• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sprites that look like things they're not supposed to

MrBadger

So I just came across this post on Reddit pointing out that the trees in Pokemon look like angry men flexing and I'm not sure I'll be able to unsee it

F1fUlTt.jpg

Are there any sprites that you completely misinterpreted, or that look like completely different things if you look at them in a different way?

I want a thread like this for icons in (Blizzard) RTS' and (MMO)RPG's. Still so man icons, after all these years I still don't know wtf they're supposed to be.

lazygecko

The peon portrait in Warcraft 2 threw me off for years. Probably due to his right eye just barely being visible so I hardly even noticed it.

peonkyuua.png

His left ear looked like his left eye and that he was winking or something. The left cheek was some kind of beak and the tusk his smiling mouth.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Not a sprite, but a related example most of us should be familiar with:

Basiliskeyes.jpg

Those orange things are not the eyes.

ike_

My childhood brain had the hardest time comprehending what I was seeing in FF4 Rosa's looking down animation.

hyKODXX.gif

It looked to me like her eyes turned into big square white boxes and she put an arm between her legs and slumped down to the floor. Still the first thing I see whenever it happens.

Azure J

Pokemon Red/Blue sprites. Funnily enough, while a few of the sprites you see for wild Pokemon are already bad, the back sprites (for Pokemon you yourself are sending into battle) are positively horribad.

Bellsprout, Marowak, Jynx, Flareon and Aricuno always stood out as being particularly wonky.

In chrono trigger, I used to think these frog creatures had a really big nose and the dark spot was their eyes. The "nose" was actually their tongue and dark spot a mouth.
TPole_Sprites.png

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
TYHRxSa.png

(Link's death sprite from the GBC Zeldas)
That sprite confused me for years. I thought Link got a bowler hat and sat down all depressed with his arms in front.
I still don't know what it's supposed to represent.

latest

I always thought the cavemen in Spelunky were Luchadors until someone corrected me. Not sure why a Luchador would be down there, always thought it was weird but I just went with it.

Jawmuncher

hqdefault.jpg

Not a sprite but your guess is as good as more. I'm assuming they're mushrooms or worms, but we all know what they look like. Doesn't help they go in and out and poke Charlie in the butt if he stands on them.

BouncyFrag

You know what this is asking for:
Pro_Wrestling_nes_screenshot.png

Hotness.
(NES Pro Wrestling)
Hells ya! I mained Starman back in the day.

Edit: and by 'mained' i mean that I only used him so I could spam that torso kick flip move he had and sucked with the other wrestlers.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So I just came across this post on Reddit pointing out that the trees in Pokemon look like angry men flexing and I'm not sure I'll be able to unsee it

F1fUlTt.jpg

Are there any sprites that you completely misinterpreted, or that look like completely different things if you look at them in a different way?

Looks like Baby Bowser..

Horp

Meet_shotguy.png

When I first saw this game I had no concept of what an FPS was. I saw the pistol as a helmet and the hand as a brown cape or leather jacket. Thought it was a TPS, without knowing the term. When I picked up the shotgun I was suprised that the character changed so much. Must be a backpack for ammo or something, I thought. Then I fired it, and there was the pump action motion. I was shocked and really had no idea of what was going on..

Ziffles

supermariorpg_macktheknife_sheet.png

I always looked at it as a sword with eyes, until I noticed the guy glasses and the "eyes" are actually his hands.

It's both:

Mack.gif

He's holding onto it like a pogo stick. Oh and it's Mack.

The sword still has evil eyes though. Your childhood is not ruined.

Giever

supermariorpg_macktheknife_sheet.png

I always looked at it as a sword with eyes, until I noticed the guy glasses and the "eyes" are actually his hands.

Okay, this one got me. It's still difficult to see the arms as anything other than eyes.

EDIT: Well now I don't know what to think

TYHRxSa.png

(Link's death sprite from the GBC Zeldas)
That sprite confused me for years. I thought Link got a bowler hat and sat down all depressed with his arms in front.
I still don't know what it's supposed to represent.
He's collapsed into a sort of sitting position. Pardon the terrible diagram.

Ldg3OMA.png

Top Bottom