• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Anime do you think has the most asspulls that come out of nowhere. Like for me it would be FairyTail because seriously every arc has an asspull. There are points where you cant even imagine how Hiro does this, he just probably loves trolling his fans. Though I still like FairyTail.

Asspull as in power ups out of nowhere.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What Anime do you think has the most asspulls that come out of nowhere. Like for me it would be FairyTail because seriously every arc has an asspull. There are points where you cant even imagine how Hiro does this, he just probably loves trolling his fans. Though I still like FairyTail.
Gintama.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Really? I mean depending on what you define as an asspull I could see it. But Gintoki never gains any powers out of nowhere. You know he's a strong character from the get go. Bleach or Dragon Ball Z for me, assuming I'm understanding what you mean by asspull
Well he added that last line after I posted so I thought he was talking about asspulls in general rather than power specific. Gintama does like to mess with the viewer with random narratives pulled out of nowhere..

Well he added that last line after I posted so I thought he was talking about asspulls in general rather than power specific. Gintama does like to mess with the viewer with random narratives pulled out of nowhere..

Oh in that case yes. Gintama loves to troll the audience. Best example is in the Elizabeth Star Wars arc. That was glorious.

How many waifus are in this show?

No Game No Life waifu breakdown.

Steph
Former princess and Sora/Shiro personal playtoy. Pure bully material.

Shiro
Sora's sister. Representing
fake incest
and cuteness incarnate alike.

Clammy and Feel
Human
slave
and a Elf
owner
. Both have been friends for a long time.

Jibril
Angel with hax powers that will soon make her proper appearance. One of the strongest contenders for title of Best girl.

Izuna
Werebeast/
Kemonomimi
girl who has a rather
bad mouth
. Pure
jailbait

And a masochist mermaid queen, who might not make an appearance this season.

fertygo

Really? I mean depending on what you define as an asspull I could see it. But Gintoki never gains any powers out of nowhere. You know he's a strong character from the get go. Bleach or Dragon Ball Z for me, assuming I'm understanding what you mean by asspull

I can kinda agree despite my love to Gintama, I swear Gintoki always survive everytime he beaten up badly, some of the time felt unearned too.. I know its Shounen trope but still.

Btw talking about asspull, most of the stuff from JoJo is out from Araki ass.. He truly the king at pulling stuff from his bullshit lol.

Theonik

THE iDOLM@STER 08
iXQ4Qs4cF4F3L.png

#dead
So this was the Azusa episode. She was quite lovely in it.
And I can see why she's cute, she's almost like a lost puppy and how oblivious she is of her cuteness is in itself an enhancement to her cuteness. HOWEVER.
What REALLY stood out again with this episode was just how handsome and cute Makoto is. Like seriously how can she be the cutest while being the handsomest at the same time? IT SHOULD BE A CRIME. IT'S ATTEMPTED MURDER. YES I REALLY THINK SO MAKOTO! <3
Also look at this MAKOTO SAKUGA. Kakoiiiiiiiii.
So stronk. Nerf please

I can kinda agree despite my love to Gintama, I swear Gintoki always survive everytime he beaten up badly, some of the time felt unearned too.. I know its Shounen trope but still.

Btw talking about asspull, most of the stuff from JoJo is out from Araki ass.. He truly the king at pulling stuff from his bullshit lol.

Eh they didn't do it anymore than standard shonen, so it didn't bother me that much. The way I see it he uses all of his good luck on staying alive and meeting awesome people, so he has none left for a successful business. I mean you know that when a show has an episode making fun of asspulls/gaining an ultimate power, that it's good shonen.

If you haven't watch the Gintama movie (movie spoilers)
at least one version of Gintoki doesn't make it out alive

sonicmj1

Patlabor WXIII

Unworthy of bearing the Patlabor name.

iCBoIczDP3SVV.jpg

This is the first shot in the movie. A bad sign.

Dangle laid it out earlier. Accidents are happening to labors around Tokyo Bay, two detectives are put on the case, it turns out to be a giant fish monster that was the result of some military shit, yada yada yada. It's a very standard monster movie setup, and even the creatures design reminded me a little of the Korean cult classic "The Host". Which was a much better movie.

WXIII wasn't directed by Oshii, but instead by one Fumihiko Takayama, who over a decade earlier had directed the much-better-regarded Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (Backlog starts next week on Tuesday! Be there!). And it's clear he feels an obligation to follow in the footsteps of Oshii's earlier work. As the cops investigate leads and move around Tokyo, we have some new dialogue-free montages that, at least on a surface level, are similar to those of the earlier movies. We have stuff seen through the eyes of computer screens and cameras, adult characters and bureaucracy, plenty of mechanical animation. Were it not for the near-total absence of SV2, who only get any meaningful screen time in the film's final fifteen minutes, you might be able to fool an unattentive person into thinking this was another Patlabor movie.

ibaXVCVx03Hw5P.jpg
iX3iUVA2W3bqr.jpg

Every time they bring up SV2 in the early going, I felt like they were trying to kick me in the junk. SV2 was so much more fun to be around than these two joyless detectives. Even when they do appear, the updated designs don't do anyone any favors.

The problem is that it lacks any kind of meaningful connecting thread. The detective characters spend a lot of time being stoic and removed, possibly aiming for Patlabor 2's tone without the benefit of any of the history of lightness that its predecessor could draw on. I never cared what happened to them. The younger detective gets romantically involved with the sole female character in the movie outside of Noa, but I have no idea what draws him to her besides the fact that she's attractive and drives a fast car. And the plot and montage are lacking something, anything, to hold them together.

iX7mdVMxfNvEL.jpg
iHSXh9WrMBY25.jpg

ibrDe18onwWaCs.jpg
ibg9QLFY70xI9Y.jpg

What do these things have in common? They're in Tokyo!

To quote Oshii from around the time of Patlabor 1's release, "You can't depict a vision of the city just by drawing pictures of it. You need to extract your own views of the city from the way it actually looks and depict that vision." Takayama doesn't have any views about Tokyo. There's no real pattern to why different shots appear in a montage, no symbols developed over the course of the film. Oshii excelled at using those montages to build a framework alongside his plots that gave them structure and meaning. There's nothing like that in WXIII, so they're just an exercise in painting nice backgrounds. In past movies the motivation of the villain connected to the film's larger statements about society. Here the reason behind the chaos is that
a woman wanted to bring back her dead daughter by using the girl's cancer cells in a powerful, near-unkillable fish monster
, which is like some excuse from the worst recesses of B-tier video game storytelling. There's nothing useful to say about it. The overlapping threads of environmentalism, imperialism, and scientific meddling never intersect in a meaningful way.

It's like a thesis paper that has no thesis. Experiencing it just wastes your time.

if I could take just a moment to discuss what kind of show selector infected WIXOSS really is, Ipfhfhfffffffffhfhahahfhahahajhfahhahjahjfhhah I can't do it. No pics or webms this week. You can't encapsulate this episode's crazy in a cherrypicked sequence of images. It really, really is Meguca: The TCG: The Show. Oh man. For those of you not watching, just consider the following:

The premise of the show is that girls who play the TCG WIXOSS (and only girls, because boys are gross) will rarely pull a card that contains a sentient kawaii sprite creature thing called an LRIG. Possessing an LRIG turns the girl into a Selector, which means she's forcibly entered into a competition against all other Selectors with the victor becoming the Eternal Girl who can have any single wish granted. If a Selector loses three battles against another Selector, they cease to be a Selector and are out of the competition.

Ruko, the protagonist, becomes a Selector, but she's unique among Selectors because she has no wish. I FEEL LIKE THIS WAS THE DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC OF A CERTAIN FAMOUS PROTAGONIST. HUH. Her friend Yuzuki is also a Selector and wants to fuck her brother. They both befriend Hitoe, a shy girl whose wish is simply to make friends.

By episode five, Hitoe is happy. She says that her wish has already been granted without becoming the Eternal Girl because she befriended Ruko and Yuzuki. She had already lost two battles against Selectors, meaning she was only one loss away from elimination from the competition, but she doesn't really care because she doesn't need magic for her wish to be granted now. Hitoe's LRIG expresses vague concern at the beginning of the episode, telling Hitoe to get rid of her because "something bad will happen". No further explanation is provided. Later that day, Hitoe, Ruko, and Yuzuki agree to meet up for a WIXOSS tournament against non-Selectors. Ruko and Yuzuki are held up, and Hitoe waits alone.

Suddenly, Hitoe is ambushed by a mysterious figure and forced into a game of WIXOSS. She loses and ceases to be a Selector. Because she's vanished from the meeting spot, Ruko and Yuzuki begin to search around the neighborhood for her, finally finding her stumbling out of a tunnel with an empty expression. When they address her, she doesn't recognize them. When they touch her, it causes her physical pain.

Of course, Ruko and Yuzuki both immediately ask their LRIGs just what the fuck is going on here. The answer? "Oh, BY THE WAY. We neglected to tell you because LOL IDK, but IF YOU LOSE THREE TIMES, NOT ONLY ARE YOU NO LONGER A SELECTOR, YOUR WISH IS ANTI-GRANTED. You're not merely ineligible for your wish to be granted, but THE OPPOSITE OF YOUR WISH BECOMES REALITY. FOREVER. But it was just SOOOOOOOO HARD to tell you."

Examples are provided: if you wish to be rich and lose, you'll be poor for the rest of your life. If you wish to be able to play the piano, you'll lose your fingers. Because Hitoe's wish was to make friends, she'll never have another friend for the rest of her life, and if anyone tries to befriend her, she's automatically repulsed by pain. ahahahahahaha. Character who's happy that she won't be alone anymore only to be immediately taken out? NOPE, DOESN'T RING ANY BELLS.

So now, Yuzuki's brother will *gasp* never want to fuck her if she loses. Ruko actually tries to do what it took Meguca the whole series to do and declares that her wish is to undo the curse on Hitoe, but her LRIG immediately informs her that you can't do that because reasons.

Oh yeah, and there are two bitchy psycho fashion models named Akira and Iona who are incredibly strong players and Akira has had this weird sadistic stalker complex toward all of the protagonists and wants to defeat and humiliate them all because who knows.

The SHOCKU #gamechanger plot twist in this episode is such wonderfully fertile ground for batshit Okada drama that this isn't just about quietly enduring a weeby show to screencap some backgrounds. I want to see what happens now, because it's going to be one of those shows.

Amazing summary. I love this fucking show.

Link Man

Banned
if I could take just a moment to discuss what kind of show selector infected WIXOSS really is, Ipfhfhfffffffffhfhahahfhahahajhfahhahjahjfhhah I can't do it. No pics or webms this week. You can't encapsulate this episode's crazy in a cherrypicked sequence of images. It really, really is Meguca: The TCG: The Show. Oh man. For those of you not watching, just consider the following:

The premise of the show is that girls who play the TCG WIXOSS (and only girls, because boys are gross) will rarely pull a card that contains a sentient kawaii sprite creature thing called an LRIG. Possessing an LRIG turns the girl into a Selector, which means she's forcibly entered into a competition against all other Selectors with the victor becoming the Eternal Girl who can have any single wish granted. If a Selector loses three battles against another Selector, they cease to be a Selector and are out of the competition.

Ruko, the protagonist, becomes a Selector, but she's unique among Selectors because she has no wish. I FEEL LIKE THIS WAS THE DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC OF A CERTAIN FAMOUS PROTAGONIST. HUH. Her friend Yuzuki is also a Selector and wants to fuck her brother. They both befriend Hitoe, a shy girl whose wish is simply to make friends.

By episode five, Hitoe is happy. She says that her wish has already been granted without becoming the Eternal Girl because she befriended Ruko and Yuzuki. She had already lost two battles against Selectors, meaning she was only one loss away from elimination from the competition, but she doesn't really care because she doesn't need magic for her wish to be granted now. Hitoe's LRIG expresses vague concern at the beginning of the episode, telling Hitoe to get rid of her because "something bad will happen". No further explanation is provided. Later that day, Hitoe, Ruko, and Yuzuki agree to meet up for a WIXOSS tournament against non-Selectors. Ruko and Yuzuki are held up, and Hitoe waits alone.

Suddenly, Hitoe is ambushed by a mysterious figure and forced into a game of WIXOSS. She loses and ceases to be a Selector. Because she's vanished from the meeting spot, Ruko and Yuzuki begin to search around the neighborhood for her, finally finding her stumbling out of a tunnel with an empty expression. When they address her, she doesn't recognize them. When they touch her, it causes her physical pain.

Of course, Ruko and Yuzuki both immediately ask their LRIGs just what the fuck is going on here. The answer? "Oh, BY THE WAY. We neglected to tell you because LOL IDK, but IF YOU LOSE THREE TIMES, NOT ONLY ARE YOU NO LONGER A SELECTOR, YOUR WISH IS ANTI-GRANTED. You're not merely ineligible for your wish to be granted, but THE OPPOSITE OF YOUR WISH BECOMES REALITY. FOREVER. But it was just SOOOOOOOO HARD to tell you."

Examples are provided: if you wish to be rich and lose, you'll be poor for the rest of your life. If you wish to be able to play the piano, you'll lose your fingers. Because Hitoe's wish was to make friends, she'll never have another friend for the rest of her life, and if anyone tries to befriend her, she's automatically repulsed by pain. ahahahahahaha. Character who's happy that she won't be alone anymore only to be immediately taken out? NOPE, DOESN'T RING ANY BELLS.

So now, Yuzuki's brother will *gasp* never want to fuck her if she loses. Ruko actually tries to do what it took Meguca the whole series to do and declares that her wish is to undo the curse on Hitoe, but her LRIG immediately informs her that you can't do that because reasons.

Oh yeah, and there are two bitchy psycho fashion models named Akira and Iona who are incredibly strong players and Akira has had this weird sadistic stalker complex toward all of the protagonists and wants to defeat and humiliate them all because who knows.

The SHOCKU #gamechanger plot twist in this episode is such wonderfully fertile ground for batshit Okada drama that this isn't just about quietly enduring a weeby show to screencap some backgrounds. I want to see what happens now, because it's going to be one of those shows.

So what happens if you say you wish to be poor, then proceed to lose?

Patlabor WXIII

WXIII wasn't directed by Oshii, but instead by one Fumihiko Takayama, who over a decade earlier had directed the much-better-regarded Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (Backlog starts next week on Tuesday! Be there!). And it's clear he feels an obligation to follow in the footsteps of Oshii's earlier work.

I was unaware of Takayama's involvement in War in the Pocket. That is... concerning to say the least. Here's to hoping he redeems himself!

So what happens if you say you wish to be poor, then proceed to lose?

how does the game even account for wishes? Is it a verbal statement you make to your shitty card? If so, why wouldn't you just do the opposite and lose on purpose? Is it something the card knows if you're bullshitting by looking into your heart? Then people 'with no wishes' wouldn't exist because we all have some desire, whether it's minimal. The card would look at that and take that.
so fuck you anime logic you already fail with the new twist.

fertygo

how does the game even account for wishes? Is it a verbal statement you make to your shitty card? If so, why wouldn't you just do the opposite and lose on purpose? Is it something the card knows if you're bullshitting by looking into your heart? Then people 'with no wishes' wouldn't exist because we all have some desire, whether it's minimal. The card would look at that and take that.
madp already saying the losing thing is hidden rules that the player don't ever know until feeling it though lol

madp already saying the losing thing is hidden rules that the player don't ever know until feeling it though lol

The way he said it made it seem like the anime just went
"Oh by the way we should've mentioned this, COMPLETELY slipped our minds". Which if that's the case, then as long as somebody is smart enough to ask "wait grant my wishes if I win? That sounds too good to be true, what's the catch?". Seriously does nobody have common sense? Maybe I'm a skeptic and wouldn't trust a fucking talking card if my life depended on it

You can't be Yu Gi Oh Wixoss. In fact in comparison, you are weak sauce.

sonicmj1

I was unaware of Takayama's involvement in War in the Pocket. That is... concerning to say the least. Here's to hoping he redeems himself!

It's a little bit concerning, but there's a lot of time separating the two anime, and plenty of normally-good directors have had their fuckups in the past, Oshii included. I think that in this situation, he took on the task of making an Oshii-esque movie without really understanding how to put it all together, and so he wound up with something utterly empty. That shouldn't be a problem in 0080, so I'm optimistic based on the impressions of others.

And incest. I'm terrified of ever living in Japan with a family. If my kids of opposite sex watch anime they'd start to think that having feelings for your siblings is common and maybe develop those feelings.

Yay, more WIXOSS watchers!

...I hate you.

Sorry, but I already watched one show about young girls, magic, and wishes that I really enjoyed. I don't exactly want to see that premise get mixed in with Yu-Gi-Oh.

But maaaaayyyybe I'll check it out to see what all this fuss is about another time. Maybe.

Gundam 00 S1 - 25 END

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

"I am the main character now!"

YOU DID ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE DAMN SERIES. ALL YOU DID WAS SHUFFLE AROUND TALKING ABOUT THINGS AND SCREW AROUND WITH A SUPER COMPUTER INSIDE THE MOON! Technically that wasn't even you! Your buddy Ribbons did all the work on that regard! What makes you think you can just waltz right in and declare yourself the new main villain?!? That was Ghram's job! Thank goodness Setsuna finished you off quickly! Otherwise we couldn't have had the long-awaited fight between them again!

So anyway, this wasn't that bad of an ending for the first season aside from that. I honestly expected worse. I'm definetly in the "I really like it" crowd when it comes to Gundam 00 S1.

Yeah, it ended on a cliffhanger, like I expected it too, but it wasn't as huge a cliffhanger as I expected it would be. They did leave a lot of plot threads hanging though, which I guess will be resolved in S2. Or maybe they won't, considering the hate S2 gets.

I do have some problems with some other parts of S1 though, like the
subplot of Saji's sister looking into CB felt pointless. It didn't exactly go anywhere, and didn't contribute anything to the main plot, aside from making Saji an even more tragic character than he already was at that point

Still though, I'd have to say that Gundam 00 S1 is still very good. The show certainly knew how to keep me hooked with its tension and its action scenes.

But anyway, time to get into S2. Let's see how low this show goes!

It's a little bit concerning, but there's a lot of time separating the two anime, and plenty of normally-good directors have had their fuckups in the past, Oshii included. I think that in this situation, he took on the task of making an Oshii-esque movie without really understanding how to put it all together, and so he wound up with something utterly empty. That shouldn't be a problem in 0080, so I'm optimistic based on the impressions of others.

Yeah, one of the reasons why I said the direction was on autopilot was because it felt the need to adhere to Oshii's past work (namely Patlabor 2) without understanding why it worked. I keep seeing that Takuji Endo was also credited with co-directing from other sources outside of the ANN database, so I'm wondering if the film was possibly the result of a conflicting production coupled with a bad script?

Still, it's hard to ignore the praise for War in the Pocket that I've read as well. You're most likely right that WXIII was just a dud amongst a solid body of work.

Golden Time END - Hey, I kinda liked this show. Maybe not quite as much as Toradora but still enjoyable. Koko fluctuated between painfully annoying and generally likable. I felt the ending was a little more satisfying and offered more closure than Toradora did.

cajunator

Banned
I'm at work right now and don't have the box to hand, but I remember looking when it arrived and not seeing anything that looked like a traditional region symbol. I'll give it a more thorough check when I get home. Also I'd usually go on a google hunt for the answer but I'm kinda worried about stumbling across spoilers.

Yeah, I got it from RightStuf, but like MikeHattsu says I doubt the UK being a valid shipping destination means it'll definitely run here.

Yall gotta good point. I cant honestly say for sure because I didnt see the region code when I watched it. But its up to Aniplex where they want it to be seen and they mainly seem to just want to keep it out of Japanese hands for reverse import reasons.

*nods*

It's so cringeworthy to me that it made me drop the show, at least for the time being. Not the only reason, but boy did it not help my enjoyment.

whaaaaat?! Thats what sold me completely on Moonphase to begin with. In a sea of normal OP's that one really stood out back then. I had no idea hwat shaft Studio was but I fell in love with the look and style of that show right from that opening. Even put the song on a CD in my car.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

I had this in the backlog since forever and decided to give it a look:

What... the hell... is this?

IXBhZS9.jpg

I have seen two episodes and it´s the most random stuff I have found in long time... I wonder if I should drop it before it affects my mental health but I'm curious.

Mushishi S1 4

Still very nice, I like how collected it´s Ginko, seems like a really interesting character. The pace is slow but it suit the series, really relaxing even if it deals with some serious issues. The art is great, I like how exuberant is the background.

Hunter X Hunter 127

After watching again 126 (and appreciate it even more), 127 it´s a nice warm up for what I assume it´s going to happen. This arc is going places.

NO dont drop Jinrui that would be a huge mistake. It was one of the best shows of that season and even that year. Its weird but theres reason behind the madness. Its a very unique and fresh idea for a show and your patience should be rewarded.

What the heck is that gif from?

reverse image searching turned up nothing.

Arcade Gamer Fubuki is so badgood.

Chill out. It is a story. Fiction is full of fridge logic.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 1 - Holy crap. How are shows like this even allowed on TV? Right out of the box with child nudity and weird ghost molestation.

I'm going to keep watching.

BluWacky

cajunator

Banned

Asspull as in power ups out of nowhere.

Hmm. Code Geass does but in an awesome way.

THE iDOLM@STER 08

So this was the Azusa episode. She was quite lovely in it.
And I can see why she's cute, she's almost like a lost puppy and how oblivious she is of her cuteness is in itself an enhancement to her cuteness. HOWEVER.
What REALLY stood out again with this episode was just how handsome and cute Makoto is. Like seriously how can she be the cutest while being the handsomest at the same time? IT SHOULD BE A CRIME. IT'S ATTEMPTED MURDER. YES I REALLY THINK SO MAKOTO! <3
Also look at this MAKOTO SAKUGA. Kakoiiiiiiiii.
So stronk. Nerf please

This whole post loaded flawlessly for me and provided me with ample Makoto action without killing my CPU. Im a believer in webm.

And incest. I'm terrified of ever living in Japan with a family. If my kids of opposite sex watch anime they'd start to think that having feelings for your siblings is common and maybe develop those feelings.

Im terrified of living in Japan period.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 1 - Holy crap. How are shows like this even allowed on TV? Right out of the box with child nudity and weird ghost molestation.

I'm going to keep watching.

Its completely awful and not in a great way. Not even the bits of cuteness could keep me watching that one.

BluWacky

I'm confused - I thought Persona 4 Golden was just a portable version of Persona 4 with a new subtitle. Is it significantly different from the original version? It's only been a couple of years since the original, surely?

I mean, I guess they remade FMA after seven years or so, but the time gap here seems much shorter.

Link Man

Banned
Gatchaman wa Usagi 4

-Chino does her best Renge impression this episode. Err, that is, if Renge were yuri.

-Now imagine that supermarket jumping scene with mature girls. Chet would probably die.

-So, Chino reads fortunes with coffee stains. A new take on reading tea leaves.

-Wait, they're just accepting that
Tippy talks
?

-A rabbit being carried off by crows. Okay.

iQp4J7iJZUM6w.jpg

Ara ara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom