• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
4LPCZL9.png

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome to the official anime community thread of the Spring season. Conversation for all anime, old and new, is welcome. If you're uncertain what to watch just give us a shout, we're willing to help! The cold days of winter are behind us and some people believe that means this year’s anime is only going to get better. But last season had Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R so is such a thing even possible? Let’s take a gander below to see what shows are on offer this time round.

By the by, we should note that piracy is bad. Don’t link to illegal steams, torrents file sharing sites or whatever. Also fansub discussion is not OK.

ZWLMr8T.png

05tj0Ru.png

1. Aikatsu Stars!
The series will feature a new protagonist named Yume Nijino. Yume aims to become a top idol, and she enrolls in the Yotsusei Gakuen (Four Stars Academy). This academy has a special group called the S4, who are the top four active idols in the school. Yume and the other first-year students aim to become a part of the S4.

2. Bakuon!!
zICBjuj.png

When Sakura Hane bumps into the motorbike riding Onsa Amano on the way to school she becomes instantly fascinated. From here they they decide to join the motorcycle club run by a mysterious helmet wearing gal.

3. Bungou Stray Dogs
zICBjuj.png

Nakajima Atsushi was kicked out of his orphanage, and now he has no place to go and no food. While he is standing by a river, on the brink of starvation, he rescues a man whimsically attempting suicide. That man is Dazai Osamu, and he and his partner Kunikida are members of a very special detective agency. They have supernatural powers and deal with cases that are too dangerous for the police or the military. They're tracking down a tiger that has appeared in the area recently, around the time Atsushi came to the area. The tiger seems to have a connection to Atsushi, and by the time the case is solved, it is clear that Atsushi's future will involve much more of Dazai and the rest of the detectives!

4. Flying Witch
zICBjuj.png

Flying Witch is a slice of life story about a young witch in training as she revisits her childhood friend in the country side and stays with her family. Magic is treated as something subtle, so you won't find anything super bombastic about it, instead it focuses on how witches and magic are quietly coexisting with normal society and doesn't seem to be building up to anything big; it's mostly how magic interacts with and witches live in daily life. All in all, it's a pretty relaxing read and should translate well as a cute “healing” anime.

5mR9fMn.png

5. High School Fleet (Haifuri)
zICBjuj.png
if51RD4.png
yoVHwbp.png

To mark the end of war women have been placed in charge of the navy as a symbol of peace. They are known as the Blue Mermaids. Two friends decide when they’re older they’ll enrol to become Blue Mermaids to protect the oceans and so this is their story. However on the first day of naval school things are not what they seem when their first training mission turns dangerous.

6. Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto (Sakamoto desu ga?)
zICBjuj.png

First year high school student Sakamoto isn't just cool, he's the coolest! Almost immediately after starting school, he began attracting everyone's attention. The girls love him, and most of the boys resent him. There's even a boy in the class who works as a model, but who is constantly upstaged by Sakamoto! No matter what tricks the other boys try to play on him, Sakamoto always manages to foil them with ease and grace. Though Sakamoto may seem cool and aloof, he helps others when asked, such as in the case of the boy in his class who was being constantly bullied. No matter what difficulties Sakamoto encounters, he moves through his high school life with confidence and class.

7. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable (JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai)
zICBjuj.png

The coastal town of Morioh is plagued by the "Bow and Arrow," an ancient artifact which manifests latent stand abilities in criminals and ordinary folk alike. At the same time as they are dealing with the huge influx of stand users—both good and bad—in Morioh, high schooler Jousuke Higashikata and his friends are searching for the culprit of a series of homicides.

8. Joker Game
zICBjuj.png

The year is 1937. Lieutenant Colonel Yuuki establishes a secret spy organization called "D Agency" within the Imperial Japanese Army. He recruits anyone who can pass his stringent entrance exam, no matter their background. Trained to be the best of the best, they operate in a manner contrary to the core tenants of the Imperial Army: "Don't kill; don't die; deceive everyone." Two years later, despite opposition by key figures within the army, members of D Agency are active both within Japan and beyond its borders, working in absolute secrecy to fulfill their missions.

60wr5jy.png

9. Kaaewani -II- (Kagewani: Shou)
zICBjuj.png

The second series of the interesting monster of the week show.

10. Kiznaiver
zICBjuj.png

One day, Noriko Sonosaki tells her classmate Katsuhira Agata, "You have been selected to be a Kiznaiver." The Kizuna System, which allows Katsuhira to share his wounds, connects him to the classmates whose lives and personalities completely differ from his. The Kizuna System is an incomplete system for the implementation of world peace that connects people through wounds. All those who are connected to this system are called Kiznaivers. When one Kiznaiver is wounded, the system divides and transmits the wound among the other Kiznaivers. Sugomori City is built on reclaimed land, but as the years go by, the city's population is decreasing.

11. Kuma Miko: Girl Meets Bear
if51RD4.png

The manga follows Machi, a middle school student who serves as a shrine maiden at a Shinto shrine and takes care of a bear, who lives on mountain in Japan's northern Tohoku region. The bear, Natsu, has the ability to talk and is Machi's guardian. When Machi explains to Natsu that she will attend a school in the city, he gives Machi a set of trials that she must pass in order to be able to survive city life.

12. The Lost Village (Mayoiga)
zICBjuj.png

Thirty men and women come together for a bus tour to a ghost town deep in the mountains, Nanakimura. Some speak of an urban legend that this place could be a utopia, unshackled by the outside world. But now, only a faint impression of the lives that once lived here remain.

Despair, boredom, hope... something or other has drawn these thirty individuals to this place. What truth will they find there?

eBUVJA2.png

13. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 (Kidou Senshi Gundam RE: 0096)
zICBjuj.png
yoVHwbp.png

U.C. 0096...
The manufacturing colony Industrial 7, which is still under construction, floats at Lagrange point 1.
A youth named Banagher Links, who grew up without knowing his father, meets a mysterious girl who has stowed away on a ship bound for Industrial 7. As the white mobile suit Unicorn undergoes repeated tests and becomes the subject of diverse speculations, the hands of time begin to move.
Banagher does not yet know that he has been caught up in the conflict surrounding Laplace's Box.

14. My Hero Academia (Boku no Hero Academia)
if51RD4.png

In a few words: A boy wants to be a hero but doesn't have any powers while everyone else in the world does. The strong points of the series are likable characters, fast pacing and striking art style.

Midoriya Izuku, a teenage boy in middle school, lives in a world where superpowers, known as "quirks", have become commonplace and are an active part of society. Midoriya too wants to become a hero and help people, but he is one of the rare cases who lack superpowers. Not one to give up, he still wants to join the best academy for aspiring Superheroes, Yuuei, and use his knowledge to be the best hero he can possibly be.

15. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari!)
zICBjuj.png

An anime adaptation of the favoured gaming series. Some say it may be a bit too true the source with the subpar animation so it may be better to just stick to the games.

16. Three Leaves, Three Colors (Sansha Sanyou)
if51RD4.png

Futaba Odagiri is the new transfer student with a super energetic personality; Teru Hayama is the class president with a surprisingly mean personality contrary to her innocent looks; and Youko Nishikawa is from a formerly rich, now extremely poor family who still holds on to her princess attitude. These three unlikely students with clashing personalities become good friends and survive the day-to-day teenage life in a very funny story.

RPYGW9M.png

17. Super Lovers!
zICBjuj.png

Super Lovers is a wholesome manga focusing on the heart. Striking at the core of what makes a human a human it brilliantly highlights the touching relationship between a young orphaned Canadian boy taken in by a prominent writer's family. After a fateful encounter over the summer, the manga switches gears and becomes a dazzling coming of age story of the adopted boy and his relationship with the Kaidou family in Japan.

This innovative series goes against the grain for the romantic drama. Featuring people pursing their dreams of starting their own business while working at a host club, a boy as he grows through the years out of his natural Canadian environment and in the dazzling cities of Japan, and the myriad friendships and family relationships that develop in Japan, it has something to appeal to everyone. It will have one of the purest and most pleasing brotherly love moments anyone could ask for animated. Its a must watch.

18. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
zICBjuj.png

Agetarou works at his family's tonkatsu restaurant in Shibuya, but he's not very excited by the work. One day, he takes a delivery to the staff of a night club, and the worker lets him in to enjoy the club for a while. Agetarou finds that he loves the club, with its relaxed people and cute girls, all enjoying the music supplied by the DJ. He continues going to the club, until the night comes when the guest American DJ Big Master Fly puts on a show. Agetarou is inspired by Big Master Fly, and realizes that the groove of being a DJ is very similar to the groove of being a tonkatsu chef. Now Agetarou is determined to master both disciplines, though he is most excited to become a DJ!

19. Space Patrol Luluco (Uchuu Patrol Luluco)
zICBjuj.png

The show takes place in Ogikubo, which is the name of the specially designated area in space in the Milky Way where Earthlings and aliens can live together. Luluco is a female middle school student who lives with her father, and no matter where she is, Luluco is a common, "super normal" girl. As she is living her normal life, one day the mysterious transfer student ΑΩ Nova abruptly appears before her. That meeting will change Luluco's fate.

20. Anne-Happy♪ (Unhappy♪)
zICBjuj.png

The story centers around class 1-7 of Tennomifune Academy, where all the students with "bad karma" or misfortune seem to have been gathered. Hibari, a student in this class, meets the unlucky Hanako and the perennially unhealthy Botan on her first day of school, and together they try to find a way to turn their school life into a happy one.

For more information on what is showing this season please check out AniChart for a full season breakdown.

3erOQL2.png

Of course choosing what to watch in a new season is always a gamble. So if you prefer to catchup up on shows of known quality here’s a few shows from last season that are worth checking out. Of course you can also ask in this thread for any other recommendations.

oD8mZd4.png

1. Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R
zICBjuj.png

100% approval rating by all those who watched it making this the number one show of the previous season. A parody of the magical girl genre with a sprinkling of idolises for good measure, the show follows the adventures of Komugi-chan as she battles to balance real life with her new found magical life. But things won’t be easy when two new magical girls appear on the scene… It’s fun fantasy with the magical three just you wait and see, it’s Komugi and company!

2. KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World (Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!)
zICBjuj.png

KonoSuba is story that takes the "Average boy in fantasy world with RPG like aspects", but instead of making it serious with a main character who is like a god, they make is a parody of those animes and make it a comedic version of the fantasy setting.
The gags are good, if not sometimes overtly based on sexual innuendo, but the show has a refreshing quality to it as it avoids many major anime tropes. The character interactions and the hilarious way they interact make this worth a watch since each character has a major flaw that adds to the charm and everyday camraderie among the various friends in the show. It’s a good comedy that doesn’t take itself seriously and allows you to laugh at the characters and the abuse they give each other. There is a bit if fanservice in the show (especially ep.9) but the overall focus is on the characters interactions and their adventures.

3. Please Tell Me! Galko-chan (Oshiete! Galko-chan)
zICBjuj.png

Have you ever wondered what goes on in the mind of the female species? Well this show sets out to reveal the dark secret of non-man kind. Do you dare draw the curtain and risk seeing gals in a new light?

4. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
zICBjuj.png

Adaptation of the winner of Best General Manga in the 38th Kodansha Manga Awards, this series tells the tales of several people involved in the traditional Japanese comic storytelling art of rakugo in the 1970s. It begins with an ex-yakuza just released from prison who becomes the apprentince of an elderly rakugo master.

8c3xa6I.png

Below are the times for all simulcasts. All times are UTC+00:00 - This will be updated as more simulcasts are announced.

Monday
17:00 - Bakuon!!
zICBjuj.png

18:30 - Uskame
zICBjuj.png

18:35 - Wagamama High Spec
zICBjuj.png

19:15 - Cerberus
zICBjuj.png

19:45 - Hundred
zICBjuj.png

Tuesday
12:00 - Shonen Ashine Go! Go! Goma-chan
zICBjuj.png

18:00 - Joker Game
zICBjuj.png

Wednesday
12:00 - Twin Star Exorcists
zICBjuj.png

16:30 - Crane Game Girls
zICBjuj.png

18:35 - Bungo Stray Dogs
zICBjuj.png

19:05 - Super Lovers
zICBjuj.png

Thursday
15:00 - Anne-Happy
zICBjuj.png

17:00 - And You Thought There Is Never A Girl Online
if51RD4.png

16:55 - Assassination Classroom
if51RD4.png

Friday
14:00 - Concrete Revolutio
if51RD4.png

15:20 - Space Patrol Luluco (Uchuu Patrol Luluco)
zICBjuj.png

16:40 - Kagewani -II-
zICBjuj.png

17:30 - JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
zICBjuj.png

18:05 - Terraformars Revenge
zICBjuj.png

19:10 - Big Order
zICBjuj.png

Saturday
01:30 - Shonen Maid
if51RD4.png

02:30 - The Lost Village
zICBjuj.png

12:00 - Ace Attorney
zICBjuj.png

15:00 - Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
zICBjuj.png

16:30 - Kiznaiver
zICBjuj.png

17:30 - High School Fleet
zICBjuj.png
if51RD4.png
yoVHwbp.png

20:00 - Endride
if51RD4.png

23:30 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0069
zICBjuj.png
yoVHwbp.png

Sunday
02:00 - Flying Witch
zICBjuj.png

10:00 - My Hero Academia (Boku no Hero Academia)
if51RD4.png

14:00 - Pan de Peace
zICBjuj.png

16:45 - Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro
zICBjuj.png

17:00 - Three Leaves, Three Colors
if51RD4.png

18:00 - Kumamiki -Girl Meets Bear-
if51RD4.png

18:35 - RE:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-
zICBjuj.png

- Crunchyroll
- Funimaion
- Daisuki
[url=http://www.crunchyroll.com/simulcastcalendar]Source 1
[/url] Source 2

For a full list of times in your local timezone check out Senpai Anime Charts.

wNoomL0.png

[thread=1205852]Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto IOTI This Thread is Writen in Cursive[/thread]
[thread=1202858]JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4 anime 啊OT啊 What a Beautiful Duwang[/thread]
[thread=1205552]Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)[/thread]
[thread=1206200]Kiznaiver |OT| Trigger's Wounds Will Not Heal[/thread]
[thread=1203426]Mayoiga “The Lost Village” (TV/Anime) |OT| This is not the Disney we asked for…[/thread]
[thread=1203630]My Hero Academia Anime |OT| So this is what a smart shonen protagonist feels like.[/thread]
[thread=848444]Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you![/thread]

Lx3JdE4.png

phaze

Magnificent work. I imagine that making those threads (and then getting criticized )is a major pain in the ass but really, thanks for taking the time to do it and gracing us with your photoshop skills.

JulianImp

So no streaming service has picked Sakamoto up yet? I was definitely considering watching it, so hopefully it goes on CR.

Wait, is that college age/young adult GAF-chan in the OT? What kind of car wreck did she get into?

There's one thing I'm sure about: it must've been the work of an enemy stand.

Still, the banner could've used some ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ~

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
MetroidPrimeRib;199882960[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202858" said:
Here is the JoJo OT.[/URL]

SalvaPot is making the My Hero Academia OT. Nintendoman the Ace Attorney OT. I am making the Kabaneri OT.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the links when they're posted in this thread.

Also good thing I didn't go with the duwang subtitle. That could have been embarrassing.

Wait, is that college age/young adult GAF-chan in the OT?
She's always been 29 years old.

Line_HTX

So no streaming service has picked Sakamoto up yet? I was definitely considering watching it, so hopefully it goes on CR.

There's one thing I'm sure about: it must've been the work of an enemy stand.

Still, the banner could've used some ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ~

I like how you're upside down, lol.

What's the GO GO GO GO sound effect supposed to be?

Just T

Space Patrol Luluco: 1

This was entertaining, got a couple of chuckles in. Hope it turns out to be a fun short. Also didn’t know Bonjour Suzuki was doing the ED.

Cornbread78

I'm ready to welcome people who will start Super Lovers based on DTL's synopsis.

I at least tagged it as BL, lol.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the links when they're posted in this thread.
Also good thing I didn't go with the duwang subtitle. That could have been embarrassing.
She's always been 29 years old.

LOL, so she's like (or was in previous seasons) drawn the leads in Shirakako then... I get it.

JulianImp

I like how you're upside down, lol.

What's the GO GO GO GO sound effect supposed to be?

Felt like doing something for today but being at work meant I wasn't going to bother making a new avatar, so I had to make do with Windows Image Preview's good old rotation tool. I'm probably going back to my weekly avatar rotation sometime soon, but I'd want to get more than just three or four of them.

The "GOGOGOGO" is a "menacing" SFX onomatopeia (don't ask) that's used often in JoJo.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable 01
I don't know if I've changed as a person to view this series differently, but the violence here seemed pretty senseless and off-putting. No part of this was very fun, exciting, or creative outside of connecting dots and drawing parallels to where the series has been before, which didn't really reflect favorably on Diamond is Unbreakable's opener. I'm sure there will be reasons to like Josuke in the future, but the hot-headed nature that emerges when he's riled up over vain things like his hair is already tiresome. I get that he has the ability to heal people and everything, but he basically drove his fist through an innocent woman just to hurt a guy who insulted his hair. When that's supposed to be the climax of the episode or something I just can't really enjoy the episode, and my hang-ups of the mindless violence tossed around by Josuke's mother and the promise of more stand serial crime sure flatlines me looking forward to this.

It's been a while since I was really excited for an anime season. There's so much to watch and try out.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable 01

I don't know if I've changed as a person to view this series differently, but the violence here seemed pretty senseless and off-putting. No part of this was very fun, exciting, or creative outside of connecting dots and drawing parallels to where the series has been before, which didn't really reflect favorably on Diamond is Unbreakable's opener. I'm sure there will be reasons to like Josuke in the future, but the hot-headed nature that emerges when he's riled up over vain things like his hair is already tiresome. I get that he has the ability to heal people and everything, but he basically drove his fist through an innocent woman just to hurt a guy who insulted his hair. When that's supposed to be the climax of the episode or something I just can't really enjoy the episode, and my hang-ups of the mindless violence tossed around by Josuke's mother and the promise of more stand serial crime sure flatlines me looking forward to this.

The woman didn't get hurt though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The woman didn't get hurt though.
I mean...his fist passes through her. If we want to pretend that she doesn't feel anything because she's instantly healed or whatever I dunno what to say. It's still gross to me.

Line_HTX

Now I can finally write my impressions.

SPACE PATROL LULUCO 01

This is pretty good. As I've said, it might be the first time where I don't get annoyed at Trigger's obnoxiousness like their previous shows, plus it probably helps that it's an 8 minute short. Love their use of real world pictures.

Ascheroth

Posting impressions of spring shows in the winter thread felt weird, so I'm moving them to their proper place.

Lulucop - 01

Inferno Cop Kamina the best.
Bring on the insanity.

Ushio to Tora - 27

It's baaack.
And they aren't wasting any time. Things are getting serious.
Hakumen no Mono memory erasing Ushio and Tora from everyone and their mother makes for an interesting change in dynamics.

Kagewani Shou - 01

Back as if it were never gone. First episode starting things off as creepy as possible and the creature design continues to be excellent.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable - 01

I'm crying. What a time to be alive.
Amazing first episode, the quality leap in comparison to Stardust Crusaders is insane. I freaking love the color palette, the character designs, the music, the atmosphere, everything. It's just oozing with style.

Rakugo 13

Huge AOTY candidate, spectacular show. So glad this is getting a second season. If it happens to drop this year, I'm sure both seasons will take the AOTY crown ahaha. Everything about this show was just so high quality, from the direction, to the animation, to the story, to the soundtrack, the voice work. Truly one of those masterpieces that I dare to put up there with Hyouka in my books. Simply amazing. If you haven't already, you should watch this show, because this my friends is what a great anime is. No need for flashy fighting scenes or unnecessary fan service. Just pure storytelling and character interaction, along with a bit of a history lesson taking you back to the showa era. Everyone GO WATCH THIS NOW.

So guys I am a little lost. I see everywhere that MHA is suppose to stream at 5am ET on Sunday but Funimation launch event is at 1 am ET. Am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom