• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy - reviews, discussion

Spyro best selling title was the first game.

It's also much easier and kid friendly then crash. Making it more accessible. This will give Spyro trilogy higher review scores by default. As Crash was 90's old school precision platforming and people aren't used to that now.

Also I'll be surprised if Spyro has an LTD of over 3 million.

As I said, Spyros best selling game was the first game. Despite three good PSX games Spyro had one bad game, enter the dragonfly, and it almost killed the franchise. The GBA games had barely saved it. Which led to the uh, reboot trilogy.

Also Spyro after Spyro 2 wasn't released in a slew of countries. Japan only got like 3 games.

Gex had absolutely horrid controls and cameras......Croc however, I don't know why this game did not get more love, it was an amazing looking game too, probably one of the best looking platformers back then....

Gex 2 had Mario 64 controls but faster at a higher fps.

Croc? You mean Croc 2? Yeah it had a good camera. Not the first one though I'm.

Historically, Crash was always far more popular and the remake was always going to appeal to the nostalgia of more people, marketing be damned. I still think this will do just fine, but don't expect the same crazy figures.

As I said above people forget how fast Spyro cratered. It also fell behind Gex in sales after the first game.

Crash woc still sold well despite it just being crash 3 again, and the PS2 versions long load times. Nitro kart was good, Twin sanity and the GBA games are favorites.

Spyro basically never recovered after Spyro 4. Not just a fire hazard anymore indeed.

Only reason I will avoid this remake trilogy, is because it is impossible to possess on disc. A single player game that can be yanked away from you at any moment isn't worth paying money for, most of the install has to be downloaded from console servers, one day these download servers will cease to exist. Some day I might want my growing kids to experience this remake, well it ain't happening at this rate.

Until this changes, I will continue to keep memories of the original PSX trilogy fondly in my mind and pretend this remake doesn't exist because quite frankly in 15-20 years it won't exist outside of some kind of online re-release service and that disc will become a coaster.

Last edited:
So can someone elaborate more on what an "Incomplete" game disc is for me? I specifically ask because I love buying used hard copy games (discs) for cheap months to years down the road. In fact I am THAT (cheap ass) consumer who mostly just buys used hard copy games, but sometimes makes exceptions to buy launch titles.

Would I be able to pick this baby up two years from now from the used section of Gamestop and bring it home, pop the disc in, download the game and play it? Orrr they will be some you need to go to the PS Store and purchase and redeem the game code etc. shenanigans involved?

Last edited:

Kerotan

Platinumed the first spyro. Took just over 6 hours. Super easy platinum. The nostalgia buzz was off the charts. It was my first ever game.

goldenpp72

I don't be think you've understood my post. I'm not saying Spyro is going to sell 10M in saying if a 3D platformer like Spyro could hit 10M it might inspire MS to make BK3.

MS won't make a BK3 unless they figure out a way to make it F2P at this point. It would be a dream come true if they did a real entry but, it's not going to happen.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Gex 2 had Mario 64 controls but faster at a higher fps.
I only played the N64 version, where the framerate is atrocious, so I do not know whether other versions actually had better framerates than Mario 64, but the controls are digital 8-ways controls with a terrible camera on top. It is much, much worse than Mario 64 in terms of control.

Finished Spyro 2, luckily only encountered 1 glitch, but it was a had to redo level bad glitch..

So can someone elaborate more on what an "Incomplete" game disc is for me? I specifically ask because I love buying used hard copy games (discs) for cheap months to years down the road. In fact I am THAT (cheap ass) consumer who mostly just buys used hard copy games, but sometimes makes exceptions to buy launch titles.

Would I be able to pick this baby up two years from now from the used section of Gamestop and bring it home, pop the disc in, download the game and play it? Orrr they will be some you need to go to the PS Store and purchase and redeem the game code etc. shenanigans involved?
It's a patch, so it automatically downloads the rest of the game as a update. So used should be fine.

I only played the N64 version, where the framerate is atrocious, so I do not know whether other versions actually had better framerates than Mario 64, but the controls are digital 8-ways controls with a terrible camera on top. It is much, much worse than Mario 64 in terms of control.

Gex 64 and Gex Enter the Gecko have several differences, one being the latter is playable.

MS won't make a BK3 unless they figure out a way to make it F2P at this point. It would be a dream come true if they did a real entry but, it's not going to happen.

or because Banjo never was that big of a seller. Tooie and Bolts aren't really big sellers, ad even the first game had ok sales. Especially in the US.

did spyro 120% and spyro 2 100%
as i never played Spyro 3 i am taking my time and waiting, due to being a bit fatigued on the gameplay.. its still good but after all those colorful worlds i just need a bit of break so i can appreciate it .. but the few levels i played of Spyro 3 looks good and seems a bit more imaginable than Spyro 2. The remakes was just what i needed and i will be replaying just like i do the originals ... that Said i don't think the remakes will replace the Originals as there are to many changes... both artistically to censored stuff. also the Charge and Swimming mechanics are questionable, I get why they did it but i still don't agree on it. especially the camera of the charge is very annoying and unforgivable. also i really don't like how noticeable the secret level in artisan world is so obvious i mean seriously it just looks so special that it makes no sense to even hide that level when you get a big glow and bling sound while jumping those stone pieces in the water.

Im looking for Blind playthroughs of Spyro if anyone found some good ones, where the player isn't getting suggestions and using Spark to track treasures let me know. using spark to locate the treasures takes a lot of the fun out of Spyro 1 at least.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Platinumed the first spyro. Took just over 6 hours. Super easy platinum. The nostalgia buzz was off the charts. It was my first ever game.

Congrats.

Im playing the Crash trilogy now and was hoping that would be fun nostalgia instead of getting pissed off with the difficulty. The first game is fucking brutal and they even changed hitboxes and jumping physics, making the platforming even more precise and demanding than it was on the PS1. I don't think that's really what people wanted.

Ill be getting the Spyro collection soon as it sounds like the better and more fun game to play today.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
These swimming controls are beyond stupid. Why is the movement inverted but the view isn’t? Why is there no option to not invert the view...?

Ugh...

100%ed and 1000/1000 the first game, on my way to doing the second d, but these swimming controls are hurting my head :(

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

KiteGr

Anyone knows when a proper retail is going to be released?
The current one seems to be missing a couple of games.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Anyone knows when a proper retail is going to be released?
The current one seems to be missing a couple of games.

There's next to no chance they're gonna re-release it on two discs. Not enough people care, sadly. Believe me, I'm on your side, but Activision probably don't give a shit.

Well they did re-release Crash N'Sane Trilogy on PS4 with the Switch and X1 version, no clue if they included the DLC on disc like those versions with the re-release though despite them being touted on the box just like those 2 versions, but I guess there is a small chance of Spyro complete if the Switch release happens....maybe.

Anyway, finally 100% all 3 games with a Platinum for Spyro 3.
g1b766T.jpg

Also got a lot of glitches in the final world of Spyro 3, plus a crash. This included a major framerate bug when finishing up 3 last night. The framerate got really laggy during a skateboarding mini game in a level, specifically when restarting it, and didn't stop until I excited back to the main menu and fixed itself. I assume a frame pacing bug.

KiteGr

There's next to no chance they're gonna re-release it on two discs. Not enough people care, sadly. Believe me, I'm on your side, but Activision probably don't give a shit.
But I know how to vote with my wallet. Whenever I see a game that it's DLC heavy, I wait for a complete edition or don't buy it at all.
Can you?!

CatCouch

Not so fun fact: I still can't download the massive patch on the Xbox one. *tears*

I did play through most of the first game before starting the download "which prevents me from playing at all" and it was pretty nice!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
But I know how to vote with my wallet. Whenever I see a game that it's DLC heavy, I wait for a complete edition or don't buy it at all.
Can you?!
I'm with you on waiting that one out. Make a full retail release happen, Activision!

AV

Can you?!

No, because I wanted it digitally anyway and the UK doesn't have bandwidth caps, so it doesn't affect me - but you should definitely not buy this if you want all 3 games on a disc, I'm with you!

Platinumed all 3, YAHOO!

Not so fun fact: I still can't download the massive patch on the Xbox one. *tears*

I did play through most of the first game before starting the download "which prevents me from playing at all" and it was pretty nice!
*Pats back* Damn you Activision!

After the Digital Foundry comparison I still don't understand why X1 file size is so much larger than PS4 since they're basically identical.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Finally 100%ed (well, you know) every game, 3000/3000 gamer points.

Such damn good fun... had so much fun with this...

I still believe it was rushed. Bugs galore, issues, controls, shoddy X patch...

But man did I enjoy it so much...

Raptomex

ust beat the first game on the X and felt right at home from the start. Took me back even though I still play the originals from time to time. Took me around 5 1/2 hours to reach 120%. I still remembered where most things were. The motion blur is certainly strong, the frame rate stutters quite frequently, and the changes to the Gnorc Commandos were completely unnecessary in my opinion. Also, I'm a little baffled that the camera is still stuck in 1998. But, overall, I thought it was fantastic. I appreciate some of the new QoL features/changes, too.

Looking forward to 2 since that was always my favorite. I used to play it religiously when I was a kid.

Kerotan

Lol I just noticed that there's a skeleton in this game doing the floss. If this was in the original then so much for all these modern dancers trying to claim credit for these age old rules.

Top Bottom