• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san - 02

If it wasn't for the fact that Jojo was airing at the same time, this would've been a contender for AOTS for me.

But SDBurton...

Wpet5Kj.png

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Bokura wa minna Kawai So 2
Can't get enough of Fhana song. Beware the :3
Also, i just realize this is made by the same mangaka that create Love Lab. Talk about art evolution...

Jintor

Soul Eater Not 02

So I mentioned it earlier, but as a side story to Soul Eater the show's pretty good at establishing a really great sense of place. Death City feels much... larger than it did in Soul Eater, probably because we're seeing it from a lower POV than Maka and so. It's an interesting feeling. (Though the actual background art kinda sucks... i mean, not the way it's drawn, just the way it blends with the foreground. Or fails to. Or maybe the foreground art just sucks. I dunno.)

Interesting thing they added with Anya's brooch.

lol@Kim

(Princesses? Or is it just their nickname for them? Hmmmmm)

Oh hey, Deathbucks' proprieter seems kind of familiar... he reminds me of Free a little.

Kanojo ga flag wo Oraretara - 01
This is stupid.

THIS IS STUPID

There are way too many plot-holes in this first episode..i want to list them but this post would go over the character limit.

Still , if i turn half of my brain off , this is quite enjoyable... the characters aren't that bad and the main trio kinda work in context... i wish i could have been freed of teh steterotype anime stuff , but given that it's talking about "flag" it couldn't be helped.
i can't break her flag !
Kanojo%20ga%20Flag%20wo%20Oraretara%20-%2001.jpg
lol at the cliffanger end and the preview for episode 2

A good start , but could be better ..the show is really going toward the extreme for the sake of comedy and ..why not ?

cnet128

Banned
Quick kneejerk ranking check of everything with at least two episodes I've seen so far this season:

Awesome: Captain Earth, JoJo, Mushishi S2
Great: Gochiusa, One Week Friends, Love Live S2
Good: Baby Steps, NGNL, Ping Pong, Nanana
Okay: Chaika, Soreseka

Since I'll take any excuse to make lists, here's my attempt at season rankings so far. Positions are roughly in order of appreciation even within tiers.

Transcendentally Wonderful
Isshuukan Friends

Fantastic
Jojo: Stardust Crusaders
Mushishi Zoku-shou

Great
Hunter x Hunter
No Game No Life
Tonari no Seki-kun
Nisekoi
Baby Steps

Not Quite Sure If It's Great Or Just Good Yet
Mekakucity Actors
Ping Pong

Good
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
selector infected WIXOSS
Captain Earth
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka?
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Black Bullet
Love Live! S2
Hitsugi no Chaika
Date A Live II
Akuma no Riddle
Gokukoku no Brynhildr
Soul Eater Not!
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara

Starting To Drag A Bit
Yowamushi Pedal

Not Very Good But I'll Be Damned If That Loli Isn't Wonderful
Seikoku no Dragonar

Too Short To Reasonably Compare To These Other Shows But Totally Cute And Stuff
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san

Madoka Magica 3

And also fuck that piece of shit of glob.

Are you talking about Charlotte? Charlotte is supreme moe.

Nanana's Buried Treasure 2

Oh god, what is happening.

I'm supposed to be thinking either sexy Manager-san or Nanana is best girl in the show.

But now comes in Ms. Detective and her Fino-like laugh and now I'm considering her to be the superior girl.

It's not supposed to be this way for me.

You can't escape the truth =D

kawaisou - 03

GO FOR THE CAKE MAINGUY

GO FOR THE CAKEEEEEEEEEE

I actually find Mayumi surprisingly sweet and likeable for a Christmas Cake. Some of the time, anyway. That said, HELLS NAW. Even if you managed to find her somewhat attractive you'd have to be completely crazy to go for Mayumi when Ritsu is right there.

Still finishing off some backlog shows before really getting into spring. Last night I got through the following:

Infinite Stratos 2

This falls into the "dumb fun" category for me. And when it comes to Ichika, extra emphasis the dumb (even for a harem protag). I did like it for what it was. I do wish there was more action and less harem antics considering I actually did like the former quite a bit. Not expecting that out of a seemingly inevitable 3rd season though. Oh well.

Charles is still best girl.

Rosario + Vampire Capu2

This basically took all of the first season's fanservice and doubled down on it while taking itself far less seriously (relatively speaking). And as a result, I enjoyed it a lot more. "Inner" Moka actually ended up being my favorite character largely due to how she contrasted with the "Outer" Moka, particularly in the last couple of episodes.

Also, for some reason I just couldn't stop watching that OP :D.

Gbraga

AnimeGAF, nyanpasu! I'll soon start watching some stuff, today I need to watch Kotonoha no Niwa, the third Berserk movie, Harmonie, Millennium Actress (yay cajun!) and finish Battle Tendency.

Just give me half an hour and I'll start with cajun's favorite.

Your favorite anime is shit.

HAHAHAHAHAHA you're goddamn right

sonicmj1

Ping Pong 2

I might write up more in that show's official thread, but that episode was fantastic. Koizumi is the best coach, the ping pong matches are dazzling, and I really like how each battle really draws out the mindset of the characters without losing sight of the sport underneath. I love Jojo, but this and Mushishi are on a whole other level compared to the rest of the shows airing this season.

DiGiKerot

Scrapped Princess got 24 episodes out of 13 light novel volumes; if Chaika is only 13 episodes (is that definitely right?) then it might be a pretty tight squeeze to do 9 volumes in that time, although I suppose it's not impossible.

The anime version of Scrapped Princess also skipped the entire first book of that series, from what I remember. I only read the what Tokyopop ended up publishing in English, and it's a long time since I've either read those books or watching the anime, but I seem to recall them having done an awful lot in the way of series compositional changes and minor story rearrangements to get SP to actually be a good show. Those books were kinda ass.

Black Hat

I actually find Mayumi surprisingly sweet and likeable for a Christmas Cake. Some of the time, anyway. That said, HELLS NAW. Even if you managed to find her somewhat attractive you'd have to be completely crazy to go for Mayumi when Ritsu is right there.

Call me crazy then, because Ritsu is flat out boring.

Yeah, I said it. Come at me HanaKana bros.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have great news.

I have convinced somebody outside of anime culture, and whom I have never met irl, to watch Yamato 2199. They're obtaining the first blu-ray set as we speak.

I'm doing God's work in here. Where's my freaking medal?
You tricked someone to enter the terrible culture that is anime? I'm pretty that punishable by death in some states.

I'm sure BGBW still has some extra Yuruyuri trophies from the aoty threads to send you!
They've been melted down and recast into a 20m tall Akari statue. Strangely, the local council hasn't said anything about it.

- Oh Kyon don't be like that. Just because you realized it too doesn't mean you get the credit. Haruhi is doing all the explaining.
KyoAni changed it from the LN where Kyon cracks the case and explains it. Then again the original didn't have the younger sister and they all got drunk. So yeah quite a few changes.

Gbraga

Knights of Sidonia 2

This really is a dystopian future. Being bullied for eating food instead of using photosynthesis? Let the Gauna win. The way they fit in some of the exposition/world building in this episode is pretty comical, some of these conversations are so amazingly awkward and forced.

Gauna? Like the Abara thingies? Are they all set in the same universe?

fertygo

Kawaisou - 01
Mayumi is great, but I can't complaint for short-hair bishoujo waifu..

Anyway that's pretty good start, show is good looking, I love the shading and the OP might the best for this season.

I already liking the cast more than what Sakurasou had, the humour also pretty good.

Jarmel

Banned
Knights of Sidonia 2-

Yep, I have a very good idea how this is going to play out. I'm still enjoying it for the planetary scifi aspect though. The four elites are going to get wiped out, thus depending on the noobies to save their ass. The MC will pull a victory either with or possibly without the lance thus granting him hero status. Rival character will get even more jealous and challenge him at that Light Festival thing.

The CGI also really is detracting from the experience though. That framerate :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There's no cure for weebs. Once you've got it, it just keeps coming back.
There is one simple cure, it's called going to Japan. See once a weeaboo realises that Japan isn't really all it's cracked up to be (don't get me wrong, it's a nice place to visit and I'll likely go again) their dream of living the Eastern life will likely die. A few examples.

• Japanese milk is really not that good. Was rather glad to get back to my lovely English milk.
  • Japanese TV is rather shoddy. I don't watch too much television but sometimes you're bored and want to watch something like say when you're doing the washing up or cooking. No luck with that in Japan.
  • Modern Japanese architecture is quite frankly a bit of an eyesore. Well done to Flowers of Evil for showing it like it is. I'm not exaggerating when I say the council estate down the road from me is more pleasant to look at than most Japanese new builds.
  • I have Good Friday off. If I was in Japan right now I'd likely have to go to work.

See, it's the factors that affects ones daily life that you have to consider. Once they realise that factors like the Japanese folding swords one thousand times with the power of honour has no bearing on your day to day life and the issues that actually aren't that great they'll soon stop cursing their non Japanese heritage.

Your favorite anime is shit.
Touché.

That ain't right. Don't pick on BGBW like that, Kill Me Baby is an anime of historical significance. Can't say that about whatever your favorite anime is!
Indeed.

Kanojo ga flag wo Oraretara - 02

I'm enjoying way more than i expected once i turned off my brain

Everything in this anime is cliché ... Everything but the cast so far manages to make this way more intresting than it's worth , so well i'll keep watching .

So , if i understand this , right .. the MC has to gather a party, the roles are set : ninja summonner , knight and so on ...how does he gather a party ? by conquest ! How does he conquest ? by setting up and breaking flags.
Why does he have to gather a party ? to learn about the truth of the world and recover his lost big sister that disapeared from everyone minds except his.

Ok , my brain was active during this part and this is obviouly one giant escuse form all king of flags and stupid situations..
Kanojo%20ga%20Flag%20wo%20Oraretara%20-%2002_01.jpg

It's no good to avoid your eyes from reality .. those flags have pink hearts in them !
Now the characters :

Friendly - chan was ok some big changes but overall her character is the same as before.

ONEEEEEESAN is a walking joke , they don't even explain why she act like this , how she manages to act like this , or even why she keep that giant cooking instrument around like a WEAPON even when she take a bath.. seriously ?
Tsundere mystery chan is quite alright... so far so good

Elder is wrong ...just wrong

Student concil president is ..... not what i expected.

Trap -chan is .... a trap no need to add anything.

As it stand this party won't stand a chance even in the first dongeon.

cajunator

Banned
You guys should read the Thomas Romain Space Dandy interview, he only mentions it in passing but it gives you a great idea of just what a well-oiled machine the production of Kissdum was:

Yeah it was quite obviously a clusterfuck from beginning to end and better for it.

ohhh Ohh scrapped princess vibes ?

*Goes up in my watch list *

i loved scrapped princess despite some of the flaws it had.

Same! To see a show revisiting those concepts is exciting to me.

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome then!

OK now I hate these people. I'd ask if they write their names the same way but they'd probably take the idea seriously.

Nah more like we know its bad but we're having way too much fun to care!

It doesn't matter which one it is because you can't go wrong with SHAFT.

Thats quite true.

cajunator

Banned
Still finishing off some backlog shows before really getting into spring. Last night I got through the following:

Infinite Stratos 2

This falls into the "dumb fun" category for me. And when it comes to Ichika, extra emphasis the dumb (even for a harem protag). I did like it for what it was. I do wish there was more action and less harem antics considering I actually did like the former quite a bit. Not expecting that out of a seemingly inevitable 3rd season though. Oh well.

Charles is still best girl.

Rosario + Vampire Capu2

This basically took all of the first season's fanservice and doubled down on it while taking itself far less seriously (relatively speaking). And as a result, I enjoyed it a lot more. "Inner" Moka actually ended up being my favorite character largely due to how she contrasted with the "Outer" Moka, particularly in the last couple of episodes.

Also, for some reason I just couldn't stop watching that OP :D.

Mizore makes it all better!

Is there anything AnimeGAF (as a whole) even agrees on?

ionOT0vHsNTXf.gif

That Kino's Journey is very good.

AnimeGAF, nyanpasu! I'll soon start watching some stuff, today I need to watch Kotonoha no Niwa, the third Berserk movie, Harmonie, Millennium Actress (yay cajun!) and finish Battle Tendency.

Just give me half an hour and I'll start with cajun's favorite.

HAHAHAHAHAHA you're goddamn right

:D

There is one simple cure, it's called going to Japan. See once a weeaboo realises that Japan isn't really all it's cracked up to be (don't get me wrong, it's a nice place to visit and I'll likely go again) their dream of living the Eastern life will likely die. A few examples.

• Japanese milk is really not that good. Was rather glad to get back to my lovely English milk.
  • Japanese TV is rather shoddy. I don't watch too much television but sometimes you're bored and want to watch something like say when you're doing the washing up or cooking. No luck with that in Japan.
  • Modern Japanese architecture is quite frankly a bit of an eyesore. Well done to Flowers of Evil for showing it like it is. I'm not exaggerating when I say the council estate down the road from me is more pleasant to look at than most Japanese new builds.
  • I have Good Friday off. If I was in Japan right now I'd likely have to go to work.

See, it's the factors that affects ones daily life that you have to consider. Once they realise that factors like the Japanese folding swords one thousand times with the power of honour has no bearing on your day to day life and the issues that actually aren't that great they'll soon stop cursing their non Japanese heritage.

Touché.

Indeed.

I would agree that many things about Japanese society and life there is glossed over. But once you find out the truth might not really like it at all.

I'm sorry for you >_<

At least you probably have cajun to keep you company, he's working 24/7.

Actually Im off work today because its my week off.

Space dandy - 12
Space%20Dandy%20-%2012.jpg

So stupid.
I finally understand the 2 avatars that "they" took here. ( and why )

It was a pretty cool episode and it shows that the teamwork of the BBC can't be denied.

Too bad we didn't see the wonders of QT fishing :)

cnet128

Banned
selector infected WIXOSS 3

What? TAMACHAN is evolving!

Ruuko and Hitoe is heartwarming. Akira is...the opposite of that.
Threatening to tear apart her own card, lol. How villainous can you get.

cajunator

Banned
Mekakucity Actors 01

SHaaaaaaaaaft!

Ene is a cutie as expected. This show was made on a budget of string cheese but I definitely liked it.

I could have sworn Mushishi S1 was streaming on Netflix. Of course when I want to watch it they take it off..

Nanana's Buried Treasure 1-2

The concept sounds great and I love treasure hunting / puzzle solving kind of stuff. But majority of episode 2 felt like a massive waste of time. The puzzle bit at the end was pretty great though.

Jex

So I'm re-watching Eureka Seven. The last time I watched it was probably...2008ish and I didn't really think much of the series then. I didn't really care for the main characters and thought the pacing was rather turgid, but this around I'm enjoy it a lot more. Of course, I'm only up to episode 10 so it's still early days.

Space dandy - 13

Qt , enjoy that coffee , you deserve it.

kUDOS FOR SPACE DANDY .

It was not perfect but it was damn enjoyable and freaking well animated.

cnet128

Banned
Ping Pong 2

I'm still having a bit of trouble "getting into" this show - the metaphorical hero imagery is weird and I'm honestly not quite sure what the point of it is, and I find myself having trouble keeping track of the characters occasionally (when Smile takes off his glasses I can barely recognise him >.>). But the show feels so cool and unique that I enjoy it regardless.

And to be honest even if I hated everything about the show I would probably keep watching it just for dat ED. Seriously. It's too good.

Needs more of the Chinese guy, though.

Madoka Magica 5

Man who would of thought being a magical girl would have so much psychological complexity, seriously ain't no game. Aside from that Homura being a badass stoping the fight was pretty great. Though I got to say that red head doesn't seem like the best girl, first off she acts like a little cocky bitch makes me want to stick whole loaf of bread down her mouth to shut her up. So far it's been really enjoyable though.

survivor

Banned
Atelier Escha & Logy 2
Ahc1jvc.jpg

pretty cool end card

I forgot to actually finish watching the episode yesterday. But as mentioned before, this really felt like the introductory quest in a JRPG where you go to the dungeon beside the starting town fetching some item to help a village. Also there is some shit ton of derpy :wonzo faces in this episode. I'm really glad they aren't animating any actual action scenes cause who knows how bad they will look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom