• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
ws75tf.jpg

Developed by: Zindagi Games
Release Dates:
  • AU September 16, 2010
  • US September 17, 2010
  • EU September 17, 2010
  • Asia September 17, 2010
Genre: Sports
Mode: Single Player, Multiplayer
Rating: E10+ (ESRB), 12 (PEGI)

Trophy List

DLC? YES!
  • Unlock All - $1.99/£1.19/€1.49
    Sports Champions Unlock All gives you INSTANT access to all the unlockable content you can get by playing through the game. This includes cups, challenge modes, locations, characters, and outfits for each of the six sporting events.
  • Haunted Pack - $4.99/£3.99/€4.99
    The Sports Champions Haunted Pack enhances the world of Sports Champions with the addition of three new playable characters and spooky equipment for all six sporting events.

316ubsm.jpg

Playstation 3
Playstation Eye for the PS3
Playstation Move

aczkh3.jpg

25z5bpe.jpg
6tpcvn.jpg

Sports Champions (Individual)
$39.99
£29.99

i39ybp.jpg

Playstation Move Starter Bundle Set (w/ Sports Champions)
$99.99

2zzkemh.jpg

Playstation 3 w/ PlayStation Move Bundle and Sports Champions
$399.99

2hqaxl0.jpg

df7mol.jpg

In Table Tennis, players use a Move controller accurately as a paddle which allows players to volley very precisely, perform heavy spins, lobs and slams. The PlayStation Eye also monitors the player's body location to see how the player is positioned to adjust their character's orientation as well as position from the table. The precision of the Move also allows players to serve slices and spins accurately.

f9l9op.jpg

In Bocce, two people take turns throwing wooden balls at a similar looking, albeit smaller wooden ball located down the field from the players. The person who gets their ball(s) closer to the smaller ball wins the point (or, if they have multiple balls that are the closest to the smaller ball, they can win multiple points). The player can also hit an opponent's ball so it rolls in any given direction, either further away or closer to the target ball. The Move detects the weight, spin and release of each throw, and then translates that into the direction and movement of the ball.

feota0.jpg

With this sport, the player has no direct control over where the on screen character starts the match or stands. Instead of focusing on the placement of the character, the player is meant to concentrate on bumping, setting and spiking the ball. All of these three motions are not complicated, but the key to playing this game is timing. A coloured circle appears around the ball when it is coming to the player, and the size and colour of it lets the player know when it's best to make a motion and deliver a strike. This game is playable with both one or two Move controllers.

1266ycz.jpg

This is another sport in the game that allows a player to use either one or two Move controllers. When using two, the player hold one Move controller as if it was a bow, and the other as if it was an arrow. The player must reach back behind them and press and hold the T button to pull an arrow of of their quiver, notch the arrow by putting the two Move controllers next to each other, pull back with the Move that is controlling the arrow, and finally once the player has the desired tension, they must release the T button to fire the arrow. Depending on how far back you pull the arrow; the further it goes.

30boar9.jpg

The sport allows players to utilize two Move controllers with one as a weapon such as a giant Mallet and the other as a Shield. Players can also fill up power meter to unleash a two-hit combo on their opponent. Other controls also include players putting their hands on their hips to taunt the enemy as well as holding down the trigger and swinging the controller up to jump. The game will feature a wide-array of enemies as well as a large assortment of unlockable weapons including some unusually strange weapons.

289v1ur.jpg

In this game the player's objective is to throw a Frisbee down a golf-like course and try to get their Frisbee into the bucket before the opponent does. The Move detects the angle of the Frisbee, the power of the throw and the snap of the release, making it a very realistic experience.

2cpsu9y.jpg

E3 2010 Demo
Commercial 1
GameZombie Interview
Kevin Butler Move Montage (with little bits of Sports Champions)
Dev Diary

xyibm.jpg

Wikipedia
Google
Playstation Move |OT| and the guys

This is my first OT guys, please be kind. :D

Mad_Ban

Nice OP Ultros! :) EDIT: It might be worth noting that we don't get the SC bundle here in the UK and EU. AFAIK it's a US-only promotion as we euros only get the starter disc + move.

Also table tennis > all other sports.

Whey! Finally an official thread for the best motion-controlled sports game on the market [what?! I love it, alright!]. Game totally deserves the great OT treatment!

I'm armed with my sweat-bands and am about to jump back into the table-tennis silver cup. Kenji bitch, this trophy is mine!

Absolutely love the game, love the depth in the later tournaments. Am having a blast. Who said PlayStation Move didn't have a killer-app, eh?

Europe doesn't get the Sports Champions bundle - only a shitty demo disc (which has all the same demos as the Store and still takes up HDD space)...

My favourite game is undoubtedly table tennis. It's scarily accurate.

Great OP.

I hope people really play into this game more than just the Bronze cups in the long run. I'm on the second person in the Silver cup for Table Tennis and I've lost 2 times in a row! And it has been (mostly) because of my mistakes and not something that just "didn't go".

Such a fun game, I'm jumping all around my living room like I'm actually playing and moved the coffee table to give me some more room to (wait for it) ... Move.

This game does show off the hardware pretty well though. I had a little trouble with Archery and the aiming but I figure I'll just have to spend some more time with it ... way too into Table Tennis right now to really care about the other games all that much :lol

Mad_Ban

As I said in the other Move thread:

I hate Kenji (sp?) in table tennis with a fiery passion.

He ALWAYS does a really short serve that I miss 9 times out of 10 (usually dont make contact or I hit it into the net).

I wish they put the AI as right handers, just to see how different the play would be.

Dante

:lol did you have to go there OP?

Just popped in to say this game is AMAZING and it's a shame a lot of review outlets seemed to just write it off . It's a bit of a clone but who cares when it's soooooo much better than the original.

Disc Golf is crack.

Animator

People who write this game off or give it a lesser score clearly never played past the bronze cup.

I am in gold cup now in table tennis and it is just as challenging as playing against a real opponent where you really need to move all around the table. The accuracy is also second to none, never had an issue where the game didnt do what I actually did. You can send the ball anywhere on the table just like you would in real life and that makes it one of the most impressive games I have ever played.

It really is the killer app for move. This would probably be my goty if it had online MP.

Stampy

Although we didn't get the game in a bundle, I can't say I am feeling any remorse for buying the game, quite the opposite (I have wasted my whole weekend on just one sport and I am still nowhere near mastering it - total time sink), although Sony Europe are bastards for doing this, but that has nothing to do with the game.

Stampy said:
Although we didn't get the game in a bundle, I can't say I am feeling any remorse for buying the game, quite the opposite (I have wasted my whole weekend on just one sport and I am still nowhere near mastering it - total time sink), although Sony Europe are bastards for doing this, but that has nothing to do with the game, which is excellent.

I paid $39.99 for it and don't feel ripped off at all. Well worth the money ... now the $100 I spent on 2 Move controllers kind of burns though :lol

Aru

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Europe doesn't get the Sports Champions bundle - only a shitty demo disc (which has all the same demos as the Store and still takes up HDD space)...

But we get a 20 € discount on Sports Champions if we buy the Move Bundle. It's almost the same.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man my arms hurt. When you play table tennis and about to serve, rotate your Move 360 degrees and watch what happens. Ouch. :lol

This game is so fantastic...I wasn't expecting the level of depth at all that this game presents. I kinda thought it'd be a $40 tech demo that I would pull out when friends come over...but I've been playing for a few hours on my own and cant wait to put in more time. :D

JWong

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:

Is the bundle more expensive?

Stampy

Mad_Ban said:
As I said in the other Move thread:

I hate Kenji (sp?) in table tennis with a fiery passion.

He ALWAYS does a really short serve that I miss 9 times out of 10 (usually dont make contact or I hit it into the net).

When he does this serve, get close to TV with your racket open, and don't try to strongly hit the ball (because you can't), just focus on slightly pushing it to the other side (racket is angled as if you would hit the ball from its bottom). And then you have to quickly return to your position, because the bastard will slam the ball, but after you defend from that, he is yours for the taking (at least in silver). :D

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
chubigans said:
Man my arms hurt. When you play table tennis and about to serve, rotate your Move 360 degrees and watch what happens. Ouch. :lol

This game is so fantastic...I wasn't expecting the level of depth at all that this game presents. I kinda thought it'd be a $40 tech demo that I would pull out when friends come over...but I've been playing for a few hours on my own and cant wait to put in more time. :D
finally we have an excuse for exercise

Finally the official thread that this game deserves.

I tried some gladiator stuff today and, indeed, you will get a sore arm! It also convinced me to pick up a second Move controller, cause it looks like it will be even more fun. My only gripe is the semi-transparent player character, which can be confusing at times.

Mad_Ban

I am so terrible at Bowls (i refuse to call it bocce) and disc golf. :(

I always seem to get a bad throw on bowls as it goes straight up and slams down, or there's just no power (it doesn't really help I can't extend my arm fully because it's sore, because of this game! :lol ).

Disc golf is just harsh with some of the shots they expect you to get. I wish there was a midair "tweak" system. I've lost count of how many time I skimmed past the goal.

Stampy

This game is awesome because for you to master it, a long road has to be taken (as if it was not a motion game). Totally hardcore.

Lovely OP :)

This is the only game I bought alongside Move and I've really been enjoying it. Archery and Gladiator were early favourites, but I played through the Bronze Cup in Beach Volleyball earlier and loved it! Great game :)

Stampy

I wonder how much time you would have to invest into this game in order to beat all four modes (bronze, silver, gold, champion) for all sports and everything with three stars. :D

Man

Gladiator is the greatest sport (with dual controls). Very entertaining.
The harder you swing the more damage. And there's no way to fake it, you must swing!
Jump and character jumps. Duck and character repeats this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I really really suck at Disc Golf. Fortunately I'm sorta acing the Beach Volleyball one.

Edit: Fixed the OP a bit.

Mad_Ban

Stampy said:
I wonder how much time you would have to invest into this game in order to beat all four modes (bronze, silver, gold, champion) for all sports and everything with three stars. :D
Anyone who could master all those would likely be GAFs first olympic hexathlete. :p

Stampy

Tiktaalik said:
I played some three player disc golf at work and it was pretty fun.

At my work I watched video on youtube of someone playing disc golf. Although it was not that fun. :p

Stampy

Mad_Ban said:
Anyone who could master all those would likely be GAFs first olympic hexathlete. :p

And would have disproportionally muscled arms. :lol

Edit: Eekk, sorry for Double post, was sure someone would post before me. -_-

Jme

After 2 days with it, I have to take a break today. My shoulder and bicep on my dominant arm are so sore :lol

Still, an amazing game, for those who have a Move controller but haven't picked this up yet, it is must own software.

Mad_Ban

I wonder if this game actually gives you a decent workout?

Obviously it's nowhere near as beneficial as an actual or gym session, but you can work up a hell of a sweat during it (probably akin to a hardcore yoga session :lol ).

ULTROS!

Mad_Ban said:

Obviously it's nowhere near as beneficial as an actual or gym session, but you can work up a hell of a sweat during it (probably akin to a hardcore yoga session :lol ).

As long as it allows me to lose weight, I'm totally fine by that. :lol

SpecX

This game is awesome and I'm glad it came bundled with the package or else I would have probably missed out. I've been playing table tennis and archery and my arm is so sore. I'm taking a break, but I find this game to be crack and I must come back for more even though my arm is telling me to stop.

Mad_Ban said:

If you put 1 pound wrist weights on and go at it for 45 minutes...
You will be sweating bullets.

I would not really suggest any heavier though.

Stampy

UntoldDreams said:
If you put 1 pound wrist weights on and go at it for 45 minutes...
You will be sweating bullets.

I would not really suggest any heavier though.

Sony should add a Move hardware option for hardcore players, where the controller would weight from 1 kg to 5 kg. Let us see you beat table tennis with that. :p

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Not gonna lie, came in thread not expecting this many positive impressions from fellow gaffers for some reason. Still don't have Move but once I buy one I'll pick this game up.

ULTROS!

doctordoak said:
Waiting for my Move to be shipped. Can you save replays in disc golf?

Hmm... I don't think so (haven't fully explored the game yet). I know you can take a photo after winning the cup.

Top Bottom