• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Is it? I guess things are getting better, it used to be that 3-5 episodes was the standard in the US and two was the standard in Japan.

I remember being happy when it started transitioning to 5-5-4-4-4-4 rather than 4-4-3-3-3-3-3-3-3. :lol

iavi

Is it? I guess things are getting better, it used to be that 3-5 episodes was the standard in the US and two was the standard in Japan.

I only just recently learned of the two ep standard when I was looking at Space Dandy imports. Shit's cray.

CorvoSol

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 18

Hahahaha, so Vanilla's going to confess his love to Coconna so they can be the Alpha couple (because let's be honest, Chirico x Fyana is going to take another 40 episodes to happen), and then a missile blows the crap out of his club and all Hell breaks loose.

I love you VOTOMs. Never, ever cease being the incredible mecha gem you are.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
kyubey.jpg

"Make a contract with me and become a no-life weeaboo!"

Too late! i'm already a no life weeaboo!
I have no regrets

=========================================
Nanana Buried treasure 2
I change my boomerang position whenever i read stimulating magz. Also, Kana Asumi and Kanahana. Delicious.

I should post more in here. I watched tons of first episodes but these ones were my favorite of the last 2 weeks from the shows I didn't drop.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Ep 1-2
Fucking awesome, but it's JoJo so that is expected.

Happiness Charge Pretty Cure! Ep 11
yuu-yuu yuu-yuu yuu-yuu yuu-yuu yuu-yuu

No Game No Life Ep 1-2
The Imouto is cute, that is all.

Ping Pong Ep 1-2
My favorite anime of the season, episode 2 was fantastic. I don't even know if the animation is good or bad, but I love it!

One Week Friends Ep 1-2
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kawaiso
T0rbxH0l.jpg

I guess that idiom is international, then?

As always, Mayumi is the best character and Kawai exists only to blush. Why must waifu culture be so predictable?

I've sworn in life to never do a few things again.

Eat at Mcdonalds
Eat at Burgerking
Eat at Taco bell
And watch/play Key anything.

I'll admit right here that Air and Kanon aren't the greatest and really put people off. It's character design is very off putting. Even to me.

Clannad, however, is very different. It's actually good and it's acclaimed for a reason. I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't good. I will accept you swearing off Key if you still feel that way after watching Clannad and After Story. But swearing off something when you've only watched, arguably, the weakest shows and stories from them isn't fair to the best work Key and Kyoto Animation put out.

That's like swearing off from watching anything from Madhouse after watching DMC. Or swearing off A-1 after SAO. That isn't fair when they've both but out better things. Same with Key/KyoAni with Clannad. You should do it. I am not trying to trick you. You will be missing out on one of the best drama/romantic anime ever if you don't watch it.

After all I don't think 212,125 anime viewers would give it such high praise of it was for nothing.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks. I don't usually buy blurays of anime so i just wanted to know that is it normal for a single bluray to have 4 episodes? Or is Yamato an exception?

for a bluray not really. Used to be for DVD. Bluray usually covers a whole season in 2-3 discs.

Yeah I remember that.
In the Us it was usually 6 or 7 volumes for a standard 24-26 episode series, and 4 for a 12-13. Used to add up to a couple hundred bucks for a series. And people complain about a 50$ series >_>

I should post more in here. I watched tons of first episodes but this ones were my favorite episodes of the last 2 weeks and the shows I didn't drop.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Ep 1-2
Fucking awesome, but it's JoJo so that is expected.

Happiness Charge Pretty Cure! Ep 11
yuu-yuu yuu-yuu yuu-yuu yuu-yuu yuu-yuu

No Game No Life Ep 1-2
The Imouto is cute, that is all.

Ping Pong Ep 1-2
My favorite anime of the season, episode 2 was fantastic. I don't even know if the animation is good or bad, but I love it!

One Week Friends Ep 1-2
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!

OWF is gonna be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad for my heart.

Scrapped Princess 4

I'm calling it a night, but this is very enjoyable so far. While Chaika has a more Witcher/Berserk feeling to its fantasy and setting, basically dark fantasy, this one has an old school feeling to it. Loving the recurring characters so far, even the rivals/enemies are likable enough. As of right now it seems like the show doesn't have a lead among the three main characters, but it seems to focus more on the brother and the princess. Again, sibling love without anime incest is refreshing.

I expect great things from Chaika if this goes on, especially since that has a rogue main character.

cajunator

Banned
Scrapped Princess 4

I'm calling it a night, but this is very enjoyable so far. While Chaika has a more Witcher/Berserk feeling to its fantasy and setting, basically dark fantasy, this one has an old school feeling to it. Loving the recurring characters so far, even the rivals/enemies are likable enough. As of right now it seems like the show doesn't have a lead among the three main characters, but it seems to focus more on the brother and the princess. Again, sibling love without anime incest is refreshing.

I expect great things from Chaika if this goes on, especially since that has a rogue main character.

there was a time when Bones was pretty consistently good.
Have you seen Angelic Layer? If not thats highly recommended too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Finally I have a comrade!

I too am excited for S2.
Hey now, I'm also going to watch S2. Then again I'm also going to watch S2 of SAO.

Code:
bgbw's stand is Empress Red, capable of creating space! Rank: C-
This is actually a very good one since there's one thing my father always wants and that's more space.

Thanks for erasing all the vampires!
But now my dream of a hot vampiress coming in through my window and whisking me away to be part of her harem will never come true!

I do. I'm not even joking either. High praise is fucking cheap among anime fans.

Well that's your opinion. And you have a right to vocalize it. But I don't think over 200,000 people liking an anime (which is relatively large for how niche anime is) is something to scoff at even if you personally don't like it. It does mean something.

Don't pretend the average anime fan is very critical or discerning in what they consume.

It being number 3 in the score averages against THOUSANDS of anime is nothing to roll eyes at. Even if the "average anime" fan isn't very critical they still placed Clannad After Story above most anime. And that's nothing to scoff at. And considering the most critical people are people who either haven't watched it or haven't finished it, I am not going to lose sleep over it.

cajunator

Banned
I do. I'm not even joking either. High praise is fucking cheap among anime fans.

This is pretty true. However I think a lot of anime fans have adjusted to look past certain tropes and redundancies and simply enjoy something for what it is, which isnt a bad thing for the industry. On the other hand I dont see Haibane Renmei or Kinos Journey in there so fuck that list.

iavi

I'll admit right here that Air and Kanon aren't the greatest and really put people off. It's character design is very off putting. Even to me.

Clannad, however, is very different. It's actually good and it's acclaimed for a reason. I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't good. I will accept you swearing off Key if you still feel that way after watching Clannad and After Story. But swearing off something when you've only watched, arguably, the weakest shows and stories from them isn't fair to the best work Key and Kyoto Animation put out.

That's like swearing off from watching anything from Madhouse after watching DMC. Or swearing off A-1 after SAO. That isn't fair when they've both but out better things. Same with Key/KyoAni with Clannad. You should do it. I am not trying to trick you. You will be missing out on one of the best drama/romantic anime ever if you don't watch it.

After all I don't think 212,125 anime viewers would give it such high praise of it was for nothing.

I should state my situation.

I've read through the Clannad VN, watched the first season, movie, and read the Tomoyo spin-off. I'm more versed in the Clannad-verse than I'd like to be. And it's because I did all that, that I've sworn of Key. I'm not going to rant on it too much in here, but I definitely don't consider Clannad one of anime's best dramas. At all.

It actually doesn't. It's a logical fallacy frequently exploited by marketers on the unsuspecting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

What you linked has nothing to do what you are currently arguing. You've created your own fallacy. I said having over 200,000 anime viewers liking something doesn't invalidate the fact that many people liked it. Sure it may not be true to you or a few others but it stands to reason that those 200,000 people liked the show no? I didn't say many people love the show, therefore everyone must love it. My argument is that most people like it so it stands to reason that other anime watcher may in fact like it. Don't twist what I say.

duckroll

It being number 3 in the score averages against THOUSANDS of anime is nothing to roll eyes at. Even if the "average anime" fan isn't very critical they still placed Clannad After Story above most anime. And that's nothing to scoff at. And considering the most critical people are people who either haven't watched it or haven't finished it, I am not going to lose sleep over it.

It's easy to roll eyes at it when we're talking about something like MyAnimeList. It's all about context. You have to understand that a lot of people who actually take critique seriously don't bother with popularity polls and stuff specifically skewed towards fanbases. It doesn't mean jack shit in the end. Famitsu's Top10 Most Wanted Polls, Niconico's Viewer Ratings, etc. It's all low interest stuff for fanboys who like fighting with each other comparing dick sizes. You can pretend it means more than it does, but meanwhile the world will keep spinning.

I should state my situation.

I've read through the Clannad VN, watched the first season, movie, and read the Tomoyo spin-off. I'm more versed in the Clannad-verse than I'd like to be. And it's because I did all that, that I've sworn of Key. I'm not going to rant on it too much in here, but I definitely don't consider Clannad one of anime's best dramas. At all.

Okay. That's fine. I am sorry you feel that way. It's unfortunate that you've sworn of After Story too. That's a shame. Well proceed on.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What you linked has nothing to do what you are currently arguing. You've created your own fallacy. I said having over 200,000 anime viewers liking something doesn't invalidate the fact that many people liked it. Sure it may not be true to you or a few others but it stands to reason that those 200,000 people liked the show no? I didn't say many people love the show, therefore everyone must love it. My argument is that most people like it so it stands to reason that other anime watcher may in fact like it. Don't twist what I say.

"After all I don't think 212,125 anime viewers would give it such high praise of it was for nothing."

I don't think -- 212,125 anime viewers -- would give it such high praise -- [if] it was for nothing.

This is a simple claim stated exactly like "X number of customers can't be wrong".

Don't get upset just because I can read.

Narag

What would be more interesting is seeing how many people finished it rather than offering up a score based on a partial series watch, also their general exposure to the medium.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/CoheedSaki
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/syakovlev
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/NdgTena
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cireodra03
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/DaManzanares
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sephallia
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/PleiadesRising
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Insanity_Trials

shit goes on like that and I find it unlikely it'd be revisited by all that many so the score would remain.

I'm also under the impression that it's not 212k ratings either but rather 212k list mentions of which there would be many dropped, on-hold, or plan-to-watch entries.

Why wouldn't you trust a list that has Fairy Tail at #12?

"After all I don't think 212,125 anime viewers would give it such high praise of it was for nothing."

I don't think -- 212,125 anime viewers -- would give it such high praise -- [if] it was for nothing.

This is a simple claim stated exactly like "X number of customers can't be wrong".

Don't get upset just because I can read.

I didn't say they can't be wrong. Again you are twisting what I say. I was clearly stating that "X number of people like it obviously for a reason". I didn't say said reason can't be wrong for certain individuals. I am not going to say every single person who watches the show is going to love it because obviously there are going to be people who don't like it. That would be faulty logic on my end. You are just reading more into it then I actually gave.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's ok to say you didn't mean to phrase it that way, you know, but I'm only working on what you actually said. It's really not complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom