• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Well, Hyouka as a show is pretty mellow, and it DOES have some drama at times, so... :p

Drama and contrived situations is not melodrama though. Melodrama is when misunderstandings and character conflicts become the central driving force of a narrative and the audience is expected to be engaged in the drama itself. Hyouka is the complete opposite of that. No matter what nonsense Oreki is dragged into and what misunderstandings there are, he just doesn't give a crap and as a consequence the audience is told indirectly that they don't have to give a crap. Hyouka is pretty much anti-melodrama.

Drama and contrived situations is not melodrama though. Melodrama is when misunderstandings and character conflicts become the central driving force of a narrative and the audience is expected to be engaged in the drama itself. Hyouka is the complete opposite of that. No matter what nonsense Oreki is dragged into and what misunderstandings there are, he just doesn't give a crap and as a consequence the audience is told indirectly that they don't have to give a crap. Hyouka is pretty much anti-melodrama.

Joke

Head

jman2050

Melodrama gets a bad rap. I mean who hasn't wanted to scream at the top of their lungs and sob uncontrollably while cursing the very nature of existence after stubbing their toe on the door but refrained from doing so cause they know it makes them look sad and pathetic?

Melodramatic works allow us to indulge in this impulse vicariously!

Tamako Market spoiler, I guess.

Tamako's escape after being confessed to is more melodramatic than anything Hyouka has to offer. It's a simple confession but mochi-head has to make a dramatic run for it.

Qurupeke

Melodrama gets a bad rap. I mean who hasn't wanted to scream at the top of their lungs and sob uncontrollably while cursing the very nature of existence after stubbing their toe on the door but refrained from doing so cause they know it makes them look sad and pathetic?

Melodramatic works allow us to indulge in this impulse vicariously!

People like being melodramatic over melodrama on their shows.

Cornbread78

Tamako Market spoiler, I guess.

Tamako's escape after being confessed to is more melodramatic than anything Hyouka has to offer. It's a simple confession but mochi-head has to make a dramatic run for it.

Well, she was scared to be a big girl and deal with things changing in her life and with those around her...

jbug617

Banned
Also, Ishida's two friends: we see one working on a food stand and he apparently was there to help after the fall, but the chubby one just disappears forever. What was his story? Perhaps he was the silent voice all along.

Manga spoilers

He shows up at the end at the Coming of Age ceremony. He doesn't say anything but you see him with his wife and child.

Drama and contrived situations is not melodrama though. Melodrama is when misunderstandings and character conflicts become the central driving force of a narrative and the audience is expected to be engaged in the drama itself.

First time I've seen that definition.First hit in google:

A melodrama is a drama characterized by exaggeration and sensationalism. The acting style appropriate to a drama is realistic, whereas the acting in a melodrama is bombastic or excessively sentimental.

Movies known as “tear-jerkers” are melodramas.

Which is the definition I've always used.

Ascheroth

Personally I prefer melondrama.
FERiosa.jpg

duckroll

First time I've seen that definition.First hit in google:

Which is the definition I've always used.

I described that really, really, really poorly. The intent behind it was basically to say that it's not melodrama if "dramatic" stuff happens but everyone is just chill about it, instead of arguing and pulling their hair out and screaming at each other or crying and by that device forcing such emotions upon the viewer as well.

I thought Your Name was good, but not the masterpiece everyone in Japan made me want to believe. Personally, I preferred A Silent Voice more over Your Name, maybe due to the themes at play and the fact that it was more grounded in reality? That being said I think these two were excellent movies. BLAME! too was phenomenal, but that one you can't really compare with the other two, it'd be like apples and oranges. It's nice, I've got watched more movies in 5 months than I have in previous single years, and they were all great.

duckroll

I thought Your Name was good, but not the masterpiece everyone in Japan made me want to believe.

Is that really an accurate picture of how it was described though? I feel that most of the impressions for the film is that a) it's good, b) it's very popular. And the success of the film comes from people wanting to go watch it again and again because it has that emotional relationship hook. Just like Titanic I guess. I honestly cannot remember anyone in this thread, or any credible Japanese reviews or impressions on the internet, that actually said it was some amazing masterpiece. People generally liked it and were surprised that it kept making more and more and more money. That's where all the hype and excitement was at from what I recall - the commercial success of the film.

I thought Your Name was good, but not the masterpiece everyone in Japan made me want to believe. Personally, I preferred A Silent Voice more over Your Name, maybe due to the themes at play and the fact that it was more grounded in reality? That being said I think these two were excellent movies. BLAME! too was phenomenal, but that one you can't really compare with the other two, it'd be like apples and oranges. It's nice, I've got watched more movies in 5 months than I have in previous single years, and they were all great.

I saw a good analogy: Your Name is a top 10 pop song, while A Silent Voice is an art film. They're both well-made for what they are, but A Silent Voice is a considerably deeper film.

Is that really an accurate picture of how it was described though? I feel that most of the impressions for the film is that a) it's good, b) it's very popular. And the success of the film comes from people wanting to go watch it again and again because it has that emotional relationship hook. Just like Titanic I guess. I honestly cannot remember anyone in this thread, or any credible Japanese reviews or impressions on the internet, that actually said it was some amazing masterpiece. People generally liked it and were surprised that it kept making more and more and more money. That's where all the hype and excitement was at from what I recall - the commercial success of the film.

I wouldn't necessarily call it an "amazing masterpiece", but I was rather impressed by the level of craftsmanship shown throughout the film, especially against the backdrop of all of Shinkai's prior works.

duckroll

I feel it's kinda disingenuous to call Your Name a "pop song" and A Silent Voice an "art film". That just seems really pretentious and the comparison is faulty, given how A Silent Voice is an adaptation of a manga which already has a fanbase, and Your Name is an original work. They're both commercial products which capitalize on popular art styles.

A better comparison would be - Your Name is Avatar, and A Silent Voice is some overrated Christopher Nolan movie. :)

~art~

i'm not really brushing off the subject matter....
Realistically speaking if something wants to target suicide as a topic it needs to include a few different aspects of the idea that Koe no Katachi approaches but mostly overlooks. What is the concept of mortality? What does it mean when someone leaves your life? There's some kind of set up for this with the grandma but there is no reflection, which could be said about everything in the movie. It never reflects on any thought because there is nothing going on. What do the main characters think of the concept of death?

There are so many missing connectors that the story is just a complete mess. Shouya never even shares his brush with suicide with Shouko. This is what the show pushes as a bond between these characters but only on the most superficial level as the characters do not actually use these events to bond. Instead suicide is kind of just used as a tool to heighten the intensity of the material. It's cheap and emotionally brash and unsophisticated. And what does it ultimately build to? Cheap soap opera iconography with characters waking up from comas to rip out their IVs, fleeing from the hospital in the middle of the night wearing nothing but their nightgown for a chance meeting on a moonlit bridge. There is no real resolution to these thoughts of suicide or social isolation either. They just kind of come to an end because the movie is out of time and the story doesn't know how to draw that resolution bounced between characters or internally.

You'd think the movie could do more with sound but no...there's pretty much nothing going on there either. I don't even know that the story handles the aspect of deafness with any particularly adept hand either. I'm hesitant to say that it's actually offensive, but really the parallels drawn between the bullying Shouya and Shouko faced was pretty disgusting. Again...there's no real perspective offered here on how disability can create challenges with interacting with society, instead it's just a very simple thought about how terrible bullying is, with a charged message for young boys that it could happen to anyone.

Going to respond to each paragraph individually...

If that theme was the sole focus of the movie then I would agree with you. However, suicide is not the main focus of the movie. It is a goal two characters came to as a means of "resolving" issues and burdens they feel like they are placing on other people. Not everyone who attempts or contemplates suicide don't go through all those questions or necessarily addresses any of those questions. There are many points in the movie where a character sees death and their suicide as a means of lifting the burden off others. Do you want a person who contemplates that to have more reason than that? Absolutely. But as someone who did a long time ago contemplated the same things these characters thought, it was personal and made sense for the character to think the way they did.

The whole discussion on the bridge he tells her about his brush with suicide. He tells her that he went through the same thoughts as she did and attempted the same thing. The whole "I want you to help me live" part was him admitting he is still struggling with it still and that they together can help each other lift themselves from this place they are at. And the movie at the very end of it shows Ishida opening up to others and getting over his social anxiety to finally look up and see the world. Hence, the whole last scene of the movie.

I don't really know how to respond to your last paragraph other than I feel the complete opposite. The movie, pretty directly, addresses the hardships Shouko faced do to her disability. How see couldn't connect with people due to her disability, her inability to understand certain events due to her disability and, yes, the bullying due to the disability. The movie does this in subtle and heavy-handed ways.

Water is wet, sky is blue, dimb doesn't like thing. Natural order of the universe, best get used to it.

With that said,

A Silent Voice

I'm not sure how to feel about this. It's well directed, very visually nice to look at and animated well. KyoAni adapted the material pretty faithfully while managing to excise and condense what was needed to fit the movie format. It was nice to see some of my favorite scenes animated. Of course, the original story is flawed in some respects and that is still reflected in this adaptation, though I felt KyoAni did manage to minimize or remove some of the more egregious missteps.

My problem is there's no real flow to the story, for lack of a better description. The first 20 or so minutes that serves as the introduction is perfectly fine, and in fact I'd argue is the best part of the movie. But after that it seems like the production really struggled with the time constraints. The themes being dealt with in the story are pretty heavy and not easily digestible, especially considering how the author refused to directly cast judgment on any of the major events, instead forcing the reader to do it themselves. It works well enough in print, but in the movie I don't think the characters and the events surrounding them were given enough room to breath. I don't even know if it's possible to do it given the time constraints.

To put forth an example,
Nishimiya's attempted suicide doesn't really have the impact it needs in the movie. I could go on for a long time about this, but I supposed the tldr version is that in the movie the whole suicide attempt just feels like another event in sequence. There's no time to reflect on the suddenness of what happened or re-evaluate Nishimiya's actions in light of the revelation that she was suicidal years before any of this and her family knew it. Nor is any time allotted to give the viewer the opportunity to really get inside Nishimiya's head and see her true wants and desires in the aftermath. Instead, Nishimiya attempts suicide, we see some crying and apologizing and then it's straight to Ueno being a bitch, Nishimiya trying to make up with the group and then things start barreling towards the conclusion which, to the movie's credit, is a much more concise ending than the sort of aimless meandering that was the end of the manga.
I don't know, it's hard to explain in words. It's like the difference between reading a book and reading a well-written summary/school report about the book, but at the same time I think that's being too hard on the movie overall.

So I think I kinda liked it and kinda didn't? Maybe leaning more towards the liked it side? It's certainly no Disappearance, that much I know for sure!

I'm not going to brush him off, though. I think we can have a pretty cool discussion on the movie. Despite what he or I think of it. :)

I think that is a perfectly fine way to tell the story. The author doesn't need to judge the characters as the audience should be perfectly capable of doing that themselves.
And it is easy to come to the conclusion that anyone who bullied is not a good person. The consequences of Ishida's actions when he was a kid he saw immediately. His mother withdrew a large amount of money to give to Nishimia's mother and his mom took injuries for Ishida (her earring being ripped out and blood going down her sweater). He knows the consequences of his actions in that moment. Not every character had the room to breathe. I'll concede that. But the characters who mattered were given the necessary time to develop them and the story at hand.

"Instead, Nishimiya attempts suicide, we see some crying and apologizing and then it's straight to Ueno being a bitch"

I feel this is a bit disingenuous, as I feel this skips some events that happen between these two scenes. I don't think drawing out the hurt would help. I thought there was plenty of time and information for everyone to pick up and digest. At least, I think so.

Koe no Katachi

Those ~20 minutes of bullying at the beginning were excellent and really hard to sit through. The homeroom teacher who couldn't be bothered to make a concerted effort in integrating Shouko nicely into the class was ultimately the catalyst for other students to eventually feel inconvenienced by Shouko, starting with Naoka, and the bullying not being stopped in its tracks. What followed then was a cruel 'kids being kids' sort of situation that was extremely unpleasant, in part because it felt realistic. Shouya's comeuppance was handled in a strong fashion, too, when the teacher called him out as the obvious culprit while slamming his fist on the board. I also liked that Shouya began to understand some of his actions when the costly hearing aids were brought up and he made the connection to his mother's rather low wage job.

I really loved that 'opener' and was very curious about where this would be heading. During all that bullying I was surprised by Shouko's unusually high resilience to her tormentors. I was looking forward to exploring how she got to be that way. Like, holy shit, she went through so much without ever breaking down (as far as we see). It's only when Shouya aggressively assaults her for cleaning his desk that she even fights back for once. Did her parents teach her early on that she'll have a toughen up due to her disability? Surely she actually really hates Shouya and co. but puts up a facade out of desperation as she has no other options really? Is she extremely afraid of being even more isolated if she brushes everyone off and fails make friends? Does she hate herself and think she deserves the dire treatment to a degree? Does she hate herself for seemingly failing to manage life with her disability? Now that it all went to hell, how will she cope? How does she change until they meet again?

So much potential with not just her character but most of the children. Yet, what followed afterwards felt like the cramped adaptation of a mediocre drama manga that it probably is. Instead of exploring some characters in depth we get to float on the surface level of many. The film never delivered the deeper justifications for Shouyo's behavior I was so curious about. Apparently she mostly is just a really nice girl that genuinely apologizes to and wants to be friends with people that tormented her daily for weeks on end. Okay, I guess? She barely seems to have any development either. After becoming friends with Shouya we get a very basic "I want to kill myself because you're better off without me" story. That angle fell completely flat to me since that newer problem only existed because Naoka continued to be an extremely toxic piece of shit, which in itself was disappointing. Her character had some depth at the very beginning when she shifted from friend to foe and you as the viewer actually understood how that came to be. Naoka overtly causing drama by being a huge asshole just wasn't interesting, really.

Most of the better scenes actually involve family members from Shouya and Shoko. Yuzuru was inherently interesting as the little sister of a severely bullied deaf girl. And so was their mother. Those tense encounters between her and her daughter's bully, now that's some good stuff.

Suicide as a storytelling mechanism is actually quite appropriate in this sort of story but unfortunately it was used rather cheaply here. I can't believe it actually lead to a last second save into reverse plunge, followed by a coma and what is there even to say to the ridiculous sequence regarding his waking up and onward. That's just not good writing. The one scene that really did work well was Shoko's mother and sister begging for forgiveness towards Shouya's mother. That made me cry even though most of the preceding and following scenes were just stupidly over the top. Naoka assaulting Shouko and getting into a slap fight with her mother afterwards? Like, what? Or that she's holding the door of Shouya's hospital room shut?

So yeh, ended up really disappointed by the largely weak characterization and plot.

As far as direction goes, I don't think I'm ever going to be a fan of Yamada if she continues with her shitty lens effects. That abundance of chromatic aberration and blur is hideous. It's not even just certain perspectives or point of views, it's almost everywhere. Those too on the nose symbolic blue X were terrible. They would've been fine for a single scene but were unfortunately used throughout the rest of the film, even serving for a very cliché ending.

I quoted this because I wanted to respond but now I am realizing that it would take a while to formulate a competent response.

I guess the only part I'll address right now and return to the rest later is the teacher.
I actually didn't like the teacher. He saw all of the bullying go down. (maybe not the cruelest of it all but he got a good jist of it) And yet he calls out others for being complacent and the worst when he himself did nothing until she left.

Out of all the characters I think he was the worst.
He was the adult that should of prevented it all but he was complacent with it instead. That is until he has to address it when Nishimia's mom goes to the school.

Edit: So, they actually address some of the things you bring up in the movie.
On the Ferris Wheel with Nao, Shoko admits she hates herself and her inability to fully understand others due to her disability only deepens that feeling she has. As for the suffering she went through, there are quick flashes in the movie that show how she was when she got home. She put up a brave face at school in an attempt to make friends but it only ended up pushing people away. :/

Also I spoilers most of your post because it basically spoils the movie...

So the general opinion of A Silent Voice in here appears to be to just go watch the second ZZ Gundam opening again.

No. Stahp.

They were all pieces of $hit in there own way, which made it almost worse. Kawai just tried to play the innocent act, but she was clearly an enabler. I love it when Ishida called her sorry a$$ out on the bridge for it!

Ueno was just rotten to the core. She does not get a pass for being "honest with her feeling" when she was
In on the bullying, and even later once the were grown up, was still acting like a complete bit(h up to beating Nishimiya up when she was injured.
She was truly a piece of crap and should continue to be called out for being a piece of trash....

Nagatsuka and Satoshi were really the only decent people in the entire show outside of the mothers.

I guess my biggest fault for the story and how they skipped out on the development for Nishimiya. They could have carried the story with just showing how Ishida and Nishimiya were dealing with their inner demons, which was the backdrop for the entire show as we find out. Some powerful scenes in there.

I mean, they started to go in a direction with this scene:

eUjExYH.gif

then abandoned that completely from that point forward and never re-examine it. You would think that they would touch base with it towards the end, but they never actually went there. I was almost expecting the sign language to be different in the final scene between them but nope....

Probably, the most powerful scene in the movie was the final scene between Ishida and Nishimiya as elementary school classmates when they
got into a fight in the empty classroom. I was very uncomfortable during that scene watching the two of them go at it, Nishimiya almost looked to be fighting for her life during the whole thing, while Ishida just kept blaming her for being aggressive, like WTF... I had to stop watching for a second when is was over. It was a VERY powerful scene...

Additionally, On the residing issue for the story:
Why
did they never discuss the suicide attempts by Ishida after the fact? Why did he never share his experiences with Nishimiya? Even after it was over, they never talked about it. Huge story gap there.

Almost felt like NHK for a moment....

It's very much worth your time....

Agreed on most of this. (sorry for not going deep dive into this like other posts. Starting to lose momentum...)

I tried to address the
whole incident on the bridge and the suicide attempt
in posts above so I hope you agree... :)

Actually that scene is one of the things that sets up the situation later in the movie and
they do return to it on the bridge towards the end. Ishida, in a roundabout way, asked her to stay with him.

The only thing in the movie that was lost on me was the motion of Nishimia transitioning her sign language from "friends" to overlapping her two pinkies. The movie did a good job at helping me pick up what characters were saying in sign language do to the repetitiveness of certain signs. That is the only one lost on me but I understood it was a profound gesture.

Hyouka? Melodrama? Are you sure we watched the same show.

In the way I look at things, melodramatic is being overdramatic or overly exaggerating a certain event. This is in my mind different from being dramatic, which is characters simply reacting to a situation with plausable reactuions.

I generally thing "melodrama" is overused in anime discussions as a way to dismiss a show or anything one might find "too dramatic" for them.

Hyouka does have characters that overreact to stories or situations that really have no bearing on them. And yet, it is subtle with its character progressions and interactions. Its actually a cool duality the show does that makes me really fascinated with it.

But he's directed the top 3 shows KyoAni has ever made!

Mike knows what is up. :p

This is basically my stance on it too. Both were great movies, I just happen to like A Silent Voice (The Shape of Voice?) more because I was able to connect with it more due to my own history in school.

I saw a good analogy: Your Name is a top 10 pop song, while A Silent Voice is an art film. They're both well-made for what they are, but A Silent Voice is a considerably deeper film.

I wouldn't necessarily call it an "amazing masterpiece", but I was rather impressed by the level of craftsmanship shown throughout the film, especially against the backdrop of all of Shinkai's prior works.

Agreed. On both counts.

I feel it's kinda disingenuous to call Your Name a "pop song" and A Silent Voice an "art film". That just seems really pretentious and the comparison is faulty, given how A Silent Voice is an adaptation of a manga which already has a fanbase, and Your Name is an original work. They're both commercial products which capitalize on popular art styles.

A better comparison would be - Your Name is Avatar, and A Silent Voice is some overrated Christopher Nolan movie. :)

~art~

You take that back, good sir!

there are some mistakes, episode 5 of Armed Girl's Machiavellism is not on it while 6 and 7 are

and episode 6 of Sword Oratoria: Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side is missing the subtitle track
Did you write to them about it? Either way I'll binge through Kabukibu tonight.

Ehhh I remember plenty of hyperbolic stuff popping up at the time, calling it the best anime movie of all time and whatnot. Whether this was a product of hype or not, I don't know, and none of this came from this thread mind you. It was like I said, stuff on the Twitters and blogs and whatnot coming from Japan when this first came out.

I agree with this yeah. And FINALLY KyoAni gave me something that I really, really enjoyed just like Hyouka. Sure the two aren't exactly the same medium, but I have always found their output since that show to not resonate with me as much as that one did. They fucking nailed it with this. Euphonium tried I guess, but ultimately didn't quite get there for me.

Cornbread78

Agreed on most of this. (sorry for not going deep dive into this like other posts. Starting to lose momentum...)

I tried to address the
whole incident on the bridge and the suicide attempt
in posts above so I hope you agree... :)

Actually that scene is one of the things that sets up the situation later in the movie and
they do return to it on the bridge towards the end. Ishida, in a roundabout way, asked her to stay with him.

The only thing in the movie that was lost on me was the motion of Nishimia transitioning her sign language from "friends" to overlapping her two pinkies. The movie did a good job at helping me pick up what characters were saying in sign language do to the repetitiveness of certain signs. That is the only one lost on me but I understood it was a profound gesture.

That little nuance in sign language makes a big difference in that bridge scene then. He did say that he "just said something really embarrassing," but unless you know sign language, it's impossible to fully grasp what was being said there past your own explanation. Does the Manga go further into this?

Some of the subtle symbolism in this movie was amazing, I'll just say that....

~art~

We've gone over this before, but I can't share your view of anime directors as being all a bunch of cynical hucksters who only have eyes on commercial success. Besides, neither Your Name nor A Silent Voice are as bad as Avatar or the bad Nolan films.

Cornbread78

Oh, I just found the scene from the movie that disturbed me the most. I was actually legit shook after this scene...

Don't ask what language that is, I have no idea, I found this in Google....

yriGBij.jpg

This sequence of events was powerful.... very powerful and disturbing at the same time,

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Because Takemoto would never let him direct something that obvious. I'm not saying this to troll, but I think Takemoto has a nuance that Yamada lacks. She is expressive in different ways and that helps a lot when a story requires a certain dynamic, especially an eventual cathartic release. But I've never seen Yamada direct something just just allows the audience to get as much out of a piece as they decide to put effort into appreciating. I feel that way about both Fumoffu and Hyouka.

I agree about this with Hyouka at least. It's probably the most subtle of the Kyoani shows that I've seen, with K-On S2 perhaps being a distant second.

That little nuance in sign language makes a big difference in that bridge scene then. He did say that he "just said something really embarrassing," but unless you know sign language, it's impossible to fully grasp what was being said there past your own explanation. Does the Manga go further into this?

Some of the subtle symbolism in this movie was amazing, I'll just say that....

Looking at the characters facial expressions, one can already infer what was said.

Yeah the symbolism was fantastic in the movie. One of the more overt scenes was the one where they went on their little "date" after the grandmother died and yet as the date went on they both were getting farther and farther away from each other.

Oh, I just found the scene from the movie that disturbed me the most. I was actually legit shook after this scene...

Don't ask what language that is, I have no idea, I found this in Google....

yriGBij.jpg

This sequence of events was powerful.... very powerful and disturbing at the same time,

It made me uncomfortable and I appreciate it for that. It should make someone feel shocked and uncomfortable.
And at the end of it realize that she was doing something incredibly kind for him do to her thinking he erased the blackboard for her that said something mean. So she returned the favor.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Would've liked to get some more insight from the film in regards to the deaf 'community' within Japan but alas, I got basically nothing of the sort.
I saw this on youtube recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xycecbwpIzE&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKrLQDNuMpI&t=103s

It focuses on people who need to use wheelchairs in Japan, but there seems to be decent support and services if one were to assume that everyone has the same type of coverage.

Jarmel

Banned
Because Takemoto would never let him direct something that obvious. I'm not saying this to troll, but I think Takemoto has a nuance that Yamada lacks. She is expressive in different ways and that helps a lot when a story requires a certain dynamic, especially an eventual cathartic release. But I've never seen Yamada direct something just just allows the audience to get as much out of a piece as they decide to put effort into appreciating. I feel that way about both Fumoffu and Hyouka.

I somewhat agree with this. Silent Voice has the subtlety of a sledgehammer hitting you dead in the face. Now there's nothing wrong with that but Takemoto doesn't tend to 'exaggerate' as much as Yamada. There's a lot of scenes in Fumoffu for example that are really subtle or quiet moments but they tend to flesh out the characters. I was actually watching the mecha stuff in TSR and there's a number of small character animations that relay the emotions of Sousuke in that moment. Takemoto can go heavy handed too but he's much more of a grounded director than Yamada, it's just that he has more surreal source material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom