• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Both FMA series started after the big three so that's a good answer.

Fairy Tail also got pretty damn big at one point.

I also like AOT as an answer. SAO is an obvious one that unlike AOT has probably sustained most of its popularity.

If you're talking about an actual new Big 3 there isn't one since that refers to three Weekly Shonen Jump Series only. The closest thing you have now is One Piece/Shokugeki no Soma/My Hero Academia but in reality its One Piece/Tokyo Ghoul/Attack on Titan

I mean if you are talking strictly the first volume sales that might be possible, but there is no way in hell a series that released less than a year ago has more total lifetime sales than something like FMA. Especially since yuri on ice hasn't actually released on DVD outside of japan that I know of yet.

beyond all of that, if you are trying to argue strictly for the japanese market just stop.

the big three is clearly in regards to the world wide market and not just japan. and thus we would be talking about worldwide success not just japan.

I thought the big three stuff was mainly about manga sales?

zulux21

Worldwide success is hard to gauge since most people outside of Japan still just pirate or use non-legal streaming sites.

If you want to use the number of episodes rhetoric then boy Gintama, One Piece and Dragon Ball probably win out because of how many volumes they actually have but by sheer average its still Bakemonogatari and its practically unbeatable because the only things to come close are Osomatsu or Love Live with event tickets and then the sales drop off after vol 1

And the "disc sales dont matter" is really only true for some adaptations where the goal is to sell more light novels or magazines.

eh... it's still all about the merch.

and I never said the number of episodes is a gauge of success... but the number of episodes directly correlates to how many disks will be released.

if you have two shows that are near equal in popularity, but one has 4 total disks released and the other has 20. then unless the one that has 4 manages to sell 5 times more copies then the other on average, it's not going to touch the disk sales of the other series.

and as for worldwide success being hard to gauge... since we don't have hard numbers it can be... but at the same time anyone seriously trying to argue that yuri on ice is as successful as attack on titan clearly has problems separating personal feelings/the current moment and reality.

Yuri on ice has a vocal following now, and is no doubt successful. But its not remotely close to the overall success of attack on titan.

perhaps another yuri series or two in the next few years and it could maybe actually compete. but it's basically like arguing that Horizon zero dawn's success is anywhere near the elder scrolls series in general @_@.

horizon is selling more right now in this moment, and is being talked about more right now in the moment. but the elder scrolls series is clearly the far more successful franchise.

nah... it's not that complicated.

really the big three where just the big three series that were coming out of japan that most americans knew.
they were known to be supporting shonen jump and seemed like they would never end.

that's it as far as I know. they were just the never ending shonen shows which were still airing that everyone knew as anime became more available in the NA. in regards to the big three I really don't think japan matters to much otherwise I would imagine detective conan would have been included (though I don't think conan is a SJ series but still) as it has almost always gotten better ratings than bleach or naruto.

"The Big Three" is a dumb term because it only existed outside of the Japanese market among people that never contributed to the sales. WSJ never gave a shit about the Big Three because the Big Three doesn't exist to them. Yes, Bleach, One Piece and Naruto were all/still are big series but how many magazines of WSJ were they selling to Westerners?

And the term Big Three fails to recognize how fucking big One Piece and putting Bleach on the same pedestal as OP and Naruto when it comes to sales was always goofy. Bleach was huge, yes. But its like saying Avatar, Avengers Age of Ultron and Spider-Man 3 are all on the same tier. They aren't.

zulux21

"The Big Three" is a dumb term because it only existed outside of the Japanese market among people that never contributed to the sales. WSJ never gave a shit about the Big Three because the Big Three doesn't exist to them. Yes, Bleach, One Piece and Naruto were all/still are big series but how many magazines of WSJ were they selling to Westerners?

And the term Big Three fails to recognize how fucking big One Piece and putting Bleach on the same pedestal as OP and Naruto when it comes to sales was always goofy. Bleach was huge, yes. But its like saying Avatar, Avengers Age of Ultron and Spider-Man 3 are all on the same tier. They aren't.

to be fair bleach is more popular than one piece in north america :(

Cornbread78

Both FMA series started after the big three so that's a good answer.

Fairy Tail also got pretty damn big at one point.

I also like AOT as an answer. SAO is an obvious one that unlike AOT has probably sustained most of its popularity.

Yes, SAO and Fairy Tail ftw!

How the fuck does Titan end up being one cour?

What the fuck. I can understand FMP being one cour due to the risk involved but this shit is going to make straight bank and has the source material set.

Eh, I think it's ok, if the next season comes in say, 9 months, and not in 30 months like the wait between S1 and S2.

zulux21

Not anymore it isn't!

I'm sure Naruto is still ahead of it though.
idk..
I still see way more bleach cosplayers at the conventions I go to than one piece ones (though one piece fans are way better at group cosplay)

that being said...
yeah... naruto craps all over both of them as bleach + one piece combined doesn't touch naruto numbers at my cons.

You could add up every Bleach fan worldwide, and it would still be less than the sales of the lowest selling One Piece volume in Japan.

are we counting people that ever enjoyed bleach, or still actively call themselves fans.
as I think if we count anyone that ever enjoyed it that if we add up all the people worldwide it would just squeak ahead of the worst selling one piece volume :p

now if you meant to say every bleach volume wold worldwide... then yeah... most likely. I can't really see bleach more than doubling it's manga sales with worldwide numbers instead of just japan (as logically the first volume of bleach is far closer to the worst selling one piece volume then the overall 25% of the one piece sales that bleach has in general)

to be fair bleach is more popular than one piece in north america :(

Even if it was at one point (it certainly was a decade or so ago) not anymore.

idk..
I still see way more bleach cosplayers at the conventions I go to than one piece ones (though one piece fans are way better at group cosplay)

that being said...
yeah... naruto craps all over both of them as bleach + one piece combined doesn't touch naruto numbers at my cons.

Thats pure anecdotal evidence but yeah Naruto is the biggest one in NA

nah... it's not that complicated.

really the big three where just the big three series that were coming out of japan that most americans knew.
they were known to be supporting shonen jump and seemed like they would never end.

that's it as far as I know. they were just the never ending shonen shows which were still airing that everyone knew as anime became more available in the NA. in regards to the big three I really don't think japan matters to much otherwise I would imagine detective conan would have been included (though I don't think conan is a SJ series but still) as it has almost always gotten better ratings than bleach or naruto.

Aha

first off you know as well as I do that disk sales don't mean much in regards to commercial success. Anime companies don't give a crap about disk sales in general they care about how the rest of the merch sells. (granted series that have better disk sales tend to have better merch sales as well)

It's true that disc sales matter less today than they did a few years ago due to shifting market trends that prioritize online streaming over physical releases. Still, they're not unimportant and can be a sign of popularity in the Japanese market. While we have weekly numbers for disc sales in Japan, numbers for merchandise sales or streaming revenue or overseas licensing are harder to come by and thus require more speculation. But I have a hard time imagining that Yuri on Ice did poorly in any of those departments.

second off... that seems really really unlikely.

I can't imagine full metal alchemist which had what 64 episodes and thus should have had 5 times the number of disks released has lower life time total disk sales than yuri on ice.

or sword art online with it's 52 episodes ect.

have any actual numbers to back up this claim?

I mean if you are talking strictly the first volume sales that might be possible, but there is no way in hell a series that released less than a year ago has more total lifetime sales than something like FMA. Especially since yuri on ice hasn't actually released on DVD outside of japan that I know of yet.

I was using per-volume average sales, helpfully cataloged on this website. Obviously longer anime series will release more volumes of discs, but you have to remember it'll also cost more to produce more episodes and print more volumes.

beyond all of that, if you are trying to argue strictly for the japanese market just stop.

the big three is clearly in regards to the world wide market and not just japan. and thus we would be talking about worldwide success not just japan.

I think the results of the Crunchyroll Awards show that Yuri on Ice is considerably popular worldwide, not just in Japan. I'm not even a fan of Yuri on Ice; I'm just trying to draw reasonable conclusions based on the available evidence. As others have pointed out, the "Big Three" is a concept that's based more in US anime fandom as centered around the Toonami brand than anything else.

zulux21

Even if it was at one point (it certainly was a decade or so ago) not anymore.

Thats pure anecdotal evidence but yeah Naruto is the biggest one in NA

oh I won't deny at all it's anecdotal evidence :p

I am also just stressing NA because I know one piece at least started taking off in EU.

Sadly one piece will likely go back to falling in NA since toei decided to remove it from adult swim.

I always thought the big 3 was less about sells and more about the impact they had on the international market.

either way they also had to be still airing. otherwise dbz would have had to be included.
and beyond that had to be part of shonen jump otherwise pokemon likely would have been included.

Fate/Zero 19

AVh4zWq.jpg

Enemy UAV online

Hey I actually liked this episode quite a bit. Kiritsugu crying at the end looked terrible tho, watching these character designs try and express any emotion besides pure neutrality is a trip

zulux21

I still consider it the best deal in streaming. Very cheap for what it offers.

anime streaming maybe. (though crunchy is likely the better deal if you don't like dubs :p)

netflix still is a way better deal in general streaming :p

that being said I am still surprised people don't account share more with funimation since they allow it like netflix does.

Cornbread78

Ben-to ep.6
Well, that was a really brutal battle. That Monarch leader is a real piece of shit and I'm sure that wasn't the last of him.

I always thought the big 3 was less about sells and more about the impact they had on the international market.

In a sense yeah. At their peak, they were Called the Big 3 because they were the three most popular series currently running at the time in Shonen Jump. Commercially, the cap between One Piece and the other two in Japan was still pretty massive. Same thing in America, only with Naruto outselling the other two by a country mile instead.

As for the most "popular" post-Big 3 anime. In the West it would AOT, SAO, and OPM. With Yuri on Ice maybe being the fourth pillar.

anime streaming maybe. (though crunchy is likely the better deal if you don't like dubs :p)

netflix still is a way better deal in general streaming :p

that being said I am still surprised people don't account share more with funimation since they allow it like netflix does.

netflix removes stuff too often, especially anime.

KraytarJ

Scum's Wish END
A great and mature way to end the series with each character growing and finding a new path rather than relying on what's easy and what they want in the moment, though really it was basically a bonus episode because the hero already got her happy ending last week. All told Scum's Wish is easily top 2 of the season.

Clov

Sentai picked up Atom the Beginning and something called Frame Arms Girl. I'm sure they have a few more they managed to snatch up, but which ones?

Atom will be on Anime Strike exclusively, so it looks like Sentai is pretty cozy with Amazon now.

Sentai picked up Atom the Beginning and something called Frame Arms Girl. I'm sure they have a few more they managed to snatch up, but which ones?

Atom will be on Anime Strike exclusively, so it looks like Sentai is pretty cozy with Amazon now.

Yeah I think that confirms it. Between that and them getting all of Sentai's latest dubs, there's definitely a partnership there.

zulux21

they got the girls in the dungeon spin off which will also be on anime strike.

Yeah I think that confirms it. Between that and them getting all of Sentai's latest dubs, there's definitely a partnership there.

but frame girls isn't going to be on anime strike.
so it might not be a full blown partnership but a case by case basis which is just leading to most of their stuff being gotten right now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's funny how everyone on this and the previous page have been in denial and can't face to type the truth that Love Live is the current number one anime property in the West.

[Source]

Acca - 12 [End]

Fairly fitting low key ending for the show. It stayed true to itself til the end on that front, and I kinda want to commend it for sticking with it.

Acca worked well for me as a weekly thing. I actually find myself a bit surprised I stuck with it to the end with the very slow pacing and excessive cast, considering the amount of shows I've dropped this season.
The particular character design felt like a breath of fresh air to me which probably played a big factor in me staying. Bass is my jam so pleasantly surprised by the soundtrack. Oh and Aoi Yuuki as Lotta wanting to consume pan in all its forms also helps.

In the end I leave content. Nothing more, nothing less.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Thread title is bad duckroll please change it to something passive aggressive

Just finished My Hero Academia.

- Great pacing.
- Notably good soundtrack.
- Some excellent characterization for such a short series - I especially liked Tsu.

-
I did not like the bubble-head kid whatsoever (Midori?), I didn't like how his "thing" is perving on girls whilst his costume resembles something like a baby in diapers. Felt really unecessary.
-
Surprised by how high stakes yet how small-scale the battle at the end was (and how many episodes they dedicated to it).
-
Nice that it didn't completely follow Shounen structure to a tee, I wasn't predicting the very next episode - even thought All Might might kick the bucket.
-
Liked the tease of more heroes in the last episode with interesting powers.
-
Liked how much they fit in to about two weeks (and technically 9 months) of the characters' lives, leaving the series so open-ended.

I'm looking forward to them exploring more of the characters in the class as I felt some were barely explained whilst remaining to receive a fair bit of screen-time.

- Great pacing.
- Some excellent characterization for such a short series - I especially liked Tsu.

-
I did not like the bubble-head kid whatsoever (Midori?), I didn't like how his "thing" is perving on girls whilst his costume resembles something like a baby in diapers. Felt really unecessary.
-
Surprised by how high stakes yet how small-scale the battle at the end was (and how many episodes they dedicated to it).
-
Nice that it didn't completely follow Shounen structure to a tee, I wasn't predicting the very next episode - even thought All Might might kick the bucket.
-
-
Liked how much they fit in to about two weeks (and technically 9 months) of the characters' lives, leaving the series so open-ended.

I'm looking forward to them exploring more of the characters in the class as I felt some were barely explained whilst remaining to receive a fair bit of screen-time.
YEEEEAAA glad you liked it! Every character is so damn good!
ac253b517447e662ac1959140df4e4a8.gif

If you don't know the next season starts Saturday and it's going to be so god damn amazing!

Beyblade Burst Episode 9: Wyvron in the Way! (engDub)

Some of the lines are awesome, especially the guy Shu beat (Ive got fans too, online) and then Honcho saying BFFs or Wakiya with the Token Gold Star for Showing Up.

Best Shu.
C8M_8RDXoAARDvO.jpg:small

Aki-at

First of all, Happy B-Day! Second of all, go marathon Eccentric Family!

Thanks man but only a weeb would watch it on such a day... Which I did haha.

Eccentric Family - 1

Another series that I've been keen to watch and I thought with season 2 starting so soon this was the perfect time to jump on board the series. Seems like a quirky little series with some nice visuals (Although the use of 3d pedestrians bothered me more so for that reason probably) quite intrigued to see where this is going.

Also side note, I thought the way the ears were drawn was to show us the audience as visual cue who was human and who were the spirits but seems it was just the style the ears were drawn haha.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also side note, I thought the way the ears were drawn was to show us the audience as visual cue who was human and who were the spirits but seems it was just the style the ears were drawn haha.
The character designer is Kumeta of SZS fame.

Chase17

- Great pacing.

-
-
-
-
-

Yeah Mineta is definitely one of my least favorite of the class. Luckiy the rest are pretty solid and should get some more time in S2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom