• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports fans: if your favorite team had a championship stripped away by their league, how would you feel?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was thinking about this with the whole Astros scandal. For those here who are sports fans and have favorite teams that have won championships, how would you feel if for whatever reason, one of your favorite teams got punished by their respective leagues for doing something and the league stripped away a championship. How would that make you feel?

Would you feel like you already experienced the joy and celebration and that isn't something that can be taken away and you still consider your team a champion?

Or would you feel like all that celebrating and joy is now retroactively ruined and taken away and you no longer feel the same about your team?

Just curious how you'd react as a fan if that happened to one of your teams.

Last edited:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I’m a University of Michigan basketball fan. The NCAA took away our two Final Fours and an Elite 8 appearance from the 90’s.

Doesn’t bother me at all. Those games still happened and the NCAA can’t change that no matter how hard they try.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I think it retroactively ruins the victory and hollows out the celebration. Like kunonabi kunonabi said though, if it's a legit reason, I'd accept it and be more cautious with that team moving forward.

Hinedorf

Banned
I had my shitty football team stripped of me before they ever won a championship to begin with so that Los Angeles could have 2 shitty teams. As a Yankees fan purely because of how much I hate Boston and all Mass. sports teams it seems like every time the Yankees win a championship they're accused of buying it as is so really doesn't make a difference to me.

It's hard for me to take any punishment for cheating seriously after a couple decades of it going on virtually every year with the same team who went to 9 fucking championships. Sports have never emphasized legitimacy or fair play, it's just entertainment for the masses.

I guess shitty and ashamed

But I don't have to worry about that

source.gif

TacosNSalsa

I'm a NYC basketball fan . I doubt I'll ever see a championship from either team here in my lifetime. So I really can't answer that :messenger_weary: :messenger_confounded:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Wouldn't care; my enjoyment of "my team" comes from watching them play.. the thrill of victory.

You can't actually retroactively take that away any more than you can "ruin my childhood" by making bad Transformers movies.

I don't argue about sports online though or IRL for that matter; it's the most asinine repetitive topic on the entire internet. Nothing but people whose egos are tied to millionaires who have nothing to do with them babbling nonsense.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Nothing is gonna take away the memory of the moment itself, and that’s what really matters to most people.

NickFire

I doubt there is any reason to even consider this happening. So much money is involved in printing t shirts, videos, souvenirs, etc. Even if a commissioner wanted to despite the much longer stain on their sport it would cause, they wouldn't want to wade into the financial waters associated with it,

Cutty Flam

Banned
Let's say my favorite team, the Los Angeles Lakers had cheated somehow and got caught. Only way they can realistically cheat I would guess, is taking steroids as a team regularly....but if they won the championship and were caught cheating, it's a mark on them. Their entire history, will always have that tarnishing their image. So that year, is disgraced, and it brings disgrace to their franchise. I would want my team to hand over the championship and apologize. It's a lot of business, and plenty of advantages you try to get by any means, but if you cheat then that sends a message people should not have to see. It's immoral and good fans shouldn't have to put up with rampant cheating. It has to be punished by the league and severely imo

NickFire

Let's say my favorite team, the Los Angeles Lakers had cheated somehow and got caught. Only way they can realistically cheat I would guess, is taking steroids as a team regularly....but if they won the championship and were caught cheating, it's a mark on them. Their entire history, will always have that tarnishing their image. So that year, is disgraced, and it brings disgrace to their franchise. I would want my team to hand over the championship and apologize. It's a lot of business, and plenty of advantages you try to get by any means, but if you cheat then that sends a message people should not have to see. It's immoral and good fans shouldn't have to put up with rampant cheating. It has to be punished by the league and severely imo
Does being allowed to walk across a basketball court, with ball in hands, and not getting called for travelling count as cheating?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Passive aggressive thread by the OP, sport fans aren't fragile, come back next season.

Vacating wins and championships is a toothless non-punishment. If one of my teams was hit with such a punishment, I wouldn't really care.

For all I know Masai leaves & the Raptors never even make the playoffs again, so yeah, I would be salty if they took that championship away, unless it was for a really good reason.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
If they were legit cheating I would be fine with it. I’m talking actual cheating like the Astros, not some dumb NCAA off-field ethical rules violation or whatever.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Does being allowed to walk across a basketball court, with ball in hands, and not getting called for travelling count as cheating?
Everybody in the league is guilty of it, and the refs don't care at all 99% of the time. If you're talking about LeBron James, I agree, he's a stat padding monster who gets away with a lot of suspect traveling. Not due to him cheating, more due to him slacking on the fundamentals and being lazy. He's had so many grossly embarrassing plays in his career, that I don't even consider him a true legend of the game

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'm a huge Mets fan, and I'd most certainly be bummed if the Mets managed to actually win something just to have it taken away - then again, the current scenario where the Mets are somehow caught up in a cheating scandal where they neither cheated nor won anything seems to be a much more Mets-like sequence of events.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Becoming emotional based off what a bunch of people playing a game do or don't do is such a weird and foreign concept to me...

when u invest a lot of ur time watching those ppl play & going to their games & buying their gear & repping them its like ur joining their community/club & u get attached to them like how sony or xbox fanboys would take a bullet for the console they invested so much time in.

Top Bottom