthful beauty. Carl is in this vision too but apparently you can't see his face to see the age progression.

- Carol and Daryl hug and speak briefly right right before Carol, Tara, and Morgan part ways with Daryl so that he can go set off the explosives and get the herd heading for the Sanctuary.

- After the big battle at the Sanctuary, Carol joins up with Ezekiel and the other folks at the Kingdom, and there's an attack on this Savior outpost. A grenade does go off, but we don't get to see what happens next. We just see smoke, and because this was towards the end of the episode we won't get to see what happened next until 8.02.

- The episode title relates a little bit to Carl, but mostly to the new character he encounters (Sidiqq)

- When Gregory gives his speech at the Sanctuary about how the Hilltop stands with Negan, Jesus yells out, "The Hilltop stands with Maggie!!

er, I'd spoiler that, tho

eta: haha at this -
"Apparently while Rick has aged into old man Rick, Michonne's looks haven't changed at all. She retains her youthful beauty. Carl is in this vision too but apparently you can't see his face to see the age progression." - either it's a fake vision or they're being realistic about how Black women age! Ten year old Judith blows my mind.

You're right, and what comes after all this gets more difficult to film if they stay true to the comic.

eta: because I post too quickly - but ugh, why intro the garbage people then? They could have probably skipped that if it's ending soon. So I figure another season after this at least. Probably ten total, yeah?

Leeness

Well, I think the word is that Negan’s stuff is done this season, so they could get into the Whisperers with another couple seasons, and I think the leading theory is that garbage people might become the Whisperers.

So maybe we get Whisperers and they somehow wrap the show up from there?

I think they have to be linked in some way because what other purpose do the garbage people possibly serve? They could have done that situation last season a billion other ways.

Leeness

Yeah, exactly. But then, what purpose does Oceanside serve? Haha. Could just be random garbage people... but surely they must become the Whisperers.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well, I think the word is that Negan’s stuff is done this season, so they could get into the Whisperers with another couple seasons, and I think the leading theory is that garbage people might become the Whisperers.

So maybe we get Whisperers and they somehow wrap the show up from there?

That's the first thing that struck me when they were introduced. It isn't a big leap to go from living in literal garbage to wearing Walker skins. It would be weird to jump from similar groups back to back.

dustyherb

I think they have to be linked in some way because what other purpose do the garbage people possibly serve? They could have done that situation last season a billion other ways.
Maybe they brought them into the show simply so that Rick and the communities actually defeat someone in Season 8? If Negan is spared like in the comics and Dwight takes over the Saviors than I could see a lot of people disappointed. So maybe Jadis and the scavengers will be wipedout/killed to even it out.

border

I guess there's no thread for Walking Dead Season 8......so what did everyone think of the premiere?

I'm somebody who pretty much enjoys every episode, and I was pretty put-off by it. Why the flashbacks, flash forwards, and flash way-forwards? Why was Old Man Rick's beard so shitty and cheap looking? Why were the Alexandrians shooting out the windows of Negan's compound? Seems like a monumental waste of ammo. Why did nobody shoot Negan the moment he walked out to talk to them?

I don't even know what really the Alexandrians' plan was. Just lead a group of walkers to Negan's compound in the span of a couple hours? They did a really great job of keeping up with Daryl's bike. I think the reason they played with time-shifting so much in this episode was to make the events seem a bit more plausible.

Sir Doom

I'm surprised they did a mix time line on the premiere. I was about to like the Priest then he pulled that stupid move at the end 🤣

border

Daryl, Carol, Tara, and Morgan are kind of the "horde team". They spend a great deal of time timing the horde and predicting where it will be at the time of the attack.

Ohhh, so that's why that part didn't make any sense. We were supposed to believe that a horde of zombies motivated only by sound and bloodlust is somehow like the tides or the position of the sun in the sky.......that they can somehow "predict" where it will be at a particular point in time?

Top Bottom