• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring '07 Anime Season (Of Eternal Joy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
BluWacky said:
The first Aquarion OVA is a bit odd. It's basically a whole new Aquarion series with the same cast (think like the Esca movie), except none of the staff are taking crack this time and there's been a few bits of character jiggery pokery. It's virtually all new stuff with a few bits and pieces taken from the TV series (the gattai sequences and one short fight sequence), with Sirius written out and Reika given a much bigger part and no comedy whatsoever. Oh, and a TINY bit of Arjuna-ism, but not to the extent of Arjuna/Macross Zero by any means.

I'm not sure if it'll be that popular with fans of the TV show as it's got a fairly different tone whilst retaining the same characters, but I tentatively quite enjoyed it. Some of the spazz didn't really work in the TV show, and the focus on Atlantis is much welcomed as this iteration suggests we'll get more answers about what happened 12,000 years ago. The animation is pretty good throughout, with one really standout 2D fight scene and Satelight's usual top-notch CG (the climactic battle sequence is excellent). Not much in the way of new music, although there's a good AKINO song on the ending credits.

Episode 2, Wings of Glory, is due in the Autumn apparently.
Wait, so it's basically an alternate "serious" re-telling of the series? I was honestly thinking they would do that, but I wasn't quite so sure. Less Sirius = awesome.

I actually didn't buy it yet, as right now the prospect of buying something from Satelight was making me a bit....nervous. But I guess I'll have to get it now.

BluWacky

I actually didn't buy it yet, as right now the prospect of buying something from Satelight was making me a bit....nervous. But I guess I'll have to get it now.

It's certainly not a Kissdum or a Kami-chama Karin! I presume that the money at Satelight has been going to Aquarion, Hellsing Ultimate and the new Macross series. Either that, or Nagaoka's cordoned off his section of the office so Kawamori can't get in there and disembowel him...

Mirimar

AFK needs to hurry up and sub Lucky Channel 8...I need to know what she's saying! Although...the entire skit is amusing even half understanding it raw.

Damn I am loving darker than black. Just finished watching the raw of eps 08. Was a really great episode.

I am also in love with the ending song for some reason. Overall the music is one of my favorite parts. But I have always had a soft spot for yoko kanno.

Anyone know how many episodes it is scheduled for? a full season?

Busaiku

Has Geneon ever stated when they're releasing Guardian of the Sacred Spirits in the R1 market?
I think they licensed it before it even started, and would defintely love to pick the DVDs.

Fireblend

Banned
So I decided to drop Toward the Terra. After 8 episodes it's just going nowhere or at least nowhere I care about. If it ever gets interesting, please let me know.

Fireblend said:
So I decided to drop Toward the Terra. After 8 episodes it's just going nowhere or at least nowhere I care about. If it ever gets interesting, please let me know.

Ep 8 actually kinda renewed my faith. :p It was just a "getting to know Keith" arc.

duckroll

BluWacky said:
It's certainly not a Kissdum or a Kami-chama Karin! I presume that the money at Satelight has been going to Aquarion, Hellsing Ultimate and the new Macross series. Either that, or Nagaoka's cordoned off his section of the office so Kawamori can't get in there and disembowel him...

I hear the seige will be ending soon. They've reached an agreement where Nagaoka will be given a 30 second headstart to flee the building, in exchange for the release of the Satelight animators he had taken prisoner to continue making Kissdum. :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I was going to create a new thread for this but I don't think I'll bother because it's slightly "old" in subject and certain people in here would most likely take more notice of it anyway.

My first J-drama was Nodame Cantabile and I loved it, this was practically happening late last year whilst it was screening/early this year sometime. So I've had a craving for another J-drama just to see if it was a decent genre and not just a one-off.. I remembered hearing about Densha Otoko on here a few times so I decided to grab that and hope for the best. Was only able to watch the first two episodes with my girlfriend and we were both in tears near the end.. I then delved a bit deeper on the wiki article and eventually read the entire saga translated just then (started at midnight, it's now 2:30am) and I can't wait to grab the other episodes now.

Anyway, point to this post - after Densha, what next? It's sort of confirmed to me now that J-drama isn't just a brush on the sleeve moment and I'd like to see some more. Any decent suggestions people care to point out?

Dave1988

speedpop said:
I was going to create a new thread for this but I don't think I'll bother because it's slightly "old" in subject and certain people in here would most likely take more notice of it anyway.

My first J-drama was Nodame Cantabile and I loved it, this was practically happening late last year whilst it was screening/early this year sometime. So I've had a craving for another J-drama just to see if it was a decent genre and not just a one-off.. I remembered hearing about Densha Otoko on here a few times so I decided to grab that and hope for the best. Was only able to watch the first two episodes with my girlfriend and we were both in tears near the end.. I then delved a bit deeper on the wiki article and eventually read the entire saga translated just then (started at midnight, it's now 2:30am) and I can't wait to grab the other episodes now.

Anyway, point to this post - after Densha, what next? It's sort of confirmed to me now that J-drama isn't just a brush on the sleeve moment and I'd like to see some more. Any decent suggestions people care to point out?

Don't know if it fits but...Lovely Complex maybe? I, for one, am having a blast with it.

Tokubetsu

Busaiku said:
Has Geneon ever stated when they're releasing Guardian of the Sacred Spirits in the R1 market?
I think they licensed it before it even started, and would defintely love to pick the DVDs.

Don't know about that but a lot of R1 companies have been pissing me off lately with this. Licensing shit before it even begins airing in Japan. I can understand if they helped fund it (Geneon does a lot of this) but jesus christ man! NHK is just now getting ready to be released after they've had the license to it for almost a year. I've also been waiting to finish the Witchblade anime (Sue me, I'm a Topcow whore) for about as long! and Funi is still saying Fall for the first dvd. With a bi-monthly release schedule I won't see the end till well into late 08 or even 09!

Koshiba

Tokubetsu said:
Don't know about that but a lot of R1 companies have been pissing me off lately with this. Licensing shit before it even begins airing in Japan. I can understand if they helped fund it (Geneon does a lot of this) but jesus christ man! NHK is just now getting ready to be released after they've had the license to it for almost a year. I've also been waiting to finish the Witchblade anime (Sue me, I'm a Topcow whore) for about as long! and Funi is still saying Fall for the first dvd. With a bi-monthly release schedule I won't see the end till well into late 08 or even 09!

Well I'm still waiting on the Hi no Tori anime to be released on R1. How long has it been licensed now? I have friends I wanna show this series to.

In other news, started watching Nodame Cantabile or however ya' spell it. Heh. Funny so far, I had only read a few volumes of the manga before. I like it though. Probably going to finish Hataraki Man as well as start Lovely Complex. I see a pattern lately.. Though I want to start watching Toward the Terra as well. But then I look at all my unwrapped DVDs and wonder if that's a good idea.. :lol

Dave1988

Devil May Cry Mission: 01 is out and it's actually free for download!

Company download link: mms://streamw.hitpops.jp/service/10000009/drm/dmc_1_10.wmv

I'm working now on providing a megaupload link since it appears the above one doesn't work for everybody.

It's a /wmv file and it only works with Windows Media Player. I've tried playing it with GOM and MPC but to no avail.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tokubetsu said:
Don't know about that but a lot of R1 companies have been pissing me off lately with this. Licensing shit before it even begins airing in Japan. I can understand if they helped fund it (Geneon does a lot of this) but jesus christ man! NHK is just now getting ready to be released after they've had the license to it for almost a year.
Huh? Welcome to the NHK was just licensed by ADV like two weeks ago.

Tokubetsu

MetatronM said:
Huh? Welcome to the NHK was just licensed by ADV like two weeks ago.

You sure? I could have sworn it was licensed mid summer last year, that's why not many groups were subbing it...?

You know I'll never understand this moral code fansubers have, it's not like it's less ilegal to sub something not lincesed. ROM leechers and dumpers are another one as well with their 24 hour policy.

Anyway does anyone has Kissdum screencaps I wanna see just how crappy the animation is.

Dead

well not really...yet
Hahaha holy shit. I was browsing around and I found out that all traces of the Kiss Dum DVD have started to disappear from online stores!

I checked the official site and they took down the trailer and all the info about it and left a message apologizing that it's delayed with no further date for it at the moment

:lol :lol man I hope they're reworknig this show 100% or something

Defuser

So what is that Kiddy Grade 2 pilot i saw on AnimeSuki? Trailer of something like that?
I hope I can go through the show without too many eclair's panty flashing which i see now it look like would be lumiere panty flashing.

Cloudy

Banned
I am also in love with the ending song for some reason. Overall the music is one of my favorite parts. But I have always had a soft spot for yoko kanno.

Rie Fu is great. You should check out other songs by her :)

Dead said:
Hahaha holy shit. I was browsing around and I found out that all traces of the Kiss Dum DVD have started to disappear from online stores!

I checked the official site and they took down the trailer and all the info about it and left a message apologizing that it's delayed with no further date for it at the moment

:lol :lol man I hope they're reworknig this show 100% or something
:lol

duckroll

So.... new Gundam in October as predicted. Characters looks exactly like Yun Kouga designs as rumored... so the director is pretty much 100% Seiji Mizushima!

Site: http://www.gundam00.net/
Teaser: mms://b-ch.dooga.co.jp/gundam_oo_teaser_trailer_15s_1000k.wmv

The new rumors on 2ch peg the series writer as Kuroda (Gungrave, Trigun, Hellsing, sCRYed, Infinite Ryvius), and the animation character designer as Yoshida (Overman King Gainer, Eureka Seven) which would be insane for a Gundam series. :D

It's also interesting to note that this takes place in 2307 AD, not some made up future timeline like other Gundams. It's about 4 Gundam Meisters using their mechs for an organization to stop warfare... (sounds like Wing doesn't it!)

There should be a full blow out on Newtype by the 8th next week. The full details will probably be leaked by Tuesday or Wednesday. ^_^

Snaku

Banned
duckroll said:
So.... new Gundam in October as predicted. Characters looks exactly like Yun Kouga designs as rumored... so the director is pretty much 100% Seiji Mizushima!

Site: http://www.gundam00.net/
Teaser: mms://b-ch.dooga.co.jp/gundam_oo_teaser_trailer_15s_1000k.wmv

The new rumors on 2ch peg the series writer as Kuroda (Gungrave, Trigun, Hellsing, sCRYed, Infinite Ryvius), and the animation character designer as Yoshida (Overman King Gainer, Eureka Seven) which would be insane for a Gundam series. :D

It's also interesting to note that this takes place in 2307 AD, not some made up future timeline like other Gundams. It's about 4 Gundam Meisters using their mechs for an organization to stop warfare... (sounds like Wing doesn't it!)

There should be a full blow out on Newtype by the 8th next week. The full details will probably be leaked by Tuesday or Wednesday. ^_^

62zt9vr.gif

Edit: I uploaded the teaser trailer to youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=otnXHBwJoNc

7Th

duckroll said:

Still sure it will only be pure fangirl bait. Get ready for the new coming of Wing. :lol

Lain

I've finally decided to watch the second episode for Lovely Complex and was so disappointed about all the changes from the manga =/
Without Otani the karaoke thing totally sucked (as well as the fortune teller without the prediction for all "couples").

B.K.

duckroll said:

I wish they'd make a new UC Gundam series. :(

7Th

Dennou Coil 4 was surprisingly really action packed... didn't expected them to have something like Dennou battles. The script is getting pretty tight too, loving how quickly things took a turn for the darker here. Design was a bit inconsistent but the actual animation was top-notch and that's all I care about.

The only series I like more than this right now is Gurren and I'm biased for that due to my extreme fandom of the Kanada school of animation.

Tokubetsu

B.K. said:
I wish they'd make a new UC Gundam series. :(

I'd like a new UC too but It's been done to death. A lot of people forget about Victory Gundam and some don't count Turn A Gundam as well. They've done everything they can in that universe.

EDIT: 2 cents on Wing, I liked the first half when I first saw it. I took a real bitch route the last few arcs though and I still feel the same way about it. Cool on the remastered release though. I'm still hoping Bandai releases the 0079 remastered set Japan got last year in R1...at some point =(

Hero

Gundam Wing started out well but it got really annoying how practically every one of the Gundam pilots tried to (or successfully did) detonate their units in some glorious manner but they always survived. Also characters flip flopping on whose side they were on was ridiculous, and the Gundam suits were practically invincible throughout the show.

But hm. Surprised they're not doing a third part to SEED.

jman2050

7Th said:
Dennou Coil 4 was surprisingly really action packed... didn't expected them to have something like Dennou battles. The script is getting pretty tight too, loving how quickly things took a turn for the darker here. Design was a bit inconsistent but the actual animation was top-notch and that's all I care about.

The only series I like more than this right now is Gurren and I'm biased for that due to my extreme fandom of the Kanada school of animation.

I only watched episode 3 today. I wish subbers would do this faster, it's an awesome series based on the first 3 episodes :(

Kiyamon

NomarTyme said:
LoveCom ep. 8 was....

Bear curry...bear curry...bear curry... :*(

Lovely Complex has become my secret anime... I think my wife would think I wierder if I fess up that I am enjoy this anime... the story just keeps you wanting more.

Now to sound more manly... I am also extremely enjoying Claymore.

NomarTyme said:
LoveCom ep. 8 was....

Bear curry...bear curry...bear curry... :*(

good for you Otani! you may be a stupid idiot, but you didnt take the cliche way out of the situation.

Kiyamon said:
Lovely Complex has become my secret anime... I think my wife would think I wierder if I fess up that I am enjoy this anime... the story just keeps you wanting more.

yeah, usually if I like an anime, I tell my friends about it, but I havent brought up Lovely Complex and dont think I ever will.

Beezy

Dennou Coil 3 has been subbed.

I'm liking it so far, but I don't understand why some people are calling it the best anime this season.

Beezy said:
Dennou Coil 3 has been subbed.

I'm liking it so far, but I don't understand why some people are calling it the best anime this season.

Yeah it's definitely not the best. I don't even know if I'd consider it among the top 5. But it is kind of interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom